Pete Youngman semi-retires; accepts new position with Kings

This is an old script. "We've made the decision to eliminate your position. That decision has been made and it is not going to change. But it is up to you how gracefully it will happen.".

The most graceful way possible is to pay out fair severance thru payroll (for a year at least in Pete's case), with a new phony "consultant" title - and off you go to play golf or whatever. You get benefits, you accrue time off - it's very .... graceful.

But I would bet a decent bunch of change that he was "let go".

A long time employee does not "decide to take a new title"... no, a company decides to "give you a new title".

Sure Pete could say "take this job and shove it" but why should he? Why not play ball?

He was fired.
Believe what you like, but the statement from the Kings reads that he informed them he was stepping down. Also, one does not take a senior advisor role if fired and they certainly don't fire someone and then call them back and say "hey, just kidding about the firing earlier, how about a reduced role instead?"

I have not heard or read of any issues among the Kings staff in quite a while, in fact I have read the opposite about everyone generally being on the same page. His statement was very positive and it's clear that he will still be involved. Perhaps he has other interests that he would like to pursue or has issues of his own to take care of, but this definitely seems like it was his choice. There is no evidence of it being anything else other than Pete choosing to step down.

I don't know why people choose to ignore the obvious or try to spin a narrative that isn't even there, but I think your doom and gloom approach is unwarranted in this particular case. Seems pretty clear cut to me. A ton of staff all over the NBA have done that over the years, it really isn't anything new.

Unbelievable reading this thread. God luck, Pere, thanks for years of good work. You have earned the great reputation you have around the league.

I will say this maybe Pete’s departure/retirement/partial retirement was self selected, but this organization is on the hook for communicating these things and it has failed in its explanations. Is it those that react who are at fault or the messenger?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I will say this maybe Pete’s departure/retirement/partial retirement was self selected, but this organization is on the hook for communicating these things and it has failed in its explanations. Is it those that react who are at fault or the messenger?
What part of

Today, Pete informed the organization that he is stepping down from his day-to-day role as the Director of Sports Medicine and will serve as a Senior Advisor moving forward. Pete has been a vital asset to our organization over the past 25 years and we thank him for all of his invaluable contributions to the franchise. Pete will always be a part of the Sacramento Kings family, he is beloved by players, coaches, the management team and has a stellar reputation as a respected expert across the league and throughout the industry.
is "failing" in their explanation? Is this overreaction the fault of those that are overreacting? You bet it is.

What are they supposed to say?

The Sacramento Kings promise that Pete Youngman stepped down on his own and we really didn't fire him. Honest. We know you think we fired him and then gave him another job to save face but really this was Pete's idea. C'mon guys, don't look at us like that, it was really Pete all the way here. Would we lie to you? No! And are we lying to you now? No! Look, our fingers aren't crossed so you know we're telling the truth. Double pinky swear!

Last edited:
Some post expressesly boil down to: I just want to like the Kings, not examine whether the business is well run; I don’t know what happened here; but you shouldn’t talk about this either. Very on brand

It’s very unusual to be this bad in the nba for this long but it’s easier to do when a chunk of your fans are willfully blind regarding the fundamentals of your business

Entity

Hall of Famer
I think in todays world. Everybody feels like they are entitled to a complete and full explanation. No matter how much we cry and whine we aren't owed anything. Nobody knows the circumstances surrounding the retirement except the ones involved. Frankly its none of our business. Move on with life and let other people run their own business while you mind your own business. This should go for everything in this world today but doesn't.

Believe what you like, but the statement from the Kings reads that he informed them he was stepping down. Also, one does not take a senior advisor role if fired and they certainly don't fire someone and then call them back and say "hey, just kidding about the firing earlier, how about a reduced role instead?"

I have not heard or read of any issues among the Kings staff in quite a while, in fact I have read the opposite about everyone generally being on the same page. His statement was very positive and it's clear that he will still be involved. Perhaps he has other interests that he would like to pursue or has issues of his own to take care of, but this definitely seems like it was his choice. There is no evidence of it being anything else other than Pete choosing to step down.

I don't know why people choose to ignore the obvious or try to spin a narrative that isn't even there, but I think your doom and gloom approach is unwarranted in this particular case. Seems pretty clear cut to me. A ton of staff all over the NBA have done that over the years, it really isn't anything new.
Well said. There are times when I find myself embarrassed to be part of this KF community, and other times when I am proud to be a part of it. A lot of the posts in this string put me in the embarrassed category. Why assume the worst in people if you don't know? That's actually not helpful, and in fact can be hurtful. It's like the insecure person who breaks up with their boyfriend/girlfriend before he/she can break up with them. One should feel embarrassed to be so insecure, but insecure people can't see beyond their own nose. There could be a million legitimate reasons why Pete Youngman would want to step down - that don't have anything to do with anyone's incompetence.

The Kings younger trainers look like they know what they're doing and have their fingers on the pulse of the new age cutting edge of technology that is out in sports medicine. I wouldn't be worried.

I do not have a beef with anybody here. Not at all. I swear. I also don't have a dog in the "was Pete Youngman good" fight. I sometimes can't resist a set-up for a sarcastic barb and I apologize I'm trying to become a better person.

But I know from personal experience - as firer, and as firee ... it is not tin-hat stuff to say that all this scripting - the lovey dovey statement from Pete and from the organization - is consistent with an amicable departure which is almost always pretty much initiated by "the organization". I invite anybody who doubts me to go up to your boss and tell her you have decided to take an advisory position.

I think in todays world. Everybody feels like they are entitled to a complete and full explanation. No matter how much we cry and whine we aren't owed anything. Nobody knows the circumstances surrounding the retirement except the ones involved. Frankly its none of our business. Move on with life and let other people run their own business while you mind your own business. This should go for everything in this world today but doesn't.
I don't need/expect more from the Kings or Pete. What bothers me is all the reading of the tea leaves from outside the organization. There are stories or narratives created with whispers and ideas that may or may not have truth to them and it's a little crazy. If there is a story here about some nefarious types in the Kings organization who are targeting competent professionals then lets hear it. If Pete was indeed forced out because of something other than regular business activities then go find that story. I'd like to know if those reports or feelings or indigestion are rooted in something real or are just the doom and gloom of fans who have seen to many Ls

I do not have a beef with anybody here. Not at all. I swear. I also don't have a dog in the "was Pete Youngman good" fight. I sometimes can't resist a set-up for a sarcastic barb and I apologize I'm trying to become a better person.

But I know from personal experience - as firer, and as firee ... it is not tin-hat stuff to say that all this scripting - the lovey dovey statement from Pete and from the organization - is consistent with an amicable departure which is almost always pretty much initiated by "the organization". I invite anybody who doubts me to go up to your boss and tell her you have decided to take an advisory position.
I don't mind if the Kings decide that his position is not needed anymore, that's a legitimate business decision albeit a difficult one. But is that the dark and loathsome power at work in the Kings that some "in the know" people are concerned about? That's what I don't know. I guess I'm just bugged by the clouded narrative that some seem to be stuck on.

Devils advocate here. What if Pete has really wanted to call it quits for a couple years, finally decided to pull the trigger and the Kings asked him to at least stay around in an advisory role to ensure his departure is met with very little interruption and that what he set up continues?

That's how proactive transitions work in the business world when they are not adversarial.

From all accounts, Pete is and was one of the best and so was the Kings training staff. This was one area that this organization excelled.

Devils advocate here. What if Pete has really wanted to call it quits for a couple years, finally decided to pull the trigger and the Kings asked him to at least stay around in an advisory role to ensure his departure is met with very little interruption and that what he set up continues?

That's how proactive transitions work in the business world when they are not adversarial.

From all accounts, Pete is and was one of the best and so was the Kings training staff. This was one area that this organization excelled.
Totally possible and reasonable.

Now to go to the other side. Carmichael Dave's response to this was not encouraging. He's obviously been wrong about stuff like this before, but it's seemed murky at best.
Bless CD's heart. I'm glad to hear from him here from time to time. And if he said that he heard from a reliable source that Vlade was going to be replaced, I would tend to think there's something there. BUT, CD is a talk show host who survives by practicing controversiality. (Is that a word?) I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with that, but I think one needs to keep that in perspective.
Also I should say that I forgive Dave for becoming more cynical of the Kings as the years pass. How can one not be touched by cynicism after so many years of ineptitude and bad fortune?

Bless CD's heart. I'm glad to hear from him here from time to time. And if he said that he heard from a reliable source that Vlade was going to be replaced, I would tend to think there's something there. BUT, CD is a talk show host who survives by practicing controversiality. (Is that a word?) I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with that, but I think one needs to keep that in perspective.
Also I should say that I forgive Dave for becoming more cynical of the Kings as the years pass. How can one not be touched by cynicism after so many years of ineptitude and bad fortune?
At this point if you aren't cynical of this franchise I don't trust you.

I get the loss of a Sacramento Staple can be discouraging. But trainers come and go. The number one problem this team has is no legit SF and no pick next year. And we better spend that 10 mil now cuz other teams are gonna clean up the talent next year. Bite the bullet and trade for Wiggins or sign hood alrwady

Hi all.

I’ve made posts about this stuff before.

I know there are many who would rather not hear about any of this, so to them i say with love- scroll past this.

I appreciate everyone’s reasoned takes on this, I completely get it. This is my least favorite thing about the confluence of my job and my fandom.

Someone said (very respectfully too I may add) that I’ve been “wrong about this stuff before”). Guys, I say with all humility, I haven’t.

I know these people. I know how it works. I wish I didn’t. And I wish I could speak freely and not be some “rabble rouser” speaking in code and in half-statements. But there are other lives being affected.

Anyone who knows me knows I will speak to that in which I believe harms or could harm our fanbase, city, or team. I can’t say everything, but I can do my best to lay breadcrumbs.

Someday the light will shine. And then we can revisit all this.

Granger
Amazeen
Merchant
Gumpert
Jacobs
Rau
Moak
Braden
Garcia
Youngman
Blankenship

That’s a partial list of amazing, hard working people that have either been “moved” or left, mostly recently.

This isn’t run of the mill business type employee maneuvering. It’s the mistreatment of really good people.

I know they’ll read this (the Kings), and as I told many there yesterday I’ll always be fair and honest.

But what you’re seeing isn’t the entire story. It just isn’t. Flame me all you want if you wish, or scroll past.

As to being a radio host and dealing in controversy, that’s fair. But in this case that’s not what it’s about. In fact, other than asking Kenny Thomas what Pete meant to the players (at 8:55 as my show was ending), I didn’t speak a word of it today. It’s not a “ratings grabber”

But in my opinion what happens behind the scenes affects what we see on the floor, directly and indirectly. If i know about it, players and agents and coaches and GMs know about it. Trust me.

This is an ongoing problem that continues to hamper and hinder and hamstring our franchise. It’s just not as easy to diagnose as a poor rebounder or floundering offense.

But to me, it’s also deeper. It’s about loyalty, what this team represents, which in part is a place where good people can live here and thrive and be a part of something. The Kings are more than just a team to many of us, they’re a reflection of the spirit and culture of our city.

And good people just keep getting shuffled and dealt.

That’s a problem for me, and morally I can’t just ignore it and be quiet. I feel like that’s a lie by omission to the city and fanbase I try to serve and be a part of.

I just wish more people who know things would speak out as well. I expect they will in due time.

I don’t expect this post to do anything but act as a bookmark that we can revisit someday to openly talk about it. Be well.
Unfortunately, the one causing all the issues is the same that cannot be shuffled or made to leave.

Hi all.

I know there are many who would rather not hear about any of this, so to them i say with love- scroll past this.

I appreciate everyone’s reasoned takes on this, I completely get it. This is my least favorite thing about the confluence of my job and my fandom.

Someone said (very respectfully too I may add) that I’ve been “wrong about this stuff before”). Guys, I say with all humility, I haven’t.

I know these people. I know how it works. I wish I didn’t. And I wish I could speak freely and not be some “rabble rouser” speaking in code and in half-statements. But there are other lives being affected.

Anyone who knows me knows I will speak to that in which I believe harms or could harm our fanbase, city, or team. I can’t say everything, but I can do my best to lay breadcrumbs.

Granger
Amazeen
Merchant
Gumpert
Jacobs
Rau
Moak
Braden
Garcia
Youngman
Blankenship

That’s a partial list of amazing, hard working people that have either been “moved” or left, mostly recently.

This isn’t run of the mill business type employee maneuvering. It’s the mistreatment of really good people.

I know they’ll read this (the Kings), and as I told many there yesterday I’ll always be fair and honest.

But what you’re seeing isn’t the entire story. It just isn’t. Flame me all you want if you wish, or scroll past.

As to being a radio host and dealing in controversy, that’s fair. But in this case that’s not what it’s about. In fact, other than asking Kenny Thomas what Pete meant to the players (at 8:55 as my show was ending), I didn’t speak a word of it today. It’s not a “ratings grabber”

But in my opinion what happens behind the scenes affects what we see on the floor, directly and indirectly. If i know about it, players and agents and coaches and GMs know about it. Trust me.

This is an ongoing problem that continues to hamper and hinder and hamstring our franchise. It’s just not as easy to diagnose as a poor rebounder or floundering offense.

But to me, it’s also deeper. It’s about loyalty, what this team represents, which in part is a place where good people can live here and thrive and be a part of something. The Kings are more than just a team to many of us, they’re a reflection of the spirit and culture of our city.

That’s a problem for me, and morally I can’t just ignore it and be quiet. I feel like that’s a lie by omission to the city and fanbase I try to serve and be a part of.

I just wish more people who know things would speak out as well. I expect they will in due time.

I don’t expect this post to do anything but act as a bookmark that we can revisit someday to openly talk about it. Be well.
So basically Vivek is a crapty owner...

Hi all.

Granger
Amazeen
Merchant
Gumpert
Jacobs
Rau
Moak
Braden
Garcia
Youngman
Blankenship

I appreciate you coming in and saying outright that Pete's situation along with several others isn't just the standard business stuff but there is something more to it. I get that you aren't necessarily a journalist either so getting scoop isn't really what you do. Thanks for being as clear as you feel you can. I can't speak for anyone else, but this answers at least some of my frustrations with the coded messages.

Hi all.

Granger
Amazeen
Merchant
Gumpert
Jacobs
Rau
Moak
Braden
Garcia
Youngman
Blankenship

I want to pin this forever because

a) Carmichael Dave is confirming that Coyote95667 is right. Coyote95667 agrees with a CD take. Miracle.
b) It will probably be an exhibit in a Dateline Episode "Was it really an accident? The CD mystery". Taking on this lady takes some huge brass ones. Many/most are afraid to speak truth about the regime. For a reason... I'm kinda scared too. I can totally see the episode unfolding before our eyes.

PS: Is Shareef an omission from the list or is his case different?