Trading Our Cap Space

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
That Cap Space will never have more value than it does right NOW
With nobody to sign that cap space is going to peak at the trade deadline when teams are desperate to either clear space to get under the lux tax because they have crashed and burned or to make room for next year because they are a piece away. Or they might want a Willie or Kosta or something to make a run now.

And that's when we're going to get max value for the assets we have.

Also we'll know if the 1st round draft pick we're acquiring is any good or not. Maybe we don't even want 2019 given there doesn't seem to be a lot of hype around this class.

Since Bjelly has been signed, but Yogi has not signed yet (twitter post in FA thread)
Sounds like its possible Vlade might be Pick shopping with 14 mil in Cap space then could sign Yogi after
a Ryan and 2 1sts is still possible We waive Davis , send Bmac and 14 cap space
Rockets have money for capela and Melo
We spend 34 for 1 or 2 picks?

I just don't see who OKC could dump to reduce sal 14M

Only other cap deal Would be Lakers Deng 18 less Ben 5.4
not a biggie this yr for them- maybe clear 8 mil for a 1 yr deal
But between Ben exp and deng they get 23.6 towards next yr Kawahi deal

We spend 36 for 1 or 2 picks?

Highest bidder right now before Yogi signs?

Since Bjelly has been signed, but Yogi has not signed yet (twitter post in FA thread)
Sounds like its possible Vlade might be Pick shopping with 14 mil in Cap space then could sign Yogi after
a Ryan and 2 1sts is still possible We waive Davis , send Bmac and 14 cap space
Rockets have money for capela and Melo
We spend 34 for 1 or 2 picks?

I just don't see who OKC could dump to reduce sal 14M

Only other cap deal Would be Lakers Deng 18 less Ben 5.4
not a biggie this yr for them- maybe clear 8 mil for a 1 yr deal
But between Ben exp and deng they get 23.6 towards next yr Kawahi deal

We spend 36 for 1 or 2 picks?

Highest bidder right now before Yogi signs?
It's not $14 million for OKC. It would be alot more since they pay tax on that $14 million.

It's not $14 million for OKC. It would be alot more since they pay tax on that $14 million.
I suppose they could send Roberson and Singler 15 m after we stretch Davis(cant trade for mult players)
OKC saves 15 mil sal and 50m in tax?
But with Yogi we would have 17 contracts

I suppose after the trade could waive Ben and Singler?
wow that's 3 players we pay to go away 12m plus + 14m cap space this yr and 10 cap next year?
do they even have any 1st picks left to trade?

Last edited:
I think the Kings are going to try and swing a salary dump trade with Toronto, before they sign Yogi to his contract.

If you look at the math of the Temple trade, it brought back more "movable" contracts in Ben Mac (5.5 mil) and Deyonta Davis (1.5 mil).

If you look at how much Toronto is over the Luxury Tax, it's about 11 million.

They have 2 players that are expendable in that price range to get them below the Luxury Tax, Danny Green (10 mil for 1 year) and CJ Miles (8.33 mil and 8.7 mil (player option).

Since Ben Mac, Davis and Green were just traded, they can only be traded in a One for One deal.

To circumvent the rules, the Kings can do two separate one for one trades.

First they trade Ben Mclemore (1 year at 5.5 mil) for CJ Miles (at 2 years and 17 mil) and a 1st rounder.

Then trade Deyonta Davis (1.5 mil) for Danny Green (10 mil) for a 2nd rounder or draft considerations in a separate trade.

Toronto shaves off 11.33 million and saves them from the Luxury Tax and saves approximately 20 million in salary.

Then the Kings get a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder (or draft considerations) and 2 serviceable small forwards for our troubles.

After the trades, the Kings sign Yogi with part of their MLE or room exception.

It's a win-win-win.

Last edited:
I think the Kings are going to swing a salary dump trade with Toronto, before they sign Yogi to his contract.

If you look at the math of the Temple trade, it brought back more "movable" contracts in Ben Mac (5.5 mil) and Deyonta Davis (1.5 mil).

They have 2 players that are expendable in that price range to get them below the Luxury Tax, Danny Green (10 mil for 1 year) and CJ Miles (8.33 mil and 8.7 mil (player option).

Since Ben Mac, Davis and Green were just traded, they can only be traded in a One for One deal.

First they trade Ben Mclemore (1 year at 5.5 mil) for CJ Miles (at 2 years and 17 mil) and a 1st rounder.

Then trade Deyonta Davis (1.5 mil) for Danny Green (10 mil) for a 2nd rounder or draft considerations in a separate trade.

Toronto shaves off 11.33 million and saves them from the Luxury Tax and saves approximately 20 million in salary.

Then the Kings get a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder (or draft considerations) and 2 serviceable small forwards for our troubles.

It's a win-win-win.
I have several trade cap space possibilities in the trading cap space thread
The problem here and in several senarios is roster spaces
With Yogi we are at 16 contracts
Since these two trades are 1for1 and 1for1, we would still have to cut or waive someone
or need another trade

Since we are getting 2 SF, maybe trade Switch Justin for Davis on the trade, waive Davis
or just waive Justin?(or look for a trade for Justin for a 2nd rd pick)

Who would we cut/trade?
We need mason for PG depth
Not sure I would cut WCS or Skal . 1 for 1 trade doesnt help

Last edited:
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/07/23/report-raptors-motivated-to-make-salary-shedding-trade/

Story about toronto not wnating to be in luxury tax territory

We could easily accomodate a trade but I would insist OG Annouby be included.

In: Big Val and OG (18.5)
Out: WCS amd Skal (6.2) 12.3 in capspace

*They can have Kosta if they want as he is not that different than Big Val.

Toronto gets out of 35M in luxury tax (per article) they have Kawhi, Green, and Powell on the wing already

Kings get a really good wing for three years. As a rookie he was playing heavy minutes in the playoffs, and at times defending oppositions best offensive player. We also help clear logjam of bigs

Right now we have 14M in cap as we are looking to use space, then sign yogi with Room MLE.

Fox/Yogi
Bogi/Buddy
OG/Bjelica or Shump
Giles/Bagley
Val/WCS (or Kosta, trade dependent)

Last edited:
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/07/23/report-raptors-motivated-to-make-salary-shedding-trade/

Toronto gets out of 35M in luxury tax (per article) they have Kawhi, Green, and Powell on the wing already

Kings get a really good wing for three years. As a rookie he was playing heavy minutes in the playoffs, and at times defending oppositions best offensive player. We also help clear logjam of bigs

Right now we have 14M in cap as we are looking to use space, then sign yogi with Room MLE.

Fox/Yogi
Bogi/Buddy
OG/Bjelica or Shump
Giles/Bagley
I don't think we could get OG easily. Perhaps a future first, but even that's tough in case they rebuild soon. 2019 all ready to Spurs. They'd probably try to get someone to take 2 seconds or something like that.

I have several trade cap space possibilities in the trading cap space thread
The problem here and in several senarios is roster spaces
With Yogi we are at 16 contracts
Since these two trades are 1for1 and 1for1, we would still have to cut or waive someone
or need another trade

Since we are getting 2 SF, maybe trade Switch Justin for Davis on the trade, waive Davis
or just waive Justin?(or look for a trade for Justin for a 2nd rd pick)

Who would we cut/trade?
We need mason for PG depth
Not sure I would cut WCS or Skal . 1 for 1 trade doesnt help
I think we are allowed to carry more than 15 signed contracts in the off season.

We have to cut down to 15 signed players by the end of the preseason.

We would need to make another roster move before the end of preseason. Try to unload an extra big like ZBo, KK for a 2nd rounder or we may just need to release or waive someone if a trade can't be made.

There are 4 teams with over 15 signed players right now, Clippers(18), Utah (16), Phoenix(16), and Denver(16). Lakers have 18 signed, but 3 are training camp contracts.

Last edited:

Fox/Yogi
Bogi/Buddy
OG/Bjelica or Shump
Giles/Bagley

Would still need to cut/trade player to get to 15
Would do it with no picks just to Get OG
Not sure Toronto gives that much away

Last edited:
I would imagine the Raptors are very interested to see how a death lineup of...

Lowry
Green
Leonard
Anunoby
Ibaka

...performs. You potentially have three 40% 3pt shooters in that lineup while everyone probably is above 36-37%. Defensively, it would probably be one of the strongest lineups in the league. I’m very interested to see how they do and Anunoby will play a big role in that success.

I had posted this salary dump trade proposal on the Yogi Ferrel thread.

I think the Kings are going to try and swing a salary dump trade with Toronto, before they sign Yogi to his contract.

Some of the players may need to be switched around. But I think Toronto seems the most logical salary dump destination.

From what I heard Danny Green and Kawhi are close friends. Toronto is having enough trouble getting Kawhi to commit to their team. Trading Green would only make things harder.

The Kings are the basically the last chance for any team that is significantly over (i.e. 10 mil+ over) the Luxury Tax threshold to get back under it.

If I'm Vlade, I'm asking for a future 1st rounder (or young SF with potential (OG?) and a 2nd rounder at the minimum for the chance at getting out of Luxury Tax hell! ;)

Toronto would like to move Norman Powell.....not OG
Powell's one of the worst albatross contracts in the NBA.

I seriously don't know what they were thinking when they gave him that contract. 4 years and $40 million for a player that has never averaged more than 18 min and 8 points/game. No Thanks.

They would have to give us 3 unprotected 1st rounders to take that. :eek:

If not OG, I would be okay with a future 1st rounder in a salary dump trade, but I wouldn't touch Powell's contract with a ten foot pole.

Last edited:
no powell please
Raptors 15.9 over lux cap per spotrac

Give them all of our cap 14 Mil
Davis 1.544,JJ 2.808 14 mil cap 18.352 for Miles 8.333,Green 10.000 2021 1st, 2022 swap 1st
(Separate trades)

Saves them 14M Sal, 27m tax plus 8.7m next yr thats 50M

Still need player spot so trade or stretch Ben

Last edited:
My best attempt at acquiring Anunoby (a player the Raptors supposedly refused to include in a trade for KAWHI LEONARD):

Willie Cauley-Stein
Skal Labissiere
Justin Jackson

for

Jonas Valanciunas
OG Anunoby

Sheds $9.5 mil in salary this year while acquiring a replacement to Anunoby in Jackson and some much needed frontcourt depth (big man rotation of Siakam, Labissiere, Ibaka, & Cauley-Stein).

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

It's a win-win-win.
Hunch, wish or based on something you've seen elsewhere? Considering Yogi's summer basketball camps schedules, I think he'll be here once those are done. My hunch is people are reading too much into this but who knows? The only thing I know for sure is our front office is no longer leaking like a sieve.

Hunch, wish or based on something you've seen elsewhere? Considering Yogi's summer basketball camps schedules, I think he'll be here once those are done. My hunch is people are reading too much into this but who knows? The only thing I know for sure is our front office is no longer leaking like a sieve.
I think you are right

If Yogi signs today the 23rd or on Thurs 26th, Then our cap space goes back to 11 mil
and unless there is a trade of some sorts between now and Feb deadline
Will probably be no cap trade for picks or players until then

It has been very crazy on the boards ever since the lottery landed us at the 2 spot
all the way thru the draft, and then until FA on 7/1 then for 3 weeks waiting for the FA moves over the weekend

This last rumor about a cap trade before Yogi Signs is sort of us fans Last Hoorah
to post the last two days to speculate on another transaction. once the official signing happens
It pretty much means we have officially started TDOS

that of course means I will be going through serious KingsFans withdraw symptoms
You know :
1. Opening up the Kingfans site and pressing refresh button 20 times before I give up
and actually have to do some work on my Computer
2. going to HoopsHype just to look at meaningless Gossip

On the bright side the First Bears game is on 8/2 (Hall of Fame Game)
so maybe my suffering will be short lived

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think you are right

If Yogi signs today the 23rd or on Thurs 26th, Then our cap space goes back to 11 mil
and unless there is a trade of some sorts between now and Feb deadline
Will probably be no cap trade for picks or players until then

It has been very crazy on the boards ever since the lottery landed us at the 2 spot
all the way thru the draft, and then until FA on 7/1 then for 3 weeks waiting for the FA moves over the weekend

This last rumor about a cap trade before Yogi Signs is sort of us fans Last Hoorah
to post the last two days to speculate on another transaction. once the official signing happens
It pretty much means we have officially started TDOS

that of course means I will be going through serious KingsFans withdraw symptoms
You know :
1. Opening up the Kingfans site and pressing refresh button 20 times before I give up
and actually have to do some work on my Computer
2. going to HoopsHype just to look at meaningless Gossip

On the bright side the First Bears game is on 8/2 (Hall of Fame Game)
so maybe my suffering will be short lived
Another Bears fan? Yes!

Just a hunch. ;)

Seeing that the Kings are the only team still with ample cap space (prior to Yogi officially signing) to take a salary dump and several teams in dire need to dump salary to get under the Luxury Tax, I can only hope we make something out of our cap space, before it goes poof! ;)

Looks like the Yogi Ferrell signing is official now.

Not much salary cap space left to offer in a salary dump trade now.

Hopefully, we can still do something positive in a trade or salary dump with the salary cap space we have left.

so with 10.992mil cap space and 16 players, it would depend who is cut in training camp
Can we cut Davis then sign him to a two-way contract to go with Jakaar?

so with 10.992mil cap space and 16 players, it would depend who is cut in training camp
Can we cut Davis then sign him to a two-way contract to go with Jakaar?
You probably could, but most agents would be against their clients staying with a team that just cut them from a big league roster. They would see it as a sign you don't believe in them.

Most likely he would sign with another team, if he is cut, unless he has no other option.