Michael Porter Jr

"Underwent surgery last week to try to address issues that have persisted with herniated discs in his back."

He waited until after the draft to address issues he (and his agent) were obviously well aware of. That leads me to believe there is more of a chance of him being the next Greg Oden than him ever seeing success in the NBA.

Can you imagine the uproar if Vlade had selected him at #2 and then this came up? I think those few who were dumping on our front office for passing on him need to admit there was more there than was being told.
My understanding is that one of his discs was so bad if it wasn't already removed it was a certainty in the near future and maintained we should go nowhere near him. That's without seeing his medicals.

I am mainly just playing devil's advocate here, but also not blind to the fact that our medical situation in America is in complete chaos and that the services available to a kid in high school vs. those available to a freshly signed multimillionaire with an NBA level medical team behind him and footing the bill make all the difference in the world.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My understanding is that one of his discs was so bad if it wasn't already removed it was a certainty in the near future and maintained we should go nowhere near him. That's without seeing his medicals.

I am mainly just playing devil's advocate here, but also not blind to the fact that our medical situation in America is in complete chaos and that the services available to a kid in high school vs. those available to a freshly signed multimillionaire with an NBA level medical team behind him and footing the bill make all the difference in the world.
Regardless of the "medical situation," he knew there was a problem. He and his agent didn't want it to come out, which is why they were so hesitant to release his medical records.

MOD NOTE: The medical situation in America is a topic best left for another forum since there is ZERO chance it wouldn't almost immediately dissolve into a political discussion.

Regardless of the "medical situation," he knew there was a problem. He and his agent didn't want it to come out, which is why they were so hesitant to release his medical records.

MOD NOTE: The medical situation in America is a topic best left for another forum since there is ZERO chance it wouldn't almost immediately dissolve into a political discussion.
My larger point is that until a month ago, everything in his life revolved around getting a team to draft him and make the financial investment in his career with the resources he had. Now that he is set for four years he can focus on rehab and treatment for the first time in his life. It's the same type of argument with Doncic not being athletic by American standards - well let's just see what happens when he gets on an American training plan and reaching that level of fitness becomes his job.

I still wouldn't touch him, I am just hopeful for the sake of what seems like a nice kid that he'll be able to run up and down the court at the end of his rookie deal.

Pretty foreseeable outcome given all the cloak and dagger stuff pre-draft. Just goes to highlight how little work our precious local media like Ham, Jones, Christie, and Napear put into their draft prep. 3/4 predicted Porter as the pick right up until they got word from the team that it would be Bagley. Just shockingly lazy for a one-team town.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Pretty foreseeable outcome given all the cloak and dagger stuff pre-draft. Just goes to highlight how little work our precious local media like Ham, Jones, Christie, and Napear put into their draft prep. 3/4 predicted Porter as the pick right up until they got word from the team that it would be Bagley. Just shockingly lazy for a one-team town.
I'll agree on Ham and Jones. I don't need to go into my opinion on either at this point.

But I disagree with Christie and Napear. They are broadcast radio/TV guys and have a sports radio show, they are not "insiders" or reporters as the others purport to be.

It's kind of hard to call them lazy for not having access to his medicals, which no one but a few teams had. They always said their prediction was based on if his medicals checked out.