Carmelo Anthony

Would you trade for Melo to get a first and second round pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
many of you aren't understanding..

Carmelo only has 1 yr left. We'd get a future 1st for absorbing his contract for 1yr. After the trade, we can just buy him out and let him do whatever he wants.

Essentially, we're using up our free cap space to gain a future 1st. That's a good deal considering the FA market has dried up.
Any deal like this is what many have been advocating for for years. Been very annoying watching other teams use their cap space to essentially buy future 1sts while we on the other hand chase middling and over the hill free agents

Just don't see the value. Not sure what OKC can offer to hamstring the Kings for the entire season to eat that cap space.

In other words, this FO hasn't exactly made any good cap deals, bad track record...
How does it hamstring us? Which FAs are out there that we are targeting to be part of our future? How does it impact our long term flexibility? If there is a chance to pick some draft assets, what's wrong in it, as long as the owners are willing to pony up the money?

Yes I'd trade for Melo if it meant we'd get a future first round pick. We have the cap space to absorb his deal and we can then organize a buy out if he doesn't want to play here. Though I think we could use him for a year as a go to scoring option, but whether we'd want Melo around our young core is debatable.

Exta
How does it hamstring us? Which FAs are out there that we are targeting to be part of our future? How does it impact our long term flexibility? If there is a chance to pick some draft assets, what's wrong in it, as long as the owners are willing to pony up the money?
Exactly what I said. What is the downside?

You're ok with a pick in the 20's in a few years? I mean that's fine if so. I don't really like it, unless a better pick becomes available from another team. Just don't like a strategic move to use $18 million for a future late first round pick and also limiting any other opportunities that may arise between now and the trade deadline.

There was even a rumor about Memphis willing to give up their #4 pick to take on Chandler Parsons.

Yes I'd trade for Melo if it meant we'd get a future first round pick. We have the cap space to absorb his deal and we can then organize a buy out if he doesn't want to play here. Though I think we could use him for a year as a go to scoring option, but whether we'd want Melo around our young core is debatable.
No and no. Trade for picks not for him . Buy him out before he even sets foot in Sacramento

P
You're ok with a pick in the 20's in a few years? I mean that's fine if so. I don't really like it, unless a better pick becomes available from another team. Just don't like a strategic move to use $18 million for a future late first round pick and also limiting any other opportunities that may arise between now and the trade deadline.

There was even a rumor about Memphis willing to give up their #4 pick to take on Chandler Parsons.
How many years are left in Parsons contract?

No and no. Trade for picks not for him . Buy him out before he even sets foot in Sacramento
So what would you be happy with if the Kings used their cap space for picks with OKC? Two 1st rounders? No team will give up two future #1's since the Nets disaster a few years back.

One future late 1st for $18 million? And that 18 million isn't just money, it's a huge piece for the Kings to make trades etc.

So what would you be happy with if the Kings used their cap space for picks with OKC? Two 1st rounders? No team will give up two future #1's since the Nets disaster a few years back.

One future late 1st for $18 million? And that 18 million isn't just money, it's a huge piece for the Kings to make trades etc.
What exact trades are you referring to we would miss out on?

I give up. ha. I'm not even opposed to trading the cap space if a better pick came along, but a late 1st for that amount of cap isn't my cup-o-tea.

I give up. ha. I'm not even opposed to trading the cap space if a better pick came along, but a late 1st for that amount of cap isn't my cup-o-tea.
You realize this the perfect cap dump as the is only for one year. We still maintain maximum flexibility going forward. Or are you suggesting taking on a longer contract for a possible better return? Because I am not.

Right, but you still haven't said what you think would be a fair deal from OKC for the Kings. I'm seriously asking because I don't think they have any assets to give, other than a late 1st rounder which isn't a fair trade imo.

I'm curious for everyone advocating this as a trade proposal. What would you ask for from OKC for the cap space?

Right, but you still haven't said what you think would be a fair deal from OKC for the Kings. I'm seriously asking because I don't think they have any assets to give, other than a late 1st rounder which isn't a fair trade imo.

I'm curious for everyone advocating this as a trade proposal. What would you ask for from OKC for the cap space?
I already answered that in the original post. Also it would be a future picks.

The argument for keeping him around is that the team should have no intention to be bad next season. So having a 20 a night Melo combined with reduced pressure to score to Fox, Bogdanovic, and Bagley could be a good thing. It might also create opportunities for them if teams zone in on Melo. It's a one year rental for someone that could offer us a much needed offensive punch, something we clearly lack at this point.

But I'd expect him to want a buy out and not play here. So for OKC I'd makes no sense since they might as well buy him out and keep their pick.

I already answered that in the original post. Also it would be a future picks.
I just think it would make a lot more sense to do something like this if:

1. Kings had a bad contract beyond one year
2. A first rounder that has lotto potential (even if protected to a degree) or at the most top 15... and I'd still be leery.
3. OKC had a young player or a Euro stash to throw in.

I mean a magical first round pick can actually be just a few picks away from a 2nd round pick. OKC still has a pretty good regular season roster for the foreseeable future.

Just think about (I try not to) what Philly got so the Kings could dump salary:

2015: Kings trade Nik Stauskas, Carl Landry, Jason Thompson, 2019 Unprotected first round pick, and two pick swap options for rights to Lithuanian prospect Arturas Gudaitis and Serbian prospect Luka Mitrovic, and a future second round pick.
Return: The Kings got $13 million in cap space

Well, this has all been a waste a time for all of us now that the Kings went all in on LaVine... haha. Maybe you guys were right after all.

Let me know what you're thinking would be a good deal for the Kings with OKC and their assets then we'll talk.

Smart and Anderson would help this team grow and are worth value as well. No to any vets like last couple of offseasons.

Never said anything about any additional players with cap space means this team will be anywhere near playoff contention, but certainly a step closer. But good luck with your 2022 1st rounder in the 20-30 range while handcuffing the Kings this year as far as any other deals that may materialize, as ockingsfan pointed out ^^^.

If this FO had a Sam Hinkie type, then I may change my thinking a bit.
What about this aren't you understanding? The difference between a 33 win team and a 38 win team while spending 20 million a year PROVIDES NO VALUE TO THE TEAM BECAUSE IT ISN'T HELPING THEM COMPETE IN THE POST SEASON. Spending money on something that will benefit the team, like prospects or draft assets, provide value in future moves and players WHEN THE TEAM WILL NEED THEM, because right now, a player provides no benefit.

Just read the Kings offered Lavine 20 mil a year for four years. That is such a crap deal, because the Kings will just starting to be good as he enters the last year of his deal and they won't HAVE ANYTHING TO SHOW FOR the 20 million a year. So dumb.

I'm done with this team. Such a short-sighted, bush league move. The difference between FOs like the Spurs, Boston, Philly (under Sam), Golden State, etc are far and away the difference between good teams and bad ones, who can't stop making bad decisions.

What about this aren't you understanding? The difference between a 33 win team and a 38 win team while spending 20 million a year PROVIDES NO VALUE TO THE TEAM BECAUSE IT ISN'T HELPING THEM COMPETE IN THE POST SEASON. Spending money on something that will benefit the team, like prospects or draft assets, provide value in future moves and players WHEN THE TEAM WILL NEED THEM, because right now, a player provides no benefit.

Just read the Kings offered Lavine 20 mil a year for four years. That is such a crap deal, because the Kings will just starting to be good as he enters the last year of his deal and they won't HAVE ANYTHING TO SHOW FOR the 20 million a year. So dumb.

I'm done with this team. Such a short-sighted, bush league move. The difference between FOs like the Spurs, Boston, Philly (under Sam), Golden State, etc are far and away the difference between good teams and bad ones, who can't stop making bad decisions.
Wow - easy there. I wasn't even arguing against the premise, just didn't like what OKC had to offer. Look at what the Kings gave the Sixers, which was horrible, but something in the middle would've been nice. ;) And for the record, I wasn't advocating spending $20 million in this thread on one player. Just wanted a better deal.

Kings will still have a nice chunk next offseason so if they are showing they are on the upswing, then maybe this is part of the plan. We'll see.

You've been operating on here for the last week or two under the assumption that there are deals on the table for salary dumps in exchange for draft picks. They aren't there dude. Teams just aren't offering them. I don't know why you're acting as if Vlade can just pull the trigger at any moment and acquire a first round pick in exchange for salary. They're simply not available else Vlade or some other team would have done it.

Teams especially aren't going to do it right now when the free agency market has dried up.

You've been operating on here for the last week or two under the assumption that there are deals on the table for salary dumps in exchange for draft picks. They aren't there dude. Teams just aren't offering them. I don't know why you're acting as if Vlade can just pull the trigger at any moment and acquire a first round pick in exchange for salary. They're simply not available else Vlade or some other team would have done it.

Teams especially aren't going to do it right now when the free agency market has dried up.
OKC wants to deal Melo for a salary dump and buyout. That's been confirmed. There are obviously other teams hurting because they are way over the cap.

My arguments were based on getting two picks from them. I'm actually okay with the pick being a few years away. We have several young players we need to develop now. Adding more now does not help much. Plus, there is a greater chance that OKC will be worse in a few years, since they have virtually no way to improve their roster.

I haven't heard of any better deals out there. Could something come up before the season starts, or before the deadline? Sure. We can wait. However, if we wait, and the Thunder stretch him, or trade him elsewhere, we lose a chance.

Apart from the owners losing some dough, we don't lose anything BB wise from this move (potential lost opportunity for something else that may come up aside). The amounts being mentioned is not chump change, so I can understand the reluctance to pay out huge sums to purchase picks that won't materialize till a few years. From a BB perspective itself, I'm okay with the trade.

This is of course all theoretical. We have no idea if either side has even considered it, and what the OKC will be ready to offer if something does come up.

Yes you would do it even for a 2021 pick, Westbrook is heading towards 30 and plays 100% based on athletic ability he will most likely break down and that would probably lead to OKC rebuilding and shipping PG13. If we don't sign Hood/Smart this is a complete no brainer imo if they offer a 1st round pick in 2021 the later from now the better cause Westbrook value/style of play will most likely lead to injury or poor play. Do Melo + 1st for Temple they get another wing who can help them we play Melo as a stop gap for one year and we have a good chance to get a high pick imo.

Also keep in mind Westbrook is super hard to play with PG13 could regret resigning in less than 6 months, they could turn into a crap show really quick in particular considering the other guys they got none of them imo will be anything more than solid role players like Adams/Grant/Roberson/Patterson/Spanish guy name can't think of right now., maybe Terrance Ferguson could be above average to early to say.

Last edited:
I honestly think this is still a possibility. Okc have not cut and stretched Melo yet. I really think they are trying to trade him to get rid of the tax bill. Since people's cap space is running out and we haven't done anything yet leads me to believe this is still a possibility.

I honestly think this is still a possibility. Okc have not cut and stretched Melo yet. I really think they are trying to trade him to get rid of the tax bill. Since people's cap space is running out and we haven't done anything yet leads me to believe this is still a possibility.
Forget it. He's going to the Rockets. Chris Paul been talking to him for a while now...

Forget it. He's going to the Rockets. Chris Paul been talking to him for a while now...
Like i said earlier. That’s not the point. This is about relieving okc of thier tax burden and us getting an asset(draft pick) back. I doubt melo steps foot in Sacramento. Melo gets bought out anyways. So him wanting to hangout with his buddy in Houston should not stop us or okc from trading him.