Wenyen Gabriel

Another player that Iv'e only seen clips of so of course he looks good. So have combed some write ups and was pleasantly surprised he is known to have good handles for his size and is a good passer. Maybe a bit slow for a SF but good size length and willing to fight.
Anyways, assuming we stay put at SF hope he sticks, sounds like a good prospect.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
He’s kind of built like Skal but way, way more quick twitch. He’s a great candidate for the 2 way. Get him on a weight program. Could be a legit stretch 4 at some point.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Boston just dropped one of their 2 way players contracts (Kadeem Allen). I'm sure Danny Ainge is scheming to steal a summer league star from another team soon.

Vlade wake up and get something good done this summer!

Let's sign Wenyen to a 2 way contract now! Don't let him slip through our damn hands!
I think Wenyen is signed to a summer league contract which runs the length of summer league. I'm not positive but it might include some kind of first refusal rights.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He’s kind of built like Skal but way, way more quick twitch. He’s a great candidate for the 2 way. Get him on a weight program. Could be a legit stretch 4 at some point.
He played both the three and the four at Kentucky. He weighs around 215 right now, and could probably carry about 10 more pounds of muscle. But he's fairly muscular already. It's his lower body that's on the thin side. He's a very good athlete and a very good and willing defender. His shot needs a little tweeking, but he shot 39.6% from the three on over a 100 attempts. He's also a good rebounder.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Another player that Iv'e only seen clips of so of course he looks good. So have combed some write ups and was pleasantly surprised he is known to have good handles for his size and is a good passer. Maybe a bit slow for a SF but good size length and willing to fight.
Anyways, assuming we stay put at SF hope he sticks, sounds like a good prospect.
I watched him play for two seasons at Kentucky. He's an excellent athlete, and slow shouldn't be in his description. He has very good lateral quickness, and anticipation on defense. I'll admit that I'm biased and would love to have him on our team. He's originally from the Sudan. His parents brought him over when he was around three years old. Good kid and good teammate. I'm sure Fox would love to have his old teammate on the team.

I really, really like Gabriel as a 2-way contract player for the Kings! I am simply a fan and certainly no expert, but I have no doubt if we don't sign him some other team will. He may be a little raw, but he has displayed more than enough to show he could be really special if someone invests in him. I recall a game at Kentucky where he hit what seemed like 4 or 5 consecutive 3s. Sign him quickly!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I really, really like Gabriel as a 2-way contract player for the Kings! I am simply a fan and certainly no expert, but I have no doubt if we don't sign him some other team will. He may be a little raw, but he has displayed more than enough to show he could be really special if someone invests in him. I recall a game at Kentucky where he hit what seemed like 4 or 5 consecutive 3s. Sign him quickly!
We invited him to play on our SL team, so I'm pretty sure we've got some interest. I would love to see him on the Stockton Kings at the least, with a chance to be brought up or get a two-way contract.

When I first saw him play in our SL team, I wasn't impressed at all. Thought he was playing way too fast, which is understandable given that SL has relatively little structure, there is no time to familiarize yourself with the team mates or the play book, and guys like him often try too hard to make an impression for a contract. He grew on me though, and I think he slowly settled down and played better.

Wouldn't mind adding him to the team, particularly given our need at 3.

Adding him to the team means releasing someone else, or doing a 2 for 1 trade. Of course, that’s not an issue if we sign him to a 2-way contract.
But if we have to release someone, then who?

Adding him to the team means releasing someone else, or doing a 2 for 1 trade. Of course, that’s not an issue if we sign him to a 2-way contract.
But if we have to release someone, then who?
Why? Don't the Kings have two roster spots open plus a two-way?

1. Fox
2. Mason
3. Bogi
4. Buddy
5. Temple
6. Shump
7. JJ
8. Giles
9.zbo
10. Bagley
11. Skal
12. KK
13. W. Lazy-Stein

Two way
1. Sampson
You got it. 13 roster players plus two 2-way players is what we're allowed (as far as I'm aware).
So my question is, if Gabriel is one of the 13, who's spot does he take? I'm not suggesting we shouldn't make room for him, but I don't see an obvious "weak link" that he can/should replace. And yet, it may take more than a 2-way contract to lock him up.

His g-league stats are available at
https://gleague.nba.com/player/wenyen-gabriel/

Currently, he has a long way to go, shooting 45.8% from the field, only 14.3% from 3, and 68.4% from the charity stripe. His rebounding numbers are very good though, pulling down 6.9 rebounds in only 20.8 minutes of action (translates to 11.9 per 36).

The sample size is obviously very small, and these numbers might change dramatically by the end of the season. He is certainly not ready to contribute in the NBA right now though.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm a big Gabriel fan, but he needs time to develop. He's a late bloomer and as a result he's a bit behind the curve. At Kentucky he shot the three pretty well, and so far, although his average is down, he hasn't really taken enough of them make any kind of judgement. What I do know is that at Kentucky he was one of the best defenders, and rebounders in minutes played. So I have high hopes for him. He just needs time...