Free Agency Thread - 2018

Covington is a deadly 3pt shooter. He destroyed us last time we played them. Nonetheless I dont think he's gettable. And on Fox you kind of have to be speculative since he was a rookie last year...

? Do you understand what you're saying. Kings were Ranked 30th(Last) in PPg in 2017-18 Fox is Not a good shooter. He may be high usage, but has not shown, yet that he can lead an offense. Are you seeing something I am not. Your comments are speculative, not factual. I understand Covington is a nice defensive player. But, this team needs scoring. Kings are the absolute worse offensive scoring team in the league. People think Bogi and Hield are the next Harden/Gordon. Kings have a bad defense. But, their offense is just as abysmal. Covington is also 28. Not exactly fitting the time line of this team. But, yes it would be be another dumb move by Vlade. So, Yes, I can see this happening. Team needs scoring.
Covington averaged just under 13 pts a game last season. He is also a good 3pt shooter, which will help spread the floor. This opens up driving lanes for Fox or space for Giles or Bagley to work in the paint. Covington would give the Kings 3 very good 3pt shooters (Bogie and Hield), while hoping for improvement from Fox and Jackson. They are also adding 2 players in Giles and Bagley that have been scorers their entire basketball lives. His defense is what intrigues me the most (why I wanted Mikal Bridges when it looked like we would end up with the 7th pick).

Btw, he won't be 28 until December (5 months from now).

We've been at the bottom of the league for more than a decade now, but no player is good enough for our beloved Sacramento Kings! Covington can’t shoot, too old, bad contract. Smart can't shoot, not a pure PG. LaVine can't pass, just a scorer, doesn't fit our "culture"(?!?). Parker is not a SF, injury prone, wants too much money. Hood is just bad, short arms, not a good defender, disappeared with the Cavs. Capela, we have too many bigs, he's not worth the contract he demands.

Good thing we are so good we don't need any of these guys. Let's save our cap space, it's so useful for the Kings! Next year there will be plenty of superstars willing to sign here!

Last edited:
I have already gone through all the stages of grief and am now at acceptance. *I do have to note that one other poster admitted they are now at this stage as well.

I'm glad we haven't finalized our off season because then I would have to read through all the complaints, something Mass alluded to:

Covington can’t shoot, too old, bad contract. Smart can't shoot, not a pure PG. LaVine can't pass, just a scorer, doesn't fit our "culture"(?!?). Parker is not a SF, injury prone, wants too much money. Hood is just bad, short arms, not a good defender, disappeared with the Cavs. Capela, we have too many bigs, he's not worth the contract he demands.
I'm glad we haven't used our space as I'm confident at least one very good offer/deal will become available between now and the trade deadline.

We look to be a much better team right now as it is. Here are just a few observations.

Pg: Fox is looking like he strengthened his upper body and maintained his lightning fast speed. He is now better able finish through contact.

Sg: Buddy is working hard, look at his clips of him working out all the time. Buddy improved defensively last year. Bogi prob just needed a rest. I want to see a little more of these two on the court together as they have spent time together this offseason, are good friends, and their skill sets compliment each other.

Sf: Shump is a real ? here but if he can return to form he can provide excellent perimeter defense.

Pf: Giles is the real deal. He's easily my favorite player rn. His hard-nosed defense and smart, fierce competitve attitude will do wonders for this team. He boxes out, something W. Lazy-Stein (WLS) and Skal have not shown. He has a great shot, beautiful hook shots with both hands, great passing, a vocal force in both ends and so much more. If Bagley can get his confidence going then Giles + Bagley >> WLS + Skal.

One thing is the experience of playing with each other. Year-after-year there is new players, not this year. As of now only Bagley is new, that's it, one player. Giles practiced with the team last year and Shump has been watching, knows the players and personnel, even Jakar knows this team.

Players lost: 0
Players gained: Shump, Bagley, and Giles

*And I'm sure we're not done yet.

Troy Williams was waived by the Knicks today. Could be an interesting option. excellent athlete and still relatively young, has improved nicely since college.
I take him in a heartbeat, was very good energy guy for the Knicks and he has that dog in him, just never quits, Joerger would love him.

I don't know why Knicks waived him, he was such a Fiz guy imo.

Last edited:
Interesting but didn’t he shoot like 30% from 3?
Yeah, just under 30% from 3, and 66%/67% from the free throw line. Unfortunately he didn't show any improvement on the 3-pt shot last year, which is probably why he was expendable. So if the Kings pick him up, I'd hope they get him on a budget contract and work with him on his 3-pt shooting.
p.s. For context, his 3-pt percentage was about the same as De'Aaron Fox.

I think the Kings should go for Noah Vonleh try to get him cheap on a multi-year deal. With Z-bo and Koufos expiring and the young talented frontcourt they can wait for him to fight his way into the rotation. He's a great kid. excellent character. Can shoot it, he's athletic, he's got some ability to put it on the floor and grab boards, he's like a lesser version of Jermaine O'neale but has upside still.

Low-risk solid reward possibility.

So if We waive and stretch both players 7mil over 3 yrs that gets us up 4.6 m and 1 mil on trade from 19.5 to 25mil cap space

so has to be a big cap space deal coming, hope we get a young SF and a 1st rd pick out of it