UPDATE: Bulls match offer sheet for Zach LaVine (NEW Poll)

What's your take on the 4/78 offer to Zach LaVine?

• Total voters
While all these things you list are fact, it still doesn't qualify him for a GM job. Otherwise a vast majority of all former NBA players would be qualified.
Not all former players make good coaches, GM's, scouts or TV announcers. And usually (not always) the ones that do went through some kind of process/progression to get there.

Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart are among the best car drivers of all time. They know and were exposed to things we'll never know. But that doesn't mean they would be great at building their own race car or be better than some ham and egger that's been doing it their whole life. Most the mechanics that build and work to improve the engine technology weren't world class drivers themselves. (yes, I know Stewart has his own race team, but he isn't one of the innovative engine techs).

Conversely, there are lots of talented NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL front office personnel that never played a lick of basketball and rely upon their education and knowledge of sports. See Daryl Morey and Mark Cuban among others. At one point, they were just highly educated fans.
I don't know much about racing and I'm not sure how equivalent the entities/concepts in the analogy you are making and their relationships are to what we are discussing so I'm going to stick to basketball. It is entirely possible that an educated fan would outperform a former player in an NBA front office position, but all other things being equal, such an educated fan is at the point of resume review less qualified for the position, if for nothing else then for lack of first hand experience in the subject matter. If this educated fan is someone who has an MBA from MIT's Sloan school of business, has worked for a sports statistics company, has been a vice president of operations for Boston Celtics, then yeah that person (Daryl Morey) is more qualified.. But majority of KingsFans members I'm guessing are not.

While all these things you list are fact, it still doesn't qualify him for a GM job. Otherwise a vast majority of all former NBA players would be qualified.
Not all former players make good coaches, GM's, scouts or TV announcers. And usually (not always) the ones that do went through some kind of process/progression to get there.

Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart are among the best car drivers of all time. They know and were exposed to things we'll never know. But that doesn't mean they would be great at building their own race car or be better than some ham and egger that's been doing it their whole life. Most the mechanics that build and work to improve the engine technology weren't world class drivers themselves. (yes, I know Stewart has his own race team, but he isn't one of the innovative engine techs).

Conversely, there are lots of talented NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL front office personnel that never played a lick of basketball and rely upon their education and knowledge of sports. See Daryl Morey and Mark Cuban among others. At one point, they were just highly educated fans.
Very VERY bad comparison of a mechanic to a driver.

And one of the things you dont understand or FAIL to is the contacts Vlade most definitely has, the not just what you know but WHO you know type contacts. The type of people that will ring you up to tell you about an up and coming player in a league (like European leagues). The relationships Vlade has built with people like Magic or Rodney Buford or other current GMs or front office people that neither you nor anyone else has.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank goodness. While I appreciate vlade and the front office going after a high upside young player for once, that deal was absurd. Lavine is a serious injury risk. He would've given us way too many guards. He's also not better than buddy hield. At least he hasnt shown he is yet.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
People get mad when the national media laughs at the Kings.

Crap like this from Vlade gives them every reason to roast the organization.

Pass on Luka for a #2 who can't create, defend or use his off hand and follow it up by going after a mediocre chucker who can't defend either, coming off injury to the tune of 4/80M at the only position the team doesn't need help?

Lol.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thank god. I thought this was a panic move by Vlade as he was seeing all of the FA signing. Vlade panicked like a person who just found out he had 5 minutes left on his art exam

View attachment 8090
It woudn't be the first time a team made an offer sheet based on a "gentleman's agreement" with an agent. Am I saying Bill Duffy now owes Vlade a favor? Nope, not at all. I am thinking, however, that it wouldn't surprise me. Duffy has an interesting list of clients:

Mike Conley
Andrew Wiggins
Joakim Noah
Goran Dragic
Nikola Vucevic
Andre Roberson
Darren Collison
Matthew Dellavedova
Josh Richardson
Deandre Ayton
Aaron Gordon
Patric Beverley
Zach LaVine
Jonas Jerebko
Stanley Johnson
Nenê
Kelly Oubre
Omari Spellman
Deyonta Davis
Cheick Diallo
Isaiah Hicks

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Not a huge Vlade fan but a possible rational explanation exists besides Vlade is a damm idiot.

Milwaukee is hard capped and can’t sign Parker over a certain amount.

Bulls were interested in Parker but by matching Levine they are limited to what they can offer Parker.

By forcing to offer Levine they pave the way to get Parker at a good price
That's not any better. Parker is a 4 who can't pass, not quick enough to guard 3's and who's torn his left ACL twice.

Capela/Nurkic, at least we’re willing to make a play for the big names. I assume they will move on to the next big name (hopefully this time the aim will be tighter :))

Another thing the pursuance of LaVine did was legitimize the Bogdan at SF belief. I’ve always wanted Buddy/Bogdan starting. Buddy must really be ok coming off the bench or they don’t have the respect that I have for him - super efficient 18/5/3