Revisiting Otto Porter

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, the Kings need to push hard for a trade for Otto Porter.

Bogdanovic/Hield at SG is average defense at best and Bagley at PF is likely below average defense. Our floor spacing is also weak with a projected future lineup featuring Fox, Bagley, and Giles. We desperately need a great defender who is versatile and a great shooter 3pt shooter at SF.

Enter Otto Porter.

The only reason he would be available is because he is on a max contract and the Wizards have topped out as a team while having no cap flexibility. Not to mention they have Oubre as a cheap replacement. Therefore, the trade would be:

SAC GETS: Otto Porter and Ian Mahinmi
WAS GETS: Willie Cauley-Stein, Skal Labissiere, Justin Jackson, & Iman Shumpert

This would still give us around $35 mil in cap space in the 2019 offseason to have the ability to add a max player (no guarantee). Once the 2019 draft is over, we could even potentially use our 2020 1st as incentive for someone to take Mahinmi off our hands. That would give us $50 mil in cap space with these players under contract: Fox, Mason, Bogdanovic, Hield, Porter, Bagley, Giles. That’s potentially a good/great starting 5 and a sixth man while also having room to add a max player and a player in the tier below a max player.

PG - Fox / Mason
SG - Bogdanovic / Hield
SF - Porter / Temple
PF - Bagley / Randolph
C - Giles / Koufos / Mahinmi

Last edited:
I could see Charlotte doing this deal if they can't get a star for Porter Jr straight up. Dumping salary is something they're interested in.

Porter has to be the target 3 and D supreme Wizards seem to have cap issues We know Vlade likes Porter from efforts to sign him last year. Porter fits on so many levels If Vlade gets Porter I may even forgive him for passing on Doncic. In fact, maybe these issues are related. Maybe V;ade passed on SF Dpncic because he felt he could get SF Porter. I can dream cant I?

Bogdanovic/Hield at SG is average defense at best and Bagley at PF is likely below average defense. Our floor spacing is also weak with a projected future lineup featuring Fox, Bagley, and Giles. We desperately need a great defender who is versatile and a great shooter 3pt shooter at SF.

Enter Otto Porter.

The only reason he would be available is because he is on a max contract and the Wizards have topped out as a team while having no cap flexibility. Not to mention they have Oubre as a cheap replacement. Therefore, the trade would be:

This would still give us around $35 mil in cap space in the 2019 offseason to have the ability to add a max player (no guarantee). Once the 2019 draft is over, we could even potentially use our 2020 1st as incentive for someone to take Mahinmi off our hands. That would give us $50 mil in cap space with these players under contract: Fox, Mason, Bogdanovic, Hield, Porter, Bagley, Giles. That’s potentially a good/great starting 5 and a sixth man while also having room to add a max player and a player in the tier below a max player.

PG - Fox / Mason
SG - Bogdanovic / Hield
SF - Porter / Temple
PF - Bagley / Randolph
If this would get Porter we should do it but I don’t think Washington bites.

I'd toss in all the second rounders WSH would want aswell. Kings have what, 5 extra ones now?
I wouldn’t give those up so easily. They are going to come in handy when we have to start paying our young guys. Not to mention, there’s always the chance you find a gem. I think the deal above is more than fair for WAS.

It sounds like a fair deal. Good prospects and cap relief. Washington was silly to pay Porter that much. It made more sense for us but Porter is just way too underused in Washington to justify that deal. Hopefully it’s something Washington is exploring. Kings have the expirings to make it happen.

1) Porter is a 40% shooter on low usage. Many think he is Washington’s best player.

2) He’s good enough to garner an offer better than the Kings cast off players.
1. Many? Anyone worth noting? Or are we just referencing a couple of people behind a keyboard? And yes he’s a 40% shooter but he’s also on a max salary.

2) What offers specifically?

1. Many? Anyone worth noting? Or are we just referencing a couple of people behind a keyboard? And yes he’s a 40% shooter but he’s also on a max salary.

2) What offers specifically?
Obviously I’m not privy to specific offers. You asked why I thought they wouldn’t bite and I told you.

Btw. Meant to type second best player behind Wall.

I don't see much beyond meh assets going out. Normally your stuff that you wouldn't mind giving away doesn't equal something they are just fine keeping.

Best bet is to offer Oubre a whole lot next season. They'll have to make a choice then, Oubre or Porter. And we may be able to get Oubre for free.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Enter Otto Porter.

PG - Fox / Mason
SG - Bogdanovic / Hield
SF - Porter / Temple
PF - Bagley / Randolph
You all know I'm not a big fan of trade scenarios, but I like this one.

I don't see much beyond meh assets going out. Normally your stuff that you wouldn't mind giving away doesn't equal something they are just fine keeping.

Best bet is to offer Oubre a whole lot next season. They'll have to make a choice then, Oubre or Porter. And we may be able to get Oubre for free.
You can continue to label them “meh assets” if you want but let’s not pretend like Mahinmi’s contract isn’t one of the worst contracts in the league. His contract should not be overlooked in this trade.

If we have to take Mahinmi I would hope we could keep Jackson as a cheap rotational piece.

I'm worried about Porter's value as a max but if it is the end of WCS we can absorb it because we'd have to overpay to keep him next year.

Washington will be hurting unless they trade Oubre before the deadline.

That's the time to strike, or wait and offer him a ton of loot next off season. Washington can't keep both beyond this year. So don't sign any sf to anything beyond a single year this off season. We will be able to get one of them. Oubre potentially without bad money coming back.

This is okay but if you look at Oubre’s offensive numbers they aren’t much better than Hezonja who we could get without losing WCS. So you have to like Oubre’s defense quite a bit.
I still think we should just sit back and wait. Chandler's salary expires, Denver would probably drive him to the airport. But Oubre's defense would be a welcome addition.

I wouldn't trade JJ IMO he's the type of player who will get better every year. I would give him every opportunity to succeed here. IIRC Washington cannot afford to sign Oubre if their cap situation doesn't change so we can be patient.

Washington wont give up Porter. Or at least imo they shouldnt. I dont know wether Wash is considering giving up Porter but to me it would be very stupid if they did. They just locked up Wall for huge contract, they have Beal for the next 3 years as well so they wont be rebuilding. They are in a "win now mode" for the next few years and Porter is absolutely best they can do with their cap situation. If they want to dump salary they can get rid of Mahimi with something like protected 1st+ Oubre or 1st+multiple 2nds or something like that.

Also Porter is very valuable player. He is a player that just makes your team better. One of the best rpm in the league because he is an excellent team defender, good 1-1 defender with versatility to guard and switch multiple positions, an awesome spot up shooter, he takes efficent shots and makes smart decisions. Basicall the mold of a wing player everybody wants in their team. I would be very happy if we got him but I dont see that happening without giving up pieces I wouldnt want to.

Also Porter as a player is a tier or two higher than Oubre. And I like Oubre, he is the type of player that is valuable and hard to find (3&d wing) but Porter is just a lot better than him.

Because it is one sided?
Many trades are one sided. Especially when salary dumps are the primary goal. Kings fans should know that better than anybody but we see it every year.

If Washington was willing to trade Porter it would be mainly for salary reasons. If shedding salary doesn’t matter then there no point talking about Porter. Kings can offer a nice mixture of young talent and expirings while taking on another bad contract which lessens the expectation for equal talent even more. Obviously other teams can offer expirings as well but Kings have a cache of young talent to sweeten the pot. Not everybody would write them off as crap as quickly as jaded Kings fans. WCS for example has value. JJ and Mason are good sweeteners with upside to provide depth to a team that lacks it..but the main goal for Washington is flexibility to try new approaches to build on their core.

Obviously I’m not privy to specific offers. You asked why I thought they wouldn’t bite and I told you.

Btw. Meant to type second best player behind Wall.
Pretty sure Wizards firmly view Bradley Beal as their second best player

If we can pull off Otto Porter for the players initially suggested my search is done. I will kick back and enjoy the ride. Bogdan or Buddy, apparently best mates, alternating as the sixth man.

Status
Not open for further replies.