DRAFT PICK discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well trading the 37th to Portland for a couple future 2nd rounders was certainly anti-climactic.

Not sure the point of it but considering the overall night recon we will pursue Hezonja in FA. I am so not a believer in JJ.
I don't know what the plan is, but I'm not against the move.

We have too many youngsters on the team, all needing minutes. We are already adding two rookies this year in Giles and Bagley. It's virtually impossible to develop all simultaneously. Trent (or most anyone picked in his place) would have been a bench warmer.

This keeps a roster spot open, and gives us two picks, that can carry value in trade (I know these will not have a lot of value, but sometimes, they can help sweeten a deal a bit).

Currently, we have 13 players on the roster. Assuming we re-sign at least one of Bruno/Nigel, we shall have only one roster spot open. That can be used for some FA signing, but personally, I'll prefer if we keep that spot open. We are likely going to field trade offers for Willie (and maybe more) this year. Having an open spot gives lot of flexibility.

Perhaps the roster spot was more important. What do they think about Hayes? Perhaps convert it into a regular contract.
Probably but that is actually even worse. It started with wasting picks and taking safe backups last year, before having the core set. And now they are running out of roster spots because of that and pass up talent again. Just bad roster management all around.

I have wrote about Bagley in his own thread. You can read my post there why I'm not high on him

Bosh comparison is maybe fair offensively. Bosh had like 7-4 wingspan and become a good defender in Miami do defensively not a good comparison.

Bosh shot 73%ft in college, Bagley shot 62%. To me in order to be the #2 pick at his position he would need to be a shooter and a plus defender. To me he projects to be neither of those in the Nba
I get why your not high on him. I have some same concerns. I’m not saying that Bagley has no concerns. Everyone drafted has concerns.

But Bagley does have things you can’t teach and he hasn’t had years of top level coaching like many of these kids. Even at Duke most of these players play all summer but Bagley came in late. That impacted his skill development.

No room at the Inn. This is kind of a weird situation anyway, when we have very few roster spots for the Kings and drafting just a park guys in Reno is maybe not the best call if you're not thrilled about who's left on the board. I'm guessing the thought is better to pick fresh meat next year.
Draft and stash doesn’t take a roster spot.

Draft and stash doesn’t take a roster spot.
Of course not hints my commentary that taking a second-rounder you can't put on the roster doesn't make sense if a GM is not thrilled with what's left on the board. don't worry next year you'll get all excited about a couple people in the second round will have two picks so there's that. And remember the Kings have no first-round pick next year so it will be important to try to have something to work with at the end of the season.

And anyone who can evaluate tape and statistical data would never say he wouldnt touch Doncic top 10. Anything can happen but Doncic was a slam dunk pick so I'm afraid its going to haunt this franchise among its other horrible drafting
What's funny, is I recall Peaches Napear cheerleading the Jason Williams pick back in 1998 on the premise that the franchise needed a big shot in the arm --- some excitement, cachet, buzz, etc --- and a flashy player like Williams would provide that. And while Williams wasn't a homerun pick, he did provide those things and garnered a lot of interest in the Kings franchise outside of Sacramento and of course eventually led to acquiring Mike Bibby.

Well, it's 20 years later and Luka Dončić had the ability to provide the exact same thing to the exact same franchise that needed the exact same jolt. A player with moxie, flair, charisma, and fanfare -- while likely being a more impactful player than Jason Williams ever was.

But of course Peaches is going to support the exact opposite decision 20 years later because it's what the franchise did. He's the ultimate mouthpiece for the Kings and always has been. While all these 1140 guys like to say that they speak their mind and wouldn't fake it. They invariably do. I've seen this act for far too many years.

They were selling Bagley hard the past couple days.

Shooting guards a dime a dozen. Kevin Martin. Jordan Clarckson. Lou William's. You can name a million of them. Luka Doncic.
54 wins to 61 wins is not significant for me if we are talking about the impact of a supposed franchise player for us. That being the best case scenario for Bagley, to me its a hard pass at #2. Plus him playing or not literally had no impact on their playoff succes on those three seasons
You are so boring!!!

Amare had a very big impact on those teams because he was unstoppable!! Teams feared Amare. They didnt fear Marion. They didnt fear Nash. They feared what Amare could do. I feared Amare and I was just watching, albeit as a former player. He was too explosive and dynamic to NOT fear him.

I literally can NOT WAIT for you to be proven wrong. You will fade back into the woodwork as is usual with your kind but damn its sickening the amount of (searching for a modern friendly term here) two bocce ball swinging you exhibit for a rich man's Hedo.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Why would I pay any attention to a guy who didnt watch a single game for the concensus #2 pick and still tries to give his opinion on who we should draft?
Did I ask you to pay attention to him?:)

He was interviewed. He answered the questions he was asked. He did say that Bagley was the best player in this draft (that he had seen).

Shooting guards a dime a dozen. Kevin Martin. Jordan Clarckson. Lou William's. You can name a million of them. Luka Doncic.

You are so boring!!!

Amare had a very big impact on those teams because he was unstoppable!! Teams feared Amare. They didnt fear Marion. They didnt fear Nash. They feared what Amare could do. I feared Amare and I was just watching, albeit as a former player. He was too explosive and dynamic to NOT fear him.

I literally can NOT WAIT for you to be proven wrong. You will fade back into the woodwork as is usual with your kind but damn its sickening the amount of (searching for a modern friendly term here) two bocce ball swinging you exhibit for a rich man's Hedo.
You comparing Luka Doncic to Jordan Clarkson or Kevin Marting tells me enough about your understanding of these prospects and the league in general. Same thing with the second chapter. Nash wad clearly the best player on that team.

Traditional non shooting pf at #2, even better
Have you ever played basketball? shot a ball?

theres tons of footage of marvin bagley dribbling INTO three pointers and easily knocking it down in a defenders face. Similar to how Odom used to do it. It takes good shooting skill/form/balance to knock down shots like that. its rare for a big guy to do that.

i'll put money on it that bagley becomes a good nba three point shooter and mid range shooter.

And when he does, other teams should worry. Because now you can't stop him.

Executive summary of Vlade's presser:

1) Marvin easy choice for him, thinks he is a great talent. Love both ways :).
2) Guy he wanted in second round was gone so they traded the pick for future 2 picks so they would not crowd the young guys (as someone suggested in this topic).

Have you ever played basketball? shot a ball?

theres tons of footage of marvin bagley dribbling INTO three pointers and easily knocking it down in a defenders face. Similar to how Odom used to do it. It takes good shooting skill/form/balance to knock down shots like that. its rare for a big guy to do that.

i'll put money on it that bagley becomes a good nba three point shooter and mid range shooter.

And when he does, other teams should worry. Because now you can't stop him.
As I've said numerous times, his lack of jump shot attempts and horrible ft% (62) satistically suggest that he wont be a good shooter in the Nba.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
What's funny, is I recall Peaches Napear cheerleading the Jason Williams pick back in 1998 on the premise that the franchise needed a big shot in the arm --- some excitement, cachet, buzz, etc --- and a flashy player like Williams would provide that. And while Williams wasn't a homerun pick, he did provide those things and garnered a lot of interest in the Kings franchise outside of Sacramento and of course eventually led to acquiring Mike Bibby.

Well, it's 20 years later and Luka Dončić had the ability to provide the exact same thing to the exact same franchise that needed the exact same jolt. A player with moxie, flair, charisma, and fanfare -- while likely being a more impactful player than Jason Williams ever was.

But of course Peaches is going to support the exact opposite decision 20 years later because it's what the franchise did. He's the ultimate mouthpiece for the Kings and always has been. While all these 1140 guys like to say that they speak their mind and wouldn't fake it. They invariably do. I've seen this act for far too many years.

They were selling Bagley hard the past couple days.
Do you recall who the Kings passed on to get that flashy ticket-producing Jason Williams? Nowitski and Paul Pierce. To this day it fries me just thinking about it. Forget flash. I'll take 20 and 10 every day of the week over flash. And while I'm on the subject, Petrie was a stickler, and absolute freaking stickler about taking the bpa, but nope, he didn't do it in that draft. Why? There was a hue and cry by the Sacramento fan base about the need for a point guard and he bowed to the pressure with his acknowledgment that he drafted Williams due to need. So much for the collective wisdom of Sacramento fandom.

Pollard was right about kd, trob, McLemore, and jimmer among others. He's building up a really solid public track record
You're naive. A vast majority of fans and NBA personnel alike thought that McLemore, Robinson and Jimmer were reaches and likely to bad picks. It wasn't exactly a bold prediction or revelation.

As I said in another thread earlier today, any one of us can cite players we were right about. I was right about Steph Curry over Tyreke Evans, among others. I've been wrong a lot too. And so has Scot Pollard. You just haven't heard of the ones he missed on.

After that statement about Doncic, I would need to see his big boards for the last couple of years to even consifer taking him seriously. If you wouldnt touch Doncic top 10 in this draft, then there is most likely something wrong about your evaluation process
That's because he hasn't really seen Luka play -- which he admitted. So he shouldn't be taken seriously on that topic, as he has no clue even if he ends up on the right side of the coin flip (Luka works out or doesn't). Fact is, Pollard has no real track record to speak of. He's become a bit of a draft predictor cult hero for naive Kingsfans all because he knew alot about Ben McLemore and Thomas Robinson due to his connections to Kansas and because he saw what quite a lot of people saw in Jimmer Fredette. Big freaking deal. I don't suspect you'll see Scot Pollard signed any time soon to evaluate talent or become some franchises GM. And there's good reason for that.

As I've said numerous times now, on the whole, Pollard isn't any more right or wrong than the avid fan.

You're naive. A vast majority of fans and NBA personnel alike thought that McLemore, Robinson and Jimmer were reaches and likely to bad picks. It wasn't exactly a bold prediction or revelation.

As I said in another thread earlier today, any one of us can cite players we were right about. I was right about Steph Curry over Tyreke Evans, among others. I've been wrong a lot too. And so has Scot Pollard. You just haven't heard of the ones he missed on.

That's because he hasn't really seen Luka play -- which he admitted. So he shouldn't be taken seriously on that topic, as he has no clue even if he ends up on the right side of the coin flip (Luka works out or doesn't). Fact is, Pollard has no real track record to speak of. He's become a bit of a draft predictor cult hero for naive Kingsfans all because he knew alot about Ben McLemore and Thomas Robinson due to his connections to Kansas and because he saw what quite a lot of people saw in Jimmer Fredette. Big freaking deal. I don't suspect you'll see Scot Pollard signed any time soon to evaluate talent or become some franchises GM. And there's good reason for that.

As I've said numerous times now, on the whole, Pollard isn't any more right or wrong than the avid fan.
Dude Pollard came on the radio talking about trob and McLemore's issues before the draft. He was spot on when most analysts saw it differently. It's all about Luka with you guys, I get that. You'll be ok after Bagley dominates summer league next week

Executive summary of Vlade's presser:

1) Marvin easy choice for him, thinks he is a great talent. Love both ways :).
2) Guy he wanted in second round was gone so they traded the pick for future 2 picks so they would not crowd the young guys (as someone suggested in this topic).

Sigh...... I hope it wasn't Mitchell Robinson 1 pick before.......

must have been one of the guys we worked out..

Well then I dont care :p those guys are much easier replaced on the open market than what Mitchell Robinson can provide should he be ahead of schedule.

I also really like many of the upcoming drafts and due to the pending fall of the 1-and-done rule the 2nd rounds should be juiced up like this year for many to come.

It's not a big deal. Id rather have a free agent PG than some of those choices seeing as Mason's the 3rd string. Not Okobo tho he'd have been nice.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wanted Doncic and pretty Hoops back in Sac. But Bagley is dope - and probably fixes our rebounding ineptitude on day 1.

It’s too early to judge this draft. But the Kings definitely need t make some more moves to balance the roster. I’m tired of pieces that don’t all fit.

Hopefully this lights a fire for WCS - because his job is in jeopardy.
I quoted this because I could only "like" it once. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Do you recall who the Kings passed on to get that flashy ticket-producing Jason Williams? Nowitski and Paul Pierce. To this day it fries me just thinking about it. Forget flash. I'll take 20 and 10 every day of the week over flash. And while I'm on the subject, Petrie was a stickler, and absolute freaking stickler about taking the bpa, but nope, he didn't do it in that draft. Why? There was a hue and cry by the Sacramento fan base about the need for a point guard and he bowed to the pressure with his acknowledgment that he drafted Williams due to need. So much for the collective wisdom of Sacramento fandom.
But...Jason got us Bibby. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.