Luka Doncic (pre and post-draft discussion thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one worried about Dave Joerger???I don't know he'll be able to adapt to the strength our young players. I'm also worried he'll prefer playing vets over young players. Doncic is a heavy PnR player, but our offense didn't focus on that at all. If Joerger insists on running the offense from the high-post, then I think we'll have major problems.

I don't know how good Joerger would be able to handle Doncic-Fox-Bogdan-Buddy because he was barely able to manage 3 of them. It took him until the very end of the season. This makes me think Joerger probably prefers Bagley to fit the type of offense he wants to run.

I think drafting Bagley doesn't fit the Kings need small forward. We have a ton of center/power forwards that are fighting for time already. Bagley is still a rookie after all and will take time to develop. He would have to fight through Skal, Wcs, ZBo, and Kosta for playing time. Where Luka can come in and fit right in at small forward. My hope is this is a gigantic smokescreen to convince the Suns that they are making the right pick with Ayton and not to draft Luka. Because honestly Luka makes too much sense for the Kings.

I think drafting Bagley doesn't fit the Kings need small forward. We have a ton of center/power forwards that are fighting for time already. Bagley is still a rookie after all and will take time to develop. He would have to fight through Skal, Wcs, ZBo, and Kosta for playing time. Where Luka can come in and fit right in at small forward. My hope is this is a gigantic smokescreen to convince the Suns that they are making the right pick with Ayton and not to draft Luka. Because honestly Luka makes too much sense for the Kings.
None of the mentioned bigs (except maybe Skal) has the potential to be our PF of the future. So IF you think Bagley is the guy, you take him and figure the rest out later.

None of the mentioned bigs (except maybe Skal) has the potential to be our PF of the future. So IF you think Bagley is the guy, you take him and figure the rest out later.
See the future is now. The Kings don't have a pick next year. Coach already said the training wheels are coming off. I left out Giles on purpose because I am guessing he will be the starting power forward if he lives up to the hype. So you pick Bagley to compete against Skal and Giles? I don't see it. If we do pick Bagley ya got to hope a trade will be coming.

See the future is now. The Kings don't have a pick next year. Coach already said the training wheels are coming off. I left out Giles on purpose because I am guessing he will be the starting power forward if he lives up to the hype. So you pick Bagley to compete against Skal and Giles? I don't see it. If we do pick Bagley ya got to hope a trade will be coming.
Why can't Bagley and Giles not play together in today's NBA?

I feel like many of you are worrying for no reason. This Bagley stuff sounds like it's been put out by his agent to increase his stock or the Kings themselves so that maybe the Hawks trade up to take Bagley and the Kings gain additional assets while still drafting Doncic.

Vivek's son would not be traveling all the way to Europe and posting pics with his dad, Vlade and Luka if Luka wasn't already the pick.

The Kings have an owner that went crazy over the games of guys like Nik Stauskas and Buddy Hield...you don't think he was head over heels when he saw actual legitimate star talent in Luka Doncic?

First is Ayton (unfortunately), second is Luka and then the draft starts.

I feel like many of you are worrying for no reason. This Bagley stuff sounds like it's been put out by his agent to increase his stock or the Kings themselves so that maybe the Hawks trade up to take Bagley and the Kings gain additional assets while still drafting Doncic.

Vivek's son would not be traveling all the way to Europe and posting pics with his dad, Vlade and Luka if Luka wasn't already the pick.

The Kings have an owner that went crazy over the games of guys like Nik Stauskas and Buddy Hield...you don't think he was head over heels when he saw actual legitimate star talent in Luka Doncic?

I really hope you’re right.

It is NOT going to be Porter. I can almost guarantee you of that. The Kings at the top are dumb, but they are not that dumb. It is going to be Luka or Bagley. I will be mildly disappointed if it if Luka, but he's a kid I can root for. But I do not think he will be the pick. Vlade loves Fox and Boggy too much to pick a player who overlaps their skillset. If Luka was a lights out shooter from deep or created his own offense with burst and juke moves and projected as 20+ PPG guy, then you pull the trigger. But he's not quite this guy. Maybe he can get there but I think he's more of a 16 / 8 / 8 type of a player. Also why did he let himself go a little physically, with the reports he's a little pudgy? Hmmm.... I hear he likes to party hard in Spain. Bagley is more about his business. Bagley and Luka were born two weeks apart, so both are quite accomplished at young age. On the Lowe podcast, Givony said an NBA executive said the Bagley runs end to end as well as any NBA big he has EVER seen. We already have the fastest PG in the NBA. How can you find a better complement to this? Case closed. :p
Let’s see skill set: ball movement,court vision, ball handling...nope don’t need it lol

Anonymous NBA Scouts on Trae Young, Luka Doncic and the Draft's Biggest Questions

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/19/n...-scouts-trae-young-luka-doncic-michael-porter

1. HOW DOES LUKA DONCIC’S CAREER PLAY OUT?

I don’t think he has enough scoring ego to be amongst the league leaders in scoring, but certainly he could be one of the more prolific stat-sheet stuffing guys, so probably at best, the second-best guy on a really good team. Obviously, super accomplished at the highest European level at a young age, so given that, I think he’s going to have a good NBA career. He’s excelled at the highest level outside there, and I don’t see any real reason why that wouldn’t continue…Two-time All-Star, I don’t feel confident about that, but one or two time All-Star…High-level starter for a very good team, I don’t think he’s a franchise-altering piece but he could be the second or third best guy on a championship team...I don’t see Sacramento making the pick there. I could see him falling to Memphis at 4, I don’t think the Clippers trade up to get there. I think he’s a good third or fourth option on a good team...I don’t see him dropping past 3. He’s too talented, too skilled, too much of a playmaker and so cerebral that I’d be surprised. Someone’s going to be very lucky if he slips.

Ohh Givony trashing stories. Y'all remember when Terry Rozier called them out in a tweet for not having him in the first round and he got all defensive? Seeing how good Rozier is now makes it even funnier.

RIP to the Luka #2 pick movement. It was a good run. Sorry guys, don't mean to beat a dead horse but ya might as well pack it in. He's going to Atlanta at 3.

If the Kings were constructed differently it could've worked. I honestly think he's much better suited to thrive for the eastern conference and even more so if LeBron leaves.

I never really saw how it'd be in Luka's best interests to play in Sacramento as is..

I agree. The big threat remains your Suns. I don’t believe Luka is in the clear to be there at 2, with a Phx either taking him or trading down

RIP to the Luka #2 pick movement. It was a good run. Sorry guys, don't mean to beat a dead horse but ya might as well pack it in. He's going to Atlanta at 3.

If the Kings were constructed differently it could've worked. I honestly think he's much better suited to thrive for the eastern conference and even more so if LeBron leaves.

I never really saw how it'd be in Luka's best interests to play in Sacramento as is..

So, you already know who we are picking then. Good for you. It must be great to have the ability to foresee the future. Lucky you, I could make a lot of money if I had this superpower too.

Not sure what you're basing that on.

Always find it surprising that people swallow the agenda-driven narrative of the media. Givony has absolutely no clue whether we'll take Doncic or not, nor does he have any inside info that he doesn't want to be here.

We could easily go in a different direction than Luka, but that won't necessarily mean that any of these rumours held any weight.

You understand that we're trying to draft an all star at #2, not plug holes right? I know it's difficult for this board to conceive, but could be that Vlade and co don't view Luka as an all star caliber player.

Am I the only one worried about Dave Joerger???I don't know he'll be able to adapt to the strength our young players. I'm also worried he'll prefer playing vets over young players. Doncic is a heavy PnR player, but our offense didn't focus on that at all. If Joerger insists on running the offense from the high-post, then I think we'll have major problems.

I don't know how good Joerger would be able to handle Doncic-Fox-Bogdan-Buddy because he was barely able to manage 3 of them. It took him until the very end of the season. This makes me think Joerger probably prefers Bagley to fit the type of offense he wants to run.
if Vlade is drafting players that appease Joerger's style of play rather than who he feels is best suited to help turn this team around, then he and Joerger won't be here for much longer.

Well if Atlanta is picking Doncic at 3 then we have no chance at him! Shame. Wish he would have rose in the draft to us before another team snatched him up.
The reason Atlanta is warming up to Luka is all the talk of Kings taking Bagley
If Kings take Luka , then atlanta will take Bagley

I guess what I am saying is it is coming to Luka and Bagley being the #2 and #3(or 3 and 2) in this draft
and atlanta will pick one of them after Sacto

And I do not think Atlanta will give up any assets to move up so they can choose
(unless they really want Bagley reallll bad)

The reason Atlanta is warming up to Luka is all the talk of Kings taking Bagley
If Kings take Luka , then atlanta will take Bagley

I guess what I am saying is it is coming to Luka and Bagley being the #2 and #3(or 3 and 2) in this draft
and atlanta will pick one of them after Sacto

And I do not think Atlanta will give up any assets to move up so they can choose
(unless they really want Bagley reallll bad)
I think Atlanta is taking jjj if they stay at #3. The luka talk is to get Memphis or Dallas to bite on a trade up.

The closer we get to the draft, the more worried I am. I'm starting to believe we won't pick Luka, and that's a huge mistake we will regret for a very long time.
When I see Luka make a play, I often think "Boggy can do that" I suggest fans watching Luka imagine whether Boggy can make the same play. More than not the answer is yes. What Luka can do Boggy cannot is he can throw longer cross court passes. His height allows him to see over the top to the weak side. This is a nice skill no doubt. Luka can also go battle with the bigs in the paint. Beyond this they are similar with Boggy the better shooter. Of course Luka projects as the better pro (due to his age and size) and of course it would be nice to add Luka to the team. But it is a luxury we cannot afford. Look at this play 0:35. Luka cannot beat his man out of a 1-4. Defender forces change of direction twice snd stays in front. The ref bails him out with a ticky tack call. I don't like the look at this play. It gives me a pause.

Not sure what you're basing that on.

Always find it surprising that people swallow the agenda-driven narrative of the media. Givony has absolutely no clue whether we'll take Doncic or not, nor does he have any inside info that he doesn't want to be here.

We could easily go in a different direction than Luka, but that won't necessarily mean that any of these rumours held any weight.
You do know these guys have close ties with the agents. I posted before the Kings got the 2 pick that Luka’s agent was going to push him to a large market. Whether he actually refused to give the Kings medicals I don’t know but this has been known for some time. It was rumored before the lottery if a small market team picked him he would stay in Europe.

Personally I think if the league is going to have a draft they need to make it a level playing field for all teams. Information should not be allowed to be given selectively.

When I see Luka make a play, I often think "Boggy can do that" I suggest fans watching Luka imagine whether Boggy can make the same play. More than not the answer is yes. What Luka can do Boggy cannot is he can throw longer cross court passes. His height allows him to see over the top to the weak side. This is a nice skill no doubt. Luka can also go battle with the bigs in the paint. Beyond this they are similar with Boggy the better shooter. Of course Luka projects as the better pro (due to his age and size) and of course it would be nice to add Luka to the team. But it is a luxury we cannot afford. Look at this play 0:35. Luka cannot beat his man out of a 1-4. Defender forces change of direction twice snd stays in front. The ref bails him out with a ticky tack call. I don't like the look at this play. It gives me a pause.
Luka's inability to get by his man is his biggest weakness as a prospect. He does so much dancing just to end up with a contested jumpshot. As I said before, he's not going to be able to constantly get away with the dancing. It's why I think having Fox next to him is a good fit. Fox can drive inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.