DeAaron Fox

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I keep seeing references to trading Fox for a draft pick and every time I see it I am totally and completely blown away. In my mind, the idea of trading this kid on draft night is ridiculous bordering on delusional.

We wanted Fox and we got him. Now we're going to get another very good prospect in just a couple of days. I cannot think of a scenario where the front office would seriously consider getting rid of Fox before we can see what we have with Fox, Giles, Bogs, our new draft pick and the rest of the crew. We have struggled too long and worked too hard to get this team going in the right direction to do something that IMHO is just stupid.

Fox is young, he's passionate, he's got talent and he loves being here. I think what we saw last year was just the beginning of what he can be and I truly believe management thinks the same. They sent him to the lottery. I'm convinced they're very high on him and not really looking to trade him away for another draft pick. And not for a salary dump for another team, either.

Is he a work in progress? In some respects, yes. Of course. He's still not even old enough to walk into a bar and buy a drink. He's got grit, however, and he's got tenacity. I suspect he's going to spend quite a bit of time working on his game this summer. In fact, I think most of our kids are gonna be honing their skills. They're hungry to prove that they can survive and thrive in the NBA.

Some of the comments I see remind me of people whose first exposure to the game of basketball was some video game where you can move players around hither, thither and yon with no regard to consequence. Real life isn't like that. A successful front office doesn't pull the rug out from under young talent anywhere near as often as some would like to pretend.

My very strong prediction is we are not going to trade DeAaron on draft night...and not for a long time after that.

#GoKings

I could be wrong but I think some of that talk comes from the Ringer article where the author went through a bunch of scenarios and one of them was trading Fox. There was also an article about the Kings draft where the author felt that Fox and Doncic wouldn't pair well because Fox is a poor shooter and needs the ball to be effective. I disagree but it's out there.

Anyway, I really think Vlade values guys who want to be here. It's why I was a bit surprised that he didn't re-sign Collison, which in hindsight would have been far better than signing George Hill. But I digress.

Fox wanted to be a King. Giles reps Sacramento hard. Bogie and Hield seem to like it here. I want to see this group succeed.

I could be wrong but I think some of that talk comes from the Ringer article where the author went through a bunch of scenarios and one of them was trading Fox. There was also an article about the Kings draft where the author felt that Fox and Doncic wouldn't pair well because Fox is a poor shooter and needs the ball to be effective. I disagree but it's out there.

Anyway, I really think Vlade values guys who want to be here. It's why I was a bit surprised that he didn't re-sign Collison, which in hindsight would have been far better than signing George Hill. But I digress.

Fox wanted to be a King. Giles reps Sacramento hard. Bogie and Hield seem to like it here. I want to see this group succeed.
I can't wait until 1-2 years from now when I'm laughing my ass off at people who thought the Kings problem was that Fox and Luka can't shoot.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I sometimes get this notion that if a Kings rookie isn't in the mix for ROY or can't shoot that he will never amount to anything, ever. Some players you can look at and say, yeah....he's worth keeping around because he has skills that can translate. Then you have some picks where you know they are rotation players at best and journeyman and/or out of the league the next. Fox falls into the category of a player with plenty of skills to thrive in a league where its so wide open and up and down. Whether he reaches his potential, we just won't know until or if it happens but I'll be patiently waiting until otherwise.

Had a good friend(and King’s fan) tell me that’s equal value (6 for Fox). Not sure how an unproven college player who has not set foot on the court equates to a guy who just wrapped up year one...who played well and exceeded expectations as a raw, 19 year old. I then asked my friend, who resides in the Bay Area, if he had NBA league pass...he told me no and I told him to shut up

Had a good friend(and King’s fan) tell me that’s equal value (6 for Fox). Not sure how an unproven college player who has not set foot on the court equates to a guy who just wrapped up year one...who played well and exceeded expectations as a raw, 19 year old. I then asked my friend, who resides in the Bay Area, if he had NBA league pass...he told me no and I told him to shut up
Yeah, it would be utterly ridiculous to trade Fox for any sort of draft compensation at this point in time. That would be like hitting the reset button, and for what reason? We already knew Fox's development would take at least 2-3 seasons before the Kings really know what they've got.

I think the majority -- if not all -- of the fans suggesting this kind of trade weren't on board with selecting De'Aaron in the first place. So there's an agenda behind it.

It's the what's behind door #2 mentality. They think the next draft pick will be the next LeBron or KD but also want immediate gratification. So fox didn't have a Donovan Mitchell like season, we blew the draft so let's start all over instead if letting out players develop. These are the same people that wont trade a #7 pick for an all-star cuz it's only a 1x all star or a non starting all star. Sometimes people need to remember a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

I have made a number of those posts, but don’t advocate for it. I just think it’s what’s going to happen. It’s the only tactical play that makes sense of everything we’ve seen out of this FO since the lottery.

Look, no one who has been around basketball for longer than 5 seconds is going to pass on Luka at #2. The guy runs a team like an All-Star point-forward at the age of 19, and he just pops in every game he plays. The next question is, how does the current team fit around him because this kid is coming in to run things. He’s won everything there is to win in Europe. He’s not coming to the Kings to play third or even second fiddle to a bunch of guys that won less than 30 games. Superstardom doesn’t work like that. And, he already runs a team better than Fox ever will. Fox could be really, really good. But it’s going to be a different type of really good from how Luka bosses a game.

I think we’ve been targeting a second high pick for a while. The MPJ hype never made sense at #2, and it’s still way too high to take MPJ. But, the interest is certainly genuine. Then, the late meeting with Carter after the Mavs and Grizzlies show high interest in MPJ. Why would we fly Carter in 5 days before the draft? There is no reasonable trade down scenario where Carter would come into play. Sure, we could trade down to #9 for Porzingis, but come on. And, the only player that gets a conversation going around the #4 or #6 is Fox.

I love Fox. I think he and Luka could work well together. But, I won’t be surprised if he’s dealt.

De'Aaron is going to be more of a franchise player than Boogie ever was minus the temper and effort inconsistencies. We lucked into the #5 pick (even after the 76ers exercises the swap) and we lucked into the #2 and Bagley this year. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. And when you are as "good" as our GM is, sometimes luck is all you have! :p

Darren definitely wanted to return. But we spent over twice as much on half the player. Hill was suppose to provide the same scoring punch with better D but was disinterested and looking for an exit 10 games into the season. We paid a role player like a star. Compounded with the second year guarantee to Z-Bo and that is (at least) 20M more in cap space we could have now if not for the reckless imprudence of this GM. He has a chance to do something right on Thursday. He has arguably made one legitimately good move in his tenure: trade for Boggy. Every other move has been inconclusive, neutral, poor or ridiculously bad.

Darren definitely wanted to return. But we spent over twice as much on half the player. Hill was suppose to provide the same scoring punch with better D but was disinterested and looking for an exit 10 games into the season. We paid a role player like a star. Compounded with the second year guarantee to Z-Bo and that is (at least) 20M more in cap space we could have now if not for the reckless imprudence of this GM. He has a chance to do something right on Thursday. He has arguably made one legitimately good move in his tenure: trade for Boggy. Every other move has been inconclusive, neutral, poor or ridiculously bad.
This is true and Vlade is definitely in a make or break situation this draft.

I think most people willing to trade Fox want to see how it all might play out with his 2 comrades in Bog and Doncic, who are both better point guards atm.
The argument is centered around diminishing returns, but with the way the NBA is going right now, maybe the point of diminishment has been raised quite substantially when it comes to ball handling. I don't know, but I'm skeptical.
I also loved Bogdan at PG last year and now we're hopefully adding a Bogdan Big Gulp. Can we just play with three basketballs on the court please?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I have made a number of those posts, but don’t advocate for it. I just think it’s what’s going to happen. It’s the only tactical play that makes sense of everything we’ve seen out of this FO since the lottery.

Look, no one who has been around basketball for longer than 5 seconds is going to pass on Luka at #2. The guy runs a team like an All-Star point-forward at the age of 19, and he just pops in every game he plays. The next question is, how does the current team fit around him because this kid is coming in to run things. He’s won everything there is to win in Europe. He’s not coming to the Kings to play third or even second fiddle to a bunch of guys that won less than 30 games. Superstardom doesn’t work like that. And, he already runs a team better than Fox ever will. Fox could be really, really good. But it’s going to be a different type of really good from how Luka bosses a game.

I think we’ve been targeting a second high pick for a while. The MPJ hype never made sense at #2, and it’s still way too high to take MPJ. But, the interest is certainly genuine. Then, the late meeting with Carter after the Mavs and Grizzlies show high interest in MPJ. Why would we fly Carter in 5 days before the draft? There is no reasonable trade down scenario where Carter would come into play. Sure, we could trade down to #9 for Porzingis, but come on. And, the only player that gets a conversation going around the #4 or #6 is Fox.

I love Fox. I think he and Luka could work well together. But, I won’t be surprised if he’s dealt.
It's an interesting take. If Doncic is as you say, "coming in to run things," then that has to be factored into the equation.

I just cannot see moving Fox. I do live in Ohio but do watch the kings on NBA tv every chance I get which comes to about 75% of them.
I do not want to rehash the way we used Fox for most of the season but what I saw late last season was very positive for our future with him. We were very happy with the pick and with the luck of the chance to draft him.

Now with with the 2nd pick I will be very happy with doncic or Ayton at 2. I have been a advocate of Bagley at two just because I watched a few of his games and liked what I saw. I have not watched any of Doncic’s games but will trust to the experts on his play.

I do not like to move back in this draft but take either of those two and be done with it.

I do not see a problem with trying to pick up another top 5 or 6 pick but not with giving up our core. A bad contract maybe but would have to see the trade before I could decide on that.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think he was fine as a rookie pg last year making plays, and that was with a team that for several reasons didn't seem interested in running with him down the court. I'll be very disappointed next year if we don't see a team that runs the break much more often and much better than last year. There has to be a commitment to run, not jog, not lope, or lollygag. Run the break, or better yet, sprint! If that happens, Fox's effectiveness will jump accordingly. He can't be running by himself, nor can he be running with wings who can't hit an open 3, or bigs that take plays off because Fox has the ball and is running ahead of them up the court. This team has no identity at all. They have to decide who they want to be. Last year it was some weird hybrid of aged players, young players, players who wanted to run, and players that didn't. Next season we need to see a team that is built around the speed-demon, Fox. He's the point of the spear. If they don't do that they are unwittingly undermining his effectiveness and the overall effectiveness of the team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Where I vehemently disagree is that they'll trade him on draft night. That isn't how Vlade works and I'm positive he's not going to give up on Fox before seeing how whomever he picks works out with the talent we have. Everything Vlade does is predicated on giving every opportunity to people to prove their worth, to correct their mistakes, to learn and grow. Look at how long it took him to pull the plug on finally trading Cousins.

DeAaron Fox has done nothing to merit a draft-day trade. He has done everything to merit being around longer to grow and to thrive.

I still believe in him as a player and his upside and I highly doubt they move him (and I don’t think his trade value merits his talent at this point with a subpar advanced stat year), but the consistency and aggression annoyed me a bit. You just wanted him to show consistently what he played with the first few weeks and in the clutch all year

What this franchise needs to show is stability. How are we going to improve our reputation among agents and future draft prospects, if we give up on our "dream" pick after one year? We need to give our rookies the room to grow. As long as progress is shown, we have to stay patient. Fox stays.

Last edited:
What this franchise needs to show is stability. How are we going to improve our reputation among agents and future draft prospects, if we give up on our "dream" pick after one year? We need to give our rookies the room as possibility to grow. As long as progress is shown, we have to stay patient. Fox stays.
We're not giving up on fox, that's a joke. And if we did it better be for young at the point and not Doncic who's a sf

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We're not giving up on fox, that's a joke. And if we did it better be for young at the point and not Doncic who's a sf
He was talking about the part of my post where I said we're not going to trade Fox for a draft pick on draft night, a comment I made in reference to all those hypothesizing some scenario where that would happen.

He was talking about the part of my post where I said we're not going to trade Fox for a draft pick on draft night, a comment I made in reference to all those hypothesizing some scenario where that would happen.
I was agreeing with him, no way we give up on fox. That's fan talk, I really doubt anything of the sort has even been kicked around by Vlade and co.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was agreeing with him, no way we give up on fox. That's fan talk, I really doubt anything of the sort has even been kicked around by Vlade and co.
My bad. I thought you were saying his post was a joke. (I'll be so glad when the draft is over...)

As far as the bolded part of your post, in that we are in total and complete agreement. :)

I really liked Fox once I saw him play in the NCAA tournament. Elite speed, great finisher, runs the floor, quick defender. He has shown the ability in college to be a serious scorer from all over the court. He is a gym rat and his shooting range will improve. That will make him a potent player on offense. I really like his defensive potential.

I remember a guy in high school on our team that was really quick. It was God given talent. Playing against a player like that is demoralizing. You beat him and he is so fast he can recover, much like the all-pro defensive backs in football. They are never out of the play .