Luka Doncic (pre and post-draft discussion thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Larry Bird would suck today "argument" is beyond dumb and shows how little some understand the game. First off just as an aside, Larry Bird would be more athletic and built stronger with modern training regimens and the advancements in sports science. Even without that Bird would have the highest basketball IQ in the game alongside LeBron, truly elite vision and passing. He would shoot even more threes in the modern game and he was 6'10 with a shot that was tough to guard. If you want a modern comparison Bird would be a mix of Lebron and Dirk.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Granted we only really had usenet as a forum then, but the Doncic doubters just remind me so much of the knocks on Dirk coming in. But in the last 20 years we've seen numerous Euro players come in and play at the highest levels in the league. This is a teenager competing at a high level against grown men for pretty much 2 years straight at this point. Put him in an NBA training regimen and let's talk about his body in 2-3 years. Or 25. He's still 7-8 years away from peak, but he's doing things that none of his Euro forbearers did at his age if at all.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Granted we only really had usenet as a forum then, but the Doncic doubters just remind me so much of the knocks on Dirk coming in. But in the last 20 years we've seen numerous Euro players come in and play at the highest levels in the league. This is a teenager competing at a high level against grown men for pretty much 2 years straight at this point. Put him in an NBA training regimen and let's talk about his body in 2-3 years. Or 25. He's still 7-8 years away from peak, but he's doing things that none of his Euro forbearers did at his age if at all.
Furthermore, Dirk looked pretty bad his rookie year. I remember laughing openly at times. Man, was I wrong.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Furthermore, Dirk looked pretty bad his rookie year. I remember laughing openly at times. Man, was I wrong.
Dirk looked bad, Kobe looked like a horrid chucker for 2 years at least, Steve Nash nothing special.

You can go through recent ROtY awards and see quite a few guys that wind up nowhere near the top of their class 5-10 years down as well.

Yeah he had an alright career. But he was maxed out year one in the nba, no room for growth. His lack of athleticism held him back. He was a super star at a lower level but a journeyman in the NBA. Not a bad player, just not a guy we want at #2.

Go look throughout the history of number 3 picks. Getting a 17 and 7 big ends up being a good haul. The extremes of either being the GOAT or being garbage are just that, extreme. If the concern is athletic ability I wouldn't be all that concerned with Doncic. He's quick and has decent verticality. He's more athletic than Bogdan and he seems to get by just fine although I will concede Bogdan is more rangy than Luka.

Go look throughout the history of number 3 picks. Getting a 17 and 7 big ends up being a good haul. The extremes of either being the GOAT or being garbage are just that, extreme. If the concern is athletic ability I wouldn't be all that concerned with Doncic. He's quick and has decent verticality. He's more athletic than Bogdan and he seems to get by just fine although I will concede Bogdan is more rangy than Luka.
Yeah I think we'd be all pretty bummed if we came out of this with a 17-7 guy. Looking for upside while keeping downside to a minimum is tough but that's what we have to do. I don't see the superstar upside in Luka. I do in jjj though, that's why I'm constantly arguing leading up to the draft. Can't wait to see who's right.

I think people keep shrugging off the fact that he’s been playing non stop for over a year. Same with Bogie, I’m interested to see if they look a step faster or if it’s noticeable after the offseason. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there’s some sneaky athleticism that we will end up seeing from the both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.