Kings moving Bighorns to Stockton!

I was hoping that we would be a bit more creative with the name. Kings seems like an easy way out. Not that it means anything really!
Me too. But I kinda expected this. Looks like the trend is to align the g-league like it's a feeder program. There's at least 10 other franchises, including the Lakers and Warriors, doing it the same way.

I for one would like to see us move away from the Kings name meaning royals or monarchs and, instead, move gradually toward the name meaning lions or pride. It's better imagery for a 21st century sports team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was hoping that we would be a bit more creative with the name. Kings seems like an easy way out. Not that it means anything really!
I for one would like to see us move away from the Kings name meaning royals or monarchs and, instead, move gradually toward the name meaning lions or pride. It's better imagery for a 21st century sports team.
While I'm not overly impressed with just naming the team the Kings, I can understand wanting to make sure the links between the two are understood. It's also kind of a "we're united" type of thing.

As far as the lions/pride thing, I truly doubt you'll ever see that. The lion is our mascot, not our team name. I don't see that changing. The Kings/Royals are one of the oldest franchises around. From Wikipedia:

The Kings are one of the oldest continuously operating professional basketball franchises in the nation. They originated in Rochester, New York, as the Rochester Seagrams (a semi-professional team) in 1923 and joined the National Basketball League in 1945 as the Rochester Royals. There's something good about maintaining that theme. Of course, going back to the Seagrams could be interesting. I've got all kinds of ideas in that regard. ;)

Why is the King's mascot a lion? Is that just random? I don't think so. I think it's intentionally associating Lions with Kings because lions are more exciting. But I get that some don't want to change tradition.

It's a done deal. They picked "Kings."
It may be a "done deal," but since when does that mean we stop talking about it?! Isn't a true fan supposed to obsess?
BTW, if they'd picked Stockton Squires, I'd be done with this team! That would be a bridge too far for me. Or should I say a kingdom too far?
VF - relax. You know I'm kidding, right?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It may be a "done deal," but since when does that mean we stop talking about it?! Isn't a true fan supposed to obsess?
BTW, if they'd picked Stockton Squires, I'd be done with this team! That would be a bridge too far for me. Or should I say a kingdom too far?
VF - relax. You know I'm kidding, right?
No problem. It just seemed as though a couple of recent posters didn't know. ;)

I'm still hoping for a return to Seagrams. Imagine the handouts on opening night!! :p

Stockton Royals would have been better.

Id like a renaming altogether of the team to reflect something about Sacramento history. Denver got the jump on nuggets, but perhaps we could pay some tribute to the fur trade with

Sacramento Beavers?

For each pregame a giant Beaver mascot could chew through a fake tree with oppenents name on it symbolic of our coming victory over them.

The Beavers, Seagrams, they’re all missed opportunities and more reasons why the King’s organization is the laughingstock of the NBA and its players without talent. The sky is falling and we’re all gonna die.

Shouldn’t they be the Princes?
Funny, I thought of that too but knew instantly it would never fly because it sounds similar to 'Princess'. The only way it works is singular. Stockton Prince.

I still like my 'Stockton Pride' idea a lot better than sharing the Kings name. But I guess they want a true brand alignment.