Bizarro Wide World of Sports Lin Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I'm going to say is Papa and Malachi would have been great for the tank.
ORRR (crazy concept I know)

players with only a 1 year and a half of NBA exp and very little court time might have actually gotten better with more playing time. Either way, we'd be doing something productive.

Just makes me angry when we continuously look back at trash-can move after trash-can move from Vlade.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I've been wondering why the heck Vlade traded away our only viable tank strategy. He said Papa wouldn't get minutes and couldn't develop with us (or something like that). Is this because Joerger wouldn't play him or because Vlade is on that silly deadline he set for himself?
It's been reported that Papa was vocally unhappy with his role and believed he'd see a lot more court time on another team.

We have no place for that on our roster so he was moved.

Joerger has played first and second year players in 51% of Kings available minutes - tops in the league, that doesn't even include WCS who is also on his first contract and considered still as a young guy. But he still makes guys earn it. I really think this bodes well even if it means we don't get Doncic or Ayton. As intriguing as both those guys are I'm not sure either is can't miss either.

It's been reported that Papa was vocally unhappy with his role and believed he'd see a lot more court time on another team.

Joerger has played first and second year players in 51% of Kings available minutes - tops in the league, that doesn't even include WCS who is also on his first contract and considered still as a young guy. But he still makes guys earn it. I really think this bodes well even if it means we don't get Doncic or Ayton. As intriguing as both those guys are I'm not sure either is can't miss either.
That stat has already been pointed out as being misleading. 6 of the 11 main rotational players on the Kings are first and second year players. I'm not going to pat Joerger on the back for doing the obvious by playing the younger guys minutes so they can develop into better players.

People can come up with whatever reasons they want to justify the Kings putting themselves in a position to reduce their odds of landing a talented player. Whether it's respect in the locker room by earning your minutes or developing a winning culture by beating G League level teams. When all is said and done, the teams with talent will be in the playoffs and the teams devoid of talent will be in the lottery.

One thing we can be certain that won't land them in the playoffs is beating teams like the Hawks that aren't even fielding NBA caliber rosters. What's even worse is our "franchise" player in Fox got completely tuned up by some no named scrub PG on the Hawks. The Kings are always behind the curve on strategic basketball moves. Every other team takes the 80/20 ratio into the equation. 80% of your success is due to talent, 20% is due to everything else. The Kings are putting entirely too much stock into that 20% while foregoing the strategy to acquire talent.

In the end we're going to have a team full of nice guys that get along with each other and love their coach, but they won't be able to win 45 games in a season to save their lives because they aren't talented enough.

The Kings not caring about tanking doesn't mean that they're better than their record indicates or even as good as their record. This team is not as far along as people think it is.

Best case scenario if everything breaks right is the Heat or last year's Jazz. More likely scenario is we wind up as the current Pistons or Hornets.

it will be interesting to see where teams that "did it right" (Memphis/Atlanta) are compared to the Kings in several years.

(and I am aware of difference between miximizing odds and the actual outcome)

Oh wow I guess Papa really was a primadonna.
Didn't expect other teams to tank this hard. Vlade, Joerger, many fans not up for that ugly fight... Still needed to be had though. 8th is literally the worst spot to be imo.

Nine more games to go, three against Linners. Dallas at home, at least Dallas shows the occasional willingness to win, and Memphis and Phoenix on the road. It will be interesting to see how the Suns and Grizz perform. Both games towards the end of their respective tankathons and they are in fierce competion with each other.
My guess, they will both roll over at home.

Great, now the Kings send Bruno to Reno. WTF, is our management braindead?
No. Our management just gets the point of the game. Which is to win. And they understand that, in order to win, a player with tremendous upside needs to develop. Bruno, in their eyes, has tremendous upside. So why not send him to Reno to develop????

No. Our management just gets the point of the game. Which is to win. And they understand that, in order to win, a player with tremendous upside needs to develop. Bruno, in their eyes, has tremendous upside. So why not send him to Reno to develop????
Are you sure that in their eyes he has tremendous upside? I ask that because besides him and VC, all of the other players either have player options or are under contract for next year. The Kings have have salary cap room next year but they are short on roster spots.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Are you sure that in their eyes he has tremendous upside? I ask that because besides him and VC, all of the other players either have player options or are under contract for next year. The Kings have have salary cap room next year but they are short on roster spots.
I will not pretend to speak for eMB, but my mom used to tell me that when I had a choice to say something nice or something mean, always choose the something nice. ;)

You know, at some point this all just becomes laughable.

Sending Bruno to Reno for the next couple of days means he'll get to play, instead of sitting idly.
Have a good laugh on me then.

I agree Bruno needs playing time, but he should have got it as a King on the Kings amongst all these meaningless games. As a fan and Bruno hopeful I would have loved to see what he has in the big league this year, Reno makes guys like Stockton Jr look good but it does not always translate.

If Telemachus is correct and Bruno is recalled after a couple games off then that's a different story.

Last edited:
I will not pretend to speak for eMB, but my mom used to tell me that when I had a choice to say something nice or something mean, always choose the something nice. ;)
It was an honest question. I have no idea what the brain trust is thinking. I haven't read anything but speculation in terms of the teams outlook for Bruno. It wasn't meant as a slap towards either the poster or the player himself. My apologies to either or both if that is how it came out.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It was an honest question. I have no idea what the brain trust is thinking. I haven't read anything but speculation in terms of the teams outlook for Bruno. It wasn't meant as a slap towards either the poster or the player himself. My apologies to either or both if that is how it came out.
My bad. What I was attempting to say was that eMB might be using a little bit of exaggerated language to describe how the team feels about Bruno, but I truly have no idea one way or the other. Sorry for the confusion.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Have a good laugh on me then.

I agree Bruno needs playing time, but he should have got it as a King on the Kings amongst all these meaningless games. As a fan and Bruno hopeful I would have loved to see what he has in the big league this year, Reno makes guys like Stockton Jr look good but it does not always translate.

If Telemachus is correct and Bruno is recalled after a couple games off then that's a different story.
The Kings have used the D-League in the way I firmly believe it should be used for the whole season. Look how many times Papa G. made the trip between Sacramento and Reno. I don't think anyone has said they've relegated Bruno to the Bighorns with no ability to bring him back.

The tweet by Jason Jones that I quoted in the Celtics game thread is exactly the same as ones he's tweeted in regards to Jack Cooley, JaKarr Sampson, PapaG and any of the others who were temporarily rotated down to the "farm team." That's why I said it's gotten laughable at how quickly people jump to the worst possible conclusion.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Terrible day for us, and now the Bulls are only one loss behind us. We are going to pick 9 or 10 in this draft after a terrible season. What a waste.
Not surprising. This franchise can't even suck properly. #Kangz

Some consolation is that the prospects at 9-10 don't seem THAT much worse than the cats at 4-8.

Sucks that we don't really have a chance in hell to pick top 3 though. Oh well, at least we got those 3 or 4 Temple/Z-bo wins earlier this season!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
3-23.png

5 Tankathon teams in action tonight, 5 lins. Somewhat unsurprisingly, although the Kings are 5-5 in their last 10, none of the other Lintenders have more than 3 wins in their last 10, and they are all on 2-4 game losing streaks (except for the Suns, who are on a 10-game streak). That will change on Saturday, if only for the fact that Phoenix travels to Orlando, and they can't both lose. There are three more Lintenders in action as well, with none of them facing a current playoff team: the Bulls will be going to Detroit, the Grizzlies will be hosting the Lakers, and the Mavericks will be hosting the Hornets.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

5 Tankathon teams in action tonight, 5 lins. Somewhat unsurprisingly, although the Kings are 5-5 in their last 10, none of the other Lintenders have more than 3 wins in their last 10, and they are all on 2-4 game losing streaks (except for the Suns, who are on a 10-game streak). That will change on Saturday, if only for the fact that Phoenix travels to Orlando, and they can't both lose. There are three more Lintenders in action as well, with none of them facing a current playoff team: the Bulls will be going to Detroit, the Grizzlies will be hosting the Lakers, and the Mavericks will be hosting the Hornets.
I'm not gonna count on ANYTHING at this point until the game is in the books. :p

My bad. What I was attempting to say was that eMB might be using a little bit of exaggerated language to describe how the team feels about Bruno, but I truly have no idea one way or the other. Sorry for the confusion.
Yes, I was exaggerating to an extent. Bruno does not cause me to formulate an opinion one way or the other about him.

But, then, maybe I was not exaggerating after all......I mean......Papa G, on draft day, was supposed to be the (next) greatest King, right??? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.