Following 2018 draftees

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
CAn we all agree Izzo handcuffed JJJ all year to artificially deflate his draft stock in a bid to sweet talk him back for his sophomore year? Straight out of the Ben Braun playbook.
He didn't do that last year with Bridges and Miles decided to come back anyway. This seems like kindof a weird argument to make in that context. I don't think Izzo has a history of this either. And if Jackson is thinking about coming back next year to try to win a championship, well he can ask his teammate how that worked out for him. I think he's gone. Porter is the only guy in the top 10 who might stay but there's not much higher his stock can go. He might as well get paid now rather than risk further injury to potentially move up 5 spots in a year.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Omari Spellman is a guy I like quite a bit. He's the versatile big you need in today's NBA. He can shoot the NBA three already, he can pass on the move, has a good handle and can drive to the basket, good defensive player from what I can tell, good instincts, good BBIQ, pretty good rebounder and anticipation instinct for the ball, and looks to be around 6'10," 245 lbs with a 7'2" reach. He's a mobile big man, not "light in the shorts," who has the body to play immediately in the NBA. He was a 5-star frosh out of high school who red shirted, initially had a weight problem that he responsibly dealt with, seems mature enough to me and coachable. I don't think Carter is on his level at all. I see Carter as too slow and too earth-bound in today's NBA, and I have doubts about his ability to play in space, whereas with Spellman I don't have those doubts. If the Kings are in that 7th or 8th slot I could easily see the Kings looking to draft this guy, if he chooses to declare.

http://www.masslive.com/sports/2018/03/omari_spellman_villanova_mens.html

Last edited:
Omari Spellman is a guy I like quite a bit. He's the versatile big you need in today's NBA. He can shoot the NBA three already, he can pass on the move, has a good handle and can drive to the basket, good defensive player from what I can tell, good instincts, good BBIQ, pretty good rebounder and anticipation instinct for the ball, and looks to be around 6'10," 245 lbs with a 7'2" reach. He's a mobile big man, not "light in the shorts," who has the body to play immediately in the NBA. He was a 5-star frosh out of high school who red shirted, initially had a weight problem that he responsibly dealt with, seems mature enough to me and coachable. I don't think Carter is on his level at all. I see Carter as too slow and too earth-bound in today's NBA, and I have doubts about his ability to play in space, whereas with Spellman I don't have those doubts. If the Kings are in that 7th or 8th slot I could easily see the Kings looking to draft this guy, if he chooses to declare.

After watching more Carter i agree...not impressed. He will be more like a patrick patterson than hortford

He looked good yesterday I like his intensity and defense as well as shooting. At 6’9 250 he’d have to play PF next to Giles/WCS although he does have a 7’2 wingspan to play Center. He’s shooting 44% from 3 but 68% from the line he could be a sleeper pick. I think he’ll be s better pro than Knox and Miles Bridges

If we fell to 8/9/10 in the draft I’d trade back with Phoenix for 15 and 16 and get Spellman and Musa from Spain there.

After watching more Carter i agree...not impressed. He will be more like a patrick patterson than hortford
No way, Carter is tougher than Patterson has ever been. Patrick just floats around the perimeter while Carter plays like a real center. Duke just has that goofy offense where they pass it around the perimeter while Carter and Bagley move back and forth until they can throw a lob or just chuck up a 3. It's difficult to gauge what he can do but he can definitely rebound, defend and pass the ball with the best of them.

I haven't seen anything that says Spellman is going to declare for the draft but if he did, he would probably be an early 2nd rounder.

No way, Carter is tougher than Patterson has ever been. Patrick just floats around the perimeter while Carter plays like a real center. Duke just has that goofy offense where they pass it around the perimeter while Carter and Bagley move back and forth until they can throw a lob or just chuck up a 3. It's difficult to gauge what he can do but he can definitely rebound, defend and pass the ball with the best of them.

I haven't seen anything that says Spellman is going to declare for the draft but if he did, he would probably be an early 2nd rounder.
And to Carters fault he’s extremely unselfish but he’ll be money in pick and rolls with Fox and Bogdan. Shooting, passing, and rolling he’s good at all of them to go with solid defensive and high IQ

Hot take #1: unless we get the #1 pick (we’d take Doncic), the top pick will end up being Bagley. In workouts, he’s going to hit enough 3s to assure GMs that he is the most sure thing—an easily projectable 4/5 with elite athleticism, a non-stop motor, and a natural feel for the game.

Hot take #2: if we did get Doncic he would end up playing stretch 4 in our crunch time lineup of Fox/Buddy/Bogie/(Giles/Skal/FA). That’s 3.5-4.5 playmakers and shooters at every position. Defense would be....an adventure. I only count Buddy as .5 in playmaking. He can find the open man, not run the P&R. Giles is a playmaker—maybe that should be hot take #3. Anyway, Warriors, we see your Death Lineup and re-raise.

Hot take #1: unless we get the #1 pick (we’d take Doncic), the top pick will end up being Bagley. In workouts, he’s going to hit enough 3s to assure GMs that he is the most sure thing—an easily projectable 4/5 with elite athleticism, a non-stop motor, and a natural feel for the game.

Hot take #2: if we did get Doncic he would end up playing stretch 4 in our crunch time lineup of Fox/Buddy/Bogie/(Giles/Skal/FA). That’s 3.5-4.5 playmakers and shooters at every position. Defense would be....an adventure. I only count Buddy as .5 in playmaking. He can find the open man, not run the P&R. Giles is a playmaker—maybe that should be hot take #3. Anyway, Warriors, we see your Death Lineup and re-raise.
I stopped dreaming about Doncic a while back I’m onto Mikal Bridges/Carter until the lottery and if we are lucky enough to I’ll start salivating over a Fox-Buddy-Bogdan-Doncic small ball lineup

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
For those still doubting the strength of this draft, the All-American teams were announced today and three Freshmen made the 1st team (Trae Young, Marvin Bagley III, and DeAndre Ayton) for the first time in history. Add to that Doncic looking like the best Euroleague prospect ever and the top of this draft is stacked. Even if we end up in the 6-8 range, the guys getting pushed down to that level would have likely been top 5 in most drafts.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

First, I really doubt that Spellman will declare this year. I think Villanova is expecting both Spellman and DiVincenzo to return for their sophmore years, and if they do, I think Villanova will be in the running for a national title again. Both those guys will likely be lottery picks next year in whats considered a weak draft.

That said, I agree with your analysis. I think Spellman could be a special player. He's an excellent outside shooter, shooting over 40% from the three. He rebounds well and defends the post well. I think he could still lose a little more weight, but to his credit he has already shed over 30 pounds since arriving at Villanova. His appearance belies his athleticism. He moves very well for a big man. I also love DiVincenzo who is an outstanding three pt shooter, great defender, and a player than can play both guard positions. He's also a freak athlete at 6'5".

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I like M. Bridges of Villanova less and less. Reminds me of Lionel Simmons with the way he moves, which is laboriously, ponderously, and arduously.
Well your picking on may absolute favorite player in the draft, and you couldn't be more wrong. He's an above average athlete and is considered the best defensive player in college by most scouts. You can't be a great defensive player, and be a bad athlete. Perhaps you haven't watched him enough, but if you did, you'd see that athletic ability every once in a while. This reminds of the people that argued with me saying that Blake Griffin was not very athletic, and that James Harden wasn't athletic. Bridges is similar to them in that he only uses his athleticism when he needs to. He happens to be a very very high IQ player who is always in the right spot at the right time. As one scout said, he makes defense look easy.

Don't know if you watched the Villanova/Alabama game, but when Villanova had trouble guarding Collin Sexton, who is one of the quickest players in the draft, they put Bridges on him, and he couldn't get past Bridges. Bridges had him so frustrated that Sexton called him a Bit*h, and got a technical.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well your picking on may absolute favorite player in the draft, and you couldn't be more wrong. He's an above average athlete and is considered the best defensive player in college by most scouts. You can't be a great defensive player, and be a bad athlete. Perhaps you haven't watched him enough, but if you did, you'd see that athletic ability every once in a while. This reminds of the people that argued with me saying that Blake Griffin was not very athletic, and that James Harden wasn't athletic. Bridges is similar to them in that he only uses his athleticism when he needs to. He happens to be a very very high IQ player who is always in the right spot at the right time. As one scout said, he makes defense look easy.

Don't know if you watched the Villanova/Alabama game, but when Villanova had trouble guarding Collin Sexton, who is one of the quickest players in the draft, they put Bridges on him, and he couldn't get past Bridges. Bridges had him so frustrated that Sexton called him a Bit*h, and got a technical.
He doesn't look very athletic on offense, that's for sure. He's not going to be stopping many in the NBA. He better be able to score by putting it on the floor and making things happen at the basket. He's got to put pressure on the opposition on offense, not just "defend". The Ariza's or Mbah a Moute types can be gotten in FA or in the lower 1st or 2nd round.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
First, I really doubt that Spellman will declare this year. I think Villanova is expecting both Spellman and DiVincenzo to return for their sophmore years, and if they do, I think Villanova will be in the running for a national title again. Both those guys will likely be lottery picks next year in whats considered a weak draft.

That said, I agree with your analysis. I think Spellman could be a special player. He's an excellent outside shooter, shooting over 40% from the three. He rebounds well and defends the post well. I think he could still lose a little more weight, but to his credit he has already shed over 30 pounds since arriving at Villanova. His appearance belies his athleticism. He moves very well for a big man. I also love DiVincenzo who is an outstanding three pt shooter, great defender, and a player than can play both guard positions. He's also a freak athlete at 6'5".
To me, he's a top 10 pick talentwise. Whether the other NBA teams recognize that, I have no idea. Are they seriously going to pick Knox, Bridges, Carter or Sexton over him? If they do, I think they are making a *big* mistake. If Villanova wins the whole thing and Spellman hears top 10 is possible for him I think there's a pretty chance for him to declare.

What was telling to me in the last game was that you could see that he had an on-court discussion with his pg that he was open and that he needed to get him the ball. This is at the beginning of the game when they were behind. Other guys are out there trying to "get lost" and he's out there with the confidence to tell his pg to give him the freaking ball. Sure enough, the pg gets him the ball on the next possession and he makes the 3 point shot.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
To me, he's a top 10 pick talentwise. Whether the other NBA teams recognize that, I have no idea. Are they seriously going to pick Knox, Bridges, Carter or Sexton over him? If they do, I think they are making a *big* mistake. If Villanova wins the whole thing and Spellman hears top 10 is possible for him I think there's a pretty chance for him to declare.

What was telling to me in the last game was that you could see that he had an on-court discussion with his pg that he was open and that he needed to get him the ball. This is at the beginning of the game when they were behind. Other guys are out there trying to "get lost" and he's out there with the confidence to tell his pg to give him the freaking ball. Sure enough, the pg gets him the ball on the next possession and he makes the 3 point shot.
W. Virginia's game plan was to defend Brunson and Bridges, and Villanova made some adjustments and used Spellman as the out man to get the ball to. Unfortunately for W. Virginia, Spellman had his shooting cap on. He's shot the ball well all year at around 41%, but don't forget that everyone on that Villanova team is a good shooter.

Bridges: 43.6%
Brunson: 41.4%
Spellman: 44.6%
DiVincenzo: 38.5%
Booth: 39.0%
Gillespie: 39!%
Paschall: 33.0%

Those are the three point percentages of the rotational players for Villanova, and the only weak link is Paschall. Villanova plays a very short rotation. I won't say for sure that Spellman won't declare, but Villanova seldom has one and done players. Jay Wright is a terrific coach who his players love playing for. If Nova wins the title this year, then maybe Spellman might consider it, but I still think he returns to school. Next year is a weak draft and he might be a top five selection. No guarantee's this year. Wishful thinking won't make it happen.

As to your opinion on Bridges, all I can say is your 100% dead wrong, and you'll find out how athletic he is at the combine. If I were to criticize, it would be his need to improve his ball handling for the next level. But Bridges has improved dramatically every year he's been in college, which shows his work ethic, and that he hasn't reached his ceiling yet. He is considered by most scouts to have the highest floor in the draft, and without a doubt, the safest pick. Doesn't mean he'll be the best player out of this draft, but he's considered the least risky of all the top picks.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He doesn't look very athletic on offense, that's for sure. He's not going to be stopping many in the NBA. He better be able to score by putting it on the floor and making things happen at the basket. He's got to put pressure on the opposition on offense, not just "defend". The Ariza's or Mbah a Moute types can be gotten in FA or in the lower 1st or 2nd round.
By the way, if your really interested at all in Bridges then I suggest you read the article I post in as a separate thread by Cole Zwicker. It's a long article and a fair article. He does comparisons with many well known 3 and D players at that same stage of their careers, like Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, Danny Green etc. As a matter of fact, I'll just repost it.

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/02/21/mikal-bridges-wing-shot-diversity/

Thought I'd throw in a video from this season as well. Maybe a bit of overkill me thinks.......

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Get on the Spellman bandwagon now! Tickets are going fast! He is a big time talent and definitely should go top 10. Imo, he should easily go top 7. This Carter, Bridges to Nowehere, Sexton, Young, Alexander dregs don't have his talent. I love Jackson because of his athletic potential, but I'd rank Spellman above Jackson because Jackson is much more of a long term project with no assurance that it will ever get there. Spellman is money in the bank right now. If he were on the Kings he instantly makes them better on offense because he's a legit 3 point threat to spread the floor and on defense because he can rebound and move with some agility for a guy who has some beef. (Note: These are two things the Kings don't get from WCS - a legit outside 3 point shooting threat and rebounding). If Spellman is a tad overweight it just makes him that much better when he really gets in major shape and gets that fat % down even lower. I see no financial reason whatsoever for this guy to stay in school. NBA scouts must have been sandbagging this guy to have his stock so low in the draft at this point. Absolutely ridiculous that he's not a top 10 pick on the mock drafts.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Get on the Spellman bandwagon now! Tickets are going fast! He is a big time talent and definitely should go top 10. Imo, he should easily go top 7. This Carter, Bridges to Nowehere, Sexton, Young, Alexander dregs don't have his talent. I love Jackson because of his athletic potential, but I'd rank Spellman above Jackson because Jackson is much more of a long term project with no assurance that it will ever get there. Spellman is money in the bank right now. If he were on the Kings he instantly makes them better on offense because he's a legit 3 point threat to spread the floor and on defense because he can rebound and move with some agility for a guy who has some beef. (Note: These are two things the Kings don't get from WCS - a legit outside 3 point shooting threat and rebounding). If Spellman is a tad overweight it just makes him that much better when he really gets in major shape and gets that fat % down even lower. I see no financial reason whatsoever for this guy to stay in school. NBA scouts must have been sandbagging this guy to have his stock so low in the draft at this point. Absolutely ridiculous that he's not a top 10 pick on the mock drafts.
I'll get on the Spellman bandwagon, when I see there's a bandwagon to get on. I know you and many people think that the only thing a young player like Spellman thinks about is playing in the NBA and making a ton of money. Hey, it's hard to argue with the allure of that. And I can't say that Spellman won't decide to chase that dream. But it would be extremely unusual for a Villanova player to do, and that's why I'm holding back on doing any fourm PR on him. I wouldn't be shocked it Brunson and Bridges returned for one more year. Both are juniors along with Paschall.

I can't remember any player from the Jay Wright era that has been a one and done player. Wright usually recruits players that will commit to more than one year at Villanova. Players of somewhat recent note, Josh Hart, Kerry Kittles, Ed Pickney, Harold Pressley, and Dante Cunningham were all seniors when drafted. Harold Pressley was drafted by the Kings. I haven't had a heart to heart with coach Wright, but I think the reason he doesn't recruit players that are in the top 10, and many times not even in the top 20, is because they tend to be one and done players.

Wright is all about teamwork and unselfishness. Playing for your teammates and not playing for yourself and stats. They go with the hot hand on any given night. That's why you'll see players like Brunson, Spellman, DiVincenzo, and Bridges points scored vary from night to night. They always shoot the ball well, but they don't care who scores the ball. They get it to the open man. Wright knows it's difficult to get that kind of attitude, culture, and system installed in a player in one year. He's more about building a program than he is about churning out lottery picks. Both DiVincenzo and Spellman are exceptions for freshmen when it comes to playing time. I believe both are redshirt freshmen. I know Spellman is.

None of this means that Spellman won't be the first one and done player in the history of Villanova, but I'll believe it when I see it. Would I love him on the Kings? Damm right I would. He's a very talented kid. But before I jump on that bandwagon as you call it, I have to see him declare.

I’m on the bandwagon if he declares and if definitely take him over Carter and Bridges. Hopefully he explodes tomorrow and Nova wins giving him no reason to go back

bajaden

Hall of Famer
A few quotes about Bridges, Brunson, and Mo Wagner:

Mikal is a safe pick,” ESPN’s Fran Fraschilla told ZAGSBLOG. “Mikal is a safe pick because he’s already fits into the modern NBA game. He can defend multiple positions. He is an elite outside shooter and he comes into the league as a player who has a lot of growth in his game. From redshirt to now there’s been a dramatic improvement and he’s got the kind of character that he looks like he has even more room for development and growth.

“He has positional size, versatility, ability to defend and he projects to be an elite shooter at the NBA level. He’s an easy pick once you get in that 5-10 range.”

Added one NBA scout: “Mikal is very talented and his trajectory skill-wise is on the way up. You could make an argument for him to get drafted anywhere after the top three.”

Like Bridges, Brunson has done virtually nothing but win in his three years at Villanova.

The 6-3 point guard was named the AP National Player of the Year after averaging 19.2 points, 4.7 assists and 3.1 rebounds this year. During his tenure at Villanova, he has a chance to win his second NCAA championship in three years and has already won two Big East regular-season and two Big East Tournament titles.

Though there are questions about his defensive ability at the next level, Brunson projects as a longtime NBA point guard, potentially as a backup. He is generally seen as a second-round pick.

“He has the highest basketball IQ in college ball and will play 12 years in the league,” a second NBA scout said of Brunson.

The 6-11 Wagner, meantime, has likely helped his stock here after his 24-point, 15-rebound, 3-steal performance in the national semifinals against Loyola-Chicago. He made 3-of-7 from beyond the arc and also grabbed 6 offensive boards.

One NBA executive said he projects Wagner in the 25-35 range and said he’ll be a “backup five” in the league.

Wagner grew up modeling his game after fellow German Dirk Nowitzki. The two met in February 2017 and on Saturday night, Nowitzki gave his protégé a shoutout.

I think Mikal will be a good NBA player but if the Kings are looking for a #1 guy, I highly doubt he is it. Has high level roleplayer written all over him ala Trevor Ariza. I think his ceiling is the current version of Otto Porter (which is very good but not good enough to carry a team).

How many non intense, almost passive type offensive players have gone on to become #1 scorers? Kawhi is the only high level one I can think of at the moment. Don't get me wrong, Mikal plays with intensity, especially on defense. He's not going to be like WCS but he doesn't have that #1 scorers mentality that you look for if you're a team that doesn't have that guy yet. Doncic, Ayton, Young, Bagley, Porter and even Sexton have it but I don't see it in Mikal.

I think Mikal will be a good NBA player but if the Kings are looking for a #1 guy, I highly doubt he is it. Has high level roleplayer written all over him ala Trevor Ariza. I think his ceiling is the current version of Otto Porter (which is very good but not good enough to carry a team).

How many non intense, almost passive type offensive players have gone on to become #1 scorers? Kawhi is the only high level one I can think of at the moment. Don't get me wrong, Mikal plays with intensity, especially on defense. He's not going to be like WCS but he doesn't have that #1 scorers mentality that you look for if you're a team that doesn't have that guy yet. Doncic, Ayton, Young, Bagley, Porter and even Sexton have it but I don't see it in Mikal.
with the Kings probably drafting in the 6-10 range, it's unlikely they'll even have a chance to pick a #1 type scorer.

Maybe if Bagley or Porter Jr drops to us

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You can add DiVincenzo to the Spellman bandwagon. The kid is no fluke. He's been hidden as the "6th man" when he's a lot more talented than these other wanabees being talked about as top-10 draft material. For example, who in their right mind would take Sexton over DiVincenzo? Or Young? Or Alexander? Maybe both Spellman or DiVincenzo can declare. I'd take either one of them over the cast of schlock that is left the Kings at that 7th or 8th slot. Divac better hope that some of these guys that weren't counted on declaring do in fact declare. Otherwise it becomes more likely he's going to hand us a bag of peanuts for a season of pain, unless he gets hit by lightning in the ping pong ball lottery.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You can add DiVincenzo to the Spellman bandwagon. The kid is no fluke. He's been hidden as the "6th man" when he's a lot more talented than these other wanabees being talked about as top-10 draft material. For example, who in their right mind would take Sexton over DiVincenzo? Or Young? Or Alexander? Maybe both Spellman or DiVincenzo can declare. I'd take either one of them over the cast of schlock that is left the Kings at that 7th or 8th slot. Divac better hope that some of these guys that weren't counted on declaring do in fact declare. Otherwise it becomes more likely he's going to hand us a bag of peanuts for a season of pain, unless he gets hit by lightning in the ping pong ball lottery.
Well I've been talking about DiVincenzo all season. Glad to see some people are waking up to him. He falls in the same class as Spellman with me. I'll believe it when I see it. I do appreciate your optimism on the rest of the class. I think next year, if I'm still alive and kicking, I'll just watch a couple of games with each player instead of 25 or 30. Obviously, that's all you need, to know everything about a player. Sure would save me a lot of time and space on my DVR...

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Well I've been talking about DiVincenzo all season. Glad to see some people are waking up to him. He falls in the same class as Spellman with me. I'll believe it when I see it. I do appreciate your optimism on the rest of the class. I think next year, if I'm still alive and kicking, I'll just watch a couple of games with each player instead of 25 or 30. Obviously, that's all you need, to know everything about a player. Sure would save me a lot of time and space on my DVR...
I don't need 25 games to get a read on a player. It's not rocket science in which one has to pore over minutiae to determine that Fredette isn't a guy you want to draft, that his left hand dribble is wobbly and quickness is suspect, or that WCS isn't going to transform himself and rebound at a rate of one rebound every three minutes when he gets to the NBA and that his straight-ahead speed is not going to make up for his other offensive deficiencies.

Your assumptions about my viewing are incorrect and self-serving. I watch some games during the regular season as well as the NCAAs. I just have a lot more concentrated viewing during the NCAAs. If you or anybody else on this board was right about Mitchell and Kuzma in the last draft as well as being right many more times than not in past drafts I would bow to you, defer to you, and give homage to you. Absent that, I'll go with my own gut on a lot of these players and if it miffs you that I'm not deferring to your opinion, so be it. In general, I'm pessimistic about a lot of these guys for good reason - history shows that most of them aren't going to make it in the NBA, or will be role players if they do make it in the NBA. That's a simple fact. So my pessimism is constructed out of historical experience, not a predisposition to be a nay-sayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.