Grant: "No question about that, Jerry."
Jerry: "He's shooting the ball with confidence."
Grant: "No question about it."
Jerry: "He's too big and too fast. They can't stop him."
Grant: "Well, they just stopped him, Jerry."

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
not a quote but I do remember these two actually talking about eggs on a broadcast a few seasons back, can't remember what year but from then on, the mute button was in full effect and hasn't let up since :)

I like Jerry. He just agrees with whatever Grant says to keep the peace but he is way more of a homer than he acts when he's next to Grant.

Talking about his walks. Talking how bad the Kings were when he was coaching them. Talking about the time Vlade hid out and scared him. Talking about his "friendship" with Larry Bird. Talking about their royalty checks when thay were on Lebron's TV commercial. Talking about his playing days when he was known as the Caucasian Comet. Talking about when he coached Bob McAadoo in community college.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Grant's an idiot and Jerry is a saint.

New ownership should have put major space between the franchise, Grant and Aileen
The ownership (old or new) has no control over Ailene. She answers to the idiots in charge of the Sacramento Bee.

The ownership (old or new) has no control over Ailene. She answers to the idiots in charge of the Sacramento Bee.
Dont give her access to players/franchise is the move i would have made.

Force the bee to remove her.

We are the honey pot, the only big league sports franchise in town. We hold all the cards

Grant's an idiot and Jerry is a saint.

New ownership should have put major space between the franchise, Grant and Aileen

What IS Grant's relationship to the team?

He broadcasts for TV and talks for radio - probably gets paid by both.

But does he have any economic connection to the team?

Could the team get him removed from his radio or tv gig(s) after 30 years behind the mic?

I do remember that the Yankees were able to directly fire the great Red Barber (after he ordered the cameras to pan the 413 paid fans in a 67,000 seat Yankee Stadium), but those were the old days.

Does Grant have to worry about the Kings having such power over his livelihood in today's sports universe?

Or is he just sucking up because he wants to?

------------------------------------------------------

Favorite Jerry Reynolds quote:

"I guess everyone in the arena knew but me".

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...st-record-sunday-showcase-20151226-story.html

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What IS Grant's relationship to the team?

He broadcasts for TV and talks for radio - probably gets paid by both.

But does he have any economic connection to the team?

Could the team get him removed from his radio or tv gig(s) after 30 years behind the mic?

I do remember that the Yankees were able to directly fire the great Red Barber (after he ordered the cameras to pan the 413 paid fans in a 67,000 seat Yankee Stadium), but those were the old days.

Does Grant have to worry about the Kings having such power over his livelihood in today's sports universe?

Or is he just sucking up because he wants to?

------------------------------------------------------

Favorite Jerry Reynolds quote:

"I guess everyone in the arena knew but me".

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...st-record-sunday-showcase-20151226-story.html
Grant has been employed by the Kings as play-by-play announcer AND separately employed by KHTK as a sports commentator for years. He is paid separately. He is an employee of the Kings organization so he does have an economic connection in that sense. He is also, from all indications, well thought of throughout the NBA broadcaster universe.

There is no reason the Kings would want to get rid of him. As much as fans gripe, myself included, he does a credible job. Where some of us get upset is that his radio persona of the Jim Rome-like caustic sports guy is pretty much the polar opposite of his front office supporting on the TV air PBP guy. It's tough to hear him rip players on the radio and then act as though nothing untoward has ever been said when he's sitting next to Jerry. However he does it, he's managed to walk the tightrope for a long time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Dont give her access to players/franchise is the move i would have made.

Force the bee to remove her.

We are the honey pot, the only big league sports franchise in town. We hold all the cards
You deny her access and you're opening a can of worms you don't even want to take off the shelf.

The Bee isn't overly concerned with the Kings "holding all the cards". Have you looked at their coverage of the Warriors? They'd fill in the gap with MORE Warriors coverage. The Bee sports department hasn't been relative in a very long time. In fact, the Bee itself hasn't been relative, something they should have been able to master since they drove the Sacramento Union out of business many years ago.

A lot of us may not like AV, but she fills a niche. After all, if she wasn't around who would point out Peja's rippling muscles? Who would act as a foil for the likes of PDA? She's gone to great length to describe the Emperor's New Clothes and the casual fan eats it up.

Grant has been employed by the Kings as play-by-play announcer AND separately employed by KHTK as a sports commentator for years. He is paid separately. He is an employee of the Kings organization so he does have an economic connection in that sense. He is also, from all indications, well thought of throughout the NBA broadcaster universe.

There is no reason the Kings would want to get rid of him. As much as fans gripe, myself included, he does a credible job. Where some of us get upset is that his radio persona of the Jim Rome-like caustic sports guy is pretty much the polar opposite of his front office supporting on the TV air PBP guy. It's tough to hear him rip players on the radio and then act as though nothing untoward has ever been said when he's sitting next to Jerry. However he does it, he's managed to walk the tightrope for a long time.
I've always wanted to hear the G-Man jump over to the TV side and call a game with Jerry. Give Grant the night off...

I did not suggest that the Kings would want to get rid of him - I just wondered if they had the power to do so. I assumed that he was being paid by radio and tv rather than the kings themselves. So, do the Kings essentially produce their own game broadcasts? Do all NBA teams do that now?

For awhile, during the Demarcus debacle, I thought Granjt might be suffering from early alzheimers - he just seemed to "lose it" whenever dmc was mentioned. doug would try (or pretend to try) to "calm him down" (even though DC seemed to be a boogie fan). Guess it was part of the "angry radio personality" role

Last edited:
You deny her access and you're opening a can of worms you don't even want to take off the shelf.

The Bee isn't overly concerned with the Kings "holding all the cards". Have you looked at their coverage of the Warriors? They'd fill in the gap with MORE Warriors coverage. The Bee sports department hasn't been relative in a very long time. In fact, the Bee itself hasn't been relative, something they should have been able to master since they drove the Sacramento Union out of business many years ago.

A lot of us may not like AV, but she fills a niche. After all, if she wasn't around who would point out Peja's rippling muscles? Who would act as a foil for the likes of PDA? She's gone to great length to describe the Emperor's New Clothes and the casual fan eats it up.
LOL!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I did not suggest that the Kings would want to get rid of him - I just wondered if they had the power to do so. I assumed that he was being paid by radio and tv rather than the kings themselves. So, do the Kings essentially produce their own game broadcasts? Do all NBA teams do that now?

For awhile, during the Demarcus debacle, I thought Granjt might be suffering from early alzheimers - he just seemed to "lose it" whenever dmc was mentioned. doug would try (or pretend to try) to "calm him down" (even though DC seemed to be a boogie fan). Guess it was part of the "angry radio personality" role
Kings Sports & Entertainment (possibly not the exact name) produces the games. NBCSports - California broadcasts them. Grant works for Kings Sports. I don't know about other NBA teams, but I would suspect most of them produce their own games. It would be much more practical for them to do so.

I see your point but id be happy to lock the doors to the bee and their irrelevant readers, they aren't true homers and would be happy to fill the news with more warriors drivel which is why id be more then happy for them to cover that at 100%

AV is good for a laugh but long term her reporting is woeful, adding no value beyond humor. We have no need to keep it civil here, we gain nothing from them.

Last edited:
Its a conflict of interest.

He represents the kings and is paid by the kings, his side gig, radio persona - ripping guys on the roster and clearly playing favorites is deplorable. He needs to go.

How the kings management let him do that is completely beyond me. You expect your TV guys to be fans of the team, they are utmost representatives of the team. You cant off screen, off duty, rip into anyone and no other PBP announcer is allowed the rope that he gets.

Easily grounds for termination or at a minimum, rewriting the clauses in his contact around his behavior and representation of the kings.

I thought they used to call the games together back in the Richmond days?
Although I kept a close eye on their record back then, and also went to a few games as well, I was not a "die-hard" Kings fan at that time. I grew up, literally, in the Michael Jordan era, so I was a Bulls fan as a result. It was only AFTER MJ retired, and when we got Adelman, Webber, J-Will, Vlade, etc. that I became a die-hard Kings fan, or a Kings Fan 4 Life, however you wanna spin it ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Its a conflict of interest.

He represents the kings and is paid by the kings, his side gig, radio persona - ripping guys on the roster and clearly playing favorites is deplorable. He needs to go.

How the kings management let him do that is completely beyond me. You expect your TV guys to be fans of the team, they are utmost representatives of the team. You cant off screen, off duty, rip into anyone and no other PBP announcer is allowed the rope that he gets.

Easily grounds for termination or at a minimum, rewriting the clauses in his contact around his behavior and representation of the kings.
You're not saying anything I havent said over the years about Grant's conflict of interest. I'm not gonna continue because I have nothing new to add. ;)

Plus, this is about as far from the OP as you can get.