Bizarro Wide World of Sports Lin Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Resting gasol agaist mavericks! Ridiculous! This is why i said kings need to have experimental games when playing other tankets...start bruno and run offense through him...skal fox and wcs should use these games for 3pt shooting practice
Ya Skal and Fox should be hoisting 3s like they play for Houston and Bruno should get 25mpg. If we play this right we could be bottom 2 but we’re probably gonna win 2-3 more and end up out the top 5.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I can't see us losing to the Knicks tonight.

Dallas and the linner of the Hawks/Suns game gonna jump in the bizarro rankings!

Really annoyed to see Carter and Temple getting 20+ mins with Bruno hardly seeing the court. If we win in those circumstances then great, but we should NOT be running out all our solid Vet bench against other bottom dweller tanking teams. Shooting ourselves in the foot.

Sucks for the draft. We need to get a star in this draft more than any other year in our history, this is really critical. Miss in this draft and we are not competitive when the rookie contracts of Fox and our young guys are up for renewal, which makes it much more difficult to build a winner around them. Especially since none are likely to be superstars.

A lot of teams are tanking this year, one win could move us as much as 8 spots in the draft with the way things are going.

Where did you get these numbers?
totally unscientific personal belief!

Let's just say if we don't get a top 5 pick this year, and I had to bet every dollar I had to my name on if we would make the playoffs again before 2023, I would bet against it rather than for it. Whereas if we get a top five pick this year I would bet we make the playoffs before 2023.

Really annoyed to see Carter and Temple getting 20+ mins with Bruno hardly seeing the court. If we win in those circumstances then great, but we should NOT be running out all our solid Vet bench against other bottom dweller tanking teams. Shooting ourselves in the foot.
The Kings were -4 with Carter in the game, -9 with Temple in the game, and -2 with Cabolco in the game. I'm not sure playing Carter or Temple hindered the tank one bit, if that's what you're saying.

http://popcornmachine.net/bs?date=20180304&game=NYKSAC

What do you want them to do though... lose out? Because even as a frequent visitor of tankathon I don't want that personally. The lottery is going to do what it does and then from there are just many variables.

The problem with them tanking is that even after sitting all the vets, our "scrubs" are deeper than the scrubs on any other lottery team. Fox, Skal, Bogie and all the young guys are going to beat out the teams that are playing a lot of no name G League players that went undrafted.

Last edited:
The Kings were -4 with Carter in the game, -9 with Temple in the game, and -2 with Cabolco in the game. I'm not sure playing Carter or Temple hindered the tank one bit, if that's what you're saying.

http://popcornmachine.net/bs?date=20180304&game=NYKSAC
I'd bet over a larger span of mins for Bruno the +- would look a little different.

Im just very concered with where we will be picking if we beat all the other teams tanking harder. If there is some space in the standings, then sure, lets beat the other teams. I think it would be prudent to enginer a long losing streak now rather than be sitting at 8th in the standings, paniced with 10 games remaining. Yes we are resting a vet or 2 and playing with one hand behind our backs, but these other tank teams are playing with no hands or feet. Against these tankers if needed Vlade should rest Bogs and anyone else as needed to ensure we are handicapped enough to make the outcome of the game certain. Again, i only advocate this against other tanking teams. Wins against them dont mean the same as beating a playoff team that is actually trying to win with all it has.

The other option is for coach to use thise games for expermintation. Such as having WCS skal and Gox put up 5+ 3pts each

What do you want them to do though... lose out? .
Frankly yes! If that is what is needed because the rest of the tanking teams are losing then yes. Getting wins against the Orlandos, Nets, knicks, phx memohis Atl don't count for much. Beating garbage teams in the present isn't going to make me fill better when come draft night we are out of the top 5.

Ive already resigned myself to the kings probably picking between 6-9. It's just the kings way.........

Im 100% with ovrush on his thinking. If the kings blow this draft we'll be a lottery team for the next 5-7 years. Heck, I want to know what people who disagree with that are basing their thinking on? I have a lot of history supporting my opinion.

Its laughable how this second half is shaping up. The kings are gonna beat all the teams that will be competing against them in the draft, effectively torpedoing their future. HAHAHAHAHA! I just gotta laugh to keep from crying.
Do i want them to lose out? Your damn right I do! Im sick of being that really sh**** team that always sucks but is always picking outside the top 3-5. Of course a top pick doesn't guarantee anything but id rather pick high than continue the route we've been on for over a decade. Oh no! We might lose out in a season where we are going absolutely no where! OH NOZ! Hahaha! I could give a flip for a late season win over memphis, orlando, or phoenix. This is a talented draft and I want a top 3 pick. But, like my Ship Captain use to tell us, "Want in one hand, sh** in the other. See which one fills up quicker."

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Knicks are complete trash without Zinger and almost beat us at home. I wouldn't panic yet.

When the dust settles, we'll probably be around 4th worse in the league.

Ive already resigned myself to the kings probably picking between 6-9. It's just the kings way.........

Im 100% with onrush on his thinking. If the kings blow this draft we'll be a lottery team for the next 5-7 years. Heck, I want to know what people who disagree with that are basing their thinking on? I have a lot of history supporting my opinion.
I also agree with this though. We don't have a superstar on the squad. Just a bunch of kids who could lead us to the 11th-8th in the West if it all breaks right. Treadmillin'! Which is why we traded Cuz....

totally unscientific personal belief!

Let's just say if we don't get a top 5 pick this year, and I had to bet every dollar I had to my name on if we would make the playoffs again before 2023, I would bet against it rather than for it. Whereas if we get a top five pick this year I would bet we make the playoffs before 2023.
Man what, what happens if we pick at 7 and Bamba in 2-3 years is basically Gobert with a 3 point shot, Fox gets a consistent shot and becomes a 20ppg, and Bogdan becomes a 18-5 guy.

Or we take Carter and he becomes Al Holford. Our hopes don’t end if we’re outside the top 5 Carter, Young, and Bamba would be top 5 picks in most drafts but will be there 6-8 in this one.

I want to know what the tank crowd wants the Kings to do to lose? The young players were far and away the driving force behind the win last night. Other than Koufos the vets who did play both had a negative +/- so they aren't helping us win. Koufos played all of 26 minutes meaning we played without a center for nearly half the game. The two guys who shot the most also shot the worst so it's not like we just rode the hot hand. Did you want Skal to miss on purpose? Do you want Coach Joerger to ice the young guys? The difference in lasts night's win was the Kings 3pt and FT percentage. Maybe they should be coached to miss a few more of those?

Enes Kanter :

14pts on 7/10 shooting
16rbs (8off)
1ast
2stls

In 22 minutes, because he sat the entire 4th Q.
On a Knicks post game thread I read, it was the same as ours and most every other teams hoping for ping pong balls. That their coach is an idiot and is riding his vets trying to win every game. Fire the coach.

I see it in post game threads all the time. This stuff sucks for everyone who is a fan of the game.

Skal said his last game winner was back in High School and I could swear there were concerns about his confidence coming out of college.That game winner had to do a lot for him.Had we lost that game, after being up by 19+ and leading most of the game, would suck for those young players we are hoping to lead us somewhere.

I want a great pick too, everyone does. Sometimes you have to go with what you got and make it work. I think we will.

Last edited:
There is no doubt that draft this year is absolutely critical to this franchise going forward especially since there is no pick in 2019 draft and the Kings likely to be a lottery team again next year. King absolutely must draft a franchise level player.....an all-star type at the very least.

Having said that, it is also just as critical to develop the culture that the team is developing at the moment. I don't think you could possibly get mad for the wins against Nets and Knicks simply because it was the young guys that carried us to those wins. They stepped up big and delivered when it counted. That is important in developing the culture and the confidence of these young guys.

Take Skal for example, that game winning 3 should give him the world of confidence and self belief going forward. That can only be a good thing for the team and Skal himself.

Getting pick 5 does not really guarantee us a franchise player. It still takes skill and keen eye as well as a lot of development and willingness from the player to put in the hard yards to get there. With pick 5 you can still get Thomas Robinson type and overlook Dame Lillard type. However, if as a scouting team really do their homework then you can get a franchise level player even outside of the lottery. Sure the chances are much smaller but it is doable.

Ideally, the Kings keep playing hard, the youngsters keep coming up big in these games and delivering in big moments like they have been so far and winning an odd game here and there. Then come lottery, basketball gods smile upon us and get us a top 2 pick where we do have a chance to draft a franchise level talent (i.e. Ayton) and we move on from there.

Then next year if we keep playing youngsters, we are improving but still losing a lot of games, it hurts but nowhere near enough if we do bomb out on our pick all together.

The NBA should impose a penalty for tanking.

Every game should be reviewed to see if the team is putting their best foot forward in an attempt to have a legitimate, competitive game.

If a team is not putting forth an honest effort and sitting their best players every night, playing undrafted free agents the entire 4th quarter (cough, cough Dallas), missing end of games shots on purpose, then the NBA would impose a hefty lottery ping pong decrease penalty.

For example, for every blatant tank job game, remove 5 ping pong balls for that team lotto chances. If there are 10 blatant tank games, that team has 50 ping pong balls removed from their lotto chances.

Non-competitive games would go away very quickly.

Every game should be reviewed to see if the team is putting their best foot forward in an attempt to have a legitimate, competitive game.

If a team is not putting forth an honest effort and sitting their best players every night, playing undrafted free agents the entire 4th quarter (cough, cough Dallas), missing end of games shots on purpose, then the NBA would impose a hefty lottery ping pong decrease penalty.

For example, for every blatant tank job game, remove 5 ping pong balls for that team lotto chances. If there are 10 blatant tank games, that team has 50 ping pong balls removed from their lotto chances.

Problem is how do you prove it. Last Atlanta game they sat Schroeder the 4th in a close game in blatant yank job but ended up winning. But that was a complete tank job by the coach was sickening

Trouble with that is who is the judge? Earlier in the year, our"tank" job was labeled something along the lines learning. What criteria would you use? Even the best teams have off nights.

I like the thought of it but the implementation could open whole cans of worms.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Trouble with that is who is the judge? Earlier in the year, our"tank" job was labeled something along the lines learning. What criteria would you use? Even the best teams have off nights.

I like the thought of it but the implementation could open whole cans of worms.
I've mentioned this before, but in such a system, the judge should be other NBA front offices. It doesn't so much have to be about "punishing tanking" as it is about giving the best draft picks to the actual worst teams. Every team has in interest in not making any other team into a superteam. If you were to ask NBA front offices, "If you could assign the #1 pick to the Kings, the Knicks, or the Hawks, who would you give it to?" I'm sure most front offices would have an opinion, and they wouldn't be looking heavily at win-loss record to make that decision. And if win-loss record is not a factor, then there's no reason for a team to try to be uncompetitive in games. Which is the result we all seem to want.

There are 18 games left in the season. We still have play the tanking teams of Orlando, Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, and Memphis. We also have winnable games vs the Nuggets, Thunder, Heat, Jazz, Pistons, Pacers, Spurs, and Lakers. sigh. in bolded are non-playoff teams or fringe playoff teams. The only "difficult" teams we'll be facing are the Celtics, Warriors, Spurs, and Rockets. The Rockets game is the final regular season game at G1C, and I would not be surprised to see Houston rest their starters.

5 teams are tanking
3 teams who are not in the playoff race

that's enough to go 8-10.... just from beating Orlando, Atlanta, Mavs, Suns, Grizzlies, Heat, Pistons, and Lakers. It would put us at 28wins to finish up the season which would be the most classic "KANGZ" move ever.

please.... no more playing vets. At this point, there is no reason why Temple, Carter, Randolph, or anyone else should be playing minutes. It's funny to see some Kings fans on this board act like the Kings are too good for tanking. I GOT NEWS FOR YOU. WE TANKED LAST YEAR. Yes we freaking did. We tanked immediately after trading Cousins so we would hang onto our draft pick which was only top 10 protected. If you want even more proof...PAPAGIANNIS ACTUALLY PLAYED NBA GAMES. So no, tanking is not beyond this incompetent organization.

I've mentioned this before, but in such a system, the judge should be other NBA front offices. It doesn't so much have to be about "punishing tanking" as it is about giving the best draft picks to the actual worst teams. Every team has in interest in not making any other team into a superteam. If you were to ask NBA front offices, "If you could assign the #1 pick to the Kings, the Knicks, or the Hawks, who would you give it to?" I'm sure most front offices would have an opinion, and they wouldn't be looking heavily at win-loss record to make that decision. And if win-loss record is not a factor, then there's no reason for a team to try to be uncompetitive in games. Which is the result we all seem to want.
Do you trust politicians? I don't even trust the ones on "my" side of the aisle. To top it off, office politics suck. And essentially that is what it would become, political.

Sorry about being cynical tonight.

I guess if we were to base it on overall NBA roster talent, it would probably go: Atlanta, Dallas, Brooklyn, Kings, Chicago, Orlando, then Phoenix?

Status
Not open for further replies.