There is no topic

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Earlier today, someone posted a link to a YouTube video explaining, in detail, the dynamics of a "secret" of a Super Mario Bros. speed run, in the Twitter timeline of someone I follow. The climactic 'reveal' was hyped as a WYSIYSB moment, but I found it to be utterly disappointing; a let-down on every conceivable level. But, I unexpectedly found myself down the YouTube rabbit hole of watching other speed run videos and I now find myself compelled by honor to confess my three-decade secret shame as a self-proclaimed "gamer":

I never did figure out how to play Kid Icarus. I must have rented that game a half a dozen times, but the video rental store in town had lost the instructions, and I could never figure out which direction I was supposed to go in. I would eventually rage-quit, every time, after it seemed like I was going in circles for hours.

Just finished watching a speed run video on Kid Icarus, and it seems so obvious watching it now, that I want to go back in time and smash my NES over thirteen year-old me's head.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Long time Sacramentans may remember my dad's restaurant as a popular stop along I-5 en route to Arco Arena. For whatever reason I'm not totally sure if this is the Richards Blvd. or Davis location. I have been combing through old photos and slides for his celebration event this weekend (and thank god I actually have a slide scanner) and came up on this today. Anyhow thought it was cool for the old folks. The last one (Freeport) closed in 1992 and we were living in the back office for a stretch right before I graduated high school.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Well, if I have no other choice than to walk right past them, I do give them a polite "No, thank you", or I'll just lie and tell them that I've recently purchased Girl Scout cookies...
I mean, if you're going to lie, you might as well tell them you have a gluten allergy, or something. I much prefer the no-sell method, but I'm also intensely anti-social, so I'm totally good with ignoring the people around me.

I mean, if you're going to lie, you might as well tell them you have a gluten allergy, or something. I much prefer the no-sell method, but I'm also intensely anti-social, so I'm totally good with ignoring the people around me.
I tried doing that one day. I got my butt chewed out by a mom because she thought I was being a jerk to her daughter. (Keep in mind that the daughter had approached me multiple times during the same trip asking me, politely, to purchase some cookies. I, politely, answered "No, thank you" each time. So, when she asked, politely, one last time, I thought I'd provide a reasonable explanation)...

After that day/incident, I just decided to go down either the "No, thank you" or "I've recently purchased some cookies" road for the rest of my life...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I tried doing that one day. I got my butt chewed out by a mom because she thought I was being a jerk to her daughter. (Keep in mind that the daughter had approached me multiple times during the same trip asking me, politely, to purchase some cookies. I, politely, answered "No, thank you" each time. So, when she asked, politely, one last time, I thought I'd provide a reasonable explanation)...

After that day/incident, I just decided to go down either the "No, thank you" or "I've recently purchased some cookies" road for the rest of my life...
"Oh, I'm sorry. My niece is a Girl Scout and I kinda have to buy from her. Thanks anyway."

"Oh, I'm sorry. My niece is a Girl Scout and I kinda have to buy from her. Thanks anyway."
That was, kind of, what my explanation was to the daughter (which the mother overheard, by the way).....Only difference was that I had purchased cookies from one of my co-worker's youngest daughter (at that time) about a week prior to that incident. The mother, for whatever reason, didn't want any of it...

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That was, kind of, what my explanation was to the daughter (which the mother overheard, by the way).....Only difference was that I had purchased cookies from one of my co-worker's youngest daughter (at that time) about a week prior to that incident. The mother, for whatever reason, didn't want any of it...
That's why you use the close relative gambit. I don't use daughter because then a clever helicopter mom would ask you what troop she's in. Niece is just far enough removed that you wouldn't necessarily know that detail.

That's why you use the close relative gambit. I don't use daughter because then a clever helicopter mom would ask you what troop she's in. Niece is just far enough removed that you wouldn't necessarily know that detail.
But she was not my daughter...She was a co-worker's. I wouldn't have known that detail as a result...

BTW...I am in no way, shape, or form trying to hate on the Girl Scouts. I actually do enjoy some of their cookies, and I've had many in my life (and will continue to do so when I develop the craving)......Thin Mints and Samoas (Caramel deLites) are the best!!!! I just don't necessarily enjoy getting hounded all the time by them (and more than just once during a single trip)...

No offense, but the Mom needs to just shut up. If you don't want to buy their cookies then they should move on to the next customer. Try to pressure me into a sell and I'll ask where the competition is so I can buy from them.