Front office ... the discussion

How do you view the front office so far?

• Total voters

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm starting a new thread that isn't slanted by the title. People are going to continue to discuss their feelings about the new front office, what's been done, what hasn't been done, etc. so we might as well bow to the inevitable and just hope both sides can be mindful that there are two sides - at least - to every opinion.

Can we at least try to keep it civil? I'll even say pretty please... ;)

And I've added a poll. I'm interested in seeing what a lot of the people who haven't posted are thinking...

Last edited:
At this point I believe we cant do any worse.
No one knows the facts of rebuilding a team.
I personally feel we are a better team having Vasquez.
Having monta (if) is like having an upgraded thornton.
Landry has always been talented. Not every player is lebron james.
I appreciate the leap our front office is taking.
In most cases one needs to take a big risk for the chance at reward.
I like to think that the fo has thought of every free agent and trade and just because we think of scenarios on this forum doeant mean it works in the nba.
I personally am willing to give the entire year to our new personell
I honestly guarantee more wins this coming season.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I expect so too, but not because of a damn thing the front office has done. Except if you want to count Vivek hiring Malone.

Malone and Cousins right now stand as the reasons for hope. We will have to see on the rookie, but he's just that, a rookie. Somehow I doubt he's talented enough to put up 20-5-5 in his first year, so our success or failure should not be laid at his feet.

I was going to stay quiet on all this, but honestly, the fact they are even considering Monta Ellis.. at that price.. is insane...
I didn't vote yet... may revisit this in a week.

Ryan

I like turtles
It feels like they are making moves because they are in new positions and they think if they don't make moves they'll get fired.

Reminds me of when a producer gives me notes on editing. There might not be anything to change at the time, but damnit, it's their job to comment so by golly they'll do it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was going to stay quiet on all this, but honestly, the fact they are even considering Monta Ellis.. at that price.. is insane...
I didn't vote yet... may revisit this in a week.
According to Amick:

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 45m

Hasn't been as loud on my end as others “@SactownKings916: Hey @sam_amick has the Monta to Sac died down finally??”

Sounds like Sam didn't buy into the hype as much as Marc Stein and some others. Thus far, Amick has the best track record on getting the goods so I'm gonna hope he's right this time, too. :)

At the moment? Unfavorable and what they are doing/ reported to be doing makes no sense to me. Those that criticize skeptics for their skepticism before a game has been played should also advocate not rejoicing if LeBron James were to come to our team. Works both ways. We as fans have our analysis and opinions, and we have every right to express our opinion on the direction that our team appears to be taking. So back to topic at hand, I'm not happy with FO right now. More moves will probably come and with each move my impression will change. It will change again after 5 first games of season and probably be more concrete at the end of the season.

I voted horrible.

Until I see Vasquez play and he blows my mind, I will not get over letting Reke walk. Reke had superstar potential; he could drive, dish, defend, rebound, had the clutch gene, etc. I'm sure Vasquez has some of these qualities, but I don't believe he has the potential of Reke.

Oh, and Landry signing is straight garbage and if Monta happens, throw the FO under a bus.

According to Amick:

Sam Amick ‏@sam_amick 45m

Hasn't been as loud on my end as others “@SactownKings916: Hey @sam_amick has the Monta to Sac died down finally??”

Sounds like Sam didn't buy into the hype as much as Marc Stein and some others. Thus far, Amick has the best track record on getting the goods so I'm gonna hope he's right this time, too. :)
I truly hope so!

I like to think that the fo has thought of every free agent and trade and just because we think of scenarios on this forum doeant mean it works in the nba.
I don't think fans complaining about the transactions and alleged transactions (Monte) believe that our team is getting worse record wise. Obviously, PDA has added more talent. However, the concern is the talent gain is not going to catapult us into a top tier team. If anything we will be the team fighting for the 7 and 8 spots in the lineup. And one could argue obtaining a legit SF (AK) and a few other small transactions to complete the team would have sufficed this off season. You can let BenMc gain valuable experience and PT. Be in a solid position to draft another future star (top 5 pick next year); and still have cap flexibility to make a key FA signing.

assuming there is some fire to this Monta smoke...even a spark. i got no praise. unless 'hey, at least they didn't trade cousins for a second round pick' counts as praise.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Last year's team under performed, replace Smart with a marginally competent coach and you add at least 10-15 wins no no other change. Let the young player's mature and you get another 10-15 wins. The changes that have been made so far will NOT result in 20-30 more wins so I call it at least one step back.

Bricklayer

Until I see Vasquez play and he blows my mind,
He won't

He's not an aesthetically pleasing player. Kind of finds ways to get things done, but he's slow of foot and a little awkward, so he rarely can clearly separate himself and mostly just uses his height to see over people for passes or shoot over them on contested shots.

How about just neutral? I am totally wait and see right now. I'm not going to judge on rumors and incomplete moves either way. Sad about Evans but understand that their are financial components at play as well the desire to rebuild and remold inside one vision.

Bricklayer

How about just neutral? I am totally wait and see right now. I'm not going to judge on rumors and incomplete moves either way. Sad about Evans but understand that their are financial components at play as well the desire to rebuild and remold inside one vision.
the alleged financial components are almost completely belied by the attempt to throw even bigger money first at Iggy, and now allegedly at Ellis.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
It's leaning negative for me right now. The solitary decision to not bring back Tyreke for $44M I strongly disagree with, but it's one move of potentially many. I'm also not happy about the apparent disregard for defense. It makes me nervous about what might be coming next. If the Ellis signing does happen though it's definitely unfavorable. I don't think I would go all the way to horrible unless Cousins is gone in a year as well.

I always viewed Tyreke as hope for our franchise, especially after his magical ROY season. I'm not sure if his slow development as an NBA player was due to our team's culture, coaching, system or what not. But I never lost hope that he would become something special. It pained me even more to see Tyreke practically plead to stay in Sacramento. What player has ever done that? He genuinely enjoyed our town. He's 23 and wanted to get the maximum dollar, which PDA balked at. This transaction I'm torn with. I loved Tyreke and his potential. But I have read several unbiased blogs, fan post, and the consensus was that Tyreke was overpaid by the Pelicans. It was a risk/reward they felt was worth the money. If Tyreke explodes and becomes the player most of us expected. They win. We lose. I can see how Vasquez makes us a more complete offensive team. I'm skeptical, but hopeful.

Carl Landry? Gah! I'm confused. I did not like him in his first stint here. A true black hole. I know he's a solid bench player, and from what I hear a good locker room guy. I can live with this, but not love, if we can some how dump Hayes....and maybe JT or PPAT. Hayes first and foremost.

Monte? I hope and pray he does not get signed. Correction--I wouldnt mind ME on a 6th man-type contract. No more than 3 years/21m. I could live with ME at 3 years/30m if it also included trading Hayes and MT23. But there is no way that is happening. I would have rather had Tyreke at 4/44 and traded for Vasquez to be our PG.

I'll still allow for this process to take place. I won't call for PDA's job just yet. I'm not happy with the direction of this team. I won't be happy if we become a fringe playoff team. In all honesty, our future relies heavily on DMC's growth as a player. A lot of it will come down to that. I just hope PDA allows flexibility in the future to add prominent and fitting pieces around him.

I voted "Leaning Negative"...

I've been mostly idle from these discussions since day 1 of the Landry signing but I will say this... If we take the money that we saved from not matching Reke and sign BOTH Landry and Monta, My vote will very hastily change to "Horrible."

Well, every player in basketball looks good when you put it that way.

When you give away a potential superstar for a role player plus cap space (and you use that cap space to sign a couple more redundant pieces), you have to be leaning towards negative, at least. And that's where I am. Liuke many others, I don't like most of what the FO has done but I will wait and see the final product that is displayed on opening night before I make final judgments on the squad - barring a bizarre/brilliant move made by PDA, with the former seemingly more likely to happen at the moment.

I was about to say leaning to unfavorable, but chose favorable because I am happy stuff is getting done.

I know more will be done, so ask when the season starts.

He won't

He's not an aesthetically pleasing player. Kind of finds ways to get things done, but he's slow of foot and a little awkward, so he rarely can clearly separate himself and mostly just uses his height to see over people for passes or shoot over them on contested shots.

On a more peaceful note, I am a huge fan of the first quote in your sig :)

gunks

Hall of Famer
I voted horrible. I know you have to give it time, but up until THIS point...EVERY DECISION HAS BEEN AWFUL (sans McLemore).

Botched the Iggy offer.
Ditched Tyreke for a system player.
Signed Landry (the MT of PFs).
Now pursuing Monta.
No needs have been addressed....Well, besides passing. But we are still hurting on D and the SF position.

the alleged financial components are almost completely belied by the attempt to throw even bigger money first at Iggy, and now allegedly at Ellis.
I don't believe the Ellis rumors until they happen. That would sway me towards unfavorable. We still don't know if getting Iggy was part of a plan that included Reke since they appear to compliment each other. Listen, I think we should have found a way to keep him but I can understand the hesitancy if they don't think he is a good piece for their goals. It may have been a lot different if more teams were offering a pay day because then they could afford to sign and know he'd be easy to move if it continued to fail.

Point is, I want to see WHAT they actually do before I flip out. I'm also willing to endure one more year of cleaning house if next year's draft really is what everyone thinks it is.

Last edited:
When you give away a potential superstar for a role player plus cap space (and you use that cap space to sign a couple more redundant pieces), you have to be leaning towards negative, at least. And that's where I am. Liuke many others, I don't like most of what the FO has done but I will wait and see the final product that is displayed on opening night before I make final judgments on the squad - barring a bizarre/brilliant move made by PDA, with the former seemingly more likely to happen at the moment.
You said many right things but I can't understand who is that "potential superstar"? Tyreke? I like him as a player and person. Classy dude. Will root for him anyway. But he is not a superstar and will never be a superstar. He might be a 2-tier star player someday. Remember, only 1 team in NBA actually offered him a serious contract and people in NBA are not that stupid. James Harden is a potential superstar.

leaning favorable (surprise lol). I'm glad to see that they are not trying to nibble at the edges and incrementally upgrade the supposed "core" of DMC and Evans. I don't believe those two guys got along, and I don't believe that they were going to form the core of a perennial contender.

rather, they are burning it down. getting what look like redundant pieces so they can scuttle the old pieces. Get Landry and Monta - ditch Hayes and Jimmer. works great for me.

kinda too bad about losing Tyreke but if you combine the lack of synergy with DMC with the declining output I just don't mind so much.

If we go into next year with Greivis, Monta, Metta, Cousins, Asik as our starting 5 I'll be really happy. One and only one leftover from last year. If Hayes and Jimmer and JT are gone.. fine. If IT is gone, oh well - I'm surprised there is so much love for him and yet the expression "undersized chukker" is one of the most popular disses on this site.

Wish I could have my vote back and upgrade it to a solid favorable but since I'm pleading for patience from the detractors I ought to practice it myself I guess.

So far i put unfavorable. I don't like what they've done so far but if it leads to a good sf and/or defensive big I reserve the right to change my vote to favorable. If we end up with a lineup of GV/bmc/ak47/dmc/dalembert or something similar, I'd be more than happy to take back all the criticism.

I don't believe the Ellis rumors until they happen. That would sway me towards unfavorable. We still don't know if getting Iggy was part of a plan that included Reke since they appear to compliment each other. Listen, I think we should have found a way to keep him but I can understand the hesitancy if they don't think he is a good piece for their goals. It may have been a lot different if more teams were offering a pay day because then they could afford to sign and know he'd be easy to move if it continued to fail.

Point is, I want to see WHAT they actually do before I flip out. I'm also willing to endure one more year of cleaning house if next year's draft really is what everyone thinks it is.
depends on what "their goals" are. it'd be one thing if tyreke evans, a solid man defender with considerable potential on the more important side of the ball, was bounced in favor of andre iguodala, or another established veteran defensive talent. after all, when the tandem of vivek ranadive and mike malone arrived together in sacramento, the mantra was defense, defense, defense. however, since pete d'allesandro joined the fray, that mantra appears to be completely upended. i don't give two ****s what "their goals" are if they haven't the slightest inclination of committing to the notion of defensive personnel. the front office has the remainder of the offseason to prove that they care about the more important side of the ball. until then, i vote: "UNFAVORABLE. They're doing things that make no sense."

Last edited: