Kings pull offer to Iguodala (split)

Status
Not open for further replies.
welp, in an effort to get some sleep last night, i missed out on all the madness. that said, while i'm disappointed that iggy won't be coming to the kings, i'm hoping it means that ranadive and PDA will now very intentionally approach the notion of matching NO's offer to 'reke...

truth be told, i like 23-year-old, yet-to-hit-his-prime tyreke evans at (who, by all accounts, still wants to re-sign with the kings) at 4/$44 million a great deal more than 31-year-old, just-a-step-past-his-prime andre iguodala (who, by all accounts, wasn't sure if he wanted to sign with the kings) at 4/$52 million. to me, that's a no-brainer of the highest order. the new regime may have thought differently, and they may very well be interested in making a change for change's sake (if only to prove that they're serious about implementing a new kind of culture in sacramento), but, if it ultimately results in tyreke evans re-signing with the kings, i will be happy that andre iguodala wasn't sold enough on sac to give ranadive and PDA an immediate answer...

i roll with an evans/mclemore backcourt, and make a push for either andre kirilenko or matt barnes via free agency. a trio like that would definitely represent the emphasis on defensive improvement that ranadive and malone have been claiming as priority number one. throw demarcus cousins on top of that mix, and it's a team that can win games...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
That is not true. You only match the numbers. The years can be different than the offer sheet. He could still get the 7.5% raises too.

Once again, people need to read cbafaq.com before they start posting stuff they have no clue about.
Yes, people should read it but that takes effort. When you have a couple people who know the CBA inside and out, why not rely on those people for information. No one can know everything and it is clear that different posters specialize. Perhaps bajaden, for example, should require that you watch all the college games to be up on future draft choices. A few few years ago I knew it backwards and forwards but I haven't gone back to get updated on the recent changes as having a good idea of the different concepts is enough for me. There ARE a few concepts people should know or all these posts will sound like Greek.

Maybe someone should distill capology and crate a "Capology for Dummys" section. Salary cap vs luxury cap. Difference between what actions a team can make if they are under the cap vs if over the cap. Advantages that the team that "owns" the player has. How a salary is spread out over 4 years. ALLLLL the exceptions and how they would differ from year to year. What the MLE is and why are there a few that are different and why it doesn't apply every year.

Why have everybody do which I trust is incomprehensible when we have you? :) I know I got ticked yesterday when I was trying to make Iggy's deal work with the signing of Tyreke and no one even commented. I don't know if it was a general disinterest or a lack of math skills. The salary cap is confusing and it DOES require a knowledge of the entire document to make sense. Thank you.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Everything going on so far says they don't think of Evans at the PG otherwise there would be a contract offer. This could be a situation just like Evans rookie year. If they resign him it could come down to McLemore and how he's playing at the trade deadline. The better he plays the greater the chance Evans would be traded a la Martin. The only issue could be if Evans does sign and we match he can't be traded to NO for a year.
If the Kings finally decide to match the NO offer with the intention of trading him by the mid-season trade deadline, I'd understand it, but then you'd have that cloud hanging over the team until mid-season. That situation isn't the best.

Everything going on so far says they don't think of Evans at the PG otherwise there would be a contract offer. This could be a situation just like Evans rookie year. If they resign him it could come down to McLemore and how he's playing at the trade deadline. The better he plays the greater the chance Evans would be traded a la Martin. The only issue could be if Evans does sign and we match he can't be traded to NO for a year.
I don't know why you would assume that the lack of an offer for Tyreke indicates that they don't think he's a PG.

I might get it if we were involved in all sorts of rumors to pick up a high-tier PG...but that isn't the case at all. Calderon is the only PG that has been mentioned and it's not as if he's a high tier FA.

I think that they do plan on playing Tyreke at the PG and after having that conversation with him the other night in LA they feel comfortable with where they are at in the process. They probably believe that he's on board with them swinging for the fences for a big FA pick-up so long as they can manage to keep enough space to offer him around the 11m/year that NO is offering.

It could also be that they don't really believe that NO is willing to officially pull the trigger and offer him that 11m/year that was initially offered. There isn't anything preventing NO to pull that deal...just like we did with AI...and if that ends up happening...perhaps we can sign Tyreke to a 10m or 10.5m/year contract instead.

It just looks as if they feel they are in the driver's seat when it comes to Tyreke Evans. They want him...he wants to be there...so unless some other team comes in offering the max...they probably keep him on board. So at the moment they are looking to be as aggressive as possible to bring in additional pieces that will fit with a Tyreke/B-Mac/Cousins core.

The issue is...this is their first time out...so hopefully they won't end up making a critical error and have things fall apart on them.

We'll see...

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
LOL at using twitter as a time source for when something happened.
That was all we had to go on. It's also where this came from, per SI, linked on twitter.

Within the span of a few hours, the Kings made and then quickly withdrew a four-year, $50+ million offer to unrestricted free agent guard/forward Andre Iguodala, according to multiple reports.
Combined with tweets saying Kings had just offered the contract early in the evening.

Now, unless you're just wanting be an *** (you sound like a child, per usual) I'm sure you'll post your evidence suggesting otherwise which came out last evening, prior to my post of course.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Ehhh... I think this would eliminate Evans at PG. I don't think the FO wants Evans as the only ball handler on the team. I cannot think of any other SF distributor that can match Iggy's ball handling in the FA market. It's pretty obvious up until now though that they want more ball handling.
That essentially means we let Tyreke walk or he plays SF. Do think that's what is going to happen? As Tyreke has a history of being a PG, hasn't played it in three years , and actually may have the capacity to learn, I wouldn't slam the door shut so decisively.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Perhaps Iggy thought that poor old Sacramento would wait forever and kiss his *** while what the FO was looking for was a player who clearly wanted to be here and not simply to collect a check.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't know why you would assume that the lack of an offer for Tyreke indicates that they don't think he's a PG.

I might get it if we were involved in all sorts of rumors to pick up a high-tier PG...but that isn't the case at all. Calderon is the only PG that has been mentioned and it's not as if he's a high tier FA.

I think that they do plan on playing Tyreke at the PG and after having that conversation with him the other night in LA they feel comfortable with where they are at in the process. They probably believe that he's on board with them swinging for the fences for a big FA pick-up so long as they can manage to keep enough space to offer him around the 11m/year that NO is offering.

It could also be that they don't really believe that NO is willing to officially pull the trigger and offer him that 11m/year that was initially offered. There isn't anything preventing NO to pull that deal...just like we did with AI...and if that ends up happening...perhaps we can sign Tyreke to a 10m or 10.5m/year contract instead.
It just looks as if they feel they are in the driver's seat when it comes to Tyreke Evans. They want him...he wants to be there...so unless some other team comes in offering the max...they probably keep him on board. So at the moment they are looking to be as aggressive as possible to bring in additional pieces that will fit with a Tyreke/B-Mac/Cousins core.

The issue is...this is their first time out...so hopefully they won't end up making a critical error and have things fall apart on them.

We'll see...
That does make some sense. Maybe NO thought the Kings would help them out with and sign and trade deal for a guy they wanted to get off their books. The NO offer continues to reek (no pun intended) of an outlier over-the-market offer.

Perhaps Iggy thought that poor old Sacramento would wait forever and kiss his *** while what the FO was looking for was a player who clearly wanted to be here and not simply to collect a check.
Looks more like Iguodala never wanted to play in Sac in the first place. Was just using Sac as leverage against Nuggets to get a better deal.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Looks more like Iguodala never wanted to play in Sac in the first place. Was just using Sac as leverage against Nuggets to get a better deal.
or that. Yes. Although I then don't understand what his last tweet meant. Perhaps he thought we would happily keep the offer open until July 10 so he could **** us at the last moment. Now he simply has to market himself as a 29 yo SF with a very good past.

It would have been wonderful if Iggy had really wanted to be a King but then that would have been unique for FAs. We still have an ugly history to deal with. I applaud Vivek for insisting that a player must truly want to be here because they like the Kings. This is obviously part of the new culture. I don't care what people might assume about our FO (indecisive, foolish) if what I just stated is true. Vivek is marketing the Kings as a place a person would like to be.

Novel, eh?

Last edited:
Good. I like the way this went down... courting both Iggy and Calderon shows Vivek will pursue big name, expensive free agents. Signing them is a different story but at least we're in the hunt now. Didn't really want Iggy as I feel it's a him or Reke type of thing but I'm glad we went after him anyways. Loving Vivek!!!!!

it's more likely somewhere between. every major free agent has a right to test the market, to see what they're worth, to listen to other teams' strategies, to discover if there's a better fit out there for them. i have no issue whatsoever with andre iguodala meeting with sacramento, appreciating ranadive's, d'allesandro's, and malone's vision, but being torn between remaining with the nuggets, a team he loves playing for (but one that also fired a coach he loves playing for), and moving on to sacramento, where he would have an opportunity to shine as a veteran helping to stabilize a rebuilding environment. why should he give an immediate "yes!!"? there's a week left until contracts can be signed, and it's a big decision to make. if ranadive and PDA are looking for unwavering commitment, well, then they're better off re-signing tyreke evans, who has maintained throughout this entire process that his preference is to remain in sacramento...

Kingster

Hall of Famer
That essentially means we let Tyreke walk or he plays SF. Do think that's what is going to happen? As Tyreke has a history of being a PG, hasn't played it in three years , and actually may have the capacity to learn, I wouldn't slam the door shut so decisively.
Or they sign and trade, or they match and then trade down the line, or they match and get above average facilitator at the 3 to pair up with him. There are a variety of scenarios.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
it's more likely somewhere between. every major free agent has a right to test the market, to see what they're worth, to listen to other teams' strategies, to discover if there's a better fit out there for them. i have no issue whatsoever with andre iguodala meeting with sacramento, appreciating ranadive's, d'allesandro's, and malone's vision, but being torn between remaining with the nuggets, a team he loves playing for (but one that also fired a coach he loves playing for), and moving on to sacramento, where he would have an opportunity to shine as a veteran helping to stabilize a rebuilding environment. why should he give an immediate "yes!!"? there's a week left until contracts can be signed, and it's a big decision to make. if ranadive and PDA are looking for unwavering commitment, well, then they're better off re-signing tyreke evans, who has maintained throughout this entire process that his preference is to remain in sacramento...
I agree. Kings withdrew their offer so there is nothing more for Iggy to wait for from the Kings.

I know some might not agree, but I really like the way Vivek and Co. handled this. They mean business and want hungry players who want to be here, if you don't fit that mold........peace out! Iguodala should've jumped at that deal, his loss.

If the Nuggets really do have a big contract on the table for Iggy, such as the 5/62 I've heard potentially exists, than I don't believe there really is an issue of where he'll end up. I've heard these numbers on a few different message boards. If the Nugs have near equivalent numbers on the table I can't see him going anywhere.

Is it possible?...................that Kings backed out because Denver would like to do a sign-n-trade for Igoudala? That way Denver will not lose him for nothing. Kings would do this because they can probably include Thornton and Jimmers contract and picks?

Possible?

Is it possible?...................that Kings backed out because Denver would like to do a sign-n-trade for Igoudala? That way Denver will not lose him for nothing. Kings would do this because they can probably include Thornton and Jimmers contract and picks?

Possible?
Possible? Sure.

Probable? Not at all.

If that were the case the Kings would NOT have pulled their offer for Iguodala. They would have simply had him agree to it in principle and THEN talk to Denver about a possible sign-and-trade if both parties were so inclined to do one.

By pulling the offer for Iguodala the Kings no longer have any leverage to make a deal. Denver is not in immediate danger of losing him and will go back to attempting to re-sign him and then only consider a S&T if another team gets AI to agree in principle to their offer.

Most importantly, Iguodala seemed surprised/upset by the Kings pulling their offer. If D'Allesandro were really working on a trade to land him I think that would have been communicated to Iguodala prior to pulling the offer off the table. After all, Iguodala would have to be amenable to the sign-and-trade deal for it to go through.

Givin iggys suprise that we pulled the offer leads me to think that he was not aware of any "timeframe" to sign the deal or verbally make an agreement. It also leads me to believe he knows nothing about a sign and trade in the works. One woukd think we wouldnt wsnt to pee him off right beore we make a trade for him. Therefore the only thing i can think of is that his agent was using us and we found out and pulled the plug quickly. Great job by pete and co!!! Definitly sends a strong message we will not be screwed around with by agents or anyone else for that matter. Now lets sign ak47!!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Givin iggys suprise that we pulled the offer leads me to think that he was not aware of any "timeframe" to sign the deal or verbally make an agreement. It also leads me to believe he knows nothing about a sign and trade in the works. One woukd think we wouldnt wsnt to pee him off right beore we make a trade for him. Therefore the only thing i can think of is that his agent was using us and we found out and pulled the plug quickly. Great job by pete and co!!! Definitly sends a strong message we will not be screwed around with by agents or anyone else for that matter. Now lets sign ak47!!!
Just because Iggy acted surprised on Twitter doesn't mean he didn't know what was going on.

I know some might not agree, but I really like the way Vivek and Co. handled this. They mean business and want hungry players who want to be here, if you don't fit that mold........peace out! Iguodala should've jumped at that deal, his loss.
I agree.. when has a July 1st ever been so active for Kings fans? Vivek and Company mean business and we should applaud them for at least trying to make the team better.

I never agree with these guys who claim the want to win and by choosing a forever stuck in the middle type of teams like the Nuggets instead of taking more money from a "rebuilding/up-start" type of team like the Kings that actually may have a real chance of contending for a title in a few years.

Ok Iggy, you supposedly want to win so bad that you were stalling over coming to the Kings for significantly more money.

Yet, what does staying with the Nuggets accomplish in terms of winning a championship? If they don't show too much drop off, the Nuggets may finish as a 4th or 5th seed next year and lose in the 1st round.

If you don't win the championship or at least go deep into the playoffs, whats the point?

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
To be fair, isn't that basically what every front office has always done before? There's sortof an unspoken precedent for the way things happen in free agency. If you really want someone badly enough, you kiss up to them and make them feel important. If their intention with this move was to set a new precedent, I guess that's not a bad thing but it's not just Igoudala who was surprised by it, it was everyone. It remains to be see if this is actually their long-term strategy (offer sheets with very short expiration dates) and if so, whether it's going to be a successful one or not.

I'm really not understanding this perspective. It's fairly normal practice to give an offer and then wait for a response. Guys frequently take time to agree, yes often so they can see what else is out there. I don't get how we showed iggy and other free agents something impressive by publicly doing the offer/yank thing in at most 24 hours. And we did it with the highest profile free agent to ever consider us.

People are saying it shows we mean business. In what way? That if you negotiate with sac, you better accept our offers immediately. Explain how that encourages agents to want to work with us in the future when we are already one if the least desirable franchises in the league.

One final point, if the maloofs had pulled this manuever there wouldn't be a person on this board defending them as geniuses.

I'm really not understanding this perspective. It's fairly normal practice to give an offer and then wait for a response. Guys frequently take time to agree, yes often so they can see what else is out there. I don't get how we showed iggy and other free agents something impressive by publicly doing the offer/yank thing in at most 24 hours. And we did it with the highest profile free agent to ever consider us.

People are saying it shows we mean business. In what way? That if you negotiate with sac, you better accept our offers immediately. Explain how that encourages agents to want to work with us in the future when we are already one if the least desirable franchises in the league.

One final point, if the maloofs had pulled this manuever there wouldn't be a person on this board defending them as geniuses.

Im not understanding where you read that i said we pulled the offer because we did not want to "wait"..Its normal to give an offer and wait for a response i agree. You should read my reply again man you are way off what i was saying. I said that i think we pulled the offer because iggys agent was using us to get him a better offer probably from denver or another team and that we are sending a message that we will not be used in that way. I never said that if you negotiate with sac you better accept our offers immediatly, actually i said the opposite. I said that i doubt we told iggy he needed to sign fast or else we pull the offer. Get your facts straight before you quote me bro...

Just because Iggy acted surprised on Twitter doesn't mean he didn't know what was going on.
Do you really think that iggy would get on twitter and purposly act suprised? That logic doesnt make any sense. If he knew anything about there being a timeframe and he exceeded the timeframe without signing then he would not of been suprised or like your saying that he's lying on twitter and playing the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.