Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Gorgei Dieng
Position:
C
Hgt: 6'11"
Wgt: 230
Projected Draft Number: #18 NBADraft.net/#20 Draftexpress.com
College: Louisville
College Stats 2012-13: 31.1min 9.8pts (.534FG% .000TPt% .652FT%) 9.4reb 2.0ast 1.3stl 2.5blk 1.8TO

Capt's Review: Dieng is a classic bang-em-down-low center, though he's a little bit smaller than ideal (1/4 inch taller than Cousins but two inches short on both wingspan and standing reach). Dieng is not a skilled offensive player, with no jump shot, poor free throw shooting, and no handle, though he did bring his assists up to a respectable 2.6 per-40 this year and he has no problem powering up through traffic for a dunk if he gets the ball down low. Fortunately Dieng is a player who appears to understand his limitations and tends to stick with what he is able to do. Where Dieng stands out is on the boards and defensively. As a rebounder he doesn't hesitate to bang and box, and he has pretty nice hands. Defensively he has great timing as a shotblocker, though he doesn't always seem comfortable on the hedge or moving out to the perimeter to guard players, which might limit his ability to swing to the PF in the NBA if he can't overcome it. The nice thing about Dieng is that because he's 23 he's more mature both physically and mentally and should be able to step in now and play rotation minutes, but that also suggests that he's a lot closer to his ceiling than if he were 19.

Mass's Review: If Gorgui Dieng wasn't 23 years old odds are he'd be projected to go much higher in this years draft. Dieng has very good defensive potential because he is a shot blocker who isn't JUST a shot blocker. He can do it all defensively, and projects as a perfect pairing on a team with another scoring big. He appears to have the ability to play center or power forward, but could struggle against some of the bigger, stronger centers in the NBA. He is competent offensively, and is starting to develop a solid jumper, but that isn't why a team would draft him. His high FG% and low FGA tells me that he knows his limitations on that end. This years free agent pool lacks solid defensive big men, which should help Dieng find minutes as a valuable defensive player in his rookie season. Dieng is relatively NBA ready, and would be a top target of mine if the Kings were to trade down in the draft this year.

Baja's Review: originally from Senegal, may be the most ready all around defensive center in the draft. He'd get some competition from Jeff Withey and Alex Len, but as far as being ready to step in and help a team, I'd put my short term money on Dieng. He averaged 30 minutes a game for Louisville, and made his presence known mostly on the defensive side of the ball. However, Dieng has a very nice little 15 foot jumper, and he shoots a good percentage with it. He's also a very good passer, especially in the post where he hits cutters, or kicks the ball out to a spotup shooter. But for the most part, most of his scoring comes off alley opps, backdoor cuts, the pick and roll, or putbacks. He's a good shotblocker averaging 2.5 BPG, which is actually down from his sophmore year when he averaged 3.2 BPG. He's a good athlete with good leaping ability, and his body is a far cry from where it was when he came to the US. He's probably put on 50 pounds since then, and he could still carry more. He's also a good man to man defender in the post, and he'll probably get even better as he adds muscle. He rebounds the ball well, and is fundamentally sound in that area, fighting for position, and blocking out. I like Dieng! He's not fancy and he doesn't come with bells and whistles. He's just a blue collar guy with some upside left, thats most ready to step in and contribute.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I would draft this guy for sure.
At #7?

At #15 maybe you take Dieng instead of going high-risk, high-reward. But at #7 there will be at least 4 or 5 guys on the board that simply cannot be passed over for Dieng in my opinion.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
At #7?

At #15 maybe you take Dieng instead of going high-risk, high-reward. But at #7 there will be at least 4 or 5 guys on the board that simply cannot be passed over for Dieng in my opinion.
My current hope is that the Kings take McCollum or whatever guard they like best paired with Tyreke at #7 and then trade for another mid/late 1st rounder to grab Dieng. He and Reggie Bullock are my favorite role players in this draft.

I saw Dieng play in a good number of games this year and I came away impressed. I still have doubts whether he can be a starter on a good team at the next level but if we ship out Patterson or JT he is a must pick. On the other hand picking him and burying him as a 4th-5th big for the next two years would be quite useless since he's pretty much a finished product.

My current hope is that the Kings take McCollum or whatever guard they like best paired with Tyreke at #7 and then trade for another mid/late 1st rounder to grab Dieng. He and Reggie Bullock are my favorite role players in this draft.
I think Bullock has the chance to be a better player than D. Green, as a role player, maybe even a Bruce Bowen type of SF in the future. Can you imagine him on the Pacers or OKC? What a steal late in the first round!

Besides Muhammad and Plumlee, among NCAA prospects, this guy's next in line on my red flags list. But at least Muhammad has that awesome UCLA factor working for him, especially playing under Howland who really tends to limit the production of his talent only to see them fare better in the NBA. Plumlee has a an average Duke factor. But Louisville has a pretty poor track record among first round picks (Earl Clark, Terrence Williams, Reece Gaines), and to boot Dieng is a 23 year old center, which almost always sees role player or less return rates and has one of the worst success rates in the league. That's a bit of a double whammy at work right here, based on past history.

And I wasn't all that high on Dieng to begin with--he kind of reminds me of Ekpe Udoh to some extent, actually. Incredibly limited scorer with some shades of passing, but not enough to make a difference. Advanced age which makes you wonder whether he's just feasting on younger, inexperienced guys.

Combine all that I'm not even sure if he's worth a first round pick. Definitely not in the mid-1st, IMO.