Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Victor Oladipo
Position:
SG
Hgt: 6'4"
Wgt: 213
Projected Draft Number: #5 NBADraft.net/#5 Draftexpress.com
College: Indiana
College Stats 2012-13: 28.4min 13.6pts (.599FG% .441TPt% .741FT%) 6.3reb 2.1ast 2.2stl 0.8blk 2.3TO

Baja's Review: Oladipo may be the best defensive player in this draft. I can think of many adjectives that would describe him. Tough, Intense, Athletic, Desire, Heart, Relentless, and so on. He's a freak athlete with outstanding end to end speed. His lateral quickness is off the charts, and while on defense, he playes up close and personal, barely giving his man the room to breathe. Yet despite playing that close to his opponent, he keeps his man in front of him. There are times when he clearly frustrates his man and totally takes him out of his game. At times, there appears to be two Oladipo's on the floor. He'll be guarding someone on the perimeter one second, and flying through the air to block a shot at the rim the next. On defense alone, he's capable of making a serious impact on the game. Thats not to say he's of no value Offensively. He shot the ball extremely well this season averaging 13.6 PPG, while averaging a very efficient 59.9% overall, and 44.1% from the three. He made dramatic improvements from his sophmore year. Part of the improvement in his shooting percentage was his improved shot selection. Most of his outside jumpers were spotup threes with his feet set, although he did improve in coming off screens to stop and pop. In the open court with the ball in his hands on the break he's almost unstoppable. Where he tends to struggle is in creating off the dribble. But, once again, he did improve in that area, showing the ability to change directions on the fly. At times this is where his speed gets him in trouble and he loses control of the ball. So he still has a lot of work to do in the ballhandling dept, but I have no doubt that with his work ethic and determination he'll get the job done. I will admit to being biased here. Oladipo is my favorite player in the draft. But there's a reason he's my favorite. He gives 100% everytime he's on the floor, and he's one tough hombre!

Gilles' Review: Junior. Is 6'4" with 6'9" wingspan. Elite athlete all-around: strength(15 repetitions even with his large wingspan), jumping(33" standing jump, 42" running jump, that you could clearly see in some of his athletic finishes in college) and quickness(will probably able to lock up most PGs). Was 4-5 option for a elite offensive team in college and knows how to pick his spots(.671 TS%). Was great from downtown(.441%) and last year's jump in FT% to .750 suggests that his shooting might be here to stay. Good offensive rebounder. Pretty bad handles - enough in open court, but no chance in traffic(18.5 TOV%). Can find an open teammate though and not just with perimeter swings. Handles and length pretty much lock him as SG.

Mass's Review: Victor Oladipo is one of the most likable players in this years draft. If you draft him you're drafting a player who's going to give you maximum effort level for however many minutes you play him for. He is already a star defensively, and should be able to help a team on that side of the ball from day one. He can shoot the ball effectively when he is open, but I would call him unproven as a jump shooter. With that being said, you have to respect his fantastic shooting percentages. I still wouldn't count on him as a major offensive contributor just yet, but he could certainly get there because of his great work ethic. I am also skeptical of his ball handling skills, and as a projected NBA SG that is something he's going to have to continue improving on. I'd consider Victor Oladipo a relatively safe pick anywhere in the top 10. I just cannot see a scenario where he isn't a solid rotation player at the very least, with the potential to be much more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough, Desire, Heart, Athletic, Defense and Shooting at great %.

Sound like a perfect replacment for MT/IT/Jimmer and running mate for Reke?

Reke/Tony/Victor + a veteran or shooter aka Beno or Jimmer would be a great backcourt on paper.

Tough, Desire, Heart, Athletic... and Shooting at great %
Wait, are you're about IT2? :D

Just to be clear Wes Johnson shot .415 from beyond the arc on 3.5 attempts per game and .772 from FT line. Oladipo got his better percentages on less than two attempts per game and shot just 12-34(.353) in February and March, tougher part of the schedule. Everybody expecting him to be prolific shooter is going to be very disappointed.

Wait, are you're about IT2? :D

Just to be clear Wes Johnson shot .415 from beyond the arc on 3.5 attempts per game and .772 from FT line. Oladipo got his better percentages on less than two attempts per game and shot just 12-34(.353) in February and March, tougher part of the schedule. Everybody expecting him to be prolific shooter is going to be very disappointed.
If IT is 6ft4 then no one on this site will be a problem with him on this site :)

The thing is we don't need him to be a prolific shooter, as long as he can play the tough D on either guard spot, shoot the spot up and cut to the hoop aka guard version of Leonard that is all we need.

I like this guy as a Tony Allen type roleplayer. Possibly a better in-game shooter, though (Allen's a bit weird; he has a funky release that no one trusts in an offense, but he's actually a good free throw shooter). But even if he was a poor shooter, I'd say he'd have a dozen year career as a critical cog piece like Allen. The mental components, physical strength/athleticism components, desire to lock down, etc. are all Allen-like. It's as close to a redux as we've seen in this draft.

I think what teams love in this draft is absolute certainty, and Oladipo checks out excellently in that area. No real basement, not uber upside, but solidified really good roleplayer, a winner is stuff that gets thrown around. Kind of like MKG's attributes in last year's draft. I guess it really boils down to age--MKG had good height for the position and was a freshman, Oladipo is probably an inch or two from ideal and had three years in college. I still wonder if that's worth an investment in the uber high lotto, but I could buy late lotto, more or less.