First right of refusal - latest rumors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where does it say it is too late for Ellison to come in?
Everything is speculation at this point, unless it comes from the mayors mouth. However, if we're to believe that KJ has been working on this deal for months, not days, and that he is set to announce his team of Burkle and Mastrov, how does Ellis showing up at the last minute help make things better? KJ would have to start over with working Ellison into the team with Burkle/Mastrov, which I don't see all three willing to share the spotlight our control. If you take Ellison by himself, then you have to drop Burkle and begin hammering out an agreement on the arena from the start. That doesn't make sense to me at this point in time.

Now CD's latest tweet regarding Ellison partnering with minority owner Cook makes more sense. This would mean that KJ and Ellison would just be meeting to fill each other in on what they're doing. But Ellison wouldn't be part of KJ's team per se.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I am assuming that a team of whales managing a basketball team just wouldn't work. These guys are self made men and want things done their way. I CAN see one assigned as the managing partner who has experience in pro sports (Burkle) and the rest being small investors not so much that the team needs their money but to show the BOG that the partnership is strong enough to prevent another Maloof incident where the owners simply ran out of money. Their position is more psychological at this point than anything else. The 20 some local investors are there for the psychological impact also.

I can't imagine 3 whales agreeing on how a team should be run but I CAN see a whale wanting a small ownership part becuse there is some possibility that this ownership would be strong enough to put together a winning team.

As far as I know, neither Hansen nor Ballmer have the experience to run a major league franchise. Am I right on that? This ownership would not only have the experience (one Stanley Cup) but also would have extra money in case of financial trouble.

Still don't understand the Maloofs thought process. From the outside it looks like they wanted to sell to the Seattle group when they could have had a much less convoluted bidding war with Ellison, Burkle, Mastrov etc. Wish we could know who they offered the team to.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Still don't understand the Maloofs thought process. From the outside it looks like they wanted to sell to the Seattle group when they could have had a much less convoluted bidding war with Ellison, Burkle, Mastrov etc. Wish we could know who they offered the team to.
You're assuming they actually have one. I don't think we can necessarily make that assumption, especially where brother George is concerned. I personally think his brain cells - what ones are left - are busily dancing to two different tunes, The Hamster Dance and Gangdam Style.

No, they actually played this perfect. No chance they got a 525MM valuation if things didn't go down this way. Team was valued at 300-350MM just a few months ago. Taking the high end of that, it's a 50% increase of value. In this situation they are literally in a no lose situation. They sell for the 525 valuation, or they get the same or more from someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.