Shabazz Muhammad banned:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Wow, just 90 minutes from starting his first game, the NCAA announced that he's ineligible to play this year. Huge blow to UCLA, and it leaves Muhammad in a pickle. He was likely a one and done player, so I'm not sure what his options are. I have no idea yet as to why, but usually it has to do with a coach buying a kid a sandwich. Just kidding, but when will the NCAA start punishing the real culprit instead of the kid. I feel for Muhammad. Nice of them to wait till the very last moment.

Wow, this is pretty huge news. How could he be so stupid to accept anything if that's what this is about? He has millions waiting for him after a year. He's on a scholarship, he doesn't need anything extra. Idiotic all around. And I'm not defleting responsibility from whoever is doing the offering. They need to be punished too.

It is ridiculous. They need to fix their rules regarding this. I read the article yesterday so I don't remember exactly but I think it was two plane tickets and hotel rooms to visit KU and another school. Paid for by the assistant coach of his HS team.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
A couple of premature calls in this thread. Muhammad has not been ruled ineligible for the season nor has he been suspended for 10 games. The only decision made thus far is that he was ineligible for the first game of the season and indefinitely thereafter while the complete penalty is determined. The LA Times believes based on NCAA regulations and the alleged benefits that Muhammad received (travel costs on three unofficial visits to Duke/UNC) that the penalty will be 10 games. They could be right. Every indication is that UCLA will appeal since the travel costs were paid by an established family friend and therefore should be legal.

So it's kind of a holding pattern right now. I would suspect that either the NCAA hands out a 10-game penalty, UCLA appeals, and it's knocked down to about 5, or the NCAA starts the negotiation at five based on "extenuating circumstances" and UCLA leaves it alone. I'm guessing 5 games right now either way.

Of course, none of this does anything to affect my opinion that the NCAA is a complete joke. They're contorting themselves in seven directions at once trying to disguise the fact that college football and college basketball are revenue sports. They make money. Tons and tons of money. And the colleges get to keep it all, while the athletes (many of whom don't care about an education) get to live in the dorms and got to classes towards a Communications or Phys. Ed. major. All the while they keep these cash-cow athletes in poverty not only by not paying them, but by taking away their ability to play sports if anybody else even thinks about giving them anything - all under a ridiculous smokescreen of "amateurism". As if these kids were students first, and incidentally athletes. It's a complete joke, and the sooner the NCAA gets shamed into doing right by its athletes and recognizing them for what they are (athletes, not students), the better.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
A couple of premature calls in this thread. Muhammad has not been ruled ineligible for the season nor has he been suspended for 10 games. The only decision made thus far is that he was ineligible for the first game of the season and indefinitely thereafter while the complete penalty is determined. The LA Times believes based on NCAA regulations and the alleged benefits that Muhammad received (travel costs on three unofficial visits to Duke/UNC) that the penalty will be 10 games. They could be right. Every indication is that UCLA will appeal since the travel costs were paid by an established family friend and therefore should be legal.

So it's kind of a holding pattern right now. I would suspect that either the NCAA hands out a 10-game penalty, UCLA appeals, and it's knocked down to about 5, or the NCAA starts the negotiation at five based on "extenuating circumstances" and UCLA leaves it alone. I'm guessing 5 games right now either way.

Of course, none of this does anything to affect my opinion that the NCAA is a complete joke. They're contorting themselves in seven directions at once trying to disguise the fact that college football and college basketball are revenue sports. They make money. Tons and tons of money. And the colleges get to keep it all, while the athletes (many of whom don't care about an education) get to live in the dorms and got to classes towards a Communications or Phys. Ed. major. All the while they keep these cash-cow athletes in poverty not only by not paying them, but by taking away their ability to play sports if anybody else even thinks about giving them anything - all under a ridiculous smokescreen of "amateurism". As if these kids were students first, and incidentally athletes. It's a complete joke, and the sooner the NCAA gets shamed into doing right by its athletes and recognizing them for what they are (athletes, not students), the better.
I admit I got my info from twitter, which is usually abridged, and sometimes premature. I hope your right about it not being a ban for the season. Of course some of my reasons are selfish. I was really looking forward to seeing him play this season. I don't want to get started on the NCAA. They've reached the poiint where its more about them, then it is about the ethical morality of college sports. They've gotten so caught up in the journey that they've fogotten where they're going.