Votes: 1 2.4%
  • 15 points a night

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • 10 points a night

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • 5 points a night

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Hit shots, spread the floor, keep his defender honest. Show his range, catch and shoot.

I think we need to back him off the ball until he gains some confidence in his shot and start working him back into it slowly.

he really needs some plays called for him. some screens to free him up for shots. i don't think he's adjusted to the speed and length of the defenses that are coming at him. i've seen hayes come out to the top of the key to pick his defender to free him up for a shot.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
he really needs some plays called for him. some screens to free him up for shots. i don't think he's adjusted to the speed and length of the defenses that are coming at him. i've seen hayes come out to the top of the key to pick his defender to free him up for a shot.
Agreed.

I keep watching him pass up open looks he would have nailed in college. I don't know if it's because he's lost his confidence, he's trying to be a team player, or what but when you can hear people in the crowd at an away game yelling at him to shoot the ball, you know something has to be wrong.

Agreed.

I keep watching him pass up open looks he would have nailed in college. I don't know if it's because he's lost his confidence, he's trying to be a team player, or what but when you can hear people in the crowd at an away game yelling at him to shoot the ball, you know something has to be wrong.
yep, i don't know whats going on with him. his release on the shots look good. they're just not dropping. there are times when i want him to shoot but he'll put the ball on the floor only to get smothered on defense... other times the person he passes to *hickson, salmons* just throws up a brick. it doesn't seem like he's respected by his team mates.

Hit shots, spread the floor, keep his defender honest. Show his range, catch and shoot.

I think we need to back him off the ball until he gains some confidence in his shot and start working him back into it slowly.
The guys with ball don't pass very often to spot up shooters.

My expectation was that he wouldn't look like Bobby Hurley...haha but seriously I think one thing that is tough for someone like Jimmer is going from 25 shots a game in college to maybe anywhere from 4-10 in the NBA. It's a pretty big change, and with someone who can shoot like him I think he will make the adjustment soon. His Defense has been worse than expected, and I don't really see how he's going to improve that, because it looks like he's trying to move laterally and through screens the best to his ability

I expected him to perform a little bit like he did in the preseason. He looked a lot more comfortable then besides the hesitant ball handling up the court.

Last edited:
L

LWP777

I expected him to be able to make more than 1 shot in a row. I don't think that's happened yet this year.

Probably around 12 PPG. I didn't expect him to come out blazing like many seemed to and I suspected there might be some trouble finding his role on the team. So far I think he's done OK but the most disappointing thing about him up to this point is his lack of aggressiveness. He's too timid out there. He probably just has the rookie jitters. I hope he can find his game in March and April with all the home games and the crowd behind him. When he plays it Arco you can just sense that the crowd is brimming with anticipation for him to nail a few big threes in a row but so far he hasn't been able to do that. I think he will in time though.

Not a whole lot. I knew that his transition from being the only offensive weapon on BYU to being a role player would be tough for a guy with average athleticism. His defense was alreay suspect and he's made very small strides with that so far.

the biggest disappointment I've had is how badly he's shooting the ball. I fully expected his shooting to translate right away and it has been a work in progress to say the least.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
I didn't expect him to be much of a PG, but did think he would be able to hit his threes. Right now he is only 30% from 3P, not good for a supposed deadly shooter. If he's not hitting his shots he is too much of a liability in other areas to make him worth playing.

I didn't expect him to be much of a PG, but did think he would be able to hit his threes. Right now he is only 30% from 3P, not good for a supposed deadly shooter. If he's not hitting his shots he is too much of a liability in other areas to make him worth playing.
His defense this last week has been so much better. He doesn't get beat at all, and he is in great position both for himself and team. He is helping a lot more. His progression on defense has been impressive in just a couple weeks.

A scoring punch off the bench - able to knock down open threes and space the floor.

anything else, defense, distribution, movement on offense would be a bonus.

I'm not surprised by what I've seen apart from his struggle to hit shots on the move.

I do think he has a high enough IQ to make an impact if he can solve his nervousness and over-thinking.

Just hit open shots for now. That's all. I'm even giving him a free pass on defense because he didn't have the experience playing it in college and is still adjusting to the NBA.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
My expectation at the beginning of the year was that Jimmer would be a spot scorer, nothing more. Maybe 10-15 minutes a game. I expected he would have problems on D because he's not overly talented in that area and because he's a rookie. I definitely didn't expect him to be contributing much as a point guard. He's got a long ways to go for that. He might have been in the top 20% of college guards in the ballhandling area, but that doesn't cut it for the NBA. He needs a couple of years of experience to develop as a pg. If he were on a good veteran team, he would be a lot more productive. He could get open shots in a more disciplined offense in which other players demand double teams.

My expectations were that we had a guy who could hit his shots and open up the floor with his ability to hit the 3.

He can't even hit a two........
Really, there's no need to overstate it. He's been reliable inside the arc when he's not forcing up an inside shot among the trees. He was 3 for 7 last game, but 0 for 3 from outside . . .

So a 75% shot rate inside the arc. Small sample size and all.

My expectation at the beginning of the year was that Jimmer would be a spot scorer, nothing more. Maybe 10-15 minutes a game. I expected he would have problems on D because he's not overly talented in that area and because he's a rookie. I definitely didn't expect him to be contributing much as a point guard. He's got a long ways to go for that. He might have been in the top 20% of college guards in the ballhandling area, but that doesn't cut it for the NBA. He needs a couple of years of experience to develop as a pg. If he were on a good veteran team, he would be a lot more productive. He could get open shots in a more disciplined offense in which other players demand double teams.
I think that's a pretty solid read. I think he's also trying to be what the team needs, which is a distribution-minded guard. Not even a pass-first point guard, just someone trying to run a team offense. This has disappointed alot of folks who watched him cross up 19 year old guards in college and rain threes on them. That stuff won't fly in the NBA where it's efficiency in possessions that matters. I don't know if he can be the point this team needs, but I find it encouraging to see him try at least.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I was hoping 10 ppg by the end of the season. As in his actual season avg still being in single digits. So not sure how to vote here.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think that's a pretty solid read. I think he's also trying to be what the team needs, which is a distribution-minded guard. Not even a pass-first point guard, just someone trying to run a team offense. This has disappointed alot of folks who watched him cross up 19 year old guards in college and rain threes on them. That stuff won't fly in the NBA where it's efficiency in possessions that matters. I don't know if he can be the point this team needs, but I find it encouraging to see him try at least.
Yes, and in trying to be what the team desperately needs, he's sacrificing what he does best. If Jimmer does what he does best, he'll substitute for Thornton in the designated outside gunner role, but that's about it at this point in his career.

I'll admit to not seeing any of Jimmer in college, but his offensive game in the NBA has been surprising in that it doesn't look how I expected.

We all know he leaves his feet without knowing if he's going to shoot or pass. Everyone agrees that's a flaw in his NBA game that he'll need to improve. Nash does it too, but he does it decisively and even with Nash I'm not sure it's still not a fault. Anyway, his mid-range shots look weird. He jumps up and pushes the ball from his chest to the basket. Is that actually his form when creating off the dribble, or am I looking at him deciding to shoot at the last second because he doesn't see a pass? I hope it's the latter.

I'm not down on the guy at all. He splits defenders and finds the open man at a PG level, he's just making a lot of mistakes and can't hit his shots. Unless he's mentally weak(and I don't think he is); he'll improve significantly on both those fronts, probably even this season.