Jimmer starting tonight! What's your take?

To be fair, Keith Smart has only been coaching th team for 5 days, three of those days having games. He's had no time to sleep, let alone put together an offense.
I agree with you. If I am Keith Smart this is one of the first things I do once they have time to do it. It is so sad to see good players on this team look so bad.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Name me one team Thornton would actually start on besides the Kings. Not only is he not a star, he's not even a great player.

He scores a lot because he shoots a lot. Meanwhile his assist numbers and ability (or willingness) to run an offense and distribute the ball are ABYSMAL. He is not a rookie. He has no excuse. He's just not good.
Oh my. People never understand how much it damages their argument to say stupid over the top things. Credibility goes right out the window. Not, you know, that the Suns don't think Jared Dudley is an amazing SG and all.

It's clear Jimmer has a long way to go; it's mental with him right now clearly.

too much going through his head so he's lost the natural basketball flow he had in college right now

He doesn't want to take his shot for some reason, he's trying to penetrate and dish, which with poor spacing and bad passes is just not working, his head is down on the way up the court, turnovers, and he's picking up his dribble 3 or 4 seconds before his receiver is set.

If he's still doing all these things late in the season it's worrying.

I'm disappointed in Jimmer's play. He seems lost, can't hold the dribble going left and gets cornered. To make matters worse, he hasn't shown that he can knock down the shot like was expected. So far, he hasn't shown he belongs on the floor.

Last edited:
he's pretty good when we set picks for him to get free. (aside from hayes, who sets decent picks on the team?)

from the limited minutes i've seen from him hes made rookie mistakes but on the other hand hes made some good passes to open guys for easy baskets. is it because the lack of training/practice/playing time causing some of the miscommunication between him and some of the teammates?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
There was some debate last year about Jimmer's dribbling with his left hand. That debate is over. He needs some work in that area. I really think that with time and work (and I fully expect he will work very hard) that he's going to be pretty good. Right now it's very difficult. He's a rookie, totally new to the NBA. He has to adjust to new teamates, and now within the first month of the season, he has to adjust to a new coach. His teamates don't look like they have a great deal of trust in him, and he doesn't have trust about whether he's going to get the ball when he's open (and oftentimes he doesn't get the ball when he's open). When others don't trust in you it's easy to not trust in yourself. Smart is very aware of this trust issue and hopefully this gets rectified sooner rather than later.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This response from Jimmer after the game sums up why all the kings players are struggling so bad:

"it's all a learning process we don't know 100% now obviously were everybody is going to be, so it's definitely tough, it's definitely a transition, but every game well keep getting more used to it and hopefully start winning some games."

They have no clue where anyone is going on the offensive end. There is no rhythm for them to get into. Every time down the floor something different happens and there is no consistency. No wonder everyone on the team has an awful shooting percentage. They don't have consistent places they are used to getting shots from. No one knows when to shoot, when to pass, or when to drive. Until this team gets an offense that is legit, they will all continue to struggle...period!

This has to be frustrating for the players. This is taking good players and making them look really bad. It is unfortunate.
Look, the players have to take responsibility for this as much as the coaches (pre or post Westphal). There are times were it is OBVIOUS that the players are going one on one because.....because they just want to, despite what the system is. They've got a bad habit that need breaking. They are going to have to step up and break the habit.

If Omri -er, sorry, Jimmer were starting, we'd be the best team in the league...
You know, I respect you and all, but he's moved on and I suggest you do the same.
No need to bring the kid's name on every thread, it's getting tiring... I suspect many of his fans have moved on with him anyway.
And FWIW - I don't even miss the guy, and looking at our SFs that's saying a lot!

Jimmer spends far too much time moving up to the three-point line, especially at the elbow, then turning his back to the basket to avoid losing the dribble. He doesn't have the handle to face the basket, he's not hitting shots right now, and those two things make me question why we play him so much.
While I agree with your observations I am also amused how everyone are concentrated on offense while my big concern with Jimmer has always been (and still is) on the defensive side. I mean, sure, the guy's shot is not falling right now. That is not a reason to send him to the D-League. And there is no way the FO does that with all the Jimmermania potential. But the main concern for me is on the defensive side, where he is currently underperforming (and I am using the best term I can think of). Seeing him and IT2 together fill the backcourt just make me cringe. Shooters have bad times. They also have great runs, and Jimmer did not forget to shoot the rock. But good defence is much more consistant, and I wish we focus much more on that part of the game because that's what will make this team become better and evetually gain more Ws.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
To start with, I think everyone is overthinking this. If you step back, which has been suggested by some, and look how the team got to where it is, at least for this season, I don't think anyone should be shocked by whats happening. Youngest team in the league! Very little training camp and just a couple of preseason games. Out of the eleven players that are playing, five are new to the team. And now, a coaching change.

Now I know that there are some of you that just can't stand, not blaming someone for all of this. There are others that believe none of this should matter, and the team has no excuses. Unfortunately it does matter, and this is the result, at least in the short term. Teams that have been together for a while have a distinct advantage over teams like the Kings.

As far as Jimmer goes, he's doing about what I expected this early in the season. I did think his shot would be dropping a little better, but then I also thought he would be looking for his shot more often. He appears to be atempting to be the distributer on the team. Or maybe he's just trying to fit in. Its hard to be the new kid on the block and say gimme the ball so I can shoot it. I have no doubt that in time he'll figure it out, and the team will figure out how to best use his abilities. I'm not about to say he's having trouble getting his shot, when he's passing up wide open shots.

To single him out for bad shooting though is almost laughable. The whole damm team is shooting badly. He's just one of the many. If you want to feed the the most proficient shooter on the team, then we should get JT around 25 shots a game because he's shooting 58.3% overall. The second best shooter on the team is Evans. Here's a list in order of proficiency.

Thompson: 58.3%
Evans: 45.2%
Cousins: 43.2% (not a good percentage for a big man, but its up recently from being in the 30's)
Thornton: 43%
Hickson: 39% (once again, not good for a big man. Should be close to or over 50%
Greene: 38.9% (not very good, but only a very small slice to judge from)
Fredette: 36% (Terrible for him. This is a guy that shot well in the 50% range in college)
Salmons: 36% (Well below his career average)
Thomas: 30.8% ( I bet a lot of you thought he was shooting better than Jimmer. Nope, just flashier)
Garcia: 28.6%
Outlaw: 25% (This is the guy taking Greene's minutes. Go figure.)

You want to know why were losing? You just can't shoot that badly and win games. Yes, there are reasons why were shooting that badly, and they're way to many to go into right now. But the bottom line in any game is. The team that puts the ball into the basket the most times, Wins!

One final note, and I don't mean it to be an indictment. But if I had it to do over, I might reverse the Hickson trade. He's a very good athlete, with a questionable skill level, questionable hands, an inconsistent jumpshot, and not much of a post game other than dunks. His defensive rotations are just terrible at times, and he's constantly caught guarding someone thats already being guarded. His rebounding is very good at times, and disappears other times.

On the other hand, he's still young, and I have to give him the same leeway I give to the others. Besides, Casspi isn't exactly tearing it up at Cleveland. On second thought, he's shooting 38% overall. Which is not good for a SF in the league, but is better than any SF we have on our team right now.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
To start with, I think everyone is overthinking this. If you step back, which has been suggested by some, and look how the team got to where it is, at least for this season, I don't think anyone should be shocked by whats happening. Youngest team in the league! Very little training camp and just a couple of preseason games. Out of the eleven players that are playing, five are new to the team. And now, a coaching change.

Now I know that there are some of you that just can't stand, not blaming someone for all of this. There are others that believe none of this should matter, and the team has no excuses. Unfortunately it does matter, and this is the result, at least in the short term. Teams that have been together for a while have a distinct advantage over teams like the Kings.

As far as Jimmer goes, he's doing about what I expected this early in the season. I did think his shot would be dropping a little better, but then I also thought he would be looking for his shot more often. He appears to be atempting to be the distributer on the team. Or maybe he's just trying to fit in. Its hard to be the new kid on the block and say gimme the ball so I can shoot it. I have no doubt that in time he'll figure it out, and the team will figure out how to best use his abilities. I'm not about to say he's having trouble getting his shot, when he's passing up wide open shots.

To single him out for bad shooting though is almost laughable. The whole damm team is shooting badly. He's just one of the many. If you want to feed the the most proficient shooter on the team, then we should get JT around 25 shots a game because he's shooting 58.3% overall. The second best shooter on the team is Evans. Here's a list in order of proficiency.

Thompson: 58.3%
Evans: 45.2%
Cousins: 43.2% (not a good percentage for a big man, but its up recently from being in the 30's)
Thornton: 43%
Hickson: 39% (once again, not good for a big man. Should be close to or over 50%
Greene: 38.9% (not very good, but only a very small slice to judge from)
Fredette: 36% (Terrible for him. This is a guy that shot well in the 50% range in college)
Salmons: 36% (Well below his career average)
Thomas: 30.8% ( I bet a lot of you thought he was shooting better than Jimmer. Nope, just flashier)
Garcia: 28.6%
Outlaw: 25% (This is the guy taking Greene's minutes. Go figure.)

You want to know why were losing? You just can't shoot that badly and win games. Yes, there are reasons why were shooting that badly, and they're way to many to go into right now. But the bottom line in any game is. The team that puts the ball into the basket the most times, Wins!

One final note, and I don't mean it to be an indictment. But if I had it to do over, I might reverse the Hickson trade. He's a very good athlete, with a questionable skill level, questionable hands, an inconsistent jumpshot, and not much of a post game other than dunks. His defensive rotations are just terrible at times, and he's constantly caught guarding someone thats already being guarded. His rebounding is very good at times, and disappears other times.

On the other hand, he's still young, and I have to give him the same leeway I give to the others. Besides, Casspi isn't exactly tearing it up at Cleveland. On second thought, he's shooting 38% overall. Which is not good for a SF in the league, but is better than any SF we have on our team right now.
I think you have it with Jimmer. His value now is in shooting the ball. But vets aren't exactly gung ho about giving up the rock to have the rook shoot a ton of shots. The first little hint that the ball isn't going in for the rook is excuse enough for them to not pass him the ball. Jimmer obviously gets all this, and therefore feels uncomfortable about jacking up shots, even though that's what he needs to do. Because he feels uncomfortable, the shots aren't falling like they should. Just another thing for Smart to iron out.........

Bricklayer

I think you have it with Jimmer. His value now is in shooting the ball. But vets aren't exactly gung ho about giving up the rock to have the rook shoot a ton of shots. The first little hint that the ball isn't going in for the rook is excuse enough for them to not pass him the ball. Jimmer obviously gets all this, and therefore feels uncomfortable about jacking up shots, even though that's what he needs to do. Because he feels uncomfortable, the shots aren't falling like they should. Just another thing for Smart to iron out.........
There is a difference between jacking up shots and taking open shots. It was, and I suppose now still is, one of the questions of a college gunner like Jimmer who averaged 20 shots a game as a senior. He's not thinking like a roleplayer, but rather as a a guy who's instincts say chuck it! everytime he takes 3 dribbles, and he's fighting that, and hence himself, and looking awful doing it. Those sort of chuck shots you generally do NOT want him taking, as the last thing we need is another chucker, and this one a small rookie shooting 36% to boot. And of course that was his game in college, so that's a major concern.

Now what we SHOULD want him taking are spot shots utilizing his shooting, not his questionable ability to create shots at this level. Get him off the ball, maybe run some floppy sets for him or just have him spot up someplace where our guys know where he's going to be on the court, get hit by the pass, and take the shot automatically, no thoughts, doubts, or anything else. Until he proves his shooting touch has entirely left him every shot of that type which our offense can create for him he should take. I don't trust his decionmaking or ability to create for himself, but a guy who can shoot should be able to shoot at any level if you get him an open look. Make things simple for him and you and help clear up some of the shooting problem.

But vets aren't exactly gung ho about giving up the rock to have the rook shoot a ton of shots.
The bolded term being relative. There may be some of that going on. A fun little catch-22. He can't prove himself to the team until he starts getting good passes for open shots, but he won't get good passes for open shots until he proves himself.

That might explain his determination to be a distributor first, thinking that he will get repaid in kind. We'll see how that works out. My prediction: Jimmer will be the first casualty of the talent logjam at the 2-guard and will get shipped to another team for a backup point guard. Of course, once at the new team, he will promptly drop 6 threes in a game for a team that runs a good offensive rotation.

The bolded term being relative. There may be some of that going on. A fun little catch-22. He can't prove himself to the team until he starts getting good passes for open shots, but he won't get good passes for open shots until he proves himself.

That might explain his determination to be a distributor first, thinking that he will get repaid in kind. We'll see how that works out. My prediction: Jimmer will be the first casualty of the talent logjam at the 2-guard and will get shipped to another team for a backup point guard. Of course, once at the new team, he will promptly drop 6 threes in a game for a team that runs a good offensive rotation.
That is my fear as well and if it happens, it may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. Accepting cheapness, blunders, ineptitude, losing, etc. is all just part of being a Kings fan but if i have to start watching their draft picks be traded for garbage, only to flourish on other teams, it may be the knockout blow that finally makes me give up on this franchise for good.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
There is a difference between jacking up shots and taking open shots. It was, and I suppose now still is, one of the questions of a college gunner like Jimmer who averaged 20 shots a game as a senior. He's not thinking like a roleplayer, but rather as a a guy who's instincts say chuck it! everytime he takes 3 dribbles, and he's fighting that, and hence himself, and looking awful doing it. Those sort of chuck shots you generally do NOT want him taking, as the last thing we need is another chucker, and this one a small rookie shooting 36% to boot. And of course that was his game in college, so that's a major concern.

Now what we SHOULD want him taking are spot shots utilizing his shooting, not his questionable ability to create shots at this level. Get him off the ball, maybe run some floppy sets for him or just have him spot up someplace where our guys know where he's going to be on the court, get hit by the pass, and take the shot automatically, no thoughts, doubts, or anything else. Until he proves his shooting touch has entirely left him every shot of that type which our offense can create for him he should take. I don't trust his decionmaking or ability to create for himself, but a guy who can shoot should be able to shoot at any level if you get him an open look. Make things simple for him and you and help clear up some of the shooting problem.
I don't want Jimmer thinking about taking shots. I'd rather have him err on the side of taking ill advised shots rather than to be overly discriminating. He's thinking too much out there. The primary thing he needs to keep him mind out on the floor is: When you're open, JACK IT UP! Open? JACK IT UP! Maybe the phrase itself would put a little smile on his face, make him a little more carefree, a little more loose. Thornton, on the other hand, should be reined in a little. He's not a rook. He should know the deal is by now, as should Tyreke. Not in a million years would I use that phrase with those guys.

The best 1-2 lineup when Thornton is out is Evans, Garcia. But starting Fredette is part of his in-service on-the-job training and we all need to have him do that here at the beginning of the season. He is a prize acquisition and management will and should play him until he shoots both feet off. Go Fredette.

Bricklayer

That is my fear as well and if it happens, it may just be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. Accepting cheapness, blunders, ineptitude, losing, etc. is all just part of being a Kings fan but if i have to start watching their draft picks be traded for garbage, only to flourish on other teams, it may be the knockout blow that finally makes me give up on this franchise for good.
I find this take to be a little odd coming from the same guy who is complaining in the other thread about how much time this is all taking and how we shouldn't give guys any more of it? For the tipping point to be the one kid (older than the others BTW) who hasn't flashed star stuff at this level is odd. Part of the overall Jimmer phenomenon I suppose.

But I wouldn't worry about it too much. This has not been a franchise that gives up on its rookies easily. Even Quincy Douby got a couple of years out of us. And if you were going to trade Jimmer I would think it would be now, while the Jimmermania phenomenon is still strong in the minds of some and another team might be tempted by the hype and ticket sales and give you a significant guy in return. And trading Jimmer NOW would be truly out of character. Basically a first for us, unless the pressure to start winning now changes our normal rules of engagement.

Bricklayer

I don't want Jimmer thinking about taking shots. I'd rather have him err on the side of taking ill advised shots rather than to be overly discriminating. He's thinking too much out there. The primary thing he needs to keep him mind out on the floor is: When you're open, JACK IT UP! Open? JACK IT UP! Maybe the phrase itself would put a little smile on his face, make him a little more carefree, a little more loose. Thornton, on the other hand, should be reined in a little. He's not a rook. He should know the deal is by now, as should Tyreke. Not in a million years would I use that phrase with those guys.
Thornton on the other hand has shown he can score 20ppg a night. Jimmer has shown nothing at all. People have to get their head out of the college game. Jimmer is not 29ppg scorer here. He's a 36% shooting rookie. You are trying to win and develop a structure guys can beleive in, it does not include a struggling rookie jacking up crap from all over the floor whenever he feels like it. He's got to show something before he can earn any of that right, and on a team with Cousins, Reke and Thornton, even if he does earn it he's going to have rein it in a bit.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I know a lot of people didn't see much of Jimmer in college. So they basicly go with his rep as a gunner. In fact, Jimmer spent a large amount of time each game trying to get his teammates involved, and as a result there were games where he only took 5 or 6 shots in the first half. However, in the second half, if he thought the team needed him, he might end up taking 15 or 16 shots. It wasn't unusual for him at times to miss 5 or 6 shots in a row, or go perhaps 1 for 6 in the first half, and then go 10 for 15 in the second half.. The biggest difference, is that in college he was going to get the minutes and the shots. He averaged close to 40 minutes a game, and in many games he played the entire 40 minutes, getting his blows with the timeouts.

I think he's just feeling his way right now. Trying to find his game, while not stepping on the toe's of the vets. Very fine line to walk and feel comfortable. At the same time he's trying to adjust to the speed and talent of the NBA. I've said many times. The players sitting at the end of the bench in the NBA, were probably the best players on their highschool team, and may have been the best player on their college team. There are no truely bad players in the NBA, there are just better players at the top.

I think once he figures out what his role is, and gets comfortable with his teammates, he'll be fine. He's always been a hard worker, and a gym rat. He's learning from this, and he's the type that will spend the entire off season improving the areas that need work. Playing PG on this team right now would be difficult for anyone. No one is on the same page. Thomas and Fredette drive the lane looking for cutters, and 1 out of every 5 or 6 times they have someone to pass to. No excuse for leaving your feet though. I'd like to point out again, that Steve Nash was guilty of doing the same thing when he was a rookie. It takes a while to figure out what works and what doesn't work. Especially for a PG.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Thornton on the other hand has shown he can score 20ppg a night. Jimmer has shown nothing at all. People have to get their head out of the college game. Jimmer is not 29ppg scorer here. He's a 36% shooting rookie. You are trying to win and develop a structure guys can beleive in, it does not include a struggling rookie jacking up crap from all over the floor whenever he feels like it. He's got to show something before he can earn any of that right, and on a team with Cousins, Reke and Thornton, even if he does earn it he's going to have rein it in a bit.
You're creating a problem that doesn't exist: Jimmer shooting indiscriminate shots all over the court. That's not the problem. The problem is that he's not comfortable shooting the ball. Forget about the "structured" half court offense with Jimmer. You're going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the future with this half-court thing. You're talking about reading the encyclopedia when this team is just learning phonetics. Let's look at the part of the game that is the least structured - the fast break. Let's start with the simplest thing the Kings can possibly do. That's the focus right now with Smart - as it should be. Jimmer is going to get space in fast breaks. PERIOD. (I'm going to take a GIANT leap and assume that Smart can get them to run a fast break properly). So, what should Jimmer being told, when he receives the ball in space on a fast break? JACK IT UP! And what should EVERY SINGLE PLAYER do when they see Jimmer open on a fast break - GIVE IT TO HIM. There shouldn't be any ambiguity about that. No long negotiations, or terribly difficult decisions to make. Jimmer open: give ball to Jimmer; Jimmer shoot. If they can't do that, then we have football season to look forward to next year.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

You're creating a problem that doesn't exist: Jimmer shooting indiscriminate shots all over the court. That's not the problem. The problem is that he's not comfortable shooting the ball. Forget about the "structured" half court offense with Jimmer. You're going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay in the future with this half-court thing. You're talking about reading the encyclopedia when this team is just learning phonetics. Let's look at the part of the game that is the least structured - the fast break. Let's start with the simplest thing the Kings can possibly do. That's the focus right now with Smart - as it should be. Jimmer is going to get space in fast breaks. PERIOD. (I'm going to take a GIANT leap and assume that Smart can get them to run a fast break properly). So, what should Jimmer being told, when he receives the ball in space on a fast break? JACK IT UP! And what should EVERY SINGLE PLAYER do when they see Jimmer open on a fast break - GIVE IT TO HIM. There shouldn't be any ambiguity about that. No long negotiations, or terribly difficult decisions to make. Jimmer open: give ball to Jimmer; Jimmer shoot. If they can't do that, then we have football season to look forward to next year.
No particular argument on fast breaks, but that's becuase that's a different situation. That's not jacking up shots, or even taking a "shot" per se, that's finishing a play. And certainly if Jimmer, or any of our guys for that matter, get the ball in position to finish a break you want them to do it.

I'm gonna bring up the racial card for a second, because like it or not it IS a reality here:

This in no way changes what any of you are talking about re: Jimmer's game, lack of shooting, bad decisions, etc.

But I quite clearly heard the Philly crowd inordinantly booing Jimmer every time he had the ball. WTF? He's a rookie, with no negative actions his entire career, with no rivalry to explain it - it was quite clearly a backlash against Jimmermania.

The unspoken reality is that he's a very white boy playing in a league who's majority culture is black - one of streetball, and street cred.

On the Kings team, who else is like him whatsoever?
It's real easy for us all to say "ah, just shut it all out, and focus on what got you here", but we're not living his life. I'm sure it's not easy being the lightning rod for punks dismissing him and not giving him a fair chance because of the color of his skin (and white background as opposed to a Jason Williamsish bg).

Maybe he's not built like others, with a chip on his shoulder when confronting adversity - maybe he backs down from the not-insignificant macho challenges to his manhood that are inherent on the bball court.
Maybe he doesn't force respect from his fellow teammates the way others might.

I'm gonna bring up the racial card for a second, because like it or not it IS a reality here:

This in no way changes what any of you are talking about re: Jimmer's game, lack of shooting, bad decisions, etc.

But I quite clearly heard the Philly crowd inordinantly booing Jimmer every time he had the ball. WTF? He's a rookie, with no negative actions his entire career, with no rivalry to explain it - it was quite clearly a backlash against Jimmermania.

The unspoken reality is that he's a very white boy playing in a league who's majority culture is black - one of streetball, and street cred.

It's real easy for us all to say "ah, just shut it all out, and focus on what got you here", but we're not living his life. I'm sure it's not easy being the lightning rod for punks dismissing him and not giving him a fair chance because of the color of his skin (and white background as opposed to a Jason Williamsish bg).

Maybe he's not built like others, with a chip on his shoulder when confronting adversity - maybe he backs down from the not-insignificant macho challenges to his manhood that are inherent on the bball court.
Who told you they were booing him because he's white?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Sixer fans were booming him because they're from Philly. As simple as that.

Sixer fans were booming him because they're from Philly. As simple as that.
They were also booing Cousins too, not as noticeable because Smart's weird rotation that game. I was guessing Jimmer booed because of his college hype and Cousins for his recent media attention.

Highly highly doubt they booed him because he's white. Everything else you posted I agree with, though. I'm sure it's been quite an adjustment for Jimmer to go from playing with his BYU teammates to playing with the guys on the Kings... especially certain players.

Jimmer Stats close to Kobe Rookie Stats

Hey since everyone on this board thinks Jimmer is terrible I thought I would look at Kobe Bryant's rookie stats. They are pretty close. Kobe has the edge so far, but Jimmer has not been too bad for a rookie.

Jimmer:

Season Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
11-12 SAC 10 1 23.8 0.360 0.308 0.889 0.8 0.8 1.6 2.5 0.6 0.0 1.8 1.2 8.4

Kobe:
Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
96-97 LAL 71 6 15.5 0.417 0.375 0.819 0.7 1.2 1.9 1.3 0.7 0.3 1.58 1.44 7.6