The truth about Jimmer Fredette

Of course, this is my truth and may be wrong. I wear my heart on my sleeve and I don't mean to offend anyone.

With this being said, I think Jimmer Fredette is an absolute star in the making. I know you all remember Jason Williams, my favorite player of all time. I was literally suicidal the first time I saw Jason Williams play at Florida, and watching him play ball gave me a reason to live. I'm from Gainesville, FL and I know everything there is to know about Jason. I have supported Jason for 15 years. Point being, you can tell Jason Williams means a lot to me. When I say what i'm about to say, it takes a lot to say it...

I think Jimmer can be twice the player Jason was. Jason was very underrated, mind you. Started on a title winning team. Jason was great at setting the pace, getting the offense into it's set quickly and always going to the hot hand. Jason's presence did not show up in a boxscore most nights. Jason Williams was a damn fine player and a winner.

Onto Jimmer...

Jimmer is bigger. Jimmer is stronger. Jimmer is a better shooter. Jimmer is tougher physically. Jimmer is a much better scorer. Jimmer has everything a great scorer has to possess. Inside. Out. Intermediate. No flaws offensively.

Jimmer is going to be special. Jimmer, IMO, is the best player on your team.

Clearly he's got a lot to prove, and who knows how it'll all play out. But I know that I went from being pretty 'meh' about Jimmer to pretty excited after watching his first preseason game live. And I think it's because of something that JWill also had...where there was an energy in the crowd when he was on court...a sense that something amazing could happen at any moment, for better or worse, and the game could change in an instant. Hard for me to describe.

Clearly he's got a lot to prove, and who knows how it'll all play out. But I know that I went from being pretty 'meh' about Jimmer to pretty excited after watching his first preseason game live. And I think it's because of something that JWill also had...where there was an energy in the crowd when he was on court...a sense that something amazing could happen at any moment, for better or worse, and the game could change in an instant. Hard for me to describe.
Yes, Jason and Jimmer's intangibles are there if you're open to the idea of something other than a boxscore contributing to wins. I understand you completely.

Jimmer has a LONG way to go before he reaches "best player on the Kings". Or before he reaches "star". For the PG position, he just isn't that big, and his lack of size isn't covered by any great physical abilities. He is average physically, maybe a bit above average due to his strength. Plus, you only listed qualities on the offensive end. I'm EXTREMELY excited about his shooting and general scoring, as well as his playmaking ability and high basketball IQ, but I don't think he'll ever be even average on the defensive end.

What type of player can he develop into? I've only been watching the NBA for... 12 years, so I can't compare him to players of old lore, but maybe his upside is a stronger Mike Bibby? Maybe nearly Steph Curry? Or if his playmaking improves drastically, dare I say, a strong (rather than quick/crafty) Nash? I don't know, but if you've noticed, the players I listed are great offensive players, but lack defensive prowess, and I think that will be Jimmer's issue throughout his entire career.

I'm very excited about his poise (it is evident what four years of college bball can do for you), as well as his shooting, and somewhat for his playmaking, but he is nowhere near Tyreke or Cousins yet in the overall talent/potential range.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Of course, this is my truth and may be wrong. I wear my heart on my sleeve and I don't mean to offend anyone.

With this being said, I think Jimmer Fredette is an absolute star in the making. I know you all remember Jason Williams, my favorite player of all time. I was literally suicidal the first time I saw Jason Williams play at Florida, and watching him play ball gave me a reason to live. I'm from Gainesville, FL and I know everything there is to know about Jason. I have supported Jason for 15 years. Point being, you can tell Jason Williams means a lot to me. When I say what i'm about to say, it takes a lot to say it...

I think Jimmer can be twice the player Jason was. Jason was very underrated, mind you. Started on a title winning team. Jason was great at setting the pace, getting the offense into it's set quickly and always going to the hot hand. Jason's presence did not show up in a boxscore most nights. Jason Williams was a damn fine player and a winner.

Onto Jimmer...

Jimmer is bigger. Jimmer is stronger. Jimmer is a better shooter. Jimmer is tougher physically. Jimmer is a much better scorer. Jimmer has everything a great scorer has to possess. Inside. Out. Intermediate. No flaws offensively.

You're gonna catch some flak for being way too optimistic but don't let it stop you. I, too, loved the style of Jason Williams and loved the excitement he brought to the game. I think Jimmer will bring a lot of excitement to this team, too. I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy watching his development with the rest of the team. There's no rush to name him "best player" or anything like that. I'm just very glad he's a King.

:)

I'll admit i was a sceptic about Jimmer; but he has all the core skills you could want to make it as a starter in this league and i really hope he does.

has a great attitude as well, seems humble, seems like basketball is his A1 focus and seems grounded.

really hope he's able to play his game at this level.

Like VF said, you're going to catch flak for being too optimistic. But I also sense an "energy" about Jimmer that tells me he's going to be a star. Therefore I will save the flak for someone else even more deserving than you! But it's easy to see that Jimmer's got the complete package on the offensive side. Now we just need time to see what he can do on the defensive side. Those who say he will never be a good defensive player are just repeating what they've heard or read elsewhere. Intellectual laziness.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Jimmer has a LONG way to go before he reaches "best player on the Kings". Or before he reaches "star". For the PG position, he just isn't that big, and his lack of size isn't covered by any great physical abilities. He is average physically, maybe a bit above average due to his strength. Plus, you only listed qualities on the offensive end. I'm EXTREMELY excited about his shooting and general scoring, as well as his playmaking ability and high basketball IQ, but I don't think he'll ever be even average on the defensive end.

What type of player can he develop into? I've only been watching the NBA for... 12 years, so I can't compare him to players of old lore, but maybe his upside is a stronger Mike Bibby? Maybe nearly Steph Curry? Or if his playmaking improves drastically, dare I say, a strong (rather than quick/crafty) Nash? I don't know, but if you've noticed, the players I listed are great offensive players, but lack defensive prowess, and I think that will be Jimmer's issue throughout his entire career.

I'm very excited about his poise (it is evident what four years of college bball can do for you), as well as his shooting, and somewhat for his playmaking, but he is nowhere near Tyreke or Cousins yet in the overall talent/potential range.
Just what is it with this size thing. Jimmer has had his share of criticism, but size isn't one of them. The dude is 6'2.5" in shoes. Thats average to slightly above average for a PG in the NBA. He's also a better athlete than he's given credit for, but that will shake out one way or the other with time. But there's nothing wrong with his size unless you decide to play him at SF.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Like VF said, you're going to catch flak for being too optimistic. But I also sense an "energy" about Jimmer that tells me he's going to be a star. Therefore I will save the flak for someone else even more deserving than you! But it's easy to see that Jimmer's got the complete package on the offensive side. Now we just need time to see what he can do on the defensive side. Those who say he will never be a good defensive player are just repeating what they've heard or read elsewhere. Intellectual laziness.
Nothing wrong with being optimistic, especially before the ball has been thrown up for the first game. I'll be optimistic until he proves otherwise. I mean, whats the point of the other option. However, I do think its important to add a little realism to the mix. Pretty rare for any PG coming out of college to walk into the NBA and not miss a beat. It took Nash five years before he became the Nash we know today. John Wall blew us away with his potential last season, but he's hardly a finished product.

I've followed Jimmer for a long time. Actually, I stumbled across him a couple of years ago. I won't go into details, but he really surprised me his junior year by making big changes to his game. I thought maybe it was a fluke, but then he came back his senior year, and was even better. He's always in top condition, and he's always working on his game. But more than anything, including his skill level, he's very smart. He has terrific basketball IQ. And, he's the total team player. So I'm very optimistic, but also aware that its going to take some time. We learn through our mistakes, and there's no easy road to success in the NBA.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Best shooter =/= best player.

I've been doing this long enough by now to know that that concept eternally eludes people because shooting sure is purdy and all that, but the two things are not closely related. In fact as a general rule most great players are not great shooters.

I've liked what I've seen of Jimmer thus far. Liked it enough that I think at least we may not have make a mistake moving Beno to get Jimmer. I'm hoping Jimmer should be able to have at least that level of impact. The being a great shooter plays in, because while Beno was a great shooter his range was somewhat limited and he was not comfortable shoting threes, in particular off the catch. And a guy who can hit threes is precisely what the best players on our team need to help spread the floor. And its clear Jimmer knows how to play, which takes him out of great shooterdom and into good basketball playerdom.

But best player on the team, as always, involves a lot more than being a shooter, or even a scorer. With the exception of a handful of alltime PG types true best players on a team can normally do lots of different things and can play both sides of the ball, creatively. Scoring is just the tip of the iceberg for a best player. Unless you are terrible, your best player can defend, rebound, dish, almost invariably (there are a few exceptions) can score around the hoop, and present physical mismatch probelms for their opponents. That's not Jimmer, I largely like what I've seen and think he could turn out to be a saavy support weapon for this team. But if he's ever its best player the franchise is screwed. This isn't college. There are no 6'2" jumpshooting best players in the NBA, unless they are dishing out 10 assists.

Last edited:

I've been doing this long enough by now to know that that concept eternally eludes people because shooting sure is purdy and all that, but the two things are not closely related. In fact as a general rule most great players are not great shooters.

I've liked what I've seen of Jimmer thus far. Liked it enough that I think at least we may not have make a mistake moving Beno to get Jimmer. I'm hoping Jimmer should be able to have at least that level of impact. The being a great shooter plays in, because while Beno was a great shooter his range was somewhat limited and he was not comfortable shoting threes, in particular off the catch. And a guy who can hit threes is precisely what the best players on our team need to help spread the floor. And its clear Jimmer knows how to play, which takes him out of great shooterdom and into good basketball playerdom.

But best player on the team, as always, involves a lot more than being a shooter, or even a scorer. With the exception of a handful of alltime PG types true best players on a team can normally do lots of different things and can play both sides of the ball, creatively. Scoring is just the tip of the iceberg for a best player. Unless you are terrible, your best player can defend, rebound, dish, almost invariably (there are a few exceptions) can score around the hoop, and present physical mismatch probelms for their opponents. That's not Jimmer, I largely like what I've seen and think he could turn out to be a saavy support weapon for this team. But if he's ever its best player the franchise is screwed. This isn't college.
Point being, your team is horrible. Jimmer is the best by default, but he's still the best. Jimmer Fredette is better than Tyreke Evans. Sorry to burst your bubble. Tyreke is limited and is not a winner. Tyreke is a great combo guard and sixth man. However, you will never win with Tyreke at the PG position. Jimmer Fredette is a superstar.

You lost me when you questioned Jimmer's size. IMO, that makes zero sense.

Entity

Hall of Famer

But best player on the team, as always, involves a lot more than being a shooter, or even a scorer. With the exception of a handful of alltime PG types true best players on a team can normally do lots of different things and can play both sides of the ball, creatively. Scoring is just the tip of the iceberg for a best player. Unless you are terrible, your best player can defend, rebound, dish, almost invariably (there are a few exceptions) can score around the hoop, and present physical mismatch probelms for their opponents. That's not Jimmer, I largely like what I've seen and think he could turn out to be a saavy support weapon for this team. But if he's ever its best player the franchise is screwed. This isn't college. There are no 6'2" jumpshooting best players in the NBA, unless they are dishing out 10 assists.
perfect example for kings fans. Peja = best shooter Chris Webber = best player. now sometimes your best shooter is your best player ray allen in seattle for example. now he is best shooter in Boston or was but he isn't the best player.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Point being, your team is horrible. Jimmer is the best by default, but he's still the best. Jimmer Fredette is better than Tyreke Evans. Sorry to burst your bubble. Tyreke is limited and is not a winner. Tyreke is a great combo guard and sixth man. However, you will never win with Tyreke at the PG position. Jimmer Fredette is a superstar.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Goodness.

I was just making a little mostly reasonable post and boom, just like that, you decided to go and decimate your own credibility.

Little Reke hate, slap at Kings, dash of delusion as a cherry on top...you really should have stuck with the I loved JWill/now I have hopes for Jimmer angle.

Last edited:
Dumbest thing I've ever read in my entire life. Wow. I mean, really, I feel like I just lost some brain cells reading something as dumb as this.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Um, no. Cousins is probably the best all-around player/talent on the team, but even then his defense needs help. He also needs to work on decision-making and attitude at times. Jimmer has played in no regular-season NBA games yet. Let's re-assess after 30 games and see how he has performed, shall we? And this is coming from a guy who just bought a Jimmer tshirt at the team store during the Warriors pre-season game. I think he has potential. Let's see if he can live up to it. And believe me, I want him to. But he has proved NOTHING yet, and labeling him as the team superstar when he wasn't even the best player in the draft is just nuts at this point.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Considering that he has, as mentioned, played zero regular season professional games, I'm not even convinced that Jimmer Fredette is the best player on the Kings whose first name starts with J.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Considering that he has, as mentioned, played zero regular season professional games, I'm not even convinced that Jimmer Fredette is the best player on the Kings whose first name starts with J.
John Salmon, Jason Thompson, J.J. Hickson Jyreke Evans Jemarcus cousins Jassan Whiteside, Jancisco Garcia, Jarvis Outlaw, Jisaha Thomas, Jyler Honeycutt, Jonte Greene, hahaha i was just amusing my self there at the end

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This is really weird. It's like you mixed all of your words up in a blender. Let me help unscramble that for you:

Jimmer Fredette is your default sixth man and is not better than Tyreke Evans is at the PG position. However, Jimmer Fredette is a winner and is a great combo with Tyreke. The best point guard is still Tyreke. Jimmer is limited but he's never horrible. You will burst your sorry team to the best by being a bubble superstar, Tyreke. Win!

Impossible to really say anything definitive on jimmer either way.

some college stars are awful in the NBA, some good/average college players end up being special in the NBA.

let's just wait and see how he does.

I don't get the obsession with the Tyreke/Jimmer face off.

Unless Tyreke has a stinker of a season where he falls back 99% he is going to be 'the man' on this team, so if you don't like him (which i can't understand) you've just gotta deal!

This is really weird. It's like you mixed all of your words up in a blender. Let me help unscramble that for you:

Jimmer Fredette is your default sixth man and is not better than Tyreke Evans is at the PG position. However, Jimmer Fredette is a winner and is a great combo with Tyreke. The best point guard is still Tyreke. Jimmer is limited but he's never horrible. You will burst your sorry team to the best by being a bubble superstar, Tyreke. Win!
I nominate this for best post of 2011! Well done, sir

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I doubt if you will find anyone on this forum who will agree and also I suspect most of the people affiliated with the NBA may have a lot of trouble with what you are trying to say. As this forum is full of people who like to point by point take you apart, I'll simply let them. Enjoy.

Um, no. Cousins is probably the best all-around player/talent on the team, but even then his defense needs help. He also needs to work on decision-making and attitude at times. Jimmer has played in no regular-season NBA games yet. Let's re-assess after 30 games and see how he has performed, shall we? And this is coming from a guy who just bought a Jimmer tshirt at the team store during the Warriors pre-season game. I think he has potential. Let's see if he can live up to it. And believe me, I want him to. But he has proved NOTHING yet, and labeling him as the team superstar when he wasn't even the best player in the draft is just nuts at this point.
Fair enough.

I apologize if anyone was offended.

I wear my heart on my sleeve.

My heart tells me Jimmer is a star at any level.

I was literally suicidal the first time I saw Jason Williams play at Florida, and watching him play ball gave me a reason to live. I'm from Gainesville, FL and I know everything there is to know about Jason. I have supported Jason for 15 years. Point being, you can tell Jason Williams means a lot to me. When I say what i'm about to say, it takes a lot to say it...

Onto Jimmer...

You are scary. But I am glad you found your life in a basketball player.

You seem to describe JWill as if he is in the category of Jordan and Kobe. So, why is it we didn't get a ring when he was here? And why is it he did not turn out to be a superstar?

And I surely hope Jimmer has "NO FLAWS OFFENSIVELY" as you claim. Or, I'll declare you a looney. J/K of course. It's just annoying you that you have to exaggerate things. It would be frustrating to find out later he is less than how you describe him.