[WNBA] Comments that don't warrant their own thread - 2K10 Edition

From earlier this month, here's an article on local high school baller Brittany Shine, from Sac High.

But the part that really surprised me was that Ruthie Bolton is the assistant coach at Sac High. I never heard about this before. I know that she had coached at William Jessup in the Rocklin area a few years ago, but never knew about being at Sac High.

Here's the article, plus some pics of Brittany and Ruthie:
http://www.sacbee.com/2010/02/25/2563260/preps-plus-shine-stars-for-sac.html

According to ESPN's scroll, New York Liberty coach Anne Donovan will reportedly get the head coaching job at Seton Hall. She will coach the Liberty for the upcoming 2010 season, and then officially step down once the WNBA season ends.

I knew that Donovan had been looking for a college coaching job for a while...but SETON HALL?

Well, you don't get rich coaching in the WNBA, and college does offer some sort of job security, especially one where the athletic department doesn't pay very much attention to their women's b-ball team.

If Donovan thinks that coaching at Seton Hall is a better job than coaching for the WNBA's largest market team, then it is more of an indictment on the Liberty's management (namely General Manager Carol Blazejowski) than it is for Donovan and Seton Hall.

UPDATE: Here's another article from USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/womensbasketball/2010-03-29-2417303667_x.htm

Last edited:
I know who lost, that's for sure; if I were GodSylla, I'd be heated right now...
The Sky lose a great post combo in Dupree/Fowles, but they get Christon who is an all-star small forward with range and who can get to the rim (which is what they were lacking) and Kraayveld who can...shoot the three. If anything, wouldn't Big Syl be happy that the paint opens up a lot more this season?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I don't know; maybe I'm the one who's ****ed up, but I can't see Dupree for Christon/Kraayveled as anything but a downgrade. Maybe opening up the paint for Fowles is exactly what they wanted, and it's addition by subtraction. In terms of talent, though, Chicago lost out.

I don't know; maybe I'm the one who's ****ed up, but I can't see Dupree for Christon/Kraayveled as anything but a downgrade. Maybe opening up the paint for Fowles is exactly what they wanted, and it's addition by subtraction. In terms of talent, though, Chicago lost out.
I guess in essence it's a downgrade at the PF spot (Dupree>>>>Kraay) for an upgrade at SF (Christon>>>>Ely/Young/Price or anyone else they tried at SF :))

The WNBA Draft is today, starting at 12 noon. The first round will be shown on ESPN2. The second and third rounds will be on ESPNU and NBA-TV.

and also a "what will never be" ... :mad:

i hope the bay area team* can draft maya moore ... *if there is one ...
She might need some security if she's sent out to Stanford Territory ;)

Seriously though, Maya is just flat out amazing...IF there is a Bay Area Team and IF they get the chance to draft Maya I'd love to watch her play in person.

She might need some security if she's sent out to Stanford Territory ;)

Seriously though, Maya is just flat out amazing...IF there is a Bay Area Team and IF they get the chance to draft Maya I'd love to watch her play in person.
If there is a Bay Area team in 2011, and Maya Moore gets drafted by that team, I am there.....at least on the weekends.:cool:

According to basketball columnists Jayda Evans and Michelle Smith, Jennifer Azzi has the inside track to be named as the new head coach for the Univ. of San Francisco Lady Dons team, even though Azzi has no previous coaching or recruiting experience. Former USC coach Mark Trakh was also considered as a candidate. An official announcement will be made tomorrow (Wednesday, April 21).

Hiring Azzi would bring a lot of buzz to the Lady Dons program, but to get someone with no coaching experience --- her work with b-ball camps with grade-school youngsters doesn't count as coaching --- seems like a very risky move to me.

http://leftcoasthoops.com/blog/wcc/azzi-on-usfs-list-of-candidates

http://twitter.com/JaydaEvans/status/12526702638

The Seattle Storm becomes the third WNBA team to get a corporate sponsor on their jerseys. The Phoenix Mercury and L.A. Sparks had corporate sponsor logos on their unis last year. The Indiana Fever had Kroger as a sponsor last year, but their logo was not on the Fever's uniforms.

Seattle's jersey sponsor is Bing, the web search engine.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/138727

The 2010 WNBA Draft is history. And the below link is the draft board.

http://www.wnba.com/draft2010/draft_board.html

In your opinion, if the Monarchs were still around, who do you think how they would've selected? Would Whisenant go for Jayne Appel, despite her injured foot and no points in the final NCAA Championship Game against UConn?

I'll venture a guess. I believe that Jayne Appel would have been snatched up by the Monarchs. I faintly remember hearing that she was on their radar for quite some time. Of course, my knowledge of the WNBA is not really advanced enough to even think about commenting on such matters.

The Seattle Storm becomes the third WNBA team to get a corporate sponsor on their jerseys. The Phoenix Mercury and L.A. Sparks had corporate sponsor logos on their unis last year. The Indiana Fever had Kroger as a sponsor last year, but their logo was not on the Fever's uniforms.

Seattle's jersey sponsor is Bing, the web search engine.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/article/138727
I really don't mind this going on. I wonder if it will spill into the three major men's leagues as well? Do you believe that it would have helped the Maloof's justify keeping the Monarchs around if they had a jersey sponsor? (I hate to sound so centered on the past, but I suppose these things warrant a little discussion here.)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Wed, May 12, 2010 12:04:00 AM
Fw: Update from the Atlanta Dream

To:Slim

I half expected this. Her head finally caved in.

--- On Tue, 5/11/10, Toby Wyman <dispatch@atlantadream.net> wrote:
Subject: Update from the Atlanta Dream
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Date: Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 6:10 PM

[FONT=verdana,arial]You're receiving this email because of your relationship with Atlanta Dream. Please confirm your continued interest in receiving email from us.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=verdana,arial]

You may unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive our emails.

[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,serif]May 11, 2010 [/FONT]
Dear Andre:

I hope this note finds you well and like me, full of anticipation for our Opening Night tip on May 16 vs. the Indiana Fever. This past Sunday, the Dream wrapped up its second week of training camp with a mix of veterans and rookies. The intensity level will continue to rise this week as we welcome back WNBA All-Stars Sancho Lyttle and Erika de Souza from Europe.

As we continue to build this franchise on and off the floor, we are at times faced with making tough decisions. We are currently challenged with one of the most difficult decisions this organization has encountered. Unfortunately, Chamique Holdsclaw recently expressed a desire to be traded. Chamique was an integral part of our success last year and we had every intention of keeping her and having her continue to play a key role with the Dream. We are actively pursuing a resolution to grant her request and we appreciate all that Chamique has done to help our young franchise.

We are very pleased with the team we have in place and continue to have the same high expectations of a successful 2010 season. Camp has been extremely competitive and our players are pushing each other to get better every day.

We look forward to seeing everyone on May 16 for Opening Night! As always, we appreciate your continued support and our staff is working hard every day to earn your trust.

BELIEVE IN THE DREAM!

Sincerely,

Toby Wyman

President & COO

Unfortunately, Chamique Holdsclaw recently expressed a desire to be traded. Chamique was an integral part of our success last year and we had every intention of keeping her and having her continue to play a key role with the Dream. We are actively pursuing a resolution to grant her request and we appreciate all that Chamique has done to help our young franchise.

When there are only twelve potential employers, you are well liked by your current boss, and the economy is on such shaky ground, I believe that the adage "Don't rock the boat and it will take care of you" should hold some weight.

Unfortunately, Chamique Holdsclaw recently expressed a desire to be traded. Chamique was an integral part of our success last year and we had every intention of keeping her and having her continue to play a key role with the Dream. We are actively pursuing a resolution to grant her request and we appreciate all that Chamique has done to help our young franchise.

WHAT!! What in the hades is wrong with that girl?? She wasn't happy in Washington. She wasn't satisfied in LA. Could not find contentment in Europe, and now in her so called adopted hometown of the ATL amongst Volunteer support playing on a good Dream squad, SHE WANTS OUT!??!!

WHAT!! What in the hades is wrong with that girl?? She wasn't happy in Washington. She wasn't satisfied in LA. Could not find contentment in Europe, and now in her so called adopted hometown of the ATL amongst Volunteer support playing on a good Dream squad, SHE WANTS OUT!??!!

I hear that she wants to go play for the N.Y. Liberty. She's a native of Queens, NY.

I think Chamique has been cut far more slack than any other WNBA player deserves. Personally, I think she should go to the Libs. And if she is not satisfied there, then I believe it's time for the WNBA to cut ties with her.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
A college star with so much potential wasted by going from team to team. I don't believe that girl will ever be happy.

A college star with so much potential wasted by going from team to team. I don't believe that girl will ever be happy.
Some people try to be happy by changing external things. It never works. You have to be happy in your heart first. I hope she realizes that someday. Unfortunately, all her drifting around looking for happiness in all the wrong places isn't helping her or any team that takes her on.