Brandon Jennings #4

I really don't know why Jerry was so low on Jennings he seems like a very gifted player who makes bad decisions on the court sometimes. Jerry of all people should know that that is one of the easiest things to fix in an NBA player.
Is it though? I mean, it took years and years before Jason Williams became a disciplined player. Same with Rafer Alston. Francisco Garcia is gradually curing himself of brain fart disease, but he still makes regular stupid plays. Some guys are just boneheaded.

Is it though? I mean, it took years and years before Jason Williams became a disciplined player. Same with Rafer Alston. Francisco Garcia is gradually curing himself of brain fart disease, but he still makes regular stupid plays. Some guys are just boneheaded.
Yes, but those players had far more experience by the time they were rookies than Jennings has. If Jennings was still performing that way after 2 or 3 years in Europe or college then the likelihood of him changing his ways would decrease dramatically. However, in this case it's a little more open-ended.

Well those are certainly interesting videos. There is no denying his court vision but dang that's an ugly shot. His shot looks like D fisher's only he kinda fades away and his body goes all over the place. He doesn't seem to know what to do once he gets to the basket and prefers to take fade away jump shots from 20 feet in isolation. I don't know how to evaluate a kid his age and to accurately determine how his game will grow. I do have confidence that Geoff does.

I also think as his maturity develops so will his feel for the game, he will probably quit relying so much on his athleticism to finish in the paint and he will become more agile.

I didn't like what he had to say about Holiday and Evans, he doesn't have to tear other players down in order to build himself up, that's not cool. Especially when Evans and Holiday both played PG in HS like he did.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I didn't like what he had to say about Holiday and Evans, he doesn't have to tear other players down in order to build himself up, that's not cool. Especially when Evans and Holiday both played PG in HS like he did.
Well, having seen all three of them play I agree with him. Jennings is a legit PG. Evans can pass, but he's a scorer. Holiday can play some PG but not full-time. His calling card is defense. Playing PG and actually being an NBA PG are two different things. Didn't Brad Miller use to play PG in high school?

If anything, that's a sign of weakness/low confidence. You don't go into a job interview and bash the other applicants

Just a quick question....What would your guy's reaction be if we took him at 4?

edit:assuming Rubio, Thabeet, Griffin are gone
I'd be pissed as we would have passed on 9 PG's that are better than Jennings in this draft:
Evans, Curry, Holiday, Flynn, Maynor, Lawson, Teague, Collison, Mills and maybe even Beaubois, Douglas or Llull.

Jennings is Sebastian Telfair of 2009. BUST!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure that he was talking about them as much as he was answering the question about converting a shooting guard into a point guard. I thought it was a dumb question in the first place in the way it was worded. It implied that Evans and Holiday were always shooting guards, which as you point out, they wern't.

Well, having seen all three of them play I agree with him. Jennings is a legit PG. Evans can pass, but he's a scorer. Holiday can play some PG but not full-time. His calling card is defense. Playing PG and actually being an NBA PG are two different things. Didn't Brad Miller use to play PG in high school?
Well whatever you think about Holiday it's painfully obvious he's a better PG than SG, if you're seen him play I don't see how you can deny that. However he should really keep the criticism of his peers to himself, especially when he hasn't proven crap either. He may have better PG skills than them, but he has yet to prove he has the intangibles that he talked about and he was playing a lot of off guard for Roma, so it's not like he's really that much different. I think GM's would appreciate a greater respect for his peers rather than his amateur opinion of the potential PG's in this draft.

I didn't sense he was bashing anyone, from what I read he was saying that teams trying to convert combo guards in his opinion won't work.

Not like he was saying he is great and they are terrible players.

If anything, that's a sign of weakness/low confidence. You don't go into a job interview and bash the other applicants

Honestly I don't think he was bashing....I think he was just telling the truth. In his opinion he thinks that Evans and Holiday would have a hard time playing Point in the NBA because they were SG in there collegiate career, and I agree with him I do beleive that Holiday and Evans aren't true point guards but just combo gaurds.

Honestly I don't think he was bashing....I think he was just telling the truth. In his opinion he thinks that Evans and Holiday would have a hard time playing Point in the NBA because they were SG in there collegiate career, and I agree with him I do beleive that Holiday and Evans aren't true point guards but just combo gaurds.
Actually saying that they can't be PG's is bashing them because a.) those guys want be known as versatile players and b.) PG's are more valuable than SG's. Lets just say for the sake of argument that his opinion could affect GM's opinions on other players, he'd definitely want to make them look like less of a PG so it would bump him up on the rankings of PG's. Whether it was his honest opinion or not, he should've been more political in his answer, he hasn't proven he's a real PG yet either, he just can't play any other position.

Everyone who watched Holiday play knows that he was playing out of position and he would've been playing PG if it wasn't for Collison staying. Evans yeah, he's definitely more of a 2 guard who can be a PG at times, but they played PG more than they SG if you take their HS careers into account. It's not like they've played SG in college for 3 straight years and are just now trying to convert.

Last edited:
I'd be pissed as we would have passed on 9 PG's that are better than Jennings in this draft:
Evans, Curry, Holiday, Flynn, Maynor, Lawson, Teague, Collison, Mills and maybe even Beaubois, Douglas or Llull.

IMO the big and most important difference between Telfair and Jennings is that Telfair did not have the athleticism or explosivness that Jennings has. Telfair also was still his streetball flashy self coming into the draft while Brandon Jennings has had time to mature and learn the game in the Euro league.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

It's going to be interesting how far Jennings falls in this draft. It might be a long, long way.

I don't think he was really trying to bash people, just being too honest. I was expecting to find someone immature and petty, but it's more that he just said a little too much.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

While I would not in any way want to draft Sebastian Telfair, I highly doubt that there are 9 PGs better than Telfair in this draft. Would basically mean there are 9 starting quality guys on the board, and I doubt there are 5 when its all said and done.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think he was really trying to bash people, just being too honest. I was expecting to find someone immature and petty, but it's more that he just said a little too much.
I mentioned it in the other Jennings thread, but I think Amick set him up, knowing what the most probable answer would be.

"Yeah, I think I'm a better player than he is. I just shoot the ball better than he can. The only thing I've seen him do sometimes is when he has a home-run pass or something like that. I think the dude is just all hype. I can't even front. I'm just going to be real with you guys."

I don't know why but this got me a little pumped.

Get rowdy Jennings.. Hype that number 4 spot up.

If motivated, Jennings would ball with our young squad. Martin's stock would skyrocket.