Report: Sam Cassell is a King

No big deal. It's no secret the Maloofs are trying to cut payroll. They're getting an expiring contract and cash back. I don't think there's anything more to it...
The fact that the Maloofs like cash back isn't surprising, but that the trade happened now, before we make any other trade, is. It removes an open roster spot when everyone knows the Kings are trying to make a 1-for-2 trade involving Miller and taking back an expiring + young player.

My point is, this trade could have waited until the coast is clear; when the Kings are sure they don't need an open roster spot for that blockbuster trade.

It's curious. Maybe Petrie has something up his sleeve. At least I'm hoping.

Maybe Petrie is just too unpredictable. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, this leads to something better.

But can it be possible if this is a three team deal? I just don't make too much sense if this is plainly a Sac-Boston deal.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Haha...The Fetus is a King!

If this is the only deal that goes down I'm going to be a sad panda...

..Then again I'd be surprised if this is the only deal that goes down with us considering almost every one of our vets has been involved in trade rumors.

I'm jumping on the hopeful 'maybe this is the start of a flurry of trades' bandwagon!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Egads -- so we are now again one of those bottomfeeding teams that sells its assets for operating money huh? Wonderful.

But yeah, upside is maybe its protection in a planned Beno trade. We'll know within 48 hours or so.

Hopefully it's part of something bigger, but even if it isn't it's not the end of the world. Petrie treats second round picks like they are garbage anyway.

Bricklayer

This is truly bewildering. Unless this is the first of many trades, I just don't get it.

Some other thoughts:

1) if we immediately waive him so he can go rejoin the Celts or whatever, then it truly was a desperate purely for cash maneuver

2) maybe it is Geoff's attempt to import a "winning mentality" (guy has three rings), even though said winning mentality has just as often been a cancer when he's not happy, and I can only imagine him being not so happy about losing out on another ring so he can come to the worst team in the league. Should also be noted that Sam's "winning mentality" never involved defense, which is of course the very worst thing we do, and what ismost desperately in need of an upgrade.

3) Sam has coaching aspirations -- longest of long shots, could we be importing our next coach in training? I always assumed he would have to do the assistant coaching rounds, but...?

4) if it really is about basketball, then are we going to lose BJax in one of these trades and needed the old vet replacement? Or are we moving Beno, and looking for extra old man insurance while we see what the ounger Bobby can do in the last 29 games?

Entity

Hall of Famer
Miami wants a pg and has a 4mil excetion and a 700k excetion. That could get them Bjax or Beno. Haven't searched the board yet but the Moore, Douby for Rashad McCants rumor looks to get that roster spot back as well.

Miami wants a pg and has a 4mil excetion and a 700k excetion. That could get them Bjax or Beno. Haven't searched the board yet but the Moore, Douby for Rashad McCants rumor looks to get that roster spot back as well.
This trade isn;t for the Kings. this is Petrie doing a favor for the Celts. Building good graces for potential future deals.

This deal -

1) Gets the Celts under the lux tax
2) Creates a roster spot for the Celts
3) the pick will NEVER switch hands as it is HEAVILY protected
4) the 500,000 dollars will off-set the remaining 2 months of Cassell's salary while having a some surplus for the Kings.

This is more gaining good karma for the Kings with a couple bucks. But this was the Celtics approaching the Kings to do them a favor and since it doesn't hurt the Kings they said sure.

Bricklayer

This trade isn;t for the Kings. this is Petrie doing a favor for the Celts. Building good graces for potential future deals.

This deal -

2) Creates a roster spot for the Celts
4) the 500,000 dollars will off-set the remaining 2 months of Cassell's salary while having a some surplus for the Kings.

This is more gaining good karma for the Kings with a couple bucks. But this was the Celtics approaching the Kings to do them a favor and since it doesn't hurt the Kings they said sure.

5) and yes: that too. Upon reading an account of this deal which cast it as a positive for the Celts, the above is a distinct possibility. Nobody "heavily protects" a second round pick, and nobody would be willing to pay any considerable sum of money for such a dubious asset (let's say no higher than the 45th pick some year). So this might have more to do with the Celtics than us. They pay us Sam's contract amount now ratehr than having to pay Sam's contract, and a matching amount for being over the luxury tax later. That said since we are in fact giving up an asset (the second round pick) some year, there must be SOME advantage in it for us. You don't just throw away a pick on a favor without some sort of angle in it for you. Well...given the value Geoff normally puts on 2nd round picks, maybe he does. But it would be odd.

The Celtics probably did this to clear a roster spot. Players waived after March 1 are ineligible to be on the playoff roster on any team which signs him for the remainder of the season. I'm not sure if or how that applies to Sam, but I wouldn't expect to see him in a Celtics uniform again.

Can Sam be potentially a good trade piece if he does well in Sac? Maybe similar to Salmon? I'm hoping so.

We can afford to give Beno time to Sam so he gets opportunity to show himself off. Increase trade value and BAM...package deal. Miller and Sam or something in that regards.

Somehow I doubt GP is just doing this out of his own good heart, believe in Karma and that Celtic is going to return the favor without a contract.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Can you do that? Can a second-round pick be so protected over a certain time frame (and then revert back to the original owner) that it never changes hands?

Not doubting you, I just hadn't heard of this before.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Can you do that? Can a second-round pick be so protected over a certain time frame (and then revert back to the original owner) that it never changes hands?

Not doubting you, I just hadn't heard of this before.
I'm pretty sure I've seen picks traded with that sort of protection window - once the window expires the trade is considered complete with no pick changing hands.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

This deal -

Well, they were about $8-9M over the tax threshold to start with. They don't come under the threshold, but they do get some tax relief.

At this point in the season, how can the Celts pick be "heavily protected", its not like they're going to be a lotto team, and probably in the worst possible scenario finish with the 4th best record in the league. Just what kind of protection do they need?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
At this point in the season, how can the Celts pick be "heavily protected", its not like they're going to be a lotto team, and probably in the worst possible scenario finish with the 4th best record in the league. Just what kind of protection do they need?
I think you read it wrong - we are sending our second-rounder to Boston in the trade, they are sending Sam to us. It is our pick that is protected.

Bricklayer

He jsut added an update:
(Update: I'm told the Celtics would still get the pick, but it's conditional until 2015).
So if that's a normal conditional pick it looks like we sold the pick for $350,000. Its partially protected for a long time -- 6 years, but come 2015 if the Celtics have not already gotten it, they will get the 2015 2nd rounder regardless of where we are picking.