Report: Sam Cassell is a King

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3912402

The Sacramento Kings agreed in principle to a deal with the Boston Celtics on Monday night, a league source told ESPN.com. The Celtics will send Sam Cassell and cash to the Kings for a future second-round pick.

Cassell
Barring any changes overnight, the deal is expected to be finalized Tuesday afternoon with the league office.
The deal helps the Celtics by removing Cassell's salary from the team's luxury-tax computations. The Kings give up virtually nothing to do it as the pick is heavily protected. Furthermore, another league source says the deal could pave the way for the Celtics to add another player to their roster prior to the playoffs. The Celtics had a maximum of 15 players on their current roster.
Cassell hasn't played a game for the Celtics this season, but he's been an important veteran voice in the locker room. While it's unclear what the Kings will do with Cassell, most likely they'll waive him.

Not really sure why the Kings do this.

Wtf?

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, re-read it:

The Celtics will send Sam Cassell and cash to the Kings for a future second-round pick.

The Sacramento Kings agreed in principle to a deal with the Boston Celtics on Monday night, a league source told ESPN.com. The Celtics will send Sam Cassell and cash to the Kings for a future second-round pick.

Cassell
Barring any changes overnight, the deal is expected to be finalized Tuesday afternoon with the league office.
The deal helps the Celtics by removing Cassell's salary from the team's luxury-tax computations. The Kings give up virtually nothing to do it as the pick is heavily protected. Furthermore, another league source says the deal could pave the way for the Celtics to add another player to their roster prior to the playoffs. The Celtics had a maximum of 15 players on their current roster.
Cassell hasn't played a game for the Celtics this season, but he's been an important veteran voice in the locker room. While it's unclear what the Kings will do with Cassell, most likely they'll waive him.

Probably one owner helping another since we help them avoid the luxury tax without putting ourselves over it.

More clear now... thanks. Celtics paid for an open roster spot.

Although... is it horrible to think that Cassell could actually be our starting pg?

Naw, this has nothing to do with anything except money. You don't trade for a guy who hasn't played a game this season hoping he's going to actually play.

In fact, this may even be a sign that the Kings are going to be completely silent on the deadline, because this is taking up a roster spot that could otherwise be used to facilitate a trade. If I'm not mistaken, this means Cassell will be on the roster until he clears waivers, which won't happen before the deadline.

This may be it, folks. Either that or we're looking to ship out a bunch of players tomorrow and taking on a few back and this balances the roster. Something tells me it's quiet though.

Last edited:

Cassell

wow this forum sure is fast with trade news. you cant say the kings didnt do anything before the trade deadline :p. i dont see anything wrong with this trade. i believe cassell's contract expires after this year, we get cash, and it says the pick we gave up is heavily protected (even though i never see gp do anything great with second rounders anyways). we keep him as a locker room presence or waive him, either way i dont hate the trade

Naw, this has nothing to do with anything except money. You don't trade for a guy who hasn't played a game this season hoping he's going to actually play.

In fact, this may even be a sign that the Kings are going to be completely silent on the deadline, because this is taking up a roster spot that could otherwise be used to facilitate a trade. If I'm not mistaken, this means Cassell will be on the roster until he clears waivers, which won't happen before the deadline.

This may be it, folks. Either that or we're looking to ship out a bunch of players tomorrow and taking on a few back and this balances the roster. Something tells me it's quiet though.
If that's true, I'm not going to watch one more Kings game for the rest of the 2008/2009 season. :mad:

That would suck big time!

This is a nothing trade really other than maybe helping out the bottom line a bit finacially. Taking on a player to fill out the roster certainly takes away the flexibility in trades. That points to this being it!

This is turning into a pretty average day for us!

I think it's a sign we're about to make a few dumptacular that make that Bibby dump look like a great trade. Salmons to OKC for Joe Smith and Miller to NY for Rose. :rolleyes:

What in the "Sam Cassell" hell is going on???? why did we do this????? hopefully their is another trade coming...but im not sure why we basically sold a future second round pick and wasted a roster spot. I have a bad feeling this is a sign of the Maloofs having way to much say in Petrie's job.

Only good news could be that we are looking to trade beno for young players and Petrie wanted a cheap vet to run the point. But since we are in last place and a full rebuild that makes no sense....not what i was hoping to see with the kings in trade news.

Yeah this doesn't really mean anything besides a bit more money for us. Second rounders are very rarely worth anything and 99% of the time turn out not to be in the NBA or a scrub.

What in the "Sam Cassell" hell is going on???? why did we do this????? hopefully their is another trade coming...but im not sure why we basically sold a future second round pick and wasted a roster spot. I have a bad feeling this is a sign of the Maloofs having way to much say in Petrie's job.

Only good news could be that we are looking to trade beno for young players and Petrie wanted a cheap vet to run the point. But since we are in last place and a full rebuild that makes no sense....not what i was hoping to see with the kings in trade news.
Apparently that pick is HEAVILY protected. That and Geoff with late 2nd round picks = crap anyway. Even if there is a decent player available, he'll pick crap more than likely.

Who knows maybe that extra $$$ helps towards the Kings making other moves. IDK.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No big deal. It's no secret the Maloofs are trying to cut payroll. They're getting an expiring contract and cash back. I don't think there's anything more to it...

Maybe Beno is gonna be moved (Good news for the Kings)

Maybe the Celtics are getting ready for Marbury (Irrelevant news for the Kings)

Maybe the Kings can't find trade partners anymore(Bad news for the Kings)

Maybe the Kings front office are just plain dumb! (Not news anymore) :rolleyes:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Noooooooooooooooooooo! This just makes me sick.

If the front office is smoking something, they better pass it along…They seriously better have better ideas for him than keeping him here (and I’m hoping that it would be in a trade – a trade that actually gets us someone back, someone back that can actually do something instead of expire).

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Noooooooooooooooooooo! This just makes me sick.
Is it really that big of a deal? Maybe this will make sense in the context of some megadeal later in the week, but at the moment this is about as insignificant a trade as can possibly be made.

Sam might be worth a little more then we think, he knows the Celts system. Their stregnths and weaknesses, and hes a vet guard with championship exp... I'm thinking/hoping he is part of a bigger trade for us.

P

PoundForPound

Forget the "no big deal" campaign on this.

Start Cassell! I would seriously start an old Sam Cassell over this crappy Beno Udrih.

Well, ever since his days with the Rockets I've always been a closet-fan of Sam.. and now that he's a King, I can make it public!! ;)

But anyways, I don't think this deal means a thing.

Last edited:
Is it really that big of a deal? Maybe this will make sense in the context of some megadeal later in the week, but at the moment this is about as insignificant a trade as can possibly be made.
You have no idea how much this bothers me. I can’t explain, yes he’s an expiring and we do get cash back, and we don’t have to give a player away to get him, but…I don’t know…..I’ve never really liked him….it’s a feeling I can’t explain….

Anyway, I said in my last post that I hope we have better plans for Sam.