Spencer Hawes compared to the rest of the 2007 nba draft class

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, wait.

Now we not only have pre-season draft talks, and draft predictions and draft wish lists, but we're adding post-draft redraft assessments?

I strongly suspect Finley has something to do with all this.

Personally, I think Horford is overrated. I don't see his upside being any higher than as a solid fourth option on a team. He'll be a double double guy, but I don't think he's quite as talented as some of the other guys in this draft.

Also, Wilson Chandler is getting overlooked by most people.

1. Oden
2. Durant
3. Young
4. Hawes
5. Horford
6. Sessions
7. Thornton
8. Chandler
9. Fernandez
10. Stuckey
11. Green
12. Brooks
13. Gasol
14. Noah

Of course, making a list like this so early obviously favors NBA ready prospects, while high-risk, high upside projects (Wright, Jianlian) get overlooked.

Last edited:
Okay, wait.

Now we not only have pre-season draft talks, and draft predictions and draft wish lists, but we're adding post-draft redraft assessments?

I strongly suspect Finley has something to do with all this.
3 POINT SHOT!!!

no, seriously, I oft think of the way things should have been, me bleeding purple and all. :D

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Okay, wait.

It is all just part of our ever-expanding list of goods and services provided for free here at KingsFans.com! :D

How I would draft:

1) Greg Oden
2) Kevin Durant
3) Al Horford
4) Spencer Hawes
5) Thaddeus Young
6) Ramon Sessions
7) Al Thornton
8) Rudy Fernandez
9) Rodney Stuckey
10) Jeff Green
11) Wilson Chandler
12) Nick Young
13) Marc Gasol
14) Carl Landry

This just shows how good of a drafter Petrie is. Yet some people are saying there is no guarantee of getting an all star with a top 5 pick. I will take my chances with Petrie.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This just shows how good of a drafter Petrie is. Yet some people are saying there is no guarantee of getting an all star with a top 5 pick. I will take my chances with Petrie.

Well...wrong year perhaps for that. Hawes was the obvious pick as the last man standing amongst the bigs. If Noah had been there, we take Noah. If Brandon Wright had been there, we take Wright. Etc.

The Thompson reach this offseason may actually be the better evidence. But then again, even Chris Mullin was onto that one so... :p

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Having not watched Durant play (other than against the Kings, perhaps), is he still worth picking second or so?

I thought he was a decent scorer (somewhat of a volume shooter) on a lousy team, but that was about it. For those that have watched him, does he do anything else, or is it just his scoring that puts him here???

In looking at his stats, it appears that may have been so last year, but his percentages have risen significantly this season.

A

AriesMar27

yeah... durant is good... i think that he should be one of the players that the knicks should target in 2010... lebron and durant together, damn that'd be cool to watch...

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
yeah... durant is good... i think that he should be one of the players that the knicks should target in 2010... lebron and durant together, damn that'd be cool to watch...
Durant won't be a free agent in 2010 unless the Thunder fail to pick up his fourth-year option. I don't imagine that happening.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Having not watched Durant play (other than against the Kings, perhaps), is he still worth picking second or so?
I was not then, or now a huge fan of Durant. I think he'll be a good player in the NBA, but never a great player. He scores a lot, but he shoots a lot. He's not as great an athlete as some people think he is. To me, he's a one dimensional player. For some reason, a less athletic Carmelo Anthony keeps jumping to mind.

Hey, its not my intent to degrade him. Its just that I think people have too high of expectations for him. And thats not his fault.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Kevin Martin: Age 25
36.5min 22.4pts (.446 FG% .293 3pt% .810 FT%) 2.8reb 2.9ast 1.2stl 0.2blk 2.6TO

Kevin Durant: Age 20
36.5min 22.0pts (.457 FG% .474 3pt% .860 FT%) 4.3reb 1.8ast 0.8stl 0.6blk 3.0TO

Of course this means that Kevin was worthy of being chosen second in one of the deepest drafts of a decade:D

Bricklayer

Of course this means that Kevin was worthy of being chosen second in one of the deepest drafts of a decade:D

No, while Kevin would be a Top 5 pick in most years (and anywhere from #3 to #7 in his own year) he is largely done growing better. These kids aren't.

Last edited:
I was not then, or now a huge fan of Durant. I think he'll be a good player in the NBA, but never a great player. He scores a lot, but he shoots a lot. He's not as great an athlete as some people think he is. To me, he's a one dimensional player. For some reason, a less athletic Carmelo Anthony keeps jumping to mind.

Hey, its not my intent to degrade him. Its just that I think people have too high of expectations for him. And thats not his fault.
From what I have seen over the last two years:

Offensively, he is still growing into his game. He is a pretty good scorer and will get even better as his three point range contrinues to improve. He has shown some flashes of being able to board, but those have been inconsistent and his passing is not very good.

Defensively, he is better than he gets credit for and this is where he can excel beyond Carmello. He is not getting a ton of blocks or steals yet, but he is only 20 and plays pretty good man D. It shows for the Sonics as a team too, they are second in the league in points allowed per 100 possessions. Not that that is all because of KD, but he may aleady be a better defender than Carmello.

I also have never agreed with billing Duran as a potential uber-star, I don't see the Kobe/Jordan in him. However, I think if he contines to at least improve his rebouding and defence the next couple of years he will be a high level all star who does more than just score.

Last edited by a moderator:

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I'm assuming that those are Kevin's stats from this year, which so far has not been stellar. He has been injured however, so I'm cutting him some slack.

Last year Kevin was a little better at, .456 FG%, .402 3pt%, 4.5 reb, and 2.1 assists. I wouldn't call Kevin a franchise player either. Which is the point I'm trying to make. I put Kevin in the second tier of good players. And at the moment, thats where I place Durant. Certainly no shame in that. He may prove me wrong, and kudo's to him if he does. We'll see.