SVG going to Orlando

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orlando Magic to announce contract settlement with Billy Donovan

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...60607,0,3799005.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

The Orlando Magic are expected today to announce they have reached a contract settlement with Billy Donovan, but might wait a few days to introduce his replacement. They have offered former Miami Heat Coach Stan Van Gundy a contract.

The Magic were expected to release a statement and are planning a news conference at RDV Sportsplex for later in the day with General Manager Otis Smith, but only to discuss the disolution of Donovan's contract.

Legal representatives for the club and Donovan worked late Tuesday into finalizing the deal. One of the stipulations agreed upon by both parties is that neither publicly discuss the particulars.

After officially parting with Donovan --- who asked to be released from his Magic contract less than a half day after signing it last Friday ---- the Magic are expected to name Van Gundy as their coach.

But the club might wait a few more days to introduce Van Gundy, allowing the Donovan controversy to die down .

The Magic apparently have worked through some compensation issues with the Miami Heat, who still have Van Gundy under contract for another year as a consultant. It was reported by the Sentinel that the Heat perhaps wanted a draft choice or choices from the Magic.

The Magic have just three second-round picks in the June 28 draft. The Heat do not have any second-round picks.

boo-urns to that. oh well, best of luck to SVG in orlando, at least it's a good thing for his family.

with the news that the kings haven't even contacted porter, it's looking like rambis is the front runner. to which i again say...boo-urns. :(

Magic: But we will include Disneyworld season passes for the whole Family!
Maloofs: We will come over and mow your lawn.
Stan: Screw that I'm going to Disneyworld!!

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
Why is it that even though I was never high on SVG to begin with the way this Magic thing is playing out has me really irritated that we haven't found a coach yet and even less optomistic about who we will wind up with than I already was?

YESSS!!! another one off the list. this is making it easy on the kings org to select the next coach. its just like pick up basketball when all the people get chosen and you have 2-3 scrubs left to pick from. :rolleyes:

I really don't understand why people are so upset. Van Gundy wanted Orlando more than the Kings. That's just the way it goes. Blame the fact that his family lives in Florida and Dwight Howard. Good luck to him.

There are plenty of good options available. By the way Musselman was hired on June 4th of last year. It's June 6th. This isn't really dragging on that long, we're just bored.

Last edited:
I really don't understand why people are so upset. Van Gundy wanted Orlando more than the Kings. That's just the way it goes. Blame the fact that his family lives in Florida and Dwight Howard. Good luck to him.

There are plenty of good options available. By the way Musselman was hired on June 4th of last year. It's June 6th. This isn't really dragging on that long, we're just bored.
What's not to understand? By SVG's own words the ball was in our court last weekend. He was ready to take it. We waited, the circumstances changed, and now he's going elswhere.

There are plenty of ok options, but not plenty of good options. Carlilse and SVG are the proven ones. Carlilse is probably going to Seattle, SVG to Orlando, and we are left with a crop of assistants who are unproven.

There are plenty of good options available.
And whom might that be??? I felt SVG was the most qualified candidate for the job. I'm not sold on any "assistant" coach who want the opportunity to be head coach. The only other coach I would have wanted was Terry Porter and from what I read, he wasn't given the opportunity to interview.

But it still sucks...we should have gotten SVG LAST year and not have to be in competion with another team in his 'home' state. Once again, we will be lucky to get 2nd or 3rd best of the available coaches to choose from this year. *sigh*

The thought that Petrie should have done something a week ago is not reasonable at all. Sure, if Petrie knew that Donovan was going to do what he did then maybe he would have. But the thought of that never crossed Petrie's mind. It is what it is so let's just move on. I personally wanted SVG here and nobody knows if he would have turned us around. Although on paper he seems to have the most experience we're not talking about a coaching legend here.

But it still sucks...we should have gotten SVG LAST year and not have to be in competion with another team in his 'home' state. Once again, we will be lucky to get 2nd or 3rd best of the available coaches to choose from this year. *sigh*
For the last time, Riley would not have granted permission, and SVG likely would not have left.

Here's a little timeline people. Van Gundy interviewed with Petrie in the first go round of interviews. Petrie took the top two candidates from the first round and set up second interviews with them. Van Gundy's second interview was on SATURDAY and the Maloofs were impressed. They had a second interview on SUNDAY with Rambis whom they also liked. The story broke on SUNDAY(some knew on SATURDAY) that Billy Donovan decided he wanted to back out of the deal and return to Florida. At that point all bets were off and Van Gundy wouldn't have signed a deal even if the Kings had offered one.

Can we all lay off the crack pipe now?? This isn't about "losing" our coach as there was nothing the Kings could have done to get Van Gundy.

Is this actually anything new? It says they are "expected to name" Van Gundy, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's made his final decision, no? Or perhaps I'm holding out too much hope...

and then we waited...
I believe your quotes were from the Bee's Monday edition so they probably talked to Van Gundy on Sunday(while they were interviewing Rambis) and before Van Gundy had known about the Donovan situation. Actually getting a contract done and getting both sides to sign off on it does take time.

Can we all lay off the crack pipe now?? This isn't about "losing" our coach as there was nothing the Kings could have done to get Van Gundy.

other than offer him a contract between Thursday and Sunday? Take a look at Orlando here. Their ownership was out of the country over the weekend, they are dealing with the Donavan situation, yet they were able to magically get an offer to SVG so quickly. Amazing. It's called urgency. We didn't have any.

He was never really ours to begin with, so what's all the angst about? Geez...

No kidding. I have also been entertained by the "SVG sweepstakes" kind of talk. I mean, he is SVG. He is not Phil Jackson or Pat Riley. He is a good coach, but it will not take me long to get over this........oh wait, I'm already over this.

other than offer him a contract between Thursday and Sunday? Take a look at Orlando here. Their ownership was out of the country over the weekend, they are dealing with the Donavan situation, yet they were able to magically get an offer to SVG so quickly. Amazing. It's called urgency. We didn't have any.
Exactly! The Magic had two coaches that they wanted and they made sure to get one of them. The Kings still haven't made an official public offer...the Magic got their man, we get the leftovers. Unless of course the Kings main target was someone else, but since the Kings have made no offers to anybody I find that hard to believe.

Oh, and I wouldn't hold out hope that SVG still has a chance to come here. I believe the article said they were working out the details with each other and with the Heat for a second round choice. It may take some time but that ship has sailed.

His second interview wasn't until Saturday. The Kings were not as infatuated with Van Gundy as some people on this board are and they weren't going to offer a coach a contract until he met with the Maloofs.

condescension, much?

so we didn't "lose" van gundy. he was pretty qualified. we're not getting him. i'm bummed. i will get over it in a few days. is that not allowed???
I'm not happy about this either as I wanted Van Gundy. People just need to realize that the timing for this wasn't perfect and the Orlando job is quite a bit more attractive than Sacramento.....Probably behind the Houston job as the best one available this year.

People just need to be a little more realistic as to how these things work.

You don't know that the Kings didn't offer him a contract. He may not have accepted right away.

And anyway, I don't see the wisdom in making an offer public. If something falls through (and, as we've seen, it's very possible) it makes you look like you were jilted at the altar and then your fan base is REALLY mad. If it all happens behind the scenes it's all just speculation. I like it better that way.

You don't know that the Kings didn't offer him a contract. He may not have accepted right away.

And anyway, I don't see the wisdom in making an offer public. If something falls through (and, as we've seen, it's very possible) it makes you look like you were jilted at the altar and then your fan base is REALLY mad. If it all happens behind the scenes it's all just speculation. I like it better that way.
I understand what you're saying about keeping things private and as we know Kings' upper management feels the same way. But I disagree with the reasoning, because if the Kings' publicly offered SVG the job and he declined and accepted the Orlando job instead then it's all on him. If the Kings keep it private and SVG simply takes the Orlando job it makes it seem as if the Kings didn't try hard enough...it's all on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.