DRAFT EVE TRADE MADNESS: Nets trade Mikal Bridges to the Knicks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
That's just not true. How the hell do you think Mikal Bridges was first acquired? Through a draft pick you say isn't worth gold. How about Jokić? Giannis??? Kobe??? And every player that's ever played (that wasn't undrafted)???
Ayton, Bagley, Bowie, Ellison, Milicic, and others would like a word.

I get what you are saying, but a large majority of draft picks end up just being "average" players if they are even able to get a second contract in the league. And you can bust high picks with the absolute best of intentions. So, no, draft picks aren't always worth "gold", especially in down draft years or if your GM makes the wrong decision.

The Rockets went on a insane run without Sengun maybe they view him as a stats over wins guy but I don't know he's the closest thing to Jokic in terms of skillset imo but I don't watch enough of him but trading him for KD is not the move getting a guy near there prime is better

Ayton, Bagley, Bowie, Ellison, Milicic, and others would like a word.

I get what you are saying, but a large majority of draft picks end up just being "average" players if they are even able to get a second contract in the league. And you can bust high picks with the absolute best of intentions. So, no, draft picks aren't always worth "gold", especially in down draft years or if your GM makes the wrong decision.
This is like the glass half full/empty debate.

Of course when a franchise misses on draft picks they didn’t end up being worth much. However, in the hands of more capable people — the same picks could have been gold. That’s the point. Regardless, the draft has been and still remains the most effective way to acquire talent and do so while maintaining financial flexibility.

Ask San Antonio how much draft picks are worth. They built a long dynasty with them. Ask Sam Presti, who has stockpiled a ton of picks vs giving them all away, and has managed to build a contender. Ask Danny Ainge, who has a history of acquiring many picks and using them to build contenders. I don’t recall Jerry West trading away so many picks. The Bulls dynasty wasn’t built that way, and neither was the most recent Warriors dynasty.

It goes without saying that if a GM/franchise sucks at drafting talent — the draft picks can become meaningless. But that’s all via hindsight. Before they are used, they represent opportunity. Potentially big opportunity.

How many teams/franchises can you name that have built dynasties or even just been contenders for a multitude of years by trading 4-5 draft picks for players? The list is short. And the downside is potentially really really bad if it doesn’t work out.

Lastly, I’ll re-state that the draft picks are indeed gold. Because of the leverage and options they offer. I mean, using this very trade as example, the draft picks were worth enough to someone else to land a coveted player. Who himself was part of a megatrade that landed him in Brooklyn in the first place.

The real argument is whether the 5 picks and the swap and Bojan Bogdanovic are worth more than Mikal Bridges + SRP and the salary cap ramifications. I’d argue that it’s most likely that they will be. More championship teams have been built via using draft picks over the history of the NBA than by trading away multitudes of picks for a single player. There’s not many examples to cite in an argument against.

But if Minnesota, PHX, or NYK win a title any time soon, that’ll add to the list. But kinda like the prevailing public opinion that the Dodgers need to win a multitude of titles to validate the $$$ they spent on Ohtani, Betts, Freeman, Yamamoto, etc, I see this situation quite similarly. I don’t see a single title, if it happens, being worth destroying a decade or more of opportunities. But that’s just me.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
I can see Monte taking on Simmons if It means they can get assets in a deal…..don’t even know if it’s possible because of the contract involved.

Ben Simmons is not an asset. He’s subtraction by addition with his “same story every year” clown show. I hope we would buy him out immediately if he ever ended up here.

I strongly disagree about picks not being worth gold. With all the financial restrictions lately, having just an average player on a rookie contract (particularly second round picks who make peanuts) can be invaluable to a team that is bogged down and can’t make trades. Now, you can draft busts, sure, but the picks themselves are gold. Either for yourself as an organization or as trade bait. The flexibility that a draft pick provides to a team is what makes them so valuable. OKC has amassed like 40 of them, they have all the bait they could ever want to improve an already strong team.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
This is like the glass half full/empty debate.

Of course when a franchise misses on draft picks they didn’t end up being worth much. However, in the hands of more capable people — the same picks could have been gold. That’s the point. Regardless, the draft has been and still remains the most effective way to acquire talent and do so while maintaining financial flexibility.

Ask San Antonio how much draft picks are worth. They built a long dynasty with them. Ask Sam Presti, who has stockpiled a ton of picks vs giving them all away, and has managed to build a contender. Ask Danny Ainge, who has a history of acquiring many picks and using them to build contenders. I don’t recall Jerry West trading away so many picks. The Bulls dynasty wasn’t built that way, and neither was the most recent Warriors dynasty.

It goes without saying that if a GM/franchise sucks at drafting talent — the draft picks can become meaningless. But that’s all via hindsight. Before they are used, they represent opportunity. Potentially big opportunity.

How many teams/franchises can you name that have built dynasties or even just been contenders for a multitude of years by trading 4-5 draft picks for players? The list is short. And the downside is potentially really really bad if it doesn’t work out.

Lastly, I’ll re-state that the draft picks are indeed gold. Because of the leverage and options they offer. I mean, using this very trade as example, the draft picks were worth enough to someone else to land a coveted player. Who himself was part of a megatrade that landed him in Brooklyn in the first place.

The real argument is whether the 5 picks and the swap and Bojan Bogdanovic are worth more than Mikal Bridges + SRP and the salary cap ramifications. I’d argue that it’s most likely that they will be. More championship teams have been built via using draft picks over the history of the NBA than by trading away multitudes of picks for a single player. There’s not many examples to cite in an argument against.

But if Minnesota, PHX, or NYK win a title any time soon, that’ll add to the list. But kinda like the prevailing public opinion that the Dodgers need to win a multitude of titles to validate the $$$ they spent on Ohtani, Betts, Freeman, Yamamoto, etc, I see this situation quite similarly. I don’t see a single title, if it happens, being worth destroying a decade or more of opportunities. But that’s just me.
Oh, I agree that they are worth something in trade, particularly high draft picks. But that's just it for this trade - all the picks are likely to be late first round. Those aren't worth anywhere near what high picks are worth. They aren't "gold" - if they were, it wouldn't take that many picks to get him! These are more like bronze. The GM's drafting Ayton, Bagley, Bowie, Ellison, Milicic, etc., thought they had struck "gold" as well. More like iron pyrite.

Also, instead of "gold", I think of draft picks like lotto tickets. A rare few will net you something great. A few more something good. Mostly, it's like the ticket that gets you another ticket or you win $5 cash. Not worth nearly as much as you think it might be before the drawing. And high lottery picks will cost you more than league minimum or MLE-type guys, if I recall correctly.

That's just not true. How the hell do you think Mikal Bridges was first acquired? Through a draft pick you say isn't worth gold. How about Jokić? Giannis??? Kobe??? And every player that's ever played (that wasn't undrafted)???

While I agree with you that drafting toward the end of round 1 doesn't have as high odds of success, there are still only two rounds and lots of good even great players are taken outside the lottery and into the 2nd round.

Further, building through the draft is much, much less costly on the salary cap and it comes with a decent sized window of opportunity to add via free agency when rookie contracts are still in play.

For teams like the Suns and now NY Knicks, if something unexpected occurs to one or more of their players -- they have little opportunity to recover. For a long time at that. Free agency is too expensive to rebuild, unless you are lucky and can get 2-3 players to take less to play together (e.g., Miami 2010).

And, again, we aren't talking KD or Kawhi Leonard in their primes here. Mikal Bridges isn't a player that should be commanding 5 FRP's + a 1st round swap. That's ludicrous. It's as if the GM's running these teams nowadays graduated from the fantasy ranks.
If you have to combine 15 of them they're worth how much again? lol. Also, it looks like the teams acquiring these picks are largely then using them later on to build for win now as well. Of course if something goes wrong it could be bad, but even the NBA has put in restrictions via the Stepien rule so if a team is bad bad, they'll still be getting a high pick in SOME draft.

Again, I don't think the Knicks are looking at Bridges as an individual but their team as a finished product being worth that haul. If not, yes, they have talent evaluation issues.

Ben Simmons is not an asset. He’s subtraction by addition with his “same story every year” clown show. I hope we would buy him out immediately if he ever ended up here.

I strongly disagree about picks not being worth gold. With all the financial restrictions lately, having just an average player on a rookie contract (particularly second round picks who make peanuts) can be invaluable to a team that is bogged down and can’t make trades. Now, you can draft busts, sure, but the picks themselves are gold. Either for yourself as an organization or as trade bait. The flexibility that a draft pick provides to a team is what makes them so valuable. OKC has amassed like 40 of them, they have all the bait they could ever want to improve an already strong team.
I was hoping the Kings could land him. Great risk/reward if the Kings could move players like Barnes and Huerter for him, but now that Monk is signed that means no FA run in 25 for the Kings. Also, no chance the Nets trade Simmons for salary. He's a ginormous expiring contract. Maybe he'll accept a buyout?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Woj reporting that the Blazers are trading for Deni Avdjia.

Shoot, that was a guy I liked for the Kings.

Looks like Brogan, #14, and a 2029 first. Decent package for the Wizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.