Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

Rui still isn't a winning basketball player. Lyles and TD's impact stats are a good bit better than Rui's and that's including last year when the Kings impact stats were down across the board. He's a bit like Cam Reddish where the idea of what Rui is and what Rui actually is are two completely different things. Good thing is he actually shows flashes outside of a game or two a year. Bad thing is he has to get quite a bit better to actually make our team better. I'd take a flyer on him but I'm definitely not giving up much value to do so.

If it took the same package to get either guy, you taking Vandy or Hartenstein?
You're asking me to choose between my first-born son and second-born son....

Answer is Vandy though. He showed he can actually play C, so takes care of the back-up slot behind Domas and you can obviously plug him at the 4 to be the defensive lynchpin with most of the core. Pains me to see Hartenstein being wasted on NYK

Eh, I think this is kind of a strange deal for the Lakers. Rui is someone a bad team should be taking a flier on and giving him a big role to see if he can potentially be a core developmental piece. Not someone a team trying to win now should be using assets to get
he spaces the floor a bit and didn’t really cost them much. If they go get Bojan I could see them getting back into the mix. No championship mix but enough to mess with us

Vandy please.

I would have pulled the trigger on the Rui deal. I
Think he could provide some of the physicality the Kings need (definitely have to project some things with him - buying into a role and bringing the energy every night).

Plumlee would be a good get. He was a very good backup in Denver - we could keep
Running out same offense.

Gordon Hayward would be interesting as well. I know his cap number is huge. But he could really solidify our bench.

Besides his potential I figured we could realistically obtain Rui so was interested. It didn't cost the Lakers much to get him, curious what an asking price for Vandy would be.
Vandy is a lot better, but I'm hoping this somewhat sets the market for all these role player types that are likely to get moved. Rui is kind of in the same sphere as the Plumlee/Vandy/Olynyk types that are gonna get dealt.

You're asking me to choose between my first-born son and second-born son....

Answer is Vandy though. He showed he can actually play C, so takes care of the back-up slot behind Domas and you can obviously plug him at the 4 to be the defensive lynchpin with most of the core. Pains me to see Hartenstein being wasted on NYK
No idea why the Knicks would sign Hartenstein to a fairly bug deal only to misuse him, but that's Thibs for you. Love Vanderbilt, but Hartenstein fixes a major pain point of everything going to crap when Domas sits. Vandy can play some center, but he'd mainly take PF minutes from Lyles.

I like him more as a player, but Hartenstein is a better current fit. But that's if we had to decide between them. Depending on asking price, why not trade for them both?

No idea why the Knicks would sign Hartenstein to a fairly bug deal only to misuse him, but that's Thibs for you. Love Vanderbilt, but Hartenstein fixes a major pain point of everything going to crap when Domas sits. Vandy can play some center, but he'd mainly take PF minutes from Lyles.

I like him more as a player, but Hartenstein is a better current fit. But that's if we had to decide between them. Depending on asking price, why not trade for them both?
My thinking is Vandy can be a long-term answer at the 4 with how well Keegan has adapted to being a full-time wing/being an elite elite floor spacer. Vandy doesn't give you the offense Barnes does, but I think he's damn near perfect defensive fit to clean up all the issues we have and someone who can compliment Sabonis with elite rebounding and weakside shot-blocking. Vandy also might be the only 1-5 flexible defender in the NBA. Being best friends with Fox (and I assume great friends with Monk?) also adds a great chemistry element that wouldn't disrupt what we have going on now.

In my initial valuation of Hartenstein last year was I thought you could get away with him and Sabonis playing together because of the elite elite passing and Hartenstein showing just a pinch of shooting to close the season. But with how Sabonis has basically been an MVP candidate solely at the 5, I don't think that works as a long-term solution. Maybe like 5-6 minutes a game.

But yeah, if you found a way to get both, you do it. Davion-Vandy-Hartenstein to work in off the bench as elite defenders in different lineup combinations would solve a hell of a lot of problems.

Trey has been good, but I think I'd rather try to "sell high" on his current streak because I don't think he's a long-term answer either. He doesn't really bring anything different off the bench than what Keegan or Barnes give you. Like I'd rather spend 6-7 mil on a Jae Crowder type in the off-season over giving Trey 6-7 mil

At this point I wouldn't trade with the Jazz at all. Ainge only ever makes lopsided deals in his favor. Vanderbilt will be an UFA after next season. I'd rather overpay a bit in free agency than give up too much in a trade.
I think one advantage of trading for him is you'd get him at a bargain for next year and then retain his full bird rights to keep him as we'll be an over the cap team

At this point I wouldn't trade with the Jazz at all. Ainge only ever makes lopsided deals in his favor. Vanderbilt will be an UFA after next season. I'd rather overpay a bit in free agency than give up too much in a trade.
While I've always been loyal to the Kings, I have at least followed and admired the Celtics since my university days, and the thing with Ainge was that he was absolutely amazing extracting value in trades, but the giant tradeoff was that if there was no trade partner to be found, he'd often let assets rot rather than get fair value for them when they still had any.

Rui to the lakers. He intrigued me but I don’t know if he actually moves the needle much
This actually hurts a little. This is the exact move that you want to make as a stuck contender needing scoring and size. Even if he's a stop gap, which he might be, this makes the Lakers more dangerous and shows they are at least trying to push.

He reminds me more of Raptors Rudy Gay than Harrison or Tobias really. both of those guys are primarily outside-in players rather than pre-ACL Rudy, who would prefer to eat in the midrange and work his way out despite being a really good athlete for his size. Rui’s got good size and athleticism for a 4/3 forward and occasionally flashes on the defensive end where he can guard 4-2 but to this point he’s been playing a style of basketball better suited to the early 2000s than modern spaceball but - lot of that might simply just be because of the system he’s playing in.
Yeah, I agree, I would probably throw older Gay in that convo as well with all those guys, but Gay at one point was a specimen physically and athletically. Rui is a bit more ground bound no way he's as good at rising up over defenders like Gay was. Barnes/Harris types need to create a little contact to get separation.

This actually hurts a little. This is the exact move that you want to make as a stuck contender needing scoring and size. Even if he's a stop gap, which he might be, this makes the Lakers more dangerous and shows they are at least trying to push.
I feel he's a bit redundant for us and I'm not sure I like his fit with the Lakers (for him as a growing player who wants to secure his next bag) but I hate that the Lakers are the team that is getting him. I'm sure 28 other teams that aren't the Lakers would give a similar package and you wouldn't be helping the Lakers!

I feel he's a bit redundant for us and I'm not sure I like his fit with the Lakers (for him as a growing player who wants to secure his next bag) but I hate that the Lakers are the team that is getting him. I'm sure 28 other teams that aren't the Lakers would give a similar package and you wouldn't be helping the Lakers!
I think it's a great situation for all involved. Rui is probably going to get to showcase and the Lakers need that extra piece to score. Also, while Rui is more 4 than 3, they were the last team without literally anything close to a wing so they give up one of those extra G's for a F. Win for them.