[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (NOV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap I was completely wrong on Jovic I did not think he would be NBA ready straight away but he's like a 10 year vet out there in 2 starts at C/PF (neither which he's ever played before). It's a shame it took half of Miami's roster being injured to see it and the fact that Spo refuses to play anyone over 6'6 next to Bam. For a 27th pick that's a steal right there once he gets stronger and can wreck smaller players in the post he's going to be a problem.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Antetokounmpo argues with arena worker, flings away ladder (msn.com)

I said it when y'all anointed Kevin Durant, just because he was considered the "anti-LeBron" or some s*** for 'quietly' signing an extension in Oklahoma City and got all of the pushback. I said it again when y'all handed the mantle over to Stephen Curry, because y'all decided that Durant had gotten too full of himself. I said it again when you gave it to Kawhi Leonard, when y'all decided that Steph had gotten too cocky. Then y'all soured on Kawhi, and gave it to Giannis Antetokounmpo, aka the new hotness.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

There is no such thing as a humble superstar! Show me a "humble superstar," and I'll show you a superstar who just hasn't p***ed you off yet. #ListenToMeNow #BelieveMeLaterOn

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

I said it when y'all anointed Kevin Durant, just because he was considered the "anti-LeBron" or some s*** for 'quietly' signing an extension in Oklahoma City and got all of the pushback. I said it again when y'all handed the mantle over to Stephen Curry, because y'all decided that Durant had gotten too full of himself. I said it again when you gave it to Kawhi Leonard, when y'all decided that Steph had gotten too cocky. Then y'all soured on Kawhi, and gave it to Giannis Antetokounmpo, aka the new hotness.

There is no such thing as a humble superstar! Show me a "humble superstar," and I'll show you a superstar who just hasn't p***ed you off yet. #ListenToMeNow #BelieveMeLaterOn
To be fair, in this case, the ladder was out there as part of an elaborate thing from Trezz and a bunch of the Philly staff to get Giannis to stop practicing his free throws after the game and Trez decided to try to fight Thanasis after that.

Maybe you should actually look into the story, before making bold "taeks" that are very very wrong

To be fair, in this case, the ladder was out there as part of an elaborate thing from Trezz and a bunch of the Philly staff to get Giannis to stop practicing his free throws after the game and Trez decided to try to fight Thanasis after that.
Seriously, this "ladder gate" is so silly. Anyway, why are people ignoring the context when the full video starting with Trez initiating the fight is out there?

Giannis is just classy even when dissing!

"I know some players don't play now, they want to get some extra work, want to work on their skills and stuff, and I said, obviously we can shoot together."

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Maybe you should actually look into the story, before making bold "taeks" that are very very wrong
I did. And I read Antetokounmpo's side of the story; his explanation is only a valid excuse if you were already predisposed to like him in the first place. Let that have been a player you didn't like who was disrupting the home team's arena crew so that he could get his postgame routine in, and see how fast you would have typed "entitled" or "cocky."

Go ahead and keep calling it a "bold 'taek'" all you want. Y'all called it a 'taek' when I said it about Curry, too. And about Leonard. I was right about them, and I'm right about him.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Seriously, this "ladder gate" is so silly. Anyway, why are people ignoring the context when the full video starting with Trez initiating the fight is out there?
"Initiating the fight"? Harrell had more of a right to be there than Antetokounmpo did.

Giannis is just classy even when dissing!

"I know some players don't play now, they want to get some extra work, want to work on their skills and stuff, and I said, obviously we can shoot together."
Yeah, okay. This kind of stuff is only "classy" when you like the guy.

I did. And I read Antetokounmpo's side of the story; his explanation is only a valid excuse if you were already predisposed to like him in the first place. Let that have been a player you didn't like who was disrupting the home team's arena crew so that he could get his postgame routine in, and see how fast you would have typed "entitled" or "cocky."

Go ahead and keep calling it a "bold 'taek'" all you want. Y'all called it a 'taek' when I said it about Curry, too. And about Leonard. I was right about them, and I'm right about him.
Lmao. Dude has been as good an ambassador for basketball and the NBA as you can get for like 5 years now, and Trez and Philly being classless and petty is his fault when he sticks up for himself?

Giannis was shooting FT's. Harrell did the fake tough guy act after putting up 1 pt and 2 rebounds and stole his ball. When Giannis came back with another ball, the nonsense crew put a ladder under the hoop he was shooting at. He wasn't disrupting anything, they did that to screw with him.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Well, I've never taken a stance on Giannis and "humble superstardom" and I don't intend to start today. That said, having watched the video this incident doesn't look like it would play even weakly into my consideration if I were someday to work on solidifying such a stance one way or the other. Clearly Trez was being a jerk, and the ladder should have been called for a flop.

But looking backwards, and again, not particularly taking a stance...didn't Tim Duncan fit "humble superstar" perfectly? If he didn't, I missed whatever DQed him from the title.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Lmao. Dude has been as good an ambassador for basketball and the NBA as you can get for like 5 years now, and Trez and Philly being classless and petty is his fault when he sticks up for himself?

Giannis was shooting FT's. Harrell did the fake tough guy act after putting up 1 pt and 2 rebounds and stole his ball. When Giannis came back with another ball, the nonsense crew put a ladder under the hoop he was shooting at. He wasn't disrupting anything, they did that to screw with him.

You just sound like you've been waiting for an excuse to jump at him for years and you're still so very wrong. Rough life.
Please. If that had been Zach Randolph doing it to DeMarcus Cousins, instead of Montrezl Harrell doing it to Giannis Antetokounmpo, you would have been praising him: about time the bully got bullied, blah blah blah, and this that and a third, and everything else. You're just giving Antetokounmpo the benefit of the doubt because you like him.

When Giannis came back with another ball, the nonsense crew put a ladder under the hoop he was shooting at. He wasn't disrupting anything, they did that to screw with him.
The arena crew was doing the job they get paid to do (disassemble the court) to "screw with" Antetokounmpo? Sure.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
But looking backwards, and again, not particularly taking a stance...didn't Tim Duncan fit "humble superstar" perfectly? If he didn't, I missed whatever DQed him from the title.
Like I said when people said it about Derrick Rose during his MVP season, and when they said it about Kevin Durant, just because he signed an extension with OKC without announcing it on a TV special, and then again when they said it about Kawhi Leonard, people love to call somebody "humble," when what they really mean is "quiet." Yeah, Duncan managed to avoid the spotlight, but who the hell knows what would happened if his prime had happened during the Twitter era?

I don't really think that a "humble" person would have had the forray into coaching that Duncan did, but YMMV.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Like I said when people said it about Derrick Rose during his MVP season, and when they said it about Kevin Durant, just because he signed an extension with OKC without announcing it on a TV special, and then again when they said it about Kawhi Leonard, people love to call somebody "humble," when what they really mean is "quiet."
This angle is approaching the No True Scotsman fallacy. "He's not humble, he's quiet." "He's not humble, he's shy." "He's not humble, he's an emotionless robot"... As long as you allow the definition of "humble" to float around you can't really lose the argument.
Yeah, Duncan managed to avoid the spotlight, but who the hell knows what would happened if his prime had happened during the Twitter era?
Objection! Speculation! Also, not a very weighty speculation since a lack of humility was evident in many superstars before Twitter.
I don't really think that a "humble" person would have had the forray into coaching that Duncan did, but YMMV.
Yeah, MMDV. "Wanted to try coaching like a high percentage of former players but wasn't good at it" doesn't speak to "humble" in my book.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
This angle is approaching the No True Scotsman fallacy. "He's not humble, he's quiet." "He's not humble, he's shy." "He's not humble, he's an emotionless robot"... As long as you allow the definition of "humble" to float around you can't really lose the argument.
Perhaps, but I have been consistent about this for decades, and I stand behind it. And let me be clear: I love Giannis Antetokounmpo. I defy anyone to find any posts where I say something foul about him. Bob Ryan has said that NBA players should be separated into two categories: centers and non-centers. Giannis Antetokounmpo is in my Top 5 non-centers to watch play in the league, and he damned sure ain't five. I just don't think that he's humble, because I don't think that any superstars are humble, not in the NBA or any other sport. Not in any aspect of life: if anything, I believe that humility is a barrier to greatness.

Incidentally, I also don't think that not being humble is bad, and I can't help but wonder what the Venn diagram looks like between people who think of not being humble as a negative in an athlete, and people who think that the term 'roleplayer' is an insult?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

this happens after Embiid intentionally elbows Giannis in the chest as he is driving towards the basket. Could be a boil over effect or it could not.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
It looks like they gave their 4 All-Stars the day off after their record setting performance against Houston on Sunday and the rest of that Warriors roster is NOT good. Speaking of that last game... did anyone point out yet that Curry, Thompson, and Wiggins combined for 23 made 3pt shots and our Kings still outscored them by 10 points on Sunday? I thought that was pretty funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.