Ben Simmons

I am leaning no on Simmons but I’m curious what others think. is it worth revisiting a trade for Ben? His value is at the absolute lowest and Brooklyn will likely need to dismantle this team. He can’t shoot so you have to expect that. He is however an elite defender, good rebounder and distributor.

Something like Barnes and Holmes for Ben.
The Nets free up cash and get a center they need. Barnes would be a nice fit with KD.

kings get rim protection, defensive versatility and connectivity.

The risks are obvious. Mental health, physical health and the big contract. It is for only two more years after this season however.

I am leaning no on Simmons but I’m curious what others think.

100% no.

We have spacing issues as it is w/ Fox and Sabonis.

Also, that dude might just be done. He's afraid to shoot and his FT% is under 50% and his shot looks awful.
yeh the counter might be we have even bigger defensive issues. Fox, Sabonis and KVon are never going to be elite on that end and Keegan is probably going to be more around above average. That 4 spot is going to have to be elite defensively imo if we are really going to go any where.

yeh the counter might be we have even bigger defensive issues. Fox, Sabonis and KVon are never going to be elite on that end and Keegan is probably going to be more around above average. That 4 spot is going to have to be elite defensively imo if we are really going to go any where.
fore sure, but as we saw with KZ, you cannot have a player who is less than zero on offense in the rotation. It negates the defensive upside.

Also, he hasn't even played very good defense yet. I've watch the better part of a couple Nets games. He has a flash here or there, but it's definitely no where near what it was 3 seasons ago.

fore sure, but as we saw with KZ, you cannot have a player who is less than zero on offense in the rotation. It negates the defensive upside.

Also, he hasn't even played very good defense yet. I've watch the better part of a couple Nets games. He has a flash here or there, but it's definitely no where near what it was 3 seasons ago.
yeh he isn’t returned to form yet ( if he ever will). With KZ you literally get nothing aside from defense, at least with Ben you get elite passing skills and rebounding.

in an ideal world we would find a really great defensive player who can hit 3s at 35 or above but that remains to be seen if that becomes available. There are some intriguing restricted free agents out there too, I just wonder who plans on matching. The PJs and Grants are more likely to be re-signed if I had to guess

I’d be interested at a greatly reduced price.

after all, Barnes is an expiring so we have to consider moving him. Simmons is still that other ball handler I was talking about that the Kings desperately need but spacing is indeed a major issue. If Sabonis had come around on the three ball this season I would say yes in a heartbeat. Talent for talent I say yes anyway.

I don’t see the Kings being in the Simmons business but there is a lot he can add to the team that they really need. The defensive versatility, ball handling and creation being among them…but I don’t want a ball dominant Simmons. One thing I’ve liked through all the Kings games is the ball movement and no one player pounding the air out of the ball.

Last edited:
For Barnes and Holmes (AND NOTHING ELSE) I am not sure you could say no, but the Nets would.
I'd hate every second of it, but yeah. I think moving Ben to a small-market, where the pressure would be off is exactly what he needs though and in theory he'd be that defensive lynchpin we're sorely missing.

But man has he been bad. Just one of the worst players in the NBA so far this year getting major minutes and all the aggression/explosiveness that made him special isn't there anymore.

I’d do that trade for the concept of Ben Simmons. If he gets his athleticism back, he’s everything the Kings need except for being able to hit the corner 3. With Fox’s improved shooting and the Ks killing it, the spacing could work.

Actual Ben Simmons? Hard pass at this point.
I really struggle where even "good" Simmons fits in our rotation since he never was much of a shooter. It's almost like you'd probably be rehabbing him to buy low sell high. We can't afford a non-scorer in Barnes's spot, and the second unit needs offense. So ??? I guess the other option would be sending Davion in a deal for a guy that can help on the offensive end, but holy hell is that complicating things for what is a crap shoot at best.

I really struggle where even "good" Simmons fits in our rotation since he never was much of a shooter. It's almost like you'd probably be rehabbing him to buy low sell high. We can't afford a non-scorer in Barnes's spot, and the second unit needs offense. So ??? I guess the other option would be sending Davion in a deal for a guy that can help on the offensive end, but holy hell is that complicating things for what is a crap shoot at best.
I think you would have to be banking on KH, KM and Fox being enough shooting in the starting unit. Fox since the Sabonis trade is a 38 or better shooter from 3? Is that for real? Can Keegan shoot 42 percent with super high volume? Is Huerter good for 38-40? Plus, you could slide Simmons to the 5 occasionally and run Sasha ( if you can sign him) at the 4. Thinking longer term here but I’m sure we can find more bench shooting if needed

Yes, absolutely depending on what we have to give up. I would be ok with trading any combo of players other than our top 4 (Fox, Sabonis, Kevin, Keegan). Don't think the Nets would fall for it though.

Unless his back issue is very serious, I expect Simmons to bounce back.

For Barnes and Holmes (AND NOTHING ELSE) I am not sure you could say no, but the Nets would.
Barnes and Holmes for Simmons, Day'Ron Sharpe, and 2023 unprotected 1st rd pick

Yeah I know, Nets wont do it, but only way we should consider it:

DayRon cheap young backup C to work in with Queta vs Holmes and Len will be gone next yr
I would want the pick because:
I view Simmons as a net negative and awful contract vs Barnes is short term positive and an ender for Nets
Sign Sasha to replace Metu next year

For 2023:
Fox,Mitchell,Delly
Heurter,1st Rd Pick, Monk or TD
Simmons,1st rd pick, Okpala,Ellis
Murray, Sasha, Lyles,Chima
Sabonis,DayRon,Queta

Go ahead give Udoka a Call Monte!
Udoka tells nets I'll take the job if you trade Simmons - one knucklehead is enough!

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
No. Simmons is a soup sandwich. All the talent in the world is not worth the mess that he brings. Although I can barely believe this is possible, let a more desperate team (Ahum Lakers) take that risk.

I am leaning no on Simmons but I’m curious what others think. is it worth revisiting a trade for Ben? His value is at the absolute lowest and Brooklyn will likely need to dismantle this team. He can’t shoot so you have to expect that. He is however an elite defender, good rebounder and distributor.

Something like Barnes and Holmes for Ben.
The Nets free up cash and get a center they need. Barnes would be a nice fit with KD.

kings get rim protection, defensive versatility and connectivity.

The risks are obvious. Mental health, physical health and the big contract. It is for only two more years after this season however.

I am leaning no on Simmons but I’m curious what others think.
Man, I really am pulling for Ben to get over his hump, as he has the talent to really be great in this league, but I struggle to see how the rewards outweigh the risks here. I don't want to dive into the specifics of both the rewards, as well as the risks, because I think they have been digested way too often, so whatever I may say you already know, and I don't want to just repeat myself and beat my drum to an old tune.

We're just not in a position right now to take a gamble on what has been proven to be a broken record. If we were in a position similar to, oh perhaps, the Tim Duncan-era San Antonio Spurs, I wouldn't mind taking a shot, as he'd merely take up a spot at the end of the bench if things don't work out, and would have very little to no impact on the team's overall performance. But we are not in a similar position. (Sadly) we are still rebuilding.

And Ben Simmons is a risk I would avoid at all costs during a rebuild.

It will be interesting to see what happens. The mental side of the business has ended a few careers. On the other hand most people wouldn’t have touched Wiggins with a 10 foot pole and he turned it around