Keegan Murray

Agreed. Any reporting suggesting that Holmes is starting next season is likely nonsense. Mike Brown may have a sense of how he'd like to run his rotations, but I imagine he won't set anything in stone until at least training camp.
Definitely, and with all the added pieces to this team now I wouldn’t be surprised to see Brown tinker with the minutes and rotations early in the season. It’s going to take some time to see how they fit, beyond training camp and preseason.

Yeah he was arguably the Kings best player the previous 2 seasons and was on track to be even better those first 20 games. He has a long track-record of being awesome.

Also, I think people are misconstruing what we're saying. It's not "Let's start Holmes". Basically everyone thinks thats a bad idea. But 5-6 min a game with Sabonis? I don't think that's bad. Good coaches find a way to get their best players to work together.
Holmes being the best player for us tells more about the lack of talent for us rather than him being great. When it comes to him playing with Sabonis, it most likely wont work. The league is moving more and more towards maximizing spacing. We cannot give an opponent such an advantage where we play Holmes with Sabonis. Holmes has literally one strength in offense, being a pick n roll man. Sabonis as a floor spacer is a huge mismanagement of his strenghts and limits his value offensively and Holmes cant do anything else than set screens and sit on the dunker spot.

Holmes is a great backup C and a solid starting C. He isnt a player that a good playoff team would play for more than 15 minutes per game. He provides very well as a backup and if Monte can get any value for him, it would be great

I think it's fine in limited minutes and almost certainly is going to be tried for 4-5 minutes a game. Holmes is one our 7 best players and better defenders, they'll look to get him on the floor.

It's rough offensively, but I think it works pretty well on defense. Holmes is one of the best perimeter big defenders in basketball, but struggles with the beefy bois at C. Let him blow up the PnR while Sabonis handles the interior/rebounding.
I'd be interested to see Holmes cover 4's, instead of 5's, more often. It was just a couple seasons ago, that I watched him lock up Chris Paul at the end of the game for a last shot

Last edited:
Chet Holmgren's ruptured a tendon in his foot according to Sam Presti and they've announced he'll need surgery and he's out for the season.

Keegan's ROY odds keep improving!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Chet Holmgren's ruptured a tendon in his foot according to Sam Presti and they've announced he'll need surgery and he's out for the season.

Kinda looking like a four-man race between Paolo, Keegan, Ivey, and a yet-to-be-determined dark horse (because there's always at least one).

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

looks like his frailness has caught up to him early. could be completely unrelated as well but I'd like to believe his physiology is what caused this.

I wouldn't count out Mathurin, Eason or Jalen Williams either.
I could see Mathurin getting the chance to put up big numbers on their team. He'll have lots of opportunities to score there. I think it'll be tough for Eason to win ROY. Between KPJ, Green, and Smith, there's only 1 ball. If Eason wins ROY, I think it means Jabari Smith probably looks like a bust.

looks like his frailness has caught up to him early. could be completely unrelated as well but I'd like to believe his physiology is what caused this.
The question about his fragility didn't even make it to his first professional game before it was answered. Just glad we were at 4 and got Murray. If we jumped to 2 or even 1 we would have ended up with Smith or Holmgren guaranteed.

And people were bitching we passed on Ivey who also suffered an injury without really showcasing his game.

Oh, and Dyson Daniels is going to be a poor man's Josh Richardson.

I could see Mathurin getting the chance to put up big numbers on their team. He'll have lots of opportunities to score there. I think it'll be tough for Eason to win ROY. Between KPJ, Green, and Smith, there's only 1 ball. If Eason wins ROY, I think it means Jabari Smith probably looks like a bust.
Yeah I think the Mathurin profile lends itself to being in ROY contention. My list atm probably would be:

1. Paolo
2. Ivey
3. Keegan
4. Mathurin.

Could easily flip Keegan and Ivey, but I think Ivey basically gets 33+ MPG right off the bat while Keegan will have to play himself into that minutes load. My guess is we'll keep him around 26-28 MPG. And Ivey just has less competition for USG with just Cade and Bey.

Yeah I think the Mathurin profile lends itself to being in ROY contention. My list atm probably would be:

1. Paolo
2. Ivey
3. Keegan
4. Mathurin.

Could easily flip Keegan and Ivey, but I think Ivey basically gets 33+ MPG right off the bat while Keegan will have to play himself into that minutes load. My guess is we'll keep him around 26-28 MPG. And Ivey just has less competition for USG with just Cade and Bey.
I would agree with that top 4, I have a feeling unless Benn just blows up and becomes a total star by January, Paolo or Ivey will be crowned even if Keegan is low-key the most consistent rookie and the Kings have the best record between their clubs.

I would agree with that top 4, I have a feeling unless Benn just blows up and becomes a total star by January, Paolo or Ivey will be crowned even if Keegan is low-key the most consistent rookie and the Kings have the best record between their clubs.
Yeah being awarded ROY and the rookie who actually helps impact winning don't line up all the time. I'd bet on Keegan's impact being the best, but he won't have the same USG/role as Ivey/Paolo and thus worse counting stats.

Yeah being awarded ROY and the rookie who actually helps impact winning don't line up all the time. I'd bet on Keegan's impact being the best, but he won't have the same USG/role as Ivey/Paolo and thus worse counting stats.
I think the media will go all in on Paolo until someone really sets themselves apart. Especially now that Chet is out.

Well if he plays 25 minutes or so a game and we are at 500 or above by the all star break then I will be impressed.

At this time I am into my typical pre season hype. Anticipation for success like buying my league pass and it doesn’t seem a problem for me staying up after midnight watching those games (live in Ohio).

1. Paolo
2. Ivey
3. Keegan
4. Mathurin.

Never trust the Pistons though haha. They've been nearly Kings level when it comes to showcasing most of their young guys recently. I think Keegan might have a legit shot at ROY. If he's a full time starter for the team and they win games that could change things even if the productivity isn't there but I agree, Banchero has the green light on this one.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We all watched summer league, right? I mean, not to say he doesn't have a future, but Smith is far from ready.
Smith looked very raw in summer league, and some of the reservations I had about him reared their ugly heads. I still think he'll be a very solid to good player. His defense alone will keep him on the floor. But his ballhandling needs a ton of work. Right now most of his shots will be assisted, but you want more from him than stand in a corner and wait for the ball on offense. He's just going to take more time than some thought.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Never trust the Pistons though haha. They've been nearly Kings level when it comes to showcasing most of their young guys recently. I think Keegan might have a legit shot at ROY. If he's a full time starter for the team and they win games that could change things even if the productivity isn't there but I agree, Banchero has the green light on this one.
Banchero will get plenty of minutes, and he'll have the ball in his hands a lot, so he'll have a good opportunity for ROY. By the same token, I think Murray will get his share of shots with his ability to slide to the open spot on the floor, and a center like Sabonis who will find him and get him the ball. I also think that Mathurin will have a decent chance playing along side Haliburton, who will get him the ball, but also get him some easy baskets. With Ivey, it really depends on how many minutes he gets, and how quickly he can adjust to the NBA. He has some holes in his game that need fixing..

For what its worth the report I heard said it wasn't because of his frame.

Apparently LeBron got a steal midcourt and Chet was there to contest him on the break and as he landed his foot gave out.

There's also a report floating, Jamal Crawford confirmed this himself. Well i'll just post his tweet;