Basketball Cards

Good show Keegan. Get in on his basketball cards now. This guy will be GOOOOOD.. I am snapping up about 5 or so of his autograph low pop (less than 100 made of the variation). I did the same on Trae Young when I knew he was going to be a stud and have cards that I bought for 150-200 that are now worth $10,000..... Only buy low pop autograph cards. You will not be disappointed. Joe Burrow as well. Cant get an auto rookie for less than $1000 and I paid like $50 for some of them.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Good show Keegan. Get in on his basketball cards now. This guy will be GOOOOOD.. I am snapping up about 5 or so of his autograph low pop (less than 100 made of the variation). I did the same on Trae Young when I knew he was going to be a stud and have cards that I bought for 150-200 that are now worth $10,000..... Only buy low pop autograph cards. You will not be disappointed. Joe Burrow as well. Cant get an auto rookie for less than $1000 and I paid like $50 for some of them.
do you buy the Panini cards?

Attachments

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I collected a lot in the 90s, but stopped until about 2015. The way they do cards now is so much different than before. You will have 10 different versions of the same card, some with autographs, some with only a couple. I own two of the four Flawless Alek Manoah (dude is a stud) cards that have two diamonds in it! I have 4/4 and 2/4. I have a ton of Joe Burrow cards, and have a few Mahomes, Herbert, Tagovailoa rookies. But since 2015. I bought a LOT more this year than I normally do because the stock market is way down and I am using these for investments. I don't think there will be a card crash like there was in the 90s with all those junk sets because there are different versions of each card, with the number being made of each one lower and lower from the base. It makes the base more valuable when you don't make as many of that, plus a bunch of different variations. Check out my Burrow collection.

Attachments

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I collected a lot in the 90s, but stopped until about 2015. The way they do cards now is so much different than before. You will have 10 different versions of the same card, some with autographs, some with only a couple. I own two of the four Flawless Alek Manoah (dude is a stud) cards that have two diamonds in it! I have 4/4 and 2/4. I have a ton of Joe Burrow cards, and have a few Mahomes, Herbert, Tagovailoa rookies. But since 2015. I bought a LOT more this year than I normally do because the stock market is way down and I am using these for investments. I don't think there will be a card crash like there was in the 90s with all those junk sets because there are different versions of each card, with the number being made of each one lower and lower from the base. It makes the base more valuable when you don't make as many of that, plus a bunch of different variations. Check out my Burrow collection.
did you purchase those cards individually or did you buy packs? I used to be a big card collector in the 90s, I regret selling off my Pokemon cards. I had a holographic Charzard in mint condition among many other rare cards. Also was in on Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon and Dragonball Z. Never invested in Sports cards but it's something I'd like to maybe invest in if there is a good return for it.

did you purchase those cards individually or did you buy packs? I used to be a big card collector in the 90s, I regret selling off my Pokemon cards. I had a holographic Charzard in mint condition among many other rare cards. Also was in on Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon and Dragonball Z. Never invested in Sports cards but it's something I'd like to maybe invest in if there is a good return for it.
Now is a good time to buy if you’re looking to get in. Card value has dropped from what it was 2-4 months ago.

what are you collecting now?
Mostly football cards, I’ll buy packs and some boxes, different panini variations like prizm, mosaic, certified, contenders, donruss for the most part. Some individual cards if I find that I can flip em for more. This past year I was doing a lot of buying and selling, was a lot of work and too be honest not all that lucrative.

My friends and I bought one of those panini cases recently. Best thing we got was a Hali rookie. Flushing $$$
It definitely can be. I’ve pulled a couple cards from boxes and packs valuable enough to give false hope but it can be a slippery slope.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Mostly football cards, I’ll buy packs and some boxes, different panini variations like prizm, mosaic, certified, contenders, donruss for the most part. Some individual cards if I find that I can flip em for more. This past year I was doing a lot of buying and selling, was a lot of work and too be honest not all that lucrative.

It definitely can be. I’ve pulled a couple cards from boxes and packs valuable enough to give false hope but it can be a slippery slope.
what was the most valuable card that you sold?

Half and half on the Joe Burrows. I got some lucky pulls, but the base Burrow rookie cards that are graded I just bought. Same with the Autograph rookie card. I am actually selling off my pokemon as we speak. All my stuff was from XY and sun&moon. The XY stuff is crazy now. You get a XY holo charizard (not the EX one) from Evolutions and if it's a 10 you get like $2500 each from those. I have mine in for grading at PSA now. I believe I have two 10s and a 9, and the reverse holo I have two 10s I think. Never played, perfect centering, and awesome back with no chips in the blue back. But it's crazy how much graded pokemons are going for now. I have the time to wait for them to get graded. Just sent over a 77 card lot to be graded. Still have 1000s more, but I didn't want to pay 10k to get them all graded, so I sent 77 which cost me $1500 with the promotion PSA has going now, but I have to wait from 90 to 150 days to get them back.

I had a ton of unopened baseball and football cards from 1987 to 1990 (junk years) that I have been opening and taking Griffey, Randy Johnson, Belle, Justice, G Vaughn and Mo Vaughn, larry walker, Glavine, Smoltz, Maddux, Bo Jackson, Bonds, McGwire.. Just saved the ones I could sell and tossed out the common cards. I have a whole shoebox (those baseball card boxes) full of Griffey rookies. I was going to send off the upper deck rookies to be graded in the future. Sell off the rest that weren't perfect centering, and no dings. SO MUCH WORK though. I am also selling off my old Gi Joes from the 80s, with transformers, ninja turtles, and complete voltron. I was planning on moving into a smaller place so I wanted to sell off all the stuff I don't need anymore.

Per request I will send u pvt msg

Got my other two Keegan Murray cards. Forgot about the Davion Mitchell one I bought. I have 3 of Davion Mitchell. A couple autograph cards and one that's a low number psa 10 card.

Attachments

Man, some of these prices you see these days really makes me regret not taking better care of my old baseball and basketball cards. I used to collect them A LOT. My dad had a liquor store for many years, and used to sell individual packs to customers. At least 3-5 times a week, he'd bring a few packs home for both me and my brother. At one point, I had binders and containers full of cards. At a certain point, I just lost interest in actively collecting, and I never really took care of my collection since that point.

I wish I had.

A part of me actually wants to get back into the "game" (if I may call it that), but the issue is that, unlike those days, a card can be printed out in bunches, so you may have 3-5 versions of the same card. Which, in turns, decreases the value of a single card. I'm not sure if I would enjoy it as much know if I had a card that is worth only, let's say, $1,000.00 because there are 99 copies of the same card circulating out there somewhere.

Got my other two Keegan Murray cards. Forgot about the Davion Mitchell one I bought. I have 3 of Davion Mitchell. A couple autograph cards and one that's a low number psa 10 card.
Which one of those Keegs is the jewel? I'm thinking of hitting a card shop this weekend looking for some...

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Man, some of these prices you see these days really makes me regret not taking better care of my old baseball and basketball cards. I used to collect them A LOT. My dad had a liquor store for many years, and used to sell individual packs to customers. At least 3-5 times a week, he'd bring a few packs home for both me and my brother. At one point, I had binders and containers full of cards. At a certain point, I just lost interest in actively collecting, and I never really took care of my collection since that point.

I wish I had.

A part of me actually wants to get back into the "game" (if I may call it that), but the issue is that, unlike those days, a card can be printed out in bunches, so you may have 3-5 versions of the same card. Which, in turns, decreases the value of a single card. I'm not sure if I would enjoy it as much know if I had a card that is worth only, let's say, $1,000.00 because there are 99 copies of the same card circulating out there somewhere.
what was the best basketball card you owned when you collected?

what was the best basketball card you owned when you collected?
I'll be perfectly honest with you here...I don't know. I stopped collecting a very long time ago. Honestly, I don't think I have opened a pack since at least 2000.

I do recall, though, that I found a lot of good ones in my day...Jordan, Malone, Stockton, Hakeem, Bird, Magic...But, unfortunately, I won't be able to tell you what the best card I owned was.

I constantly kick myself for not knowing. For not caring enough. It pisses me off. Because I still could've had a ton of gems in my possession today.

My collection of baseball cards exceeded my collection of basketball cards, just because a pack of baseball cards was more accessible at the time than a pack of basketball cards. Well, at least a good pack of baseball cards.

But, as is the case with the basketball cards I collected, I wouldn't be able to tell you what the best baseball card I owned was.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'll be perfectly honest with you here...I don't know. I stopped collecting a very long time ago. Honestly, I don't think I have opened a pack since at least 2000.

I do recall, though, that I found a lot of good ones in my day...Jordan, Malone, Stockton, Hakeem, Bird, Magic...But, unfortunately, I won't be able to tell you what the best card I owned was.

I constantly kick myself for not knowing. For not caring enough. It pisses me off. Because I still could've had a ton of gems in my possession today.

My collection of baseball cards exceeded my collection of basketball cards, just because a pack of baseball cards was more accessible at the time than a pack of basketball cards. Well, at least a good pack of baseball cards.

But, as is the case with the basketball cards I collected, I wouldn't be able to tell you what the best baseball card I owned was.
I would suggest to not get too worked up over something that was in 2000, only time to look in the present and go from there. Are you considering buying any baseball or basketball cards again?

I would suggest to not get too worked up over something that was in 2000, only time to look in the present and go from there. Are you considering buying any baseball or basketball cards again?
I've been wrestling around with the idea for quite a while now, yes. The issue is, and going back to my original point, I am not quite sure if I would enjoy it as much now as I did back then. And, I don't think I'd enjoy the acquisition of a single card as much as I remember enjoying the opening of a pack of cards, not knowing what I was about to find inside.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I've been wrestling around with the idea for quite a while now, yes. The issue is, and going back to my original point, I am not quite sure if I would enjoy it as much now as I did back then. And, I don't think I'd enjoy the acquisition of a single card as much as I remember enjoying the opening of a pack of cards, not knowing what I was about to find inside.
I can understand this line of thinking. The whole draw of acquiring cards was the unknown of what you were getting in the pack.

I can understand this line of thinking. The whole draw of acquiring cards was the unknown of what you were getting in the pack.
Exactly...Which is why I am tempted to just go out and start buying boxes/closed packs and working with those again. But, and I hate to repeat myself, I fear that I may not enjoy it as much because the best card I find in those boxes/closed packs might not hold much value in the long run due to the simple fact of there being multiple copies/versions of the same card out there somewhere...

On that note, if you have any suggestions on way I can get back in and still enjoy the "game", please feel free to shoot them my way. This goes for you, @kingsboi as well as anyone else who wants to chime in. I do ask that you send me a DM, as I don't want to flood this thread with a bunch of gibberish that involves just two of us, if you know what I mean.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Exactly...Which is why I am tempted to just go out and start buying boxes/closed packs and working with those again. But, and I hate to repeat myself, I fear that I may not enjoy it as much because the best card I find in those boxes/closed packs might not hold much value in the long run due to the simple fact of there being multiple copies/versions of the same card out there somewhere...

On that note, if you have any suggestions on way I can get back in and still enjoy the "game", please feel free to shoot them my way. This goes for you, @kingsboi as well as anyone else who wants to chime in. I do ask that you send me a DM, as I don't want to flood this thread with a bunch of gibberish that involves just two of us, if you know what I mean.
this thread was created so you, me and anyone else who cares to join our gibberish talk about basketball cards or any other cards in general so all I can say to you is if you are only looking to buy packs for a long term investment then I'm not the one with much expertise in this area of collecting but I've seen some Luka Doncic Prizm cards go for a pretty penny and the same would go if a rookie in this years draft turns into a all-star caliber player, it's one of those things you can't really predict but collecting doesn't always have to be for profit, it can be something you enjoy and maybe pass it along to someone else who may have interest in it when the desire doesn't present itself.

this thread was created so you, me and anyone else who cares to join our gibberish talk about basketball cards or any other cards in general so all I can say to you is if you are only looking to buy packs for a long term investment then I'm not the one with much expertise in this area of collecting but I've seen some Luka Doncic Prizm cards go for a pretty penny and the same would go if a rookie in this years draft turns into a all-star caliber player, it's one of those things you can't really predict but collecting doesn't always have to be for profit, it can be something you enjoy and maybe pass it along to someone else who may have interest in it when the desire doesn't present itself.
Fair enough.

And, for all I know, I may just be overthinking it. I maybe should just start collecting cards for fun (i.e. in order to actually start a collection), and not really think about it as an opportunity to turn back around at some point, and sell a card, or a handful of cards, for profit. If anything, I probably should collect to hang onto them for the long haul, and if an opportunity to sell arises, I can just deal with it right then and there.

I used to go to Kmart when I was a kid in the 90s and buy $30 boxes of basketball cards.... naturally I was a Penny Hardaway fan so I have 90+ Penny cards that are probably worth 50 cents a piece. In the past couple years, I stop by the card section at target to see if they have any NBA basketball packs/blaster boxes just for the fun of opening packs here and there. I never really expect anything worth anything, but I wanted a Tyrese rookie card and was able to get one of those.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Fair enough.

And, for all I know, I may just be overthinking it. I maybe should just start collecting cards for fun (i.e. in order to actually start a collection), and not really think about it as an opportunity to turn back around at some point, and sell a card, or a handful of cards, for profit. If anything, I probably should collect to hang onto them for the long haul, and if an opportunity to sell arises, I can just deal with it right then and there.
indeed. I used to spend all my lunch money to go buy packs of DBZ cards and I built pages and pages worth of cards and about 5 years ago I sold the whole book but looking back, I would of rather kept them for sentimental value because those original packs that I bought over 15 years ago they go for way too much and a whole box set goes for couple of hundreds