Kings work out vet guards

As a cheap, experienced, 3rd point guard that would play hard in practice and would probably be fun to be around, Delly would be good. Possibly great. Not a guy would would want to give more than emergency hustle minutes to though.

The Kings should have a serious look at Aussie Luke Travers (60th pick this year), amazing smarts and despite average foot speed can get to any spot on the floor. The guy is similar to Joe Inglis in some regards (not the shooter, better handle) he's like a 6'6 PG/SG/SF and he killed it in his first summer league game he's way better than any of the guys the Kings want to bring in.

His game is somewhere between Giddy and Inglis imo excellent player.

Cool!

I always root for Shabazz Muhammad, when he was a teenager getting tons of attention as the top ranked player in his class, his father was a major jackass. For all the hate that Bagley's father got around here, Shabazz's was much worse.

I remember seeing a report a few weeks back that he's been trying to make his game more NBA friendly working on getting separation on his shot rather than just playing downhill

Even though I'm a bit of a Duke hater, always been a fan of Quinn Cook. I'm open to bringing all the 3pt firepower they can onboard so having the third string PG being someone with his skillset makes sense IMO.

Looks like Dellevadova shot 38% from 3 in the NBL last season maybe he's still got some tread left on the tires. stands to reason the 3rd string PG has to be able to shoot 3's..

Last edited:
Im not gonna post the highlights of Shabazz dropping 57 in the Phillipine League from last season, because the competition is poor and theres too many plays where basically the red carpets were rolled out for him to do damage at the rim..

BUT;

I saw enough to know he's not like in some old age diminished form, some of his moves from the perimeter were crisp very quick behind the back dribbles looking shifty..

That’s probably what would happen in a normal situation but it doesn’t hurt to have an emergency ball handler around in case half the team tests positive for COVID again.
yeah i was just going to make this sort of reply, that i think it's just lets grab a pg now incase of injury and when theres more to choose from, rather than someone off the scrapheap days after an injury..

It’s also not a bad idea to pay a vet to come to camp with you and then cut them right before the season. Then if you have to make an emergency pick up mid-season, there might be an option out there that can integrate quickly.

As for a young guy you can groom as a 3rd pg - hopefully that’s Matt Coleman and he’ll be in Stockton again.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
It’s also not a bad idea to pay a vet to come to camp with you and then cut them right before the season. Then if you have to make an emergency pick up mid-season, there might be an option out there that can integrate quickly.

As for a young guy you can groom as a 3rd pg - hopefully that’s Matt Coleman and he’ll be in Stockton again.
I could see giving Quetta a full-time job in Sacramento and then turning that two-way ticket over to Coleman.

Are we so far down the barrel that there are no NBA or even G-league level talent we can get? We need a deep bench PG as well as some wings.

If we are scraping that bottom, why not try for someone like Jordan Nwora who has good length, servicable defense, and a reasonable outside shot? He is yet unsigned and his last contract was a paltry 1.5M.

Also out there which may be gettable are Austin Rivers, Avery Bradley, Yuta Watanabe (my personal favorite), and even our own Jeremy Lamb.

If we need a 3rd level playmaker who can also defend, why not wait and see what happens with Schroder? Good defender and can run a team. Yeah, he could be expensive but we have other options if our BAE is outbid. Hell, Elfrid Payton is still out there too, 6'4" with 6"7" wingspan who can defend and run the point and can be repeatedly DNP without much fuss and run backup point well.

Guys like Cook and Delevadova arent going anywhere. I see no reason to fuss over them a bit. There are plenty of better options for cheap.

Currently:
Fox/Mitchell/?
Monk/Heurter/TD
Barnes/TD/Ellis (2 way)
Murray/Lyles/Metu
Sabonis/Holmes/Len/Queta (2 way)

Frankly, id ugrade Queta to a full roster spot and wave or trade len for a 3rd string PG (Rivers>Payton) unless schroder accepts BAE (which I doubt). Then try to get watanabe to back up the 3 spot. And would consider giving a 2 way to Rhoden or one if the other summer league guys.

Fox/Mitchell/Rivers (or Payton)
Monk/Huerter/TD/Ellis (2-way)
Barnes/Watanabe/TD/Rhoden (2 way)
Murray/Lyles/Metu
Sabonis/Holmes/Queta

Thats a deep team, esp when the main 9-10 man rotation will likely be
Fox/Mitchell
Monk/Huerter
Barnes/Huerter
Murray/Barnes
Sabonis/Holmes

With spot minutes for lyles, metu, watanabe and TD

David Duke Jr turned down a deal with BKN he looks explosive and maybe worth a look as a 3rd PG/combo guard
I was just looking into him cause his SL box scores have looked nice. I remember him getting a little run in season last year too. What was the deal he turned down?

Edit : Answered my own question, turned down the two-way looking for a guaranteed contract. Give him the rest of the MLE. Give Yuta Watanabe some of the BAE and I’m feeling better, dare I say good, about the depth on this team.

David Duke Jr turned down a deal with BKN he looks explosive and maybe worth a look as a 3rd PG/combo guard
Big David Duke fan. Used to watch him at Providence. I was shocked that he didnt get drafted last year.

Honestly though I dont know if he's really much of a PG at the NBA level. He's a legit 6'4" and probably more of a SG whos not really the best outside shooter. He's solid defensively and can slash and he's got a decent handle but no crazy 1st step explosion.

I guess it could work. Perhaps i'm being biased though cuz Im a fan of his.

Last edited:
Are we so far down the barrel that there are no NBA or even G-league level talent we can get? We need a deep bench PG as well as some wings.

If we are scraping that bottom, why not try for someone like Jordan Nwora who has good length, servicable defense, and a reasonable outside shot? He is yet unsigned and his last contract was a paltry 1.5M.

Also out there which may be gettable are Austin Rivers, Avery Bradley, Yuta Watanabe (my personal favorite), and even our own Jeremy Lamb.

If we need a 3rd level playmaker who can also defend, why not wait and see what happens with Schroder? Good defender and can run a team. Yeah, he could be expensive but we have other options if our BAE is outbid. Hell, Elfrid Payton is still out there too, 6'4" with 6"7" wingspan who can defend and run the point and can be repeatedly DNP without much fuss and run backup point well.

Guys like Cook and Delevadova arent going anywhere. I see no reason to fuss over them a bit. There are plenty of better options for cheap.

Currently:
Fox/Mitchell/?
Monk/Heurter/TD
Barnes/TD/Ellis (2 way)
Murray/Lyles/Metu
Sabonis/Holmes/Len/Queta (2 way)

Frankly, id ugrade Queta to a full roster spot and wave or trade len for a 3rd string PG (Rivers>Payton) unless schroder accepts BAE (which I doubt). Then try to get watanabe to back up the 3 spot. And would consider giving a 2 way to Rhoden or one if the other summer league guys.

Fox/Mitchell/Rivers (or Payton)
Monk/Huerter/TD/Ellis (2-way)
Barnes/Watanabe/TD/Rhoden (2 way)
Murray/Lyles/Metu
Sabonis/Holmes/Queta

Thats a deep team, esp when the main 9-10 man rotation will likely be
Fox/Mitchell
Monk/Huerter
Barnes/Huerter
Murray/Barnes
Sabonis/Holmes

With spot minutes for lyles, metu, watanabe and TD
I think the Bucks are gonna keep Nwora. Im pretty sure they'd match whatever offer we signed him to quite fast.