Richaun to miss rest of the ('21-'22) season

I think if there is a deal that works for Richaun we need to take it but I don't think we can completely trust anything we saw last season due to everything that was going on in his life which now seems resolved. Still as long as we don't ship him somewhere that ruins his kid situation it's best.

If Holmes was a better passer, I’d be interested in a SaHolmis lineup. But I think he’d just be under utilized. I’d think Charlotte or the Wizards would want in.

Holmes for Plumlee's partially guaranteed contract and #13?

Or in a much more optimistic deal - Holmes for Washington and #15?
If the Kings can get Plumlee alone, they need to do it. Start with Holmes on the roster next season and his value is going to plummet if he's a 14 mpg backup. Get his contract off the books now and that might give them some flexibility to use the MLE this year and/or re-sign Donte.

If the Kings can get Plumlee alone, they need to do it. Start with Holmes on the roster next season and his value is going to plummet if he's a 14 mpg backup. Get his contract off the books now and that might give them some flexibility to use the MLE this year and/or re-sign Donte.
Cap dumping Holmes would be incredibly stupid. You don't need to yet. They already have tremendous flexibility. Even if they didn't dump Holmes in the next 2 years (which seems pretty likely), the only salary on the books right now for next off-season is the 32 mil to Fox, 18 mil to Sabonis, 5 mil to Davion, and like 6.5mil for the #4 pick. or $61.5 mil overall. Holmes would bring that to $73.5 mil. Let's assume DDV gets $10 mil/season and we spend the full $10 mil MLE. Would put us at $93.5 mil that off-season and with the Salary cap being $121mil this off-season, it's safe to assume it'll be around the $125 mil range in the 23-24 off-season.

Basically, you're freeing up an extra $12 mil in FA in an off-season we'll have 30+mil to work with anyway. And that's assuming we use our full MLE and DDV gets a $10 mil contract. Which.. doesn't make sense to me. Holmes can get you a useful piece and if his price is a worse back-up only to Sabonis... keep the better player for our team to be better.

I also don't see how his value would get LOWER after being healthy and playing like normal next season. If anything, that would reaffirm teams that he's back to normal and worth the starter contract. At the end of the day, he's a damn good player on a team that needs damn good players and pushing for the playoffs. You don't just salary dump him.

Now, for a useful ender like Kleber? I'm in.

Cap dumping Holmes would be incredibly stupid. You don't need to yet. They already have tremendous flexibility. Even if they didn't dump Holmes in the next 2 years (which seems pretty likely), the only salary on the books right now for next off-season is the 32 mil to Fox, 18 mil to Sabonis, 5 mil to Davion, and like 6.5mil for the #4 pick. or $61.5 mil overall. Holmes would bring that to $73.5 mil. Let's assume DDV gets $10 mil/season and we spend the full $10 mil MLE. Would put us at $93.5 mil that off-season and with the Salary cap being $121mil this off-season, it's safe to assume it'll be around the $125 mil range in the 23-24 off-season.

Basically, you're freeing up an extra $12 mil in FA in an off-season we'll have 30+mil to work with anyway. And that's assuming we use our full MLE and DDV gets a $10 mil contract. Which.. doesn't make sense to me. Holmes can get you a useful piece and if his price is a worse back-up only to Sabonis... keep the better player for our team to be better.

I also don't see how his value would get LOWER after being healthy and playing like normal next season. If anything, that would reaffirm teams that he's back to normal and worth the starter contract. At the end of the day, he's a damn good player on a team that needs damn good players and pushing for the playoffs. You don't just salary dump him.

Now, for a useful ender like Kleber? I'm in.
You have to factor in Harrison and if Holmes plays the minutes he's projected, dumping him will become very tough over the next season or two potentially. I heard the same things about Jason Thompson, said the same things about Jason Thompson, then watched Vlade have to dump a 1st rounder with him. Now, anything can happen and if the Kings are winning at a high level and he's willing to be a limited backup then good. If not, it's going to suck. I still think the Kings needs to make sure they have wiggle room to retain whatever young players they have on the periphery as well. I'm still firmly of the opinion that the Kings need a FULL max slot to have leverage. If they have to start considering sign and trades just to make a big move then they are going to be used for leverage themselves again. Barnes has a huge cap hold. If the Kings can't dump Holmes and re-sign Donte to be a 4th G then this rebuild gets dicey and could very well likely cost them Barnes which helps nobody. Keep things flexible. Heck, look at the Thunder. They just got a dump of Green and a 1st rounder to go with him. That's where Monte can put on his finishing touches if he can't sign guys outright.

As it was, Holmes thought he was going to light FA on fire at his PEAK, and he didn't. He ended up signing with the Kings for less than he wanted. That is a concern or should be. Teams might be more willing to add someone like him via trade with one less year on his deal while able to fit him into their picture prior to the season starting.

Yeah, if they can get value for Holmes then they should go for it obviously, but I would assume if they did get value, Monte would have pulled off one of those deals at the deadline.

Holmes just turned into an albatross we’ll have to pay to give away. Fffffffffffffff
Not yet hopefully. However, when he's averaging 10-14 mpg and complaining about role, then it will get sticky. That's when picks start coming into the picture going the other way. Heck, Green just had to have a pick attached to him. Woods got dumped for a deep 1st rounder and both those guys are on steal deal enders. Better hope some value comes back player wise in the Woods deal but I doubt it. This is all assuming Monte even got any dump offers at the deadline. Holmes was shopped for sure and ended up staying so...

Not yet hopefully. However, when he's averaging 10-14 mpg and complaining about role, then it will get sticky. That's when picks start coming into the picture going the other way. Heck, Green just had to have a pick attached to him. Woods got dumped for a deep 1st rounder and both those guys are on steal deal enders. Better hope some value comes back player wise in the Woods deal but I doubt it. This is all assuming Monte even got any dump offers at the deadline. Holmes was shopped for sure and ended up staying so...
OKC gave up pick 30 in that trade. It was a cost-saving move that allowed OKC to punt their FRP down the line and DEN saved money while getting a cheap rookie contract.

Denver attached a protected 2027 first didn't they? The 30th pick is always seen as less valuable than a 2nd rounder anyway.
Yeah they gave up 30 and 2 future 2nd round picks for Green and a 2027 protected first. Really nothing more than DEN trying to save money and OKC trying to punt their draft capital down the line and consolidate a bit.

And I'm not sure I agree with that. The 30th pick makes 1.8 mil and you get the 4 guaranteed years if you want them+RFA rights. If you hit, it's a dirt cheap rotation player for 4 years. 2nd rounders are cheaper, but I feel like you often don't sign them to 4 year deals.

Yeah they gave up 30 and 2 future 2nd round picks for Green and a 2027 protected first. Really nothing more than DEN trying to save money and OKC trying to punt their draft capital down the line and consolidate a bit.
Yeah, but Green is a decent player on an ender. That already started to set the market which I already assume wasn't that hot for Holmes considering he was still here post deadline. If there is interest in Holmes then Monte better be on it.

Also, also, this tells us Hou is 100% locked on one of the 3 bigs. I don't think Ivey was super likely to go there anyway, but this gives their intention 100% clarity.
Maybe. Houston wasn't going to re-sign Wood and they want to open up more PT for Sengun so they needed to move him.

I don"t see Ivey as a realistic target for Houston but I'm not sure this move has a ton of draft implications.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Dallas gave up a whole bunch of scraps for Wood. Good for them. Let's see how he fits with Kidd and Luka now. Are they willing to fork over 100 million for Brunson?