KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably Sharpe because he’s the great unknown. But of course that also comes with the sky-high potential.
Watching the Ringer/KO'C mock and that's who he has us picking and my thought as well. But I think if he's a 3 that's more interesting than a guy who is going to get most of their minutes at guard.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Watching the Ringer/KO'C mock and that's who he has us picking and my thought as well. But I think if he's a 3 that's more interesting than a guy who is going to get most of their minutes at guard.
Him and Ivey are my guys at this point… or any of the big three if those two jump and they very well might. If Ivey shows out in workouts with that Ja Morant look after what Ja Morant has become…

Ivey’s such a weird fit but I don’t care. Figure it out later, trade him for another Sabonis. Lol

Him and Ivey are my guys at this point… or any of the big three if those two jump and they very well might. If Ivey shows out in workouts with that Ja Morant look after what Ja Morant has become…

Ivey’s such a weird fit but I don’t care. Figure it out later, trade him for another Sabonis. Lol
don't like the Ivey fit but if Monte made the pick I would have some damned high hopes. I would also feel pretty good if it's Sharpe.

I would not be surprised if those guys went in the top 3 though just because they seem like more in demand positions than PF/C.

I would be most worried about picking a bust or having regret on a guy we passed up if the top 3 are Sharpe, Ivey, Smith.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
It seems like there is already a lot of buyer's remorse on Randle's contract in NY. I rate Smith and Murray so highly because they play the en vogue brand for the position right now (as well as contribute on D). So they will have more value if things don't work here I think. And that's without getting into the fact that we already have two guys with more inside/midrange games who are questionable on defense as our top 2 players.

I'm not hearing anyone suggest that Murray won't be able to D at the NBA level or will drop 10 points in 3-pt %, just that he doesn't have the "it" factor of the guys who have been hyped all season. I guess I need to be convinced that Murray's pluses aren't real to back me off the excitement.

Anyways, watch him go 3 or something.
I wouldn't sweat it. If you look at the prospect threads before the lottery results came out, most people who have been watching college ball this season are very high on Murray. This talk about him being boring, low ceiling, and/or unimpressive is mostly coming from newcomers who are just cycling through the Youtube highlight reels as if they're gospel. Yes Banchero, Smith, Holmgren, Ivey, et al have more impressive highlight reels but they also have more extreme flaws. Murray is a player who grows on you the more you watch him. Give them 6 weeks to dig into this stuff and I suspect a lot more people will come around about Murray being a strong pick for us.

There's a chance he does go in the top 3, though I hope that doesn't happen. If Murray is out of reach, that means somebody else fell and while I have my concerns about Smith and Holmgren, they're talented enough that I don't see them being unproductive pros. The only guy who might slip that I'm strongly against is Banchero. His defense was awful this season. He can pass so he's not a total ball-stopper but then we're talking about a player who takes the ball out of Fox and Sabonis' hands without any real benefit. I don't want him anywhere near this team.

I am 95% sure Chet Holmgren will go no lower than #2 which means 5% chance "The Unicorn" goes #3. Where does that leave Kings at #4? Only marginally better than if drafting where most predicted at #7. I sure wish there was some way to get into #3 position or surely win the jackpot, IMO at #2. Holmgren would be the one player in the draft with potential to put Sac on the map with not only one of the most suffocating defenses in the paint but a killer fast break attack, even leading it up court off the rebound with long stride athleticism. ChetHolmgren.jpg It is dream, a wish. Onward to June 23rd...

I wouldn't sweat it. If you look at the prospect threads before the lottery results came out, most people who have been watching college ball this season are very high on Murray. This talk about him being boring, low ceiling, and/or unimpressive is mostly coming from newcomers who are just cycling through the Youtube highlight reels as if they're gospel. Yes Banchero, Smith, Holmgren, Ivey, et al have more impressive highlight reels but they also have more extreme flaws. Murray is a player who grows on you the more you watch him. Give them 6 weeks to dig into this stuff and I suspect a lot more people will come around about Murray being a strong pick for us.

There's a chance he does go in the top 3, though I hope that doesn't happen. If Murray is out of reach, that means somebody else fell and while I have my concerns about Smith and Holmgren, they're talented enough that I don't see them being unproductive pros. The only guy who might slip that I'm strongly against is Banchero. His defense was awful this season. He can pass so he's not a total ball-stopper but then we're talking about a player who takes the ball out of Fox and Sabonis' hands without any real benefit. I don't want him anywhere near this team.
Newcomers? How many full games have you watched year? I’ve seen 7.

See I keep hearing Ivey being tied to the Kings in each of these draft boards. Problem is people are legit thinking he is going to be Ja but I don't see that. People keep forgetting we tried to put another ball dominant guard next to Fox and said it will work and it didnt, and Hali is a better passer and far far better shooter than Ivey. In fact Ivey is basically a thicker fox, more vertically explosive perhaps, but not as fast. Id be fine with Ivey if we had traded fox and kept hali, but we didnt and should not move Fox to make a place of Ivey. Nor do i think moving mitchell to make that room is a good idea. Im really hoping we dont become the basketball equivalent of the early 2000s Detroit lions (they drafted a WR in multiple drafts back to back and we will draft PGs). We have committed on multiple front to Fox. I think with this off season to gel with Ox and work on their respective games, he will come out starting where he left off (averaging 29/7 in his last 16 since the trade)

As for Kings not being high on Murray, i think the single best fit is Jabari Smith but i honetly think he is going #1 or 2. But if he drops to 4 I'd snap him up and be extatic. BUT the likelihood is that Bonchero, Ivey or Murray will be the ones there. Bonchero has more up side but is not a good fit with ox or fox (questionable shooting, not a particularly good defender). Murray is the best fit of these 3. I could see holmgren (if drops) evolve into a Dirk type player, but i could also see him be bargniani (which is more likely). Still, im ok taking him, if he is there. But Ivey, please no more scoring point guards who cant shoot. We already have 2 of those.
I generally agree but Ivey played shooting guard at Purdue. I don’t like his fit with Fox because he is a poor defender and his shooting is just ok.

Did he elaborate? Aside from my own opinions about Murray, he seems to provide the one thing that McNair is fond of: college production.
not really. He said he had talked to a few people inside these four walls and that they were not as high on him as the consensus. It should be noted that Ham is not high on Murray himself and thinks he is Marvin Williams.

See I keep hearing Ivey being tied to the Kings in each of these draft boards. Problem is people are legit thinking he is going to be Ja but I don't see that. People keep forgetting we tried to put another ball dominant guard next to Fox and said it will work and it didnt, and Hali is a better passer and far far better shooter than Ivey. In fact Ivey is basically a thicker fox, more vertically explosive perhaps, but not as fast. Id be fine with Ivey if we had traded fox and kept hali, but we didnt and should not move Fox to make a place of Ivey. Nor do i think moving mitchell to make that room is a good idea. Im really hoping we dont become the basketball equivalent of the early 2000s Detroit lions (they drafted a WR in multiple drafts back to back and we will draft PGs). We have committed on multiple front to Fox. I think with this off season to gel with Ox and work on their respective games, he will come out starting where he left off (averaging 29/7 in his last 16 since the trade)

As for Kings not being high on Murray, i think the single best fit is Jabari Smith but i honetly think he is going #1 or 2. But if he drops to 4 I'd snap him up and be extatic. BUT the likelihood is that Bonchero, Ivey or Murray will be the ones there. Bonchero has more up side but is not a good fit with ox or fox (questionable shooting, not a particularly good defender). Murray is the best fit of these 3. I could see holmgren (if drops) evolve into a Dirk type player, but i could also see him be bargniani (which is more likely). Still, im ok taking him, if he is there. But Ivey, please no more scoring point guards who cant shoot. We already have 2 of those.
People also think Jaden is a PG, he's not, he's a play making SG. There is a difference. Here's my thought process. Originally I didn't think the Kings would really land any player that changes the course of next season immensely. If that happens it's because of Fox/Ox. That's it. However, now, they have a chance to add a piece of talent they didn't expect. People keep bashing Bagley being selected over Luka and are turning around and asking for the same thing, for the same reasons basically. If Ivey is the best at 4 and I think he is if he's there, and they'll determine that based on a lot of things, you take him. If this is going to fail it's already in the cards unless they make a blockbuster trade that reshapes the west. It could happen, wouldn't bank on it and I think taking a SG/PG that should be able to play with Sabonis better than any of the other guards since he comes from a passing big system is actually a really good fit in some major ways. The sticking point to me is if the team doesn't get that bump then you have a terrific reset with Mitchell and Ivey in your back court.

not really. He said he had talked to a few people inside these four walls and that they were not as high on him as the consensus. It should be noted that Ham is not high on Murray himself and thinks he is Marvin Williams.
He has multiple sources LOL

This org has been very tight lipped since Monte took over with maybe Dumars being the only leaker - and the leak that Jackson would be hired was inaccurate.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He has multiple sources LOL

This org has been very tight lipped since Monte took over with maybe Dumars being the only leaker - and the leak that Jackson would be hired was inaccurate.
Both the Kings PR guys left at the end of the season, the coaching staff is in flux because the head coach is still coaching the Warriors, and a bunch of the front office either left or is related to the owner. I'm really not sure who Ham's sources are but I'm not sure they're anyone of worth within the Kings organization unless Monte himself is telling Ham his entire draft board for some reason.

People also think Jaden is a PG, he's not, he's a play making SG. There is a difference. Here's my thought process. Originally I didn't think the Kings would really land any player that changes the course of next season immensely. If that happens it's because of Fox/Ox. That's it. However, now, they have a chance to add a piece of talent they didn't expect. People keep bashing Bagley being selected over Luka and are turning around and asking for the same thing, for the same reasons basically. If Ivey is the best at 4 and I think he is if he's there, and they'll determine that based on a lot of things, you take him. If this is going to fail it's already in the cards unless they make a blockbuster trade that reshapes the west. It could happen, wouldn't bank on it and I think taking a SG/PG that should be able to play with Sabonis better than any of the other guards since he comes from a passing big system is actually a really good fit in some major ways. The sticking point to me is if the team doesn't get that bump then you have a terrific reset with Mitchell and Ivey in your back court.
I have to ask though, why is Ivey BPA? I’m not saying he isn’t, I’m just not as sure that he is. Based on last year he was most assuredly not a better player than Murray. So then it’s based on potential, but there are real holes in his game: defense, mid range, decision making and depending on opinion, his funky form on his shot. The upside is basically the explosive athleticism and ability to get to the rack. Maybe with the space the NBA offers he will just explode but he didn’t dominate college or anything.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The only thing Marvin Williams and Keegan Murray have in common is they're both 6'8" forwards with workable jump shots. Aside from that, they are absolutely nothing alike as players. What a terrible comparison. (This isn't even a Marvin Williams dig. I think the guy was underrated.)

The freaking Rudy Gay/Tobias Harris comparisons are right there for the taking but I'm guessing Ham hasn't actually watched Murray play so...

I think Ivey is a great fit on a team with shooters that needs someone to drive and dish. He has a Fox/Morant level of quickness. That team isn’t the Kings for whom he is a god awful fit. Given Monte has no sense of team fit I fully expect Monte to draft him and then get fired next year when the Kings are again awful from a poor fitting roster and no wings.

Both the Kings PR guys left at the end of the season, the coaching staff is in flux because the head coach is still coaching the Warriors, and a bunch of the front office either left or is related to the owner. I'm really not sure who Ham's sources are but I'm not sure they're anyone of worth within the Kings organization unless Monte himself is telling Ham his entire draft board for some reason.
He's like our pathetic little Sacramento version of a post-LeBron Brian Windhorst.

I just wanted to take a listen, did you happen to have a link or timestamp to the podcast?
I can’t recall which podcast it was on I listen to a bunch of the different ones and he makes appearances on several of them. I’m paraphrasing of course but he said the kings believe this is a 3 player draft and doesn’t think the kings would take Murray at 4. Not to say they don’t like him just not in that draft slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.