NBA Draft Lottery

What pick will we end up with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why do you think Banchero is a tweener? He seems like a legitimate 4 to me with point forward skills.

My biggest concern with him is his shooting. His 3pt and FT percentages are both iffy. He's actually a solid shooter when he just catches and shoots without thinking about it but as soon as he pump fakes or hesitates, he shoots well below average.
IMHO, Banchero doesn't shoot the 3 ball well enough to be the stretch 4 that the Kings would need next to Fox and Sabonis. He does not have the skill set to play the 3, which the Kings deperately need. His defense is suspect and wouldn't compliment HB and Sabonis. Offensively he will be fine, but his defense will not help fill the void we have there. IMHO, he would be a bad fit next to a Fox-Ox combo, on the Kings he would be stuck in tweener land for us.

Last edited:
I think perception has a lot to do with it. Tatum, Zion :eek:, Kyrie, Ingram kinda balances out Bagley, Okafor, and Parker. Plus Reddish, who's trending towards an average to above average career. About what you would expect for top 5 picks. Historically, the hit rate is 50/50 that you get an all star level or better player if you're drafting within the top 5.

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Ivy-League/14/Duke/31/nba-draft

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Southeastern-Conference/8/Kentucky/258/nba-draft

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Pacific-12-Conference/7/UCLA/241/nba-draft
I actually don't disagree with most of this post, and think the Duke thing gets overblown here, especially since we took Bagley. But Zion is a lot closer to Bagley, Okafor, Parker territory right now than Tatum, Kyrie, Ingram. Zion has some amazing per game stats and is a force when he is on the court, but he has shown zero ability to stay healthy and zero aptitude for defense. There is still a lot of time for that to change, and he might still be a transcendent force, but I don't think you can include him in an argument that Duke doesn't produce busts, and use him as an exhibit alongside Tatum, Kyrie, and Ingram. There is still a good chance that Zion goes the way of Greg Oden...

Let's not act like the Duke thing is just a recent phenomenon. For us it goes back at least as far as Bobby Hurley. You have Jay Williams (or whatever name he had settled on since there was 3 Jason Williams in the association at the same time), you've got Grant Hill who is probably in the Zion category of really special when healthy and playing but also failed to meet the expectations of a top 5 pick. And Kyrie is bat guano crazy.

No, I think the idea would be to get 5+Bey or Grant for 4+something? Or something along those lines. Not just straight up.
I don’t see why Detroit does that but what about Grant, Bey and and ‘23 pick swap for 4 and filler?

Sabonis Dame
Grant Lyles
Barnes Bey
DDV Davis
Fox Mitchell

that’s a pretty solid team and we could end up picking in the top 8 in a strong draft next season.

IMHO, Banchero doesn't shoot the 3 ball well enough to be the stretch 4 that the Kings would need next to Fox and Sabonis. He does not have the skill set to play the 3, which the Kings deperately need. His defense is suspect and wouldn't compliment HB and Sabonis. Offensively he will be fine, but his defense will not help fill the void we have there. IMHO, he would be a bad fit next to a Fox-Ox combo, on the Kings he would be stuck in tweener land for us.
I get the concerns, most of mine are on the defensive side of the ball too. I just think he's too much of an overall talent to pass up on. I'd draft him, let him excel and then trade him for a Sabonis level player if he was available. He would also give the Kings options. I think it would be easier to build around Banchero than Sabonis. If Banchero excels and can shoot the ball at an average rate, you could trade Sabonis, run a defensive 5 out there and start getting more standard players to build the team with instead of needing unicorns at positions to cover for multiple deficiencies.

My concern with Ivey is the same concerns I have with Fox. He seems to have a great game, but the specific holes in his game are harder to balance out on the roster. You need good shooters and defensive guys around him, and we’ve failed to do that with Fox, and also you could argue to a lesser extent, we failed to do that with Tyreke Evans.

I’m just getting tired of project guys who you’ll hope develop a great shot, only to watch them continue to be mediocre, semi-one dimensional players with the ball in their hands. This is a shooters league right now. Period.

I’d lean towards Murray right now, just because he seems like a can’t miss guy who you can plug into almost any offense and he’ll be an asset on the floor. Solid all around game, without being a weird fit with other players. We’ve just missed on so many players over the years, I don’t know if I can stomach another high potential guy that ends up as a bust. I’m good with the “safe” pick this year.

Here’s a scenario that I like:

Detroit really wants Ivey or Banchero at #4. Kings want Murray at #5.

If it’s Ivey - Holmes and #4 for Grant (hopefully Bey) and #5. If it’s Banchero - then I’d consider including DDV or Davion or TD (hopefully not Davion).

But if the Kings can come out this draft with Fox, Sabonis, Murray and Bey - then the future is bright.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Man, I barely even want Grant in a trade down scenario. 15-20 points on low efficiency because he’s on a terrible team and allowed to throw up 15+ shots a game. Does he fit on a team who’s trying to win?

I don't think Detroit would want to trade with us if they wanted Ivey.

They know the Kings are more than likely not going to draft Ivey. The only reason why they'd make the trade would be to hedge against the Kings possibly taking Ivey or trading the pick to a team that really wants Ivey.

They're like us in that they need to add to their talent pool. I definitely don't see them trading Bey to move up 1 spot in the draft.

Man, I barely even want Grant in a trade down scenario. 15-20 points on low efficiency because he’s on a terrible team and allowed to throw up 15+ shots a game. Does he fit on a team who’s trying to win?
That terrible team doesn't want him either. They tried to trade him at the deadline, but couldn't. So yeah. Not sure why Kings would want to make Grant any part of a 1st round pick swap.

That terrible team doesn't want him either. They tried to trade him at the deadline, but couldn't. So yeah. Not sure why Kings would want to make Grant any part of a 1st round pick swap.
If the rumors of them trying to trade him were true they wanted 2 first rounders for a guy that has one year left on his deal. Grant was a really good player in Denver and solid for Detroit. I think he is best as a 3rd option on a team which is what he would be here.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

They know the Kings are more than likely not going to draft Ivey. The only reason why they'd make the trade would be to hedge against the Kings possibly taking Ivey or trading the pick to a team that really wants Ivey.

They're like us in that they need to add to their talent pool. I definitely don't see them trading Bey to move up 1 spot in the draft.
The idea would be that they would trade up with us because we'd come to them with other teams' offers for our pick already in hand. Essentially, we'd be holding the draft rights to Jaden Ivey hostage and forcing the Pistons to pay a ransom for him. Could would. Probably won't.

If you trade down one and basically get him on a free it's great. You could turn around and ship Grant to Portland for 7 and take Benn or another 2/3 swing.

btw, if we did this I would declare myself King of PDX for the summer.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I would think they know the McNair doctrine by now - draft the best player available.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'd really like to know how much other teams value that #4 pick. Throw in some lower level players and the #4 for John Collins? What does a #4 get you in a young vet?

I think a scenario is that Ivey or Sharpe goes in the top 3 and Banchero or Chet falls. If so, Detroit might be significantly interested in moving up to #4 to get one of those guys as a future piece to pair with Cade. If Banchero or Chet is available at #4 then I see the pick having a lot of value and the possibility of
  • #4, Holmes, Harkless, and Len for
  • #5 and Grant
That works on trade machine. I suppose you could take Banchero or Chet with #4, but if you want to try to stay on the Fox/Sabonis timeline you could pick up a piece like Grant that fits, and then still snag Murray as a win now rookie. Murray would start the season off the bench at the 3 and 4 behind Grant and Barnes, and would then position you to sell Barnes at the deadline or be ready to move on from Barnes in the offseason.

But your rotation for this season would be solid, with the chance to make improvements depending on what you do with Barnes. You would probably squeeze Lyles/Davis if you wanted to get to an 8 or 9 man rotation.

Fox/Mitchell
DDV/Davis
Grant/Murray
Barnes/Lyles
Sabonis/Jones

Plus, you would still have guys like Holiday, Metu, Queta, and your second-round picks to fill out the bench.

The Grant/Barnes/Sabonis frontcourt, backed up by Murray/Lyles/Jones seems more win now than Barnes/Chet or Banchero/Sabonis backed up by Holiday/Lyles/Jones. Add in that I like Murray as a prospect more than Holmgren or Banchero, and I would do it.

I actually don't disagree with most of this post, and think the Duke thing gets overblown here, especially since we took Bagley. But Zion is a lot closer to Bagley, Okafor, Parker territory right now than Tatum, Kyrie, Ingram. Zion has some amazing per game stats and is a force when he is on the court, but he has shown zero ability to stay healthy and zero aptitude for defense. There is still a lot of time for that to change, and he might still be a transcendent force, but I don't think you can include him in an argument that Duke doesn't produce busts, and use him as an exhibit alongside Tatum, Kyrie, and Ingram. There is still a good chance that Zion goes the way of Greg Oden...
Health is for sure a thing, so I’m not discrediting that. But Zion has made an all star team already while someone like Bagley will likely never make one. Hence why they’re in diff categories though both suffer from the same unable to play disease.

I'd really like to know how much other teams value that #4 pick. Throw in some lower level players and the #4 for John Collins? What does a #4 get you in a young vet?
It should get a young talented vet. Trading the #4 for a vet is the only real "safe" move.

Real question. Is Collins that guy? Has he been good in the playoffs? When the Hawks get to the post season, I have to actively search for him on the court.

It should get a young talented vet. Trading the #4 for a vet is the only real "safe" move.

Real question. Is Collins that guy? Has he been good in the playoffs? When the Hawks get to the post season, I have to actively search for him on the court.
I'd have traded 7 or 8 for Collins if Murray was gone but 4 has more value imho. Even if it's just "expected" value vs. actual value. And also contract value. So no way do I do #4 for Collins.

I think a scenario is that Ivey or Sharpe goes in the top 3 and Banchero or Chet falls. If so, Detroit might be significantly interested in moving up to #4 to get one of those guys as a future piece to pair with Cade. If Banchero or Chet is available at #4 then I see the pick having a lot of value and the possibility of
  • #4, Holmes, Harkless, and Len for
  • #5 and Grant
That works on trade machine. I suppose you could take Banchero or Chet with #4, but if you want to try to stay on the Fox/Sabonis timeline you could pick up a piece like Grant that fits, and then still snag Murray as a win now rookie. Murray would start the season off the bench at the 3 and 4 behind Grant and Barnes, and would then position you to sell Barnes at the deadline or be ready to move on from Barnes in the offseason.

But your rotation for this season would be solid, with the chance to make improvements depending on what you do with Barnes. You would probably squeeze Lyles/Davis if you wanted to get to an 8 or 9 man rotation.

Fox/Mitchell
DDV/Davis
Grant/Murray
Barnes/Lyles
Sabonis/Jones

Plus, you would still have guys like Holiday, Metu, Queta, and your second-round picks to fill out the bench.

The Grant/Barnes/Sabonis frontcourt, backed up by Murray/Lyles/Jones seems more win now than Barnes/Chet or Banchero/Sabonis backed up by Holiday/Lyles/Jones. Add in that I like Murray as a prospect more than Holmgren or Banchero, and I would do it.
Chet and Banchero have question marks but there’s no doubt they have way more potential than anyone on the Kings currently and also Murray. If one of them fell the Kings 100%, no question, have to take them. Trading them for some win now pieces that’ll barely move the needle for us is such a losing strategy.

Chet and Banchero have question marks but there’s no doubt they have way more potential than anyone on the Kings currently and also Murray. If one of them fell the Kings 100%, no question, have to take them. Trading them for some win now pieces that’ll barely move the needle for us is such a losing strategy.
If Chet is falling it's because something in his medical. I hope he's off the board by the 2nd pick.

Okay the combine anthro measurements are in and Eason has Kawhi Leonard type measurements.

Hands Length 9.25 versus 9.75 (L)
Hand Width 11.00 versus 11.25 (L)
Height no shoe. 6’ 6.75” versus 6’ 6”
Standing reach 8’ 11.5 versus 8’ 10”
Wingspan 7’ 2” versus 7’ 3” (L)

I loved his defense a free throw shooting percentage before this came out. If he is available at 4 he is for sure my pick. I’m guessing he may not make it past OKC at 3.

I was waiting for this one. So that's your expectation for a #4 pick? Roll playing 3 and D? Yes he was important, but he didn't lead them to the championship. And I'd say he didn't live up to his draft potential. And I'd argue Bruce Bowen played the same roll just as well and was undrafted.