kb02 can't stop making everything about Fox (split from the Mike Brown thread)

I disagree. By the level of excitement that I see in some of the posts in this thread against kb02 and serbiangoat, I think that there are a lot of people that believe that Fox is a superstar.

Obviously, Fox is not a superstar. But ironically, he is the main reason why we didn't draft a true superstar when we had the chance (Doncic).
I don’t know anyone here who has stated fox is a superstar. Superstar potential, all star potential maybe but no one has him on the same level as lebron, Giannis, jokic, Embiid etc. He just hasn’t reached that potential and maybe never will. But someone saying he’s that level is just as bad as someone saying he’s only as good as or worse than Mo Williams or Ed sumner. The hate is just as bad if not worse than any fanboying you’re accusing people on this site. How do you go on a kings site, hate on one of their best players and not think people will stand up for them? Do it on any other fan site and you will get the same response.

I disagree. By the level of excitement that I see in some of the posts in this thread against kb02 and serbiangoat, I think that there are a lot of people that believe that Fox is a superstar.

Obviously, Fox is not a superstar. But ironically, he is the main reason why we didn't draft a true superstar when we had the chance (Doncic).
I've seen absolutely no one say that.

What most agree on is Fox absolutely has all-star ability; he's basically already there on the offensive end if he continues his trend from the last 20 games of last season (and what he did for a majority of the previous year). But he's got a ton of work to do on the defensive end and the most frustrating aspect is he show the ability to lock up when he wants to; he just doesn't put in that same effort the whole game.

I've seen absolutely no one say that.

What most agree on is Fox absolutely has all-star ability; he's basically already there on the offensive end if he continues his trend from the last 20 games of last season (and what he did for a majority of the previous year). But he's got a ton of work to do on the defensive end and the most frustrating aspect is he show the ability to lock up when he wants to; he just doesn't put in that same effort the whole game.
If the Kings can add another real talent in the draft then Barnes/Sabonis/pick might be able to take some pressure off of Fox so he doesn't have to dominate offensively and put more effort there and/or risk some fouls more often. Last season and the one before if Fox picked up quick fouls or was gassed at the end the Kings practically had no shot.

One thing I haven’t seen talked about is Fox improved his free throw percentage this year to 75 percent. If he can keep it there and bump his 3 point percentage to say 34 percent his efficiency improves. That coupled with league average defense would put him in the all star conversation

I expect to see Fox give defensive effort nightly with Brown. 1) because everyone will be doing so and 2) because he won't play if he doesn't.
if he doesn’t play defense this season I’ll probably find myself in the trade Fox camp at years end. I was always disappointed in Tyreke because I thought he should have been one of the better defenders in the league but never played it consistently

The only people that would think that are those with the anti-agenda, as any pushback against their nonsense is interpreted with a large dose of hyperbole.

IObviously, Fox is not a superstar. But ironically, he is the main reason why we didn't draft a true superstar when we had the chance (Doncic).
The reason #77 wasn’t drafted was because Vlade Divac was and is unqualified for the GM position. It had nothing to do with Fox and everything to do with incompetent decision makers.

Furrhermore, what constitutes a “superstar”? People throw that word around far too loosely. And in most cases it really doesn’t apply and/or is unearned.

Michael Jordan was a superstar. In today’s NBA, Stephen Curry, Giannis, KD and maybe a few others qualify.

The rest are just really good players, usually flawed on one end of the floor and/or not consistent clutch “go to” players. Much of their varying degrees of success depends upon the org they play for and the surrounding talent around them.

For example Devin Booker was basically the same player on 20 win teams as he is on a 64 win team. But in today’s loose fan culture he’s probably considered a “super star”.

Place De’Aaron Fox on a good team that’s in the postseason every year and suddenly he is viewed a whole lot differently by the masses.

Place De’Aaron Fox on a good team that’s in the postseason every year and suddenly he is viewed a whole lot differently by the masses.
Not really the same complaints would be there in that he's paid like a superstar while being a average starter and that's holding the team back from going further in the playoffs.

I don’t know anyone here who has stated fox is a superstar. Superstar potential, all star potential maybe but no one has him on the same level as lebron, Giannis, jokic, Embiid etc. He just hasn’t reached that potential and maybe never will. But someone saying he’s that level is just as bad as someone saying he’s only as good as or worse than Mo Williams or Ed sumner. The hate is just as bad if not worse than any fanboying you’re accusing people on this site. How do you go on a kings site, hate on one of their best players and not think people will stand up for them? Do it on any other fan site and you will get the same response.
Sumner? Now you’re lying.

if he doesn’t play defense this season I’ll probably find myself in the trade Fox camp at years end. I was always disappointed in Tyreke because I thought he should have been one of the better defenders in the league but never played it consistently
Improving his defense is the low lying fruit that everyone agrees with. It’s his style of play that is the larger issue. The worse thing that this org did was deciding to play fast. Buddy turned into a headless gunner and Fox never learned to adjust pace and play a half court game. it doesn’t matter if Fox can get 30 and Buddy can get 25 points per night, if you’re getting blown out by 30 points each night. Play a pace that gives your team the best chance to win. And now people are shifting goal posts to whether Fox is or is not seen by some as a superstar. The issue has and continues to be whether the Kings should build around him. Luka, Hali…the sooner this org shifts from can player x play with Fox to can player x play with Domas, the better.

Improving his defense is the low lying fruit that everyone agrees with. It’s his style of play that is the larger issue. The worse thing that this org did was deciding to play fast. Buddy turned into a headless gunner and Fox never learned to adjust pace and play a half court game. it doesn’t matter if Fox can get 30 and Buddy can get 25 points per night, if you’re getting blown out by 30 points each night. Play a pace that gives your team the best chance to win. And now people are shifting goal posts to whether Fox is or is not seen by some as a superstar. The issue has and continues to be whether the Kings should build around him. Luka, Hali…the sooner this org shifts from can player x play with Fox to can player x play with Domas, the better.
I just watched a couple of the best defenses get dominated by pick and roll, did you? While I'm down for more defense, that coincides with one thing, MATCHING UP. No versatility, no aggressive pick and roll switching or gameplan that fits the modern small ballers and you're f'd. And De'Aarons pretty good in that pick and roll Brown better go that route rather than attemping to limit possessions or control clock unless he can turn Sabonis into a modern day Shaq. My guess? Not gonna happen.

Sumner? Now you’re lying.
Please some of the old timers back me up here. I swear there was some guy here touting how great Ed sumner was and how Indy could trade brogdon cuz sumner was an up and coming pg going to take over in Indy. Saying he was better than fox and crap. Then he got injured and never heard from the guy again. Am I remembering correctly?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Please some of the old timers back me up here. I swear there was some guy here touting how great Ed sumner was and how Indy could trade brogdon cuz sumner was an up and coming pg going to take over in Indy. Saying he was better than fox and crap. Then he got injured and never heard from the guy again. Am I remembering correctly?
Yes, you are not wrong

Go find the proof that does not exist. I’ve always said that I like Sumner. Never said he was better than Fox. Common, Captain, help us out.

So if Monte signs Sumner, his grade goes from a C to B-. Sumner likely won't be full go till the fall, but dude is a hidden gem. Almost as fast as Fox, can play 1-3, defends, and is long. Assuming a full recovery.

And, no, I never said he was better than Fox @steelevt. I did say he had the same value as Buddy given their salaries. Yes, Buddy, the same dude who the Kings dumped as salary fodder at the deadline.

I tried that Google thing, but couldn't find anything. Though I'm sure @steelevt has already spent a few hours looking through different threads. Lolzzz.
Lol that was you that I was thinking of. I thought it was some random troll that left. I’m actually to lazy to look it up, that’s why I asked for help. If I was wrong, I apologize.

Last edited:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
So if Monte signs Sumner, his grade goes from a C to B-. Sumner likely won't be full go till the fall, but dude is a hidden gem. Almost as fast as Fox, can play 1-3, defends, and is long. Assuming a full recovery.

And, no, I never said he was better than Fox @steelevt. I did say he had the same value as Buddy given their salaries. Yes, Buddy, the same dude who the Kings dumped as salary fodder at the deadline. used to acquire Sabonis from the Pacers.
Fixed.

I think you'll be waiting forever for that guy.

Edmond Sumner the difference between a C and a B- is an interesting take though.
From the moderator of the Pacers' Real GM board. Kings would be lucky to have him if he fully recovers.

"Post#70 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:54 pm

8305 wrote:I’m excited by the Tuener/Hali pairing. Assume a little more offense is directed to Myles next year and there are more rebounds to get with more run and no Sabonis. Statistically what might Myles taking a step forward look like?
I’m a fan of effective 5th option guys. You don’t run any offense for them. They accept that and provide defense and toughness. I was intrigued by Sumner in this role but, for one reason or another it never took off. What about Terry Taylor? Saw something on the Athletic where they focused on tanking teams below the radar guys. Taylor was our guy. Thoughts on that possibility of Taylor in that role for us?​

Sumner was really playing well and taking more of a role as that season went on. The reason it never “took off” is mainly because he blew his Achilles in preseason workouts. He was certainly excelling as the 5th option defensive focused and attacking with speed option"

Others:

Post#72 » by Wizop » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:14 pm

Sumner has been rehabbing in Indy. There is a higher than zero chance he returns.

Dude is an under the radar gem: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2173872&start=60

Are you saying I should take those dreams and put on the red light? Good thing I was brought to my senses.
A small market team doesn't have the luxury of missing on second round picks and can't compete for big name free agents. One of my criteria for McNair is if he can acquire talent in non-traditional areas. Sumner, coming off an injury, would be a non-traditional acquisition.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
An "intriguing prospect" for the role of "effective 5th option" for a lotto team coming off an achilles is not really the type of play that is going to get this team into the playoffs next season.

An "intriguing prospect" for the role of "effective 5th option" for a lotto team coming off an achilles is not really the type of play that is going to get this team into the playoffs next season.
I mean, maybe you're right and the Kings don't need a dude that can defend 1 to 3 and attack downhill as a primary/secondary scorer. This current roster is stacked with talent. He would never see the court.