Time to Start Buddy?

Should Buddy be inserted into the starting lineup and who would he replace?

• Start in place of Harrison Barnes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The Kings are in a deep funk. They can't shoot, can't defend, can't rebound. It's really embarrassing.

This team is sorely lacking shooting and spacing. With basically HB and Buddy as the only real 3 point shooting threat on the whole damn team, is it time to insert Buddy in the starting line up? It can't get much worse for the Kings than it is now!

What do y'all think?

I'm thinking Buddy should be put into the starting lineup, replacing Haliburton. I think having 2 primary ball handlers in Hali and Fox in starting line up takes away from Fox's ability to dictate the pace of the game. He becomes an off the ball shooter and he can't shoot.

Hali would be less timid in scoring if he is the main option with the 2nd unit. Buddy would help mask Fox's lack of shooting with his volume bombs from 3. Leaving Harkless in for defense will help balance the starting lineup.

I think rebuilding and starting over is the best way going forward.

The core of this squad has been together a while now and I don't think playing musical chairs is going to have any real effect on winning. Some tweaks could help here and there but will they get you to .500? Doubt it. You still have the same players who aren't very good at basketball.

Fox, buddy, barnes, holmes, len.

Yes there is less shooting, but rebounding has been a bigger problem. Holmes just can't muscle the bigger centers on the boards.

Yes there is less shooting, but rebounding has been a bigger problem. Holmes just can't muscle the bigger centers on the boards.
At some point, you have to try everything. I think now is a great time to experiment - before December 15th opens the trade market.

Yes. I said this before last night's game. I go Fox, Hield, Harkless, Barnes, Holmes.

Based on Gentry's comments after the game, he's not going to stay idle with lineups that don't generate enough points. I think he increases Hield's floor time and probably starts him soon

Holmes is a plus player overall. I can name a few playoff teams that would love to have him. He is not the reason for the losing. The ball is not going through the hoop often enough, they have to find better shooting.

At some point, you have to try everything. I think now is a great time to experiment - before December 15th opens the trade market.
The Kings at full strength just lost to a Philadelphia team that was missing every starter except Tyrese Maxey. And that's not even counting Ben Simmons who may or may not play another game for the Sixers. Embiid, Harris, Green, and Curry were out. And the Kings only managed 12 points in the fourth quarter to drop to 6-12.

We could look at the fact that they are still only 2.5 games out of the 10th spot and say the goal is to do anything and everything to make the postseason, even if it's a single elimination game after squeaking into the play-in game. Or we could look at the fact that they have lost 4 straight, 8 of their last 10 and their best player is currently regressing mightily.

With December 15th coming up, at the very least the Kings should be showcasing anyone and everyone who could net anything in trade. Mo Harkless isn't that. Chimeze Metu isn't that. I like both guys, but if you have any hope of getting a return on Bagley you have to play him. Showcase Hield and see if someone will see a sparkplug that can boost their playoff chances.

Because what we saw last night is a stark reminder of the cold truth of things. This is a bad Kings team that lacks talent. If Fox doesn't get back on track I don't even see how anything other than a total rebuild is in order.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm agnostic about the question of starting Buddy. He's going to get his minutes either way, and with the way we're mixing up our guard combos throughout the game, I'm not even sure it would have a big effect on how many minutes we get of Fox/Hali vs. Fox/Buddy vs. Hali/Buddy vs. (add in Mitchell combos, etc.) - it might just have an effect on when in the game those stints come.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Start him. Fox can’t play well with Hali, at least not until one of those two becomes a consistent 3 point threat. Hali can run the show off the bench.

I’m coming around to the idea of a total rebuild although that’s a moot point with Vivek around. He’s probably texting McNair non stop about a Simmons trade so we can be a treadmill first round exit team instead of a treadmill 10th pick in the draft team.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's funny. Hield apparently went up to Doc Rivers last night and said, "Get me out of here." LOL. Reported on 1320. And it's like the guys on 1320 said, "Who the hell thinks Doc Rivers wants Buddy Hield?"

Start him. Fox can’t play well with Hali, at least not until one of those two becomes a consistent 3 point threat. Hali can run the show off the bench.

I’m coming around to the idea of a total rebuild although that’s a moot point with Vivek around. He’s probably texting McNair non stop about a Simmons trade so we can be a treadmill first round exit team instead of a treadmill 10th pick in the draft team.
well the 3 guard rotation with Fox, Hali and Mitchell doesn’t work. You can’t score or rebound ….

Lineups with Fox, Tyrese Haliburton and Mitchell have gotten outscored by about 21 points per 100 possessions. Both Mitchell and Fox are shooting under 30 percent from 3. These lineups are also getting absolutely blasted on the defensive glass, posting just a 63.6 defensive rebounding rate. It’s the team’s fourth-worst three-man lineup out of 71 possible combinations to have played at least 30 minutes.

however without Mitchell you have the old defensive issues…..

When he’s (Mitchell) out there, the Kings have allowed just 105 points per 100 possessions, a number that would be commensurate with a top-10 defense. When he’s off the court, they have the equivalent of the worst defense in the NBA.

https://theathletic.com/2960921/202...ello-franz-wagner/?source=user_shared_article

The above is what having an unclear plan does for you. 1 single more loss last year would have netted this team Franz Wagner who would have been a perfect fit. A couple more losses and we could have been in Toronto’s spot drafting 4 and possibly trading up to three for Mobley.

McNair got the job because he tells Vivek what he wants to hear … not what needs to be done.

crap Atleast we’d have a hope of the playoffs

Were in this crappy position for the very reason that we never went into a full rebuild. It appears Vivek doesn't believe in them.
even a partial rebuild…. 1 more loss would have netted us Wagner as we were tied with Orlando.

4 more losses and we would have been tied with Toronto and perhaps been 4th.

The problem is not realizing when making the play-offs is long odds and playing your young guys.

It's funny. Hield apparently went up to Doc Rivers last night and said, "Get me out of here." LOL. Reported on 1320. And it's like the guys on 1320 said, "Who the hell thinks Doc Rivers wants Buddy Hield?"
He's an elite NBA shooter. I think Doc and several other teams would love to have him as a 6th man sniper

Kingster

Hall of Famer
They are talking on 1320 about trading Hield for a 2nd rounder or maybe an expiring contract. December 15 will hopefully be an eventful day for the Kings.

He's not an elite shooter?
No.

When I think of elite shooters, I think of Reggie Miller or Larry bird. Peja might have been on the outer edges of elite. Buddy? Not even close. He’s streaky as all hell. If he gets on a roll he can do some damage. But if he’s not on, he can single handedly shoot you out of a game. Not to mention he can’t handle the ball worth an S. To me? That’s not elite.

Do you think buddy had a good game yesterday?

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
McNair got the job because he tells Vivek what he wants to hear … not what needs to be done.
Yeah, unfortunately that could be the case.

I totally agree that a full tank last year was the way to go. We’ll see what we do this year, but chances are we’ll be picking 10th again.

Ah well, at least he’s 2 for 2 in his draft picks. But I’d love to see what he’d do with a top 3 pick.

I ended up changing my vote from staying 6th man to replace Hali as a Starter
Fox,Buddy,Barnes,Metu(18min), Holmes -starters
Hali,Mitchell,Harkless or TD(Depending on if we need Defense or Scoring),Bagley(30min), Len or TT (depending on matchups)-Bench

No.

When I think of elite shooters, I think of Reggie Miller or Larry bird. Peja might have been on the outer edges of elite. Buddy? Not even close. He’s streaky as all hell. If he gets on a roll he can do some damage. But if he’s not on, he can single handedly shoot you out of a game. Not to mention he can’t handle the ball worth an S. To me? That’s not elite.

Do you think buddy had a good game yesterday?
So your definition is the handful of greatest shooters of all time. I think he's among the best shooters currently in the NBA

I am not a fan of trading Buddy unless it is a great package. He is one of the only bright spots this year and many times the reason we have won games.