Alvin Gentry next to coach Kings

I highly doubt he'll be our long-term coach, but how does Gentry keep getting coaching gigs? He's been underwhelming everywhere he's been.

With that being said, if he can inspire some confidence with these guys for the rest of the year, that'll be a lot more than Luke Walton has done.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I highly doubt he'll be our long-term coach, but how does Gentry keep getting coaching gigs? He's been underwhelming everywhere he's been.

With that being said, if he can inspire some confidence with these guys for the rest of the year, that'll be a lot more than Luke Walton has done.
I feel like Gentry’s Pels tenure looks way better in hindsight since he got stuck dealing with AD wanting to leave and David Griffin being terrible at everything.
His Suns tenure also saw the end of the Nash era and also the Suns owner is terrible by every criteria.
I don’t think Gentry’s a great coach by any means but he’s not Luke bad.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Does anyone know what kind of lineups Gentry used to run? I am over the small ball lineups....
My take has been that he has been sort of a Chameleon, taking on a different style based in part on the players but also imprint of the coaching staff. His stint in Phoenix was his most successful as HC and he pretty much brought back D' Antonie's offensive schemes and kept Porter's defensive schemes. It worked as well as that crew could pull it off. But given most of his time at the helm was with the Clippers and Pels the sampling is tragically skewed. Maybe the best hope is that he actually learns and grows with each assignment.

I don't expect it to be all that great but this is actually a more normal, functional move for all you guys who think Bobby and Christie were the move.

Fans of normal organizations don't look to hire "legends" at every turn and their fans don't clamor for it.

They think the fact that Doug Christie was even a conversation at all is wild.
I personally am not into legends at all for position of head coach. Christie so much more than a Kings legend if one wants to simply give him that. Dude is one tough SOB (Kings current roster lacks toughness), a stalwart defense first mindset (King current roster not known for D) and Christie can communicate with players having been there done that to know exactly what it takes to excel at the highest level. I'm OK with Gentry as interim as long as Christie sitting right next to him on the bench until end of the season. Then next year, we'll see.

I don't expect it to be all that great but this is actually a more normal, functional move for all you guys who think Bobby and Christie were the move.

Fans of normal organizations don't look to hire "legends" at every turn and their fans don't clamor for it.

They think the fact that Doug Christie was even a conversation at all is wild.
I just don’t agree with this. The kings aren’t going to hire Bobby or Christie because they are legends. If they hired them it would be because they felt they could do the job.

If you ask Nba fans, there have been about 15 good coaches in league history and everyone else sucks.

Not a fan but we shall see if anything actually changes here. I still think this was the perfect time to call up Bobby. The main reason being if Gentry is still just an extension of Luke then you have about a 2 week window to see if there is ANYTHING that comes from this move. If not, you've pretty much given yourself one option and that's to blow up the roster and find a new coach in a search where Bobby is probably your only decent option anyway.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I am going to briefly delurk to unleash a ferocious SMH and remind everybody one more time why this fanbase is so tortured:

Of 37 years of Kings basketball, the Sacramento Kings have been in the bottom half of the league defensively 31 of the 37 years. They have been in the bottom half of the league defensively for 16 (SIXTEEN) straight years since firing Adelman.

Now you are going to place Alvin Gentry in charge of the league's least defensive, and not coincidentally least successful franchise. Here are the ranks of Alvin's scoring defenses as a head coach (full year only) for the past 15 years:

19-20 NOP 27th in NBA
18-19 NOP 27th in NBA
17-18 NOP 29th in NBA
16-17 NOP 17th in NBA
15-16 NOP 26th in NBA
-----------
11-12 PHX 21st in NBA
10-11 PHX 29th in NBA
09-10 PHX 26th in NBA

Maybe the old man surprises and reinvents himself, but ever since being exposed to Mike D'Antoni, uptempo defenseless play has been his trademark, and if he's had any more success than the average Sacramento coach it has solely been due to the presence of several first ballot HOFs on his rosters. His teams with A.D. in the middle and Jrue Holiday at the point, STILL couldn't stop anybody. It's because he valued running and scoring above all else. Which puts him solidly in the 37 year long tradition of the Sacramento Kings.

Good luck guys.

I just don’t agree with this. The kings aren’t going to hire Bobby or Christie because they are legends. If they hired them it would be because they felt they could do the job.

If you ask Nba fans, there have been about 15 good coaches in league history and everyone else sucks.
They hired Vlade as GM solely because he was a Kings legend and that was good PR, who then got Peja and all these brought into the mix. The franchise has been running on cronyism for some time now.

The top comment I saw from a Jazz fan was that he expected Kings fans to be breathing a sigh of relief that it wasn't Christie. There's no way he could fathom that Kings fans would not only be disappointed, but were leading the charge to have Christie as coach.

I don’t think I have faith in Gentry holding players accountable. I thought BJax and DC would. If Gentry just continues what Walton has been doing then that would suck so bad.
Exactly. The time to make an experienced sidekick who has been iffy in terms of success in his career was last season when they had a chance at the playoffs and were in the mix. Now they basically put Gentry in a very tough, tough spot where he's 100 yards behind in the race at the start. This will be interesting because it will either be a mega boost from day 1 or utter fail. I think Monte went the safe route again, we'll see if it works.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I am going to briefly delurk to unleash a ferocious SMH and remind everybody one more time why this fanbase is so tortured:

Of 37 years of Kings basketball, the Sacramento Kings have been in the bottom half of the league defensively 31 of the 37 years. They have been in the bottom half of the league defensively for 16 (SIXTEEN) straight years since firing Adelman.

Now you are going to place Alvin Gentry in charge of the league's least defensive, and not coincidentally least successful franchise. Here are the ranks of Alvin's scoring defenses as a head coach (full year only) for the past 15 years:

19-20 NOP 27th in NBA
18-19 NOP 27th in NBA
17-18 NOP 29th in NBA
16-17 NOP 17th in NBA
15-16 NOP 26th in NBA
-----------
11-12 PHX 21st in NBA
10-11 PHX 29th in NBA
09-10 PHX 26th in NBA

Maybe the old man surprises and reinvents himself, but ever since being exposed to Mike D'Antoni, uptempo defenseless play has been his trademark, and if he's had any more success than the average Sacramento coach it has solely been due to the presence of several first ballot HOFs on his rosters. His teams with A.D. in the middle and Jrue Holiday at the point, STILL couldn't stop anybody. It's because he valued running and scoring above all else. Which puts him solidly in the 37 year long tradition of the Sacramento Kings.

Good luck guys.
I am guessing that if/when Monte replaces Gentry with D'Antoni you gong to come back with another rant... lol

I always notice gentry showing a lot of expression on the bench when we miss a def assignment or do something wrong. Hope he holds people accountable. Moreso I hope he has a rotation that goes something like this.

Fox
Hali
Barnes
Bagley
Holmes

Rook
Buddy
Harkless/king
Metu / trist
Len / Jones

With starters getting staring min and bench getting bench min. Buddy 6th man min, rook getting rook min. He's not ready yet. Off too suspect

19-20 NOP 27th in NBA
18-19 NOP 27th in NBA
17-18 NOP 29th in NBA
16-17 NOP 17th in NBA
15-16 NOP 26th in NBA
-----------
11-12 PHX 21st in NBA
10-11 PHX 29th in NBA
09-10 PHX 26th in NBA

Good luck guys.
They want to get into the play in, and unfortunately in todays game the offensive side might get it done if that's their short term goal.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

19-20 NOP 27th in NBA
18-19 NOP 27th in NBA
17-18 NOP 29th in NBA
16-17 NOP 17th in NBA
15-16 NOP 26th in NBA
-----------
11-12 PHX 21st in NBA
10-11 PHX 29th in NBA
09-10 PHX 26th in NBA

Good luck guys.
He won’t surprise. We’re still a talentless roster with a slightly less worse coach than Walton. Good think I’m (and most of us now) are just used to it. Lmaoooo

I always notice gentry showing a lot of expression on the bench when we miss a def assignment or do something wrong. Hope he holds people accountable. Moreso I hope he has a rotation that goes something like this.

Fox
Hali
Barnes
Bagley
Holmes

Rook
Buddy
Harkless/king
Metu / trist
Len / Jones

With starters getting staring min and bench getting bench min. Buddy 6th man min, rook getting rook min. He's not ready yet. Off too suspect
If he goes back to the big lineup that never went anywhere then he's not paying attention and this won't go anywhere either. The only thing that could come from that is you showcase Bagley, he plays well, builds a market, and you either overpay or watch him leave on a high while he used your minutes to do it.

They hired Vlade as GM solely because he was a Kings legend and that was good PR, who then got Peja and all these brought into the mix. The franchise has been running on cronyism for some time now.

The top comment I saw from a Jazz fan was that he expected Kings fans to be breathing a sigh of relief that it wasn't Christie. There's no way he could fathom that Kings fans would not only be disappointed, but were leading the charge to have Christie as coach.
I highly doubt Christie would even accept that job. No way. Bobby was courtside with Vivek the other night and has been working his way up. He coached the SL team to a title. If anyone is actually being groomed it's him.