Predict the Starting Lineup / Rotation

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Well, after a wild offseason of rumors and speculation, we have our GM saying we’re set. Neither Buddy or Bagley are gone (yet?) and … not a lot else happened. Lets take our early guesses at how we think the rotation will break down.

Starters

Fox
Hali
Buddy
Barnes
Holmes

I think there are four locks in the starting rotation. The SF space could be up for grabs with Buddy or Harkless. I don’t think there’s any way Walton screws this up and keeps Hali a bench guy.

Bench

1 Davion
2 TD

I love this combo off the bench. We’ve seen what Davion can bring, it will be exciting to see him against true NBA’ers coming up. TD is also feisty. I think this pair will be fun when they’re together.

Swingman is either Buddy or Harkless, and probably lots of three guard lineups as well.

Then our backup big situation… TT, Metu, Len, Bagley. Is Bags even going to earn time this year (if healthy)? The ship may have finally sailed on this one. Can Metu play as a large 3 and go swingman? Len and Bagley might by effective together as at least Len provides a giant body in the paint to cover for Bags’ anti-defense. I honestly don’t even know what TT brings to the table at this point.

GLeague Fodder

Swag Ramsey
Woodward
Terry
Queta

I like Ramsey and Queta to be potential contributors down the line. I’m sour or Woodward at this point, and Terry could be a hustle 13th man but isn’t going to make any major differences.

Did I forget anyone? What say y’all?

Last edited:
I think your starters are correct, unless they try and start Bagley and hope he doesn’t well early to bolster trade value. But they’ve tried that before, lol.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I think your starters are correct, unless they try and start Bagley and hope he doesn’t well early to bolster trade value. But they’ve tried that before, lol.
Holmes and Bagley just don’t work together, especially on the defensive end. We gave Holmes the contract, so it’s time to play to his strengths. Can’t see any way Bagley just walking into a starting spot again.

The lineup I'd like to see: Fox, Hali, HB, Metu, Holmes

The lineup I think we will see: Fox, Hali, HB, Bags, Holmes (w/a real chance it's Buddy instead of Hali; i.e., last year's lineup).

Well, after a wild offseason of rumors and speculation, we have our GM saying we’re set. Neither Buddy or Bagley are gone (yet?) and … not a lot else happened. Lets take our early guesses at how we think the rotation will break down.

Starters

Fox
Hali
Buddy
Barnes
Holmes

I think there are four locks in the starting rotation. The SF space could be up for grabs with Buddy or Harkless. I don’t think there’s any way Walton screws this up and keeps Hali a bench guy.

Bench

1 Davion
2 TD

I love this combo off the bench. We’ve seen what Davion can bring, it will be exciting to see him against true NBA’ers coming up. TD is also feisty. I think this pair will be fun when they’re together.

Swingman is either Buddy or Harkless, and probably lots of three guard lineups as well.

Then our backup big situation… TT, Metu, Len, Bagley. Is Bags even going to earn time this year (if healthy)? The ship may have finally sailed on this one. Can Metu play as a large 3 and go swingman? Len and Bagley might by effective together as at least Len provides a giant body in the paint to cover for Bags’ anti-defense. I honestly don’t even know what TT brings to the table at this point.

GLeague Fodder

Swag Ramsey
Woodward
Terry
Queta

I like Ramsey and Queta to be potential contributors down the line. I’m sour or Woodward at this point, and Terry could be a hustle 13th man but isn’t going to make any major differences.

My guess is they might use the following lineup before a trade of Buddy, Bagley, C + pick for Simmons or someone else:
Fox, Buddy, Barnes, Holmes, Len (or Thompson)

That way we showcase Buddy and a Center for a trade. We also need Buddy for spacing playing non-stretch bigs. After a trade:
Fox, Hali, Barnes, Holmes + Simmons/player we traded for playing 3-5 depending on his position.

Last edited:
Terry is exhibit 10, but yeah, him and Matt Coleman III should get Gleague mins with the others you listed.

You missed King, who I would not be surprised to see get some burn based on talent and current wing depth.

Fox
Buddy
Hark
Barnes
Holmes

Would love to see King replace Hark sometime this season.

Bench 3-guard
Davion
TD
Ty
Bagley (Metu after glass breaks)
TT

Would live to see Len get TT's mins.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Oh yeah, King. We’ve been fooled by wings into thinking they were talented before. He could play into the swing rotation. Or he can go all Troy Williams and the guy we and the Rockets cut last season who looked good for a minute.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Oh yeah, King. We’ve been fooled by wings into thinking they were talented before. He could play into the swing rotation. Or he can go all Troy Williams and the guy we and the Rockets cut last season who looked good for a minute.
DaQuan Jeffries.

Starters:

Fox
Buddy
Barnes
Bagley
Holmes

Bench:

Davion
Haliburton
Davis
Metu
Tristan/Len (they do the typical Walton play 2-3 games, take 2-3 Whiteside style.

Curious who is vaccinated and who isn’t. If Fox isn’t going to get vaccinated again I start

Mitchell
Haliburton
Barnes
Metu/King
Holmes.

bring off the bench
Buddy ( his real role)
Fox
Bagley
Metu/King
Thompson

Starters

Fox
Hali
Buddy
Barnes
Holmes

Bench

1 Davion
2 TD

GLeague Fodder

Swag Ramsey
Woodward
Terry
Queta

Not to mention the roster is widely unbalanced.

Holmes and Bagley just don’t work together, especially on the defensive end. We gave Holmes the contract, so it’s time to play to his strengths. Can’t see any way Bagley just walking into a starting spot again.
we have a ton of pieces that don’t fit well together. I don’t think you can play Fox and Mitchell together either. Nor can you play Buddy and Bagley. Everyone will blame Walton but this roster is badly unbalanced and ill-fitting and that isn’t the coaches fault.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
we have a ton of pieces that don’t fit well together. I don’t think you can play Fox and Mitchell together either. Nor can you play Buddy and Bagley. Everyone will blame Walton but this roster is badly unbalanced and ill-fitting and that isn’t the coaches fault.
Okay I’ll bite, why wouldn’t Fox and Mitchell work?

mitchell is a team player, he would gladly play off-ball and learn how to if he doesn’t know how. He just wants to win

I'm more excited about King than I've been about pretty much any of our non-1st round in the last 10 years. He's got to show it obviously at the NBA level, but the skill-set as summer league was absolutely elite as it gets; big wing with great athleticism and a long wing-span, C&S and off-the dribble shooter, can create off his own bounce, can just shoot over guys. Him, Ramsey and Metu showed A LOT of exciting attributes for off-ball wing slots at the 2-3-4. I think McNair stacking the developmental slots after it being largely ignored for the last 15 years is one of his biggest wins so far in his tenure. It's pretty easy to see if they continue to develop how you can slot them in next to the main core of Fox/Hali/Mitchell/Holmes/Barnes

Okay I’ll bite, why wouldn’t Fox and Mitchell work?
neither shoots well enough. Teams will go under the screens on both guards and dare the Kings to shoot.

They will hurt each other’s strength which is penetrating into the paint. Both players want to drive and dish or pull-up but neither is really a top notch catch and shoot spot-up shooter. Mitchell and Fox are also both poor free throw shooters. They don’t complement each other well at all.

now could either of them improve? Sure but right now they both have the same weakness which is perimeter shooting. You really need Buddy or Hali on the floor with one of them.

I might have to go with Fox/Hali/Harkless/Barnes/Holmes

In theory, that's what you want in today's NBA. Two 6'8"/6'9" combo forwards who can switch and have perimeter skills. Albeit with the caveat the Harkless isn't really talented or good enough. But he started for Portland (and L.A.) no less than a few seasons ago.

But Fox/Hali/Buddy/Barnes/Holmes is the most talented group, but I don't know how long we can keep up the charade that Buddy can be a full-time SF.

Barnes/Bagley/Holmes is just outdated, Bagley can ruin a defense with or without Buddy's help, the whole reason he hits the bench is because every team will run small-ball these days, which Bagley is the antithesis of.

mitchell is a team player, he would gladly play off-ball and learn how to if he doesn’t know how. He just wants to win
It has nothing to do with what he wants to or doesn’t want to do. Every player wants to be a 40% plus catch and shoot player.

Fit is about putting together combinations whose strengths match each other. Fox and Mitchell have much the same strengths in terms of dribble penetration and pull up 10-15 footers. Both are better playing offensively with players who can catch and shoot well and create space. Hali and Hield both created space for Fox. Swag and King created space for Mitchell. Neither likely will create space for each other.

I'm more excited about King than I've been about pretty much any of our non-1st round in the last 10 years. He's got to show it obviously at the NBA level, but the skill-set as summer league was absolutely elite as it gets; big wing with great athleticism and a long wing-span, C&S and off-the dribble shooter, can create off his own bounce, can just shoot over guys. Him, Ramsey and Metu showed A LOT of exciting attributes for off-ball wing slots at the 2-3-4. I think McNair stacking the developmental slots after it being largely ignored for the last 15 years is one of his biggest wins so far in his tenure. It's pretty easy to see if they continue to develop how you can slot them in next to the main core of Fox/Hali/Mitchell/Holmes/Barnes
i agree. You really need one of King/Metu to be able to stretch the floor and play good defense. Barnes can swing to 3 or 4 so if one can step up it would be great.

It has nothing to do with what he wants to or doesn’t want to do. Every player wants to be a 40% plus catch and shoot player.

Fit is about putting together combinations whose strengths match each other. Fox and Mitchell have much the same strengths in terms of dribble penetration and pull up 10-15 footers. Both are better playing offensively with players who can catch and shoot well and create space. Hali and Hield both created space for Fox. Swag and King created space for Mitchell. Neither likely will create space for each other.
Fox shot 40% from 3 in catch & shoot opportunities last season. And if memory serves, Mitchell shot over 40% from 3 in catch & shoot opportunities at Baylor last season. Where they struggled was off the dribble.

While not the starting lineup, I think this one will be the most prominent and the one to close out games:

Mitchell
Fox
Hali
Barnes
Holmes

As for starting lineup:

Fox
Hali
Barnes
Holmes
(Whoever is hot atm - Mitchell/Buddy/Bagley/Thompson/Harkless)

Fox shot 40% from 3 in catch & shoot opportunities last season. And if memory serves, Mitchell shot over 40% from 3 in catch & shoot opportunities at Baylor last season. Where they struggled was off the dribble.
39.3. 7th best on the team versus Hali at 43.8 or Davis at 43.2. Buddy only shot 39.6 but at 6.3 attempts per game versus 1.5. Hali had 2.8 attempts and Davis 3.5.

of starting guards who played at least 40 games Fox has one of the lowest C&S made 3 point field goals in the league

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/catch-shoot/?Season=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular Season&sort=CATCH_SHOOT_FG3M&dir=1&PlayerPosition=G&StarterBench=Starters&CF=GP*G*40&PerMode=Totals

Mitchell remains to be seen but by historical college FT% has a much higher predictive value of 3 point success than college 3 point percentage.