[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

dude12

Hall of Famer
Vrenz Blaijenburgh….last name probably spelled incorrectly, went undrafted because the only way to get out of his contract is to have a guaranteed contract here and no one was willing to do that. Outside shot maybe it’s him?

Vrenz Blaijenburgh….last name probably spelled incorrectly, went undrafted because the only way to get out of his contract is to have a guaranteed contract here and no one was willing to do that. Outside shot maybe it’s him?
Just because 25 years ago we were ahead of the NBA showing we could pronounce Stojaković doesn't mean they have to do this to us.

Kings, Clippers, Warriors showing trade interest in Siakam | The Sacramento Bee (sacbee.com)

Kings general manager Monte McNair is looking to make a major move with eyes on some of the biggest prizes in the NBA trade market.

Multiple sources tell The Sacramento Bee the Kings have shown interest in both Ben Simmons and Pascal Siakam, the two most prominent names linked to Sacramento since the trade and free agency frenzy began. Some remain skeptical the Kings can pull off that kind of deal, but McNair wants to make a major move as pressure to win begins to build within the organization 11 months after he was hired, sources said.

Talks could pick up this week, with all 30 teams convening in Las Vegas, where the Kings will play the Charlotte Hornets in their summer league opener at 3 p.m. Monday at UNLV’s Thomas & Mack Center. Outside the organization, there is a perception that Sacramento’s new front office is already “feeling the heat” from Kings owner Vivek Ranadive.

No real news here, Simmons very unlikely, Toronto only "listening to offers"
but thought it was interesting comment on perception of Vivek pressure on front office

Kings, Clippers, Warriors showing trade interest in Siakam | The Sacramento Bee (sacbee.com)

Kings general manager Monte McNair is looking to make a major move with eyes on some of the biggest prizes in the NBA trade market.

Multiple sources tell The Sacramento Bee the Kings have shown interest in both Ben Simmons and Pascal Siakam, the two most prominent names linked to Sacramento since the trade and free agency frenzy began. Some remain skeptical the Kings can pull off that kind of deal, but McNair wants to make a major move as pressure to win begins to build within the organization 11 months after he was hired, sources said.

Talks could pick up this week, with all 30 teams convening in Las Vegas, where the Kings will play the Charlotte Hornets in their summer league opener at 3 p.m. Monday at UNLV’s Thomas & Mack Center. Outside the organization, there is a perception that Sacramento’s new front office is already “feeling the heat” from Kings owner Vivek Ranadive.

but thought it was interesting comment on perception of Vivek pressure on front office
And that is how mistakes are made. Vivek is a mistake that won't stop giving. He seems to need a good hard look in the mirror. He and that one gal are the one contstants.

I suspect Vivek is desperate not to set the record for futility and is enhancing his reputation as short term Vivek.

Bagley, Buddy and 2 firsts for Siakam and a second rounder is probably what it takes. It’s a good trade for both teams IMO. The Raps can flip Buddy at the deadline for another first rounder and rebuild Bagley potentially signing him to a reasonable deal. They go into ‘22 with Barnes, Fred, OG, Trent and 3 first round picks in the draft. For the Kings a lineup of:

Fox Off Night
Hali Davis
Barnes Mo
Siakam Metu
Holmes TT Len

that group probably makes the playoffs.

I suspect Vivek is desperate not to set the record for futility and is enhancing his reputation as short term Vivek.
Vivek should know you'll be remembered how you finish not where you start. I have a feeling despite his instrumental role busting both the Red Sox and Chicago Cubs curse-droughts, Theo Epstein is going to leave one of the most complicated legacies among fans of both teams and the sport of the current era.

But in local terms, see the Maloofs.

Bagley, Buddy and 2 firsts for Siakam and a second rounder is probably what it takes. It’s a good trade for both teams IMO. The Raps can flip Buddy at the deadline for another first rounder and rebuild Bagley potentially signing him to a reasonable deal. They go into ‘22 with Barnes, Fred, OG, Trent and 3 first round picks in the draft. For the Kings a lineup of:

Fox Off Night
Hali Davis
Barnes Mo
Siakam Metu
Holmes TT Len

that group probably makes the playoffs.
Think I'd feel better if it was one pick lotto protected especially if/when Bagley blows up for them. Only because I am very nervous of big men and injuries and not sure where we are with Siakam right now. Jeeez, imagine if Bagley gets passed his injury woes and we trade for a guy that misses 15-20 games a season the next few years? yikes.

Think I'd feel better if it was one pick lotto protected especially if/when Bagley blows up for them. Only because I am very nervous of big men and injuries and not sure where we are with Siakam right now. Jeeez, imagine if Bagley gets passed his injury woes and we trade for a guy that misses 15-20 games a season the next few years? yikes.
its a risk a franchise like this has to take IMO. We took the safe pick in this draft and all our our hopes ride on Fox and Haliburton which might not be enough. We don’t have any future assets really aside from what should be mid first or further back picks.

Most concerning thing is Vivek already putting heat on people. Unless it's Walton, that's insane.
This isn't really new information, though. We already know that Vivek is pressuring his front office and his coaching staff to make the playoffs. If tanking was in the cards, we would have seen dividends last season. Instead, the Kings sought the play-in, failed, and ended up with the 9th pick. As currently constructed, they'll end up with a pick no higher than that this season. Tanking is no longer particularly viable, so Monte McNair better be angling for a trade that can hoist the Kings into legitimate playoff contention. It would make no sense whatsoever to bring back Richaun Holmes, add Davion Mitchell, and hope that a rookie alone is the difference maker off the bench.

Personally, I would have preferred a tank at the end of last season that put the Kings into draft position for Scottie Barnes, but that didn't happen. If the plan is to compete and win and "change the culture," then Monte needs to execute that plan, rather than function as yet another Kings GM who keeps one foot in the youth movement and one foot in the playoff push. Reports that he's aggressively pursuing the likes of Pascal Siakam and Ben Simmons are encouraging to me, because those reports indicate that Monte does have a plan.

Of course, it's a high-risk plan dependent entirely on another GM saying "yes," but at least Monte sees the need for a versatile two-way wing that can complete the starting line-up and vault the Kings into the playoffs. As pointed out above, a potential starting five of Fox/Haliburton/Barnes/Siakam/Holmes, with Mitchell as your first guard off the bench, probably makes the playoffs. And their ages are 23/21/29/27/27, with a mature, capable 22-year-old rookie serving as a sixth man. That's a great top-6 with a combination of youth, athleticism, speed, offense, defense, at-the-rim scoring, outside shooting, high basketball IQ, and veteran savvy, all under 30.

Can that potential lineup grow together enough to compete for a title? Eh, probably not. The West remains a gauntlet. But that's still a fun, exciting team that I'd love to watch in at least the first and second rounds of the playoffs. This franchise has gotta start somewhere after a decade-and-a-half away from anything resembling success. And who knows? With the right breaks due to matchups, opponent injuries, and the eventual decline of Lebron James, maybe such a roster finds their way to the conference finals.

Again, it's all dependent on Monte convincing another GM to say "yes," but free agency has rarely been kind to the Kings and the draft is forever a crap shoot. The trade market was always the Kings best hope for immediate improvement this off-season. And it's usually not until summer league that off-season trading really kicks into gear, after rosters have settled a bit from draft day and the open of free agency. So we'll just have to wait and see if Monte's willing to take the kind of risks via trade that small market franchises often have to take in order to compete.

This isn't really new information, though. We already know that Vivek is pressuring his front office and his coaching staff to make the playoffs. If tanking was in the cards, we would have seen dividends last season. Instead, the Kings sought the play-in, failed, and ended up with the 9th pick. As currently constructed, they'll end up with a pick no higher than that this season. Tanking is no longer particularly viable, so Monte McNair better be angling for a trade that can hoist the Kings into legitimate playoff contention. It would make no sense whatsoever to bring back Richaun Holmes, add Davion Mitchell, and hope that a rookie alone is the difference maker off the bench.

Personally, I would have preferred a tank at the end of last season that put the Kings into draft position for Scottie Barnes, but that didn't happen. If the plan is to compete and win and "change the culture," then Monte needs to execute that plan, rather than function as yet another Kings GM who keeps one foot in the youth movement and one foot in the playoff push. Reports that he's aggressively pursuing the likes of Pascal Siakam and Ben Simmons are encouraging to me, because those reports indicate that Monte does have a plan.

Of course, it's a high-risk plan dependent entirely on another GM saying "yes," but at least Monte sees the need for a versatile two-way wing that can complete the starting line-up and vault the Kings into the playoffs. As pointed out above, a potential starting five of Fox/Haliburton/Barnes/Siakam/Holmes, with Mitchell as your first guard off the bench, probably makes the playoffs. And their ages are 23/21/29/27/27, with a mature, capable 22-year-old rookie serving as a sixth man. That's a great top-6 with a combination of youth, athleticism, speed, offense, defense, at-the-rim scoring, outside shooting, high basketball IQ, and veteran savvy, all under 30.

Can that potential lineup grow together enough to compete for a title? Eh, probably not. The West remains a gauntlet. But that's still a fun, exciting team that I'd love to watch in at least the first and second rounds of the playoffs. This franchise has gotta start somewhere after a decade-and-a-half away from anything resembling success. And who knows? With the right breaks due to matchups, opponent injuries, and the eventual decline of Lebron James, maybe such a roster finds their way to the conference finals.

Again, it's all dependent on Monte convincing another GM to say "yes," but free agency has rarely been kind to the Kings and the draft is forever a crap shoot. The trade market was always the Kings best hope for immediate improvement this off-season. And it's usually not until summer league that off-season trading really kicks into gear, after rosters have settled a bit from draft day and the open of free agency. So we'll just have to wait and see if Monte's willing to take the kind of risks via trade that small market franchises often have to take in order to compete.
I guess my concern is if Monte's job is at risk or if it's just Vivek wants some kind of big move to happen.

Arguably the biggest move could/would have been a coaching change but ok whatever.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I'm sold on Siakam to the point where I wouldn't mind throwing in two picks. It's probably an overpay considering his salary but we're going nowhere with Bagley and Buddy. Siakam isn't going to be a #1 option on a playoff team but we have Fox as our #1 option. Siakam can create from the wing, he's a decent passer, and he's a plus defender who can handle bigger wings and most big men so he fits multiple areas of need for us. Regardless of ownership pressure, it is time for this franchise to do something besides hoping and waiting that we have enough to sneak into a play-in seed. And I really think we should try to leverage the Lakers' interest in Buddy somehow to get that extra asset.

I don't think anyone saw the addition of Chris Paul catapulting the Suns all the way to the Finals. Injuries played a big role in that but bold moves can pay off. The only real risks here are: (1) we still can't take the playoffs even with Siakam which I think is very unlikely (2) Bagley blows up and we gave him away essentially for a lesser player -- but even then I wouldn't be bothered if he's a top 10 scorer unless he does a full 180 on the defensive end, which I also think is unlikely. He needs to be on a team like Toronto with multiple strong wing defenders around him to really maximize his value.

I'm sold on Siakam to the point where I wouldn't mind throwing in two picks. It's probably an overpay considering his salary but we're going nowhere with Bagley and Buddy. Siakam isn't going to be a #1 option on a playoff team but we have Fox as our #1 option. Siakam can create from the wing, he's a decent passer, and he's a plus defender who can handle bigger wings and most big men so he fits multiple areas of need for us. Regardless of ownership pressure, it is time for this franchise to do something besides hoping and waiting that we have enough to sneak into a play-in seed. And I really think we should try to leverage the Lakers' interest in Buddy somehow to get that extra asset.

I don't think anyone saw the addition of Chris Paul catapulting the Suns all the way to the Finals. Injuries played a big role in that but bold moves can pay off. The only real risks here are: (1) we still can't take the playoffs even with Siakam which I think is very unlikely (2) Bagley blows up and we gave him away essentially for a lesser player -- but even then I wouldn't be bothered if he's a top 10 scorer unless he does a full 180 on the defensive end, which I also think is unlikely. He needs to be on a team like Toronto with multiple strong wing defenders around him to really maximize his value.
You bring up some fair points but I have to say as far as the Suns are concerned, Ayton was suspended for a large part of the 2019-2020 campaign and then returned to help them go undefeated in the bubble only to still miss out of the playoffs. So people were definitely sleeping on Phoenix regardless.

I'd be less concerned with the two picks if we didn't also just throw in Bagley and used him for another piece, or we got a second player in return that wasn't a total throw in or another second rounder who will never get out of Stockton (someone who would sit behind Barnes but ahead of Harkless, not sure if Toronto has that to spare).

When it comes to Bagley, if teams insist he be a "throw in" then they shouldn't also be demanding picks. We have other guys that can match salaries, expire next year, etc. So basically teams are saying no no, we really see value here but also asking for rock bottom price. Frustrating.

Also wrt Bagley, it seems like we finally have enough "center only" depth that he at least has a position if he plays with us next year, and that's the 4 spot. I am somewhat ok with trying to give him an outsize role to start the season and see if he is worth keeping around or rehab trade value, but I guess this is counter to our win now instead of develop the highest pick we've had in 3 decades approach our organization has settled on.

Giving up future picks gives would have us lose out on future talent. We actually have a GM that drafts well (after how many years?).
Imagine this team without Ty and Off-Night?

Outside the organization, there is a perception that Sacramento’s new front office is already “feeling the heat” from Kings owner Vivek Ranadive.

I don't even know what this means. Outside the organization could be an internet forum of people who think McNair is feeling the heat from Vivek. How would people outside the organization even know?

Outside the organization, there is a perception that Sacramento’s new front office is already “feeling the heat” from Kings owner Vivek Ranadive.

I don't even know what this means. Outside the organization could be an internet forum of people who think McNair is feeling the heat from Vivek. How would people outside the organization even know?
See what happened was Monte called up one of the teams and said "listen, my 3 bosses are breathing down my neck about a trade or something. Got anything in the way of back up bigs or 6'1 guards?"

Let's assume the Kings can't pull off any more trades this offseason and go in with the roster as is. What lineup do y'all expect the Kings to roll out?

Fox Mitchell
Hali Davis
Buddy Mo
Barnes Bags Metu
Holmes TT Len

or

If we take Buddy off the bench, Davis gets squeezed out unless they play him at backup SF with his length.

Fox Mitchell
Hali Buddy
Barnes Davis MO
Bagley Metu
Holmes TT Len

Or his Ty still coming off the bench?

Fox Mitchell
Buddy Haliburton
Barnes Davis Mo
Bagley Metu
Holmes TT Len

or are we going really small?

Fox Buddy
Hali Davis
Mitchell Mo
Barnes Bagley Metu
Holmes TT Len

Let's assume the Kings can't pull off any more trades this offseason and go in with the roster as is. What lineup do y'all expect the Kings to roll out.
Fox Mitchell
Hali Davis
Buddy Mo
Barnes Bags Metu
Holmes TT Len

???

If we take Buddy off the bench, Davis gets squeezed out unless they play him at backup SF with his length.

Fox Mitchell
Hali Buddy
Barnes Davis MO
Bagley Metu
Holmes TT Len

Fox Mitchell
Buddy Haliburton
Barnes Davis Mo
Bagley Metu
Holmes TT Len
Was actually just wondering the same thing over lunch. I sincerely hope Halliburton is starting for good, which means you roll out Fox/Halliburton/Barnes/Homes as the everyday starters, and then I figure you either go with Hield or Bagley with Barnes sliding between forward spot depending on whether you want to go small or big based on matchups. Another move to consolidate wouldn't hurt, though.

The only redline for me if we roll with the current roster is that Bagley and Hield can’t both be in the starting line up. One of them starting could make sense. But I think we need to stagger them for defensive purposes.

Let's assume the Kings can't pull off any more trades this offseason and go in with the roster as is. What lineup do y'all expect the Kings to roll out?

Fox Mitchell
Hali Davis
Buddy Mo
Barnes Bags Metu
Holmes TT Len

or

Fox Mitchell
Hali Buddy
Barnes Davis MO
Bagley Metu
Holmes TT Len

Fox Mitchell
Buddy Haliburton
Barnes Davis Mo
Bagley Metu
Holmes TT Len

or are we going really small?

Fox Buddy
Hali Davis
Mitchell Mo
Barnes Bagley Metu
Holmes TT Len
If I got to run the lineups:

Fox
Hali
Buddy
Barnes
Holmes

Mitchell
TD
King
Metu
Bagley

Len/Harkless used situationally as needed. TT is injury bench depth.

What I think probably ends up happening:

Fox
Hali
Barnes
Bagley
Holmes

with
Mitchell
TD
Buddy
Harkless || TT
Len || TT

TT probably works in at the back-up 4 depending on match-ups and over Len at the 5 in certain slots. Metu and King aren't in the rotation to start the year.