Coin flip day today.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
lucky #9 it is, well at least for now. In that range I’d be looking carefully at both Garuba and Giddey.
If Ham is correct about using the pick as part of a trade package, then I’d sure like an idea of veteran trade targets.
Some rim protection sounds pretty good

The guy who got them there left the next year because he felt the whole team was soft and didn't care enough about winning.
That's besides the point. The T-Wolves at least got that guy to come in and play for them and they made the playoff. That's something the Kings failed to do for 15 years and counting.

do you honestly think the Kings are a player away? Hell does anyone on this board think the Kings, who don’t have a TPE and can’t sign more than a MLE think we are a mid level exception player away?
Away from the playoffs? Nope. Unless that player was Chris Paul. But he ain’t coming for the MLE.
Away from the playins? It’s possible. 1 player can add 2-3 wins which would have got us in. You never know though what another season of building team chemistry and a good quality player might get you.

I see “KAT and Russell are losers” and I counter with... so are Fox and Buddy and Bagley and everyone not named Barnes for those seasons he rode behind Curry and Klay. If they can’t build behind them why should we think we can build anything with our equally loser core?
Well KAT has been around for damn near a decade, that's the difference. Fox is nowhere near a loser, just joining a rebuilding team that didn't even start building around him until 2019 or so. It's not the same at all

Oh and KAT has already choked in the playoffs

Am I the only one that has appreciation for how good the Kings are at being bad? A 15 year playoff drought is no easy feat.

Anyway, like pdx, I'm happy the Kings slotted at 9 instead of 10. Why? I don't really know. Maybe because we are next to NO, and it seems like we've been swirling in the direction less winds with them ever since Tyreke signed there. I hope they don't abandon us like the Suns did this year.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Am I the only one that has appreciation for how good the Kings are at being bad? A 15 year playoff drought is no easy feat.

Anyway, like pdx, I'm happy the Kings slotted at 9 instead of 10. Why? I don't really know. Maybe because we are next to NO, and it seems like we've been swirling in the direction less winds with them ever since Tyreke signed there. I hope they don't abandon us like the Suns did this year.
At least they have a plan. It won’t be this year, but in 7 years when we’re still gunning for that sweet sweet play-in they’ll be loaded with 800 1st rounders and might be good. Lol

lucky #9 it is, well at least for now. In that range I’d be looking carefully at both Garuba and Giddey.
If Ham is correct about using the pick as part of a trade package, then I’d sure like an idea of veteran trade targets.
Using that pick as part of a trade package at this point would be almost pointless. There's no real value there and/or pieces out there on the market that could remotely be considered "the" missing piece. Committing to Walton was enough of a gamble and Barnes was that gamble guy trade piece already, anything more and they are simply setting themselves further back down the hole in a worst case scenario. However there could be some decent value in young wing prospects at that pick that could be used as an extra bit of hope and a positional need filler in a soft rebuild on the fly situation. That's the only way to effectively do a rebuild like that without dumping Fox since he's now a max salary player. Kings fans have seen it all. Rebuild on the fly, signing minimum players to find a gem, etc. Swapping long term contracts around with other teams like candy never works. Petrie tried that after the glory years and basically lucked out that Ron Artest decided to brawl his way into the stands and out of Indy. Then he let Bonzi, the other piece of that puzzle, go over a squabble of what was basically chump change. Whoops. They've sandbagged Bagleys value. They've committed to long term deals to players then let Walton basically misuse them like he did his young players in LA. Going for a trade package isn't the issue with this franchise, it's everything else and unfortunately some of that can't be traded away.

do you honestly think the Kings are a player away? Hell does anyone on this board think the Kings, who don’t have a TPE and can’t sign more than a MLE think we are a mid level exception player away?
Contending? No. But I think this team is another solid draft pick and a good MLE signing away from being a 48+ win team and squarely in the hunt for like a 5-6 seed. The Kings death lineup was one of the best units in basketball and Monte obviously made strong moves to improve the horrid depth we had for most of the year. So:

Fox || Wright
Hali || Hart || Davis
Buddy || Wagner (FRP) || Hart
Barnes || Bagley || Metu
Holmes || Jones

I'd look strongly at Josh Hart or Talen-Horton Tucker with the full MLE. Super defensively versatile wings, adds real toughness/rebounding to the wing rotation. The Pelicans are already at 94 mil in contracts, before dealing with whatever Lonzo gets in RFA. Lakers are at 116 mil with Schroder, Caruso, Matthews, Drummond, Markieff all heading for UFA. So they're probably looking at minimum only guys to fill out their roster.

So:
Draft Franz Wagner
Early Bird rights for Holmes (4/47)
Match Davis in RFA
Offer Josh Hart/ THT the full MLE

My semi-realistic/optimistic hope for the off-season.

Contending? No. But I think this team is another solid draft pick and a good MLE signing away from being a 48+ win team and squarely in the hunt for like a 5-6 seed. The Kings death lineup was one of the best units in basketball and Monte obviously made strong moves to improve the horrid depth we had for most of the year. So:

Fox || Wright
Hali || Hart || Davis
Barnes || Bagley || Metu
Holmes || Jones

I'd look strongly at Josh Hart or Talen-Horton Tucker with the full MLE. Super defensively versatile wings, adds real toughness/rebounding to the wing rotation. The Pelicans are already at 94 mil in contracts, before dealing with whatever Lonzo gets in RFA. Lakers are at 116 mil with Schroder, Caruso, Matthews, Drummond, Markieff all heading for UFA. So they're probably looking at minimum only guys to fill out their roster.

So:
Draft Franz Wagner
Match Davis in RFA

Sign me up for targeting tough players. I still think there’s an outside shot at getting someone like Myles Turner or Mo Bamba (big difference between the 2, I know). I haven’t given up on the idea of that pick bringing back a tough vet. Maybe even someone like Brogdon or Draymond. I totally agree that one or two guys that play tough and smart can change the complexion of this team in a hurry.

Fox || Wright
Hali || Hart || Davis
Barnes || Bagley || Metu
Holmes || Jones

So:
Draft Franz Wagner
Match Davis in RFA

well except the point was they were going to trade the draft pick away so your premise is already flawed.

Think there's very little chance McNair trades the pick unless we get blown away by an offer. He showed us at the deadline he's not selling valuable assets for pennies on the dollar and is very much looking to acquire "good value" transactions rather than give them away.
funny .... here is a comment on Houston

Concerning free agency, the Rockets need to continue to develop their culture and build their core slowly and patiently. A 17-55 team should not be looking to make the biggest splash or overpay for middling talent. Making a minor jump in the standings and possibly pushing for a Play-In spot might appease the fans, but ultimately, it’s not the right way to rebuild.

Fox || Wright
Hali || Hart || Davis
Barnes || Bagley || Metu
Holmes || Jones

So:
Draft Franz Wagner
Match Davis in RFA

I think those additions would potentially improve the team a bit but I don't think that's enough to get the Kings into the playoffs. It's basically running it back with what we currently have with a couple of bench role players added. I just think we're a lot further away than that.

This isn’t remotely the main point of your post, but it’s so wildly off the mark of what actually happened, I can’t help myself.
Off the mark how? All you need to know about what went down is to watch how it ended. When it's within reason you relent to the player when you don't have anything to fall back on and John Salmons was clearly not a great fall back plan. When you allow impending FA's to become a major part of the backbone of your team you have to be aggressive either prior to the deal being up or after the negotiations begin. Sell high or buy back within reason and maybe at all costs if they are that important to your success. That team was in the playoffs and looked to have an interesting combo of unique talents. Petrie/Maloofs weren't aggressive at all. It cost Bonzi and the Kings in the end and yeah, his agent caught the blame but he probably didn't expect the Kings to be playoffless 15 years later either, haha. Some of the same basic mindset and consistent misdirection from ownership on down is plaguing this franchise now and it mostly revolves around being totally fine with being in the grey zone between immediate success and long term potential while typically failing at both simultaneously.

Last edited:
Well KAT has been around for damn near a decade, that's the difference. Fox is nowhere near a loser, just joining a rebuilding team that didn't even start building around him until 2019 or so. It's not the same at all

Oh and KAT has already choked in the playoffs
In fairness, KAT (6th year) was drafted two years before Fox (4th year). Not much of a difference there.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Off the mark how? All you need to know about what went down is to watch how it ended. When it's within reason you relent to the player when you don't have anything to fall back on and John Salmons was clearly not a great fall back plan. When you allow impending FA's to become a major part of the backbone of your team you have to be aggressive either prior to the deal being up or after the negotiations begin. Sell high or buy back within reason and maybe at all costs if they are that important to your success. That team was in the playoffs and looked to have an interesting combo of unique talents. Petrie/Maloofs weren't aggressive at all. It cost Bonzi and the Kings in the end and yeah, his agent caught the blame but he probably didn't expect the Kings to be playoffless 15 years later either, haha. Some of the same basic mindset and consistent misdirection from ownership on down is plaguing this franchise now and it mostly revolves around being totally fine with being in the grey zone between immediate success and long term potential while typically failing at both simultaneously.
I have to agree. Petrie should shoulder some of the blame for the Bonzi Wells fiasco. Even at the time it felt odd that he cut off negotiations and immediately funneled the money into a far inferior player. He could have waited him out instead of burning the bridge by immediately spending his cap space on John Salmons. Bonzi would have taken the original deal after on one else offered him a contract and we already know he was a good fit with that version of the Kings. John Salmons being an unmitigated disaster is hindsight, but he wasn't a player Petrie needed to prioritize acquiring when he already had an offer out to Bonzi coming off a playoff series where he averaged 23 and 12 against the Spurs and there were no counter-offers.