Bagley’s worth now

Except his biggest night of the season wasn't against OKC. It was against an Indiana team that is fighting for a playoff spot.

Yeah I know. Indiana doesn't count for whatever reason we make up. One game doesn't matter when he plays well, but one game really matters when he has an off night.

Last edited:
Except his biggest night of the season wasn't against OKC. It was against an Indiana team that is fighting for a playoff spot.

Yeah I know. Indiana doesn't count for whatever the reason whatever reason we make up. One game doesn't matter when he plays well, but one game really matters when he has an off night.
You mean the team that is imploding with coaches and players yelling at each other?

They had beaten the Thunders by more than 50 points a few days earlier. And they beat the Hawks yesterday. They were not imploding. They got frustrated by the Kings.
they couldn’t miss against the Hawks and they still would have lost if Tre Young hadn’t decided to quit playing team basketball and Jack up 3 pointers from 4 feet behind the line.

Bagley is who he is. He's capable of putting up 30 and 15 if given the minutes but he's not capable of playing winning basketball over any kind of stretch.

He's not the type of player you want to go "I told you so" on people because he'll make you look silly the next game and it doesn't matter which side you're on. But as always, by the end of the year his numbers will show you that he does not contribute to winning basketball.

I started this thread thinking Bagley’s worth was increasing with the 31 point game a while back. Others chimed in that he can’t stay healthy....Now he’s hurt again. I do think he’s a great offensive talent. But he’s hurt again. I hope not too badly.
I was thinking lately maybe trade him some team to move up to one of the top three picks in this draft? Kinda like the 49ers did.
But he’s gotta stay healthy. Frustrating!

I started this thread thinking Bagley’s worth was increasing with the 31 point game a while back. Others chimed in that he can’t stay healthy....Now he’s hurt again. I do think he’s a great offensive talent. But he’s hurt again. I hope not too badly.
I was thinking lately maybe trade him some team to move up to one of the top three picks in this draft? Kinda like the 49ers did.
But he’s gotta stay healthy. Frustrating!
No team in their right mind would give up that kind of value for Bagley.

gunks

Hall of Famer
No team in their right mind would give up that kind of value for Bagley.
For real.

But I was thinking along the same lines. IF (now moot with his recent sidelining) he was able to put up a bunch of 20/10 games to close out the year, I could see him potentially being a piece that could move us up a few spots in the draft.... 12 to 7/8ish maybe. Not enough to get us in range of a top tier player, but if there’s somebody the FO loves who’s just out of reach...

But alas, Mr. Glass got another boo boo.

For real.

But I was thinking along the same lines. IF (now moot with his recent sidelining) he was able to put up a bunch of 20/10 games to close out the year, I could see him potentially being a piece that could move us up a few spots in the draft.... 12 to 7/8ish maybe. Not enough to get us in range of a top tier player, but if there’s somebody the FO loves who’s just out of reach...

But alas, Mr. Glass got another boo boo.
Even then, I kinda doubt it. Moving up ~5 spots usually requires at least one more FRP level value and Bagley couldn't fetch that. Chriss for Papa G (lmaooooo) required Bogi and Skal, at the time who were essentially the 27th and 28th picks in the draft. Getting to 11 in 2016 required 16 and 19.

Bagley's probably more akin to negative value where he have to give away picks and draft spots for someone to take on his salary and baggage.

This has to be the team being overly cautious since there is no point in playing him, right? That's what I want to believe... I'm afraid it's not true so I don't really want to know. Dude probably gets sore from being sore too, so it'll never end. Sigh

At this point I'm mostly afraid that Bagley plays so well next year that ownership feels compelled to give him a big extension and then he returns to being Mr. Glass immediately thereafter.
Yeah, it's a scary thought but this team is probably all in on the same train anyway. Individually? I think it largely depends on what happens with Holmes and Walton. If they are both back I think he stays about the same since his role will likely continue to be the same.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Even then, I kinda doubt it. Moving up ~5 spots usually requires at least one more FRP level value and Bagley couldn't fetch that. Chriss for Papa G (lmaooooo) required Bogi and Skal, at the time who were essentially the 27th and 28th picks in the draft. Getting to 11 in 2016 required 16 and 19.

Bagley's probably more akin to negative value where he have to give away picks and draft spots for someone to take on his salary and baggage.
You’re probably right, but it’s these zany notions of mine that keep me around as a Kings fan!

Without baseless hope, I’d be long gone!

At this point I'm mostly afraid that Bagley plays so well next year that ownership feels compelled to give him a big extension and then he returns to being Mr. Glass immediately thereafter.
Contract year Bagley doesn't seem implausible, and for more than the injuries...

The guy who plays for his individual stats and his brand and those things alone. Oh dear...

Leave it to Vlade to select the player with arguably the least value of the top 8 draftees from 2018. It’d be between him and Mo Bamba at this point.

MB3 has certainly played in the least amount of games.

I’m hopeful for a big turnaround, but I’ve not seen any signs that it’s forthcoming.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Leave it to Vlade to select the player with arguably the least value of the top 8 draftees from 2018. It’d be between him and Mo Bamba at this point.

I’m hopeful for a big turnaround, but I’ve not seen any signs that it’s forthcoming.
He scored 30 points that one game. It’s going to happen every single game next season.

Huh? He's under contract for next year. He can get an extension, but I think everyone agrees it wont happenn. Next summer he will be a restricted free agent.
And if he sucks I have a feeling we'll wind up paying him 1 year on the QO and then he'll be unrestricted and leave us with nothing to show for the highest pick we've had in decades.

And if he sucks I have a feeling we'll wind up paying him 1 year on the QO and then he'll be unrestricted and leave us with nothing to show for the highest pick we've had in decades.
Bagley playing under the QO would be unbelievably dumb. With his performance/history of injuries, I'd be hoping to get a longer term deal sorted out asap.

Bagley playing under the QO would be unbelievably dumb. With his performance/history of injuries, I'd be hoping to get a longer term deal sorted out asap.
If he thinks he deserves to get a raise over his current contract the QO would give him one, of course it's a huge bet on himself and his ability not to get hurt.
If he sucks they dont have to make the QO making him unrestricted. They would still have bird rights.
We'd have Bird rights but no ability to match, that's why you make the QO - to match market value.

Presumably if there is no market for him at what he wants, he takes the QO as the bet on himself. Or he signs to a long term deal at a pay cut over what he presently makes.

Jaren Jackson Jr has played only 8 more games than Bagley.

Jaren Jackson Jr has played only 8 more games than Bagley.
Lost season for JJJ, but he's close to a perfect style big to succeed in the new age. Spacer, rim protection, extremely athletic. His game fits 2021. If he can overcome the injuries, he's at minimum at a high level starter for 10+ years.

Bagley has to learn to play in 2021 AND learn how to stay healthy. Lot of hurdles to overcome.